Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Anglo Irish Tapes

Options
  • 24-06-2013 9:30am
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Surprised there's no thread on this. Or maybe everyone is completely unsurprised. Tapes recording Anglo higher ups discussing how they would deliberately mislead the central bank in order to extract as much money as possible to prop up the sinking ship

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/tapes-that-reveal-what-really-led-to-national-collapse-29366839.html
    Mr Bowe then says: "If they (Central Bank) saw the enormity of it up front, they might decide that they have a choice. You know what I mean?

"They might say the cost to the taxpayer is too high. But if it doesn't look too big at the outset ... if it looks big enough to be important, but not too big that it kind of spoils everything, then, then I think you have a chance ... it can creep up."

It's almost Comic-Book Villain levels of evil. At the risk of sounding melodramatic, they should be charged with treason surely?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

At the risk of sounding melodramatic, they should be charged with treason surely?

No trial. Just round the bastards up and shoot them.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭kennryyr

Can't listen to the tapes cause I'm in work but yeah reading the transcripts it sounds bad. If they willingly f*cked us over well yeah I think they should be charged and sent away for a long time.

Also sell EVERYTHING they own and give it back to the people (yes I know this won't happen but would be fun)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭golfball37

Everyone knew it was thus. Nothing to see here. It will be ignored and the party will go on.

We're still waiting for the Lowry tapes to make the news even

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Surly that's enough evidence for them to see prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Cassette tapes. What is this, 1985?

People still use those?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,565 ✭✭✭Floppybits

In most normal functioning countries these folks would already have been locked up. In Ireland that is still not enough evidence to lock them up.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I was no fan of Brian Lenihan or FF, but the man must be turning in his grave today.

When you see what he was up against when trying to deal with these creeps.

It must have been like trying to catch an eel with boxing gloves on when trying to get a hold of what was going on at Anglo and other gambling banks.

infuriating stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

Ah sure there will be no charges, just like all the rest swanning about the country. Same old Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Is their a photo of John Bowe and Peter Fitzgerald so we can identify the treasonous Irishmen on the tapes?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Leiva wrote: »
    I was no fan of Brian Lenihan or FF, but the man must be turning in his grave today.

F**k Lenihan and f**k FF.

Those traitors sold this country down the river to protect a zombie bank that was of no use to the people and was only there to serve their mates from the Galway Races tent.

• Advertisement

Ah sure there will be no charges, just like all the rest swanning about the country. Same old Ireland.

these guys would probably be facing 20+ years if it was the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

I see that the two gentlemen involved are claiming that they didn't believe they were doing anything wrong.
    No doubt their solicitors have advised them to take this stance?
    But ...talk about smoking gun evidence!
    If the the legal system in this country fails to get a conviction in this case I fear the consequences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Our court/legal system is there to deal with the ordinary citizen, not the people at the top. Until the weak minded Irish citizen throws up a fuss then it wont change.. Constantly electing FF/FG government certainly wont change anything, they are party's of the elite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Zebra3 wrote: »
    No trial. Just round the bastards up and shoot them.

I'd prefer if we had a trial to be honest. Justice and all those archaic concepts that I do be reading about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Sergeant wrote: »
    I'd prefer if we had a trial to be honest. Justice and all those archaic concepts that I do be reading about.
    If you have such odd views, why are you posting in AH?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

They should be investigated by the Criminal Assets Bureau, with a view to seizing all their personal assets including bank accounts, property, and pensions.

The CAB should also seize any money or assets 'gifted' by them to others, similar to what they did with the Jessbrook Equestrian Centre which John Gilligan gifted to his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭TheFOB

Yeah they'll get a 5 year term with 4.5 years suspended after they give a token sum to the poor box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

And it is going to be in news for few days and than .. everybody is happy.

I am amazed how passive irish people are. I can't go out and tell you how stupid you all were during boom, I wasn't even in this country during boom. People care more about drink on Friday night rather than this.

If it was anywhere else huge protests and pressure would be put on government to deal with it, in Ireland? Maybe people will discuss it on Friday night drinking Guiness. Thats sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I'm confused. So the Central Bank gave them a loan of €7bn - a completely arbitrary figure, it seems now. How or why did they do that if there was no reason to pick that particular figure? Did Anglo forge documentation or did the Central Bank just decide that they were trustworthy fellows and give it to them on their say so.

It seems that my credit card application was given more thought than that first bridging loan was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

198321 wrote: »
    And it is going to be in news for few days and than .. everybody is happy.

I am amazed how passive irish people are. I can't go out and tell you how stupid you all were during boom, I wasn't even in this country during boom. People care more about drink on Friday night rather than this.

If it was anywhere else huge protests and pressure would be put on government to deal with it, in Ireland? Maybe people will discuss it on Friday night drinking Guiness. Thats sad.

Yeah but they gave the loan for doing up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What time will Sean Fitzpatrick be brought in for questioning today? as is the usual bullsh1t charade when something new comes out about Anglo

It seems there is something behind this as a surprise is coming as to who released the tapes and why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

If you have such odd views, why are you posting in AH?

I don't know man. I realise that in seeking a trial and a criminal investigation I'm going against the grain here. Being an extremist.

Perhaps we should just drag them out of their beds and shoot them in the head. Maybe get creative with our online bloodlust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

if I could get me hands on those 2 Sh.its
    he would be pulling more than numbers out of his arse..

The word C*** is too good a word for them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

"...that number is seven (€7bn) but the reality is that actually we need more than that. But you know the strategy here is that you pull them in, you get them to write a big cheque ... and they have to support their money."

How is John Bowe still be a free man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

What will spending them to prison do? Nothing but cost the tax payer €65,000 a year. For a lot of these people being isolated from friends and broke is far worse than a prison cell.

Take Berne Madoff the man who stole $50 billion from people in a pyramid scheme. His wife wasnt sent to prison but lives in their $10 million dollar apartment but most live on $100 a week and has to ride the subway.

For wealthy people losing your friends and being hatred by everyone around is a worse punishment of prison sentence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭theUbiq

I don't know man. I realise that in seeking a trial and a criminal investigation I'm going against the grain here. Being an extremist.

Perhaps we should just drag them out of their beds and shoot them in the head. Maybe get creative with our online bloodlust.

They should be beaten and tied naked to the spire... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

vitani wrote: »
    I'm confused. So the Central Bank gave them a loan of €7bn - a completely arbitrary figure, it seems now. How or why did they do that if there was no reason to pick that particular figure? Did Anglo forge documentation or did the Central Bank just decide that they were trustworthy fellows and give it to them on their say so.

It seems that my credit card application was given more thought than that first bridging loan was.

Anglo didn't reveal the true extent of the mess, its in the tapes. They plucked a figure out of their arses, 7BN. Enough to be thought of as a problem but not enough to be super serious. Once the 7BN was in, the government would have no option but to keep going.

This is all a waste of time anyway. As someone else already said, there will be no consequences for this, not action taken, no legal proceedings and no time served. We'll be back to drinking our pints by Wednesday morning...

We're a joke of a country, we got the country back in 1922 and it took us less than 90 years to destroy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Keyzer wrote: »
    Anglo didn't reveal the true extent of the mess, its in the tapes. They plucked a figure out of their arses, 7BN. Enough to be thought of as a problem but not enough to be super serious. Once the 7BN was in, the government would have no option but to keep going.

Well, yes, that's exactly my point. How the f*** did they manage to do this and why did the Central Bank (or whoever) not investigate fully before handing over the cash?

Advertisement