Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Piliger wrote: »
    No idea ... I wasn't born then :confused:

Well, the truth is that the media and women in general are constantly telling us that men are obsessed with women's look and women look for personality. It has become an accepted paradigm that we are almost not allowed to challenge.

So women really are driven by looks :rolleyes:

I didn't reply to a male model who contacted me as by reading his profile I know we wanted different things. So yes I definitely don't think looks are the most important thing. Personality and wanting the same things are.

Well you are wrong. With the acceleration of divorce etc and the natural ending of relationships, there is a huge number of 40s and 50s online in OD. I don't believe the difference is number is at all significant.

I am not wrong. That was MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE i was talking about. You don't know what my online dating experience has been like so you have no right to say I am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

Well you are wrong. With the acceleration of divorce etc and the natural ending of relationships, there is a huge number of 40s and 50s online in OD. I don't believe the difference is number is at all significant.

I would agree with Piliger there are a large number of men /women divorced and separated doing online dating in this age category . It is not easy for us to meet people outside of online dating and you can be upfront re your circumstances etc . I suppose if you are not looking at this age group or demographic yourself you will not know this . As i said lots of inbox messages in my mailbox from men my own age and a bit older .

alibab wrote: »
    I would agree with Piliger there are a large number of men /women divorced and separated doing online dating in this age category . It is not easy for us to meet people outside of online dating and you can be upfront re your circumstances etc . I suppose if you are not looking at this age group or demographic yourself you will not know this . As i said lots of inbox messages in my mailbox from men my own age and a bit older .

I have looked at this. If I do a search specifying the 20s age group I get much more results that in the 30s age group. I am not saying no people 50+ use dating sites. I am saying the they are not the majority of users therefore someone 50+ will obviously get less replies that someone in their 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I'm guessing those on here in their 20s and 30s who are based in Dublin are filling their boots to an extent with OD. But what about elsewhere? And if you're, say, over 40?

For me, even living in London with the huge numbers involved in OD I find it a struggle to get dates even after all the spadework I've previously outlined on this thread. I'm 43, with no "baggage" either.

Now if I was living in a rural area I could envisage problems, but in a big metropolis?

Is everyone just extremely picky these days? Nothing wrong with that and I am to a little degree (maybe that's why I'm single!) - but a cup of coffee? Jesus!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Well I live in Kildare and the pickings are very slim here, so I usually search for profiles in Dublin as there's a lot more women in Dublin and thankfully its not too far from me. I'm kind of on the border. Even at that though its still difficult to find someone and don't get many replies, and I'm in my 20's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

@Mr_Spaceman , jeez, I would have thought London would be rich pickings.....

Yeah I've heard that in London its actually un-cool not to be online dating.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I'm guessing those on here in their 20s and 30s who are based in Dublin are filling their boots to an extent with OD. But what about elsewhere? And if you're, say, over 40?

For me, even living in London with the huge numbers involved in OD I find it a struggle to get dates even after all the spadework I've previously outlined on this thread. I'm 43, with no "baggage" either.

Now if I was living in a rural area I could envisage problems, but in a big metropolis?

Is everyone just extremely picky these days? Nothing wrong with that and I am to a little degree (maybe that's why I'm single!) - but a cup of coffee? Jesus!

Anyone over a certain age have a certain amount of baggage once passed 30's. Very few people don't have baggage. You one of the lucky few in your age group to not have baggage.

You think in London there be more of a choice? More people meaning more choice?

You'd be surprised it can be harder maybe to meet people in rural areas but if anything the pool is smaller and cast the net in a small area it can be easier to find someone but not easily meet as many compared to in a bigger city/town. Choices are limited in a smaller area compared to a bigger one.

True I think people are being more careful who they choose as a partner. Can't help if being fussy but being too open can be either a good or bad thing but means you attract all sorts then if you close the net a bit but I suppose widening it means you might meet someone you might not think is your type. Meeting various types get you to know what suits you not what you think suits you as a partner.

I probably could write a list for the reasons I am single....

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm guessing those on here in their 20s and 30s who are based in Dublin are filling their boots to an extent with OD.

Women in their 20's or 30's living in Dublin probably are filling their boots but it's not exactly easy for men unless you look like Brad Pitt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I posted here a while back about a girl I was talking with online(on tagged, 'dating bebo' basically) Anyway first day of college it turns out I'm in the same class as her, didn't say anything, but was awkard(presumed for both of us) then went home and talked online and was like haha did you know that was me and she was like 'i do remember you now' but she more or less said I'm uglier in person! Daaaaaah and I always thought I was better looking in person. In fairness it could be her just distaning herself from the awkwardness since she was sending me 'loves' like there was no tomorrow.

EdenHazard wrote: »
    I posted here a while back about a girl I was talking with online(on tagged, 'dating bebo' basically) Anyway first day of college it turns out I'm in the same class as her, didn't say anything, but was awkard(presumed for both of us) then went home and talked online and was like haha did you know that was me and she was like 'i do remember you now' but she more or less said I'm uglier in person! Daaaaaah and I always thought I was better looking in person. In fairness it could be her just distaning herself from the awkwardness since she was sending me 'loves' like there was no tomorrow.

I think your right. Just make a joke of it as you'll be in the same class for a long time!

seachto7 wrote: »
    @Mr_Spaceman , jeez, I would have thought London would be rich pickings.....

I know - especially for a man with my rugged good looks and charm!

Still, I have a date tomorrow, so once more into the breach, dear friends!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Got 2 messages on OKC this afternoon (yes 2, not 52 :P), one of them at 2pm. By the time I got to read it at 7pm, he'd deleted his profile!? The other from a guy I'd been talking to in August. He just disappeared and to be honest I never noticed...not a good sign :D

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

No idea ... I wasn't born then :confused:

Well, the truth is that the media and women in general are constantly telling us that men are obsessed with women's look and women look for personality. It has become an accepted paradigm that we are almost not allowed to challenge.

So women really are driven by looks :rolleyes:

I think they are probably driven by looks + personality as a combo. So someone they really fancy with a 'good enough' personality will win out over someone with a 'very good' personality who they don't fancy as much. Which makes sense really.

I know - especially for a man with my rugged good looks and charm!

Still, I have a date tomorrow, so once more into the breach, dear friends!

I have one on Thursday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 MizzWolfie

I think if most people are honest, Online Dating proves how powerful physical attraction is to most of us. You are excited when you receive a message from someone whose appearance excites you, it's harder to respond to someone whose appearance has no effect on you.

That being said, I would try not to base my response on a handful of pictures. I would never meet someone I found attractive unless I thought we clicked in other ways. In fact, with all of the guys I've met, their personality/interests has absolutely been the deciding factor. I've received messages from guys I thought were hot and never met them cos of an attitude/boring-ness. Of the five guys I've met, I wasn't terribly excited by the appearance of any of them beforehand. In real life, I was attracted to two, and far more attracted to one than I'd have imagined. So I think everyone should give people the benefit of the doubt - and who knows, you might get lucky!

@hollypink - I'm in two minds about that guy. On the one hand, his honesty seems almost like a braver move. But the "I'll get back to you if it doesn't work out" does sound arrogant and condescending. More broadly, I think he's crazy! Cut out all other options after one good date ... chickens and hatching comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

What I look for in a profile involves looks and personality, I won't lie. Only problem is that usually works the other way as well. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

foxinsox wrote: »

Just back from date tonight.. a glimmer of hope, he is gorgeous and I got a kiss..

I've a kinda good feeling about this one..

Only hesitation is, he is 8 years younger than me?

Scary or wha?

DISCLAIMER: This may all go tits up in the next few days and I will eat the words above :-)

Aaaaaaaand it's all gone tits up!

Note to self: don't get good feelings about them... jinxes it!

I reckon it was the age thing..

But - I find it really find it hard to understand how a guy (this particular guy not all guys) could spend 5 hours with me, chatting having a laugh, he was the one who said he wanted to see me again, he was the one who went for the kiss.. got a lovely goodnight text saying he had a great night.

Today nothing... I text him about 8pm said "Hi, did you have a good day?"

Nothing back..
    Thought ok maybe he's busy etc.. no bother..

I go on dating site - I'm blocked!
    facebook - defriended!

The thing that bothers me is that it would be so simple to text some reason? Is that too much to ask?

ffs - here we go again.............

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

But - I find it really find it hard to understand how a guy (this inparticular guy not all guys) could spend 5 hours with me, chatting having a laugh, he was the one who said he wanted to see me again, he was the one who went for the kiss.. got a lovely goodnight text saying he had a great night.

Nothing back..

facebook - defriended!

The thing that bothers me is that it would be so simple to text some reason? Is that too much to ask?

Cowardly behaviour. Don't waste another second thinking about him.

• Advertisement

But - I find it really find it hard to understand how a guy (this particular guy not all guys) could spend 5 hours with me, chatting having a laugh, he was the one who said he wanted to see me again, he was the one who went for the kiss.. got a lovely goodnight text saying he had a great night.

Nothing back..

facebook - defriended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

But - I find it really find it hard to understand how a guy (this inparticular guy not all guys) could spend 5 hours with me, chatting having a laugh, he was the one who said he wanted to see me again, he was the one who went for the kiss.. got a lovely goodnight text saying he had a great night.

Nothing back..

facebook - defriended!

sorry to hear that foxy.....

i got a couple of replies last night, nice light hearted chat, and she's local enough to me too.

tonight, however no mails........ and she's online. :o

ah well

gatecrash wrote: »
    sorry to hear that foxy.....

i got a couple of replies last night, nice light hearted chat, and she's local enough to me too.

tonight, however no mails........ and she's online. :o

ah well

thanks..

*but I will say, sometimes I'm online but I could be off making coffee, or on the phone or have another tab open and forget I'm on dating site page also..

* me being optimistic and not losing all faith in online dating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

thanks..

*but I will say, sometimes I'm online but I could be off making coffee, or on the phone or have another tab open and forget I'm on dating site page also..

ah i'm not bothered.... just getting back into this O.D. thing and not getting ANY sorts of hopes up.

Nothing back..

facebook - defriended!

Sorry to hear that - but if that's the kind he is aren't you better off without?

You sound nice so I'm sure there's a nice guy round the corner for you ;)

CastorTroy wrote: »
    What I look for in a profile involves looks and personality, I won't lie. Only problem is that usually works the other way as well. :)

But you can't judge someone's personality over the internet. Someone could have very similar interests to yourself but then when you meet there's no spark, which is why I think looks do play a big part because you just can't be sure about everything else.

riveratom wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that - but if that's the kind he is aren't you better off without?

You sound nice so I'm sure there's a nice guy round the corner for you ;)

Yeah, but I'm annoyed at myself for believing his lines..

Round the corner is grand, but it's them long sweeping thousand mile corners that I seem to be getting! :cool:

Sorry to hear that Foxy - but he sounds like an immature dick. And a liar.

His loss.

Onwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

thanks..

I was out working all day Saturday, and my PC was off, but I was told later that I as online all day .... you cannot trust the 'online' thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    But you can't judge someone's personality over the internet. Someone could have very similar interests to yourself but then when you meet there's no spark, which is why I think looks do play a big part because you just can't be sure about everything else.

It depends.

You can get a sense of people if they're a decent writer. A profile that just lists their interests tells you nothing but some are also good at projecting their sense of humour and what really drives them.

If you have some opportunity to see them interact with others then even better, the okc journals and forums used to be great for that.

Obviously you have to meet to see what's "real" about them and what's them projecting their best self but I do think a lot of people vastly overestimate their ability to size up other people after a quick meeting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement