Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AXA Raheny 5 miler 29/1/2012

Options
  • 22-11-2011 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭

Entry online has just opened here.

I'm biased, but its generally acknowledged as one of the best races in the land. Good course, great atmosphere and expertly run by my Raheny Shamrock clubmates. A nice post-Christmas A-race.

Garmin link here
    Last year's thread

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 57 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    85%
    rainbow kirbyhardCopyplodderchristebnetmannTarfHeadmal1Woddlekonaahe316rovers_runnermenoscemopistol_75ndrBirdsongBurgman3 Dollar Billsurfjunkypotsy11Name Changed 49 votes
    3 stars (average)
    12%
    bmurphy8177Wally Runsrovers2001average_runnerRayCuntoyoungFieldsman 7 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    1%
    antomagoo 1 vote
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

3 stars (average)
    yeah, it's a great race, great atmosphere on the day.
    There are two kids races - an 800m and a mile - beforehand (at least I presume they'll be on this year too)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Why oh why cant west waterford and raheny organise to have two super races on different days. The competition in Dungarvan would be alot better.
    Typical that two of the best races in the country have to be on hte same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

3 stars (average)
    This is a very good race and will sign up for it. This an Dunboyne 4 miler are two great races for early in the year.

Looking forward to it as be my first race of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Mike D

Got an email reminder last night which was nice. Will deffo do it again this year, (5th time). Really good atmosphere and very well attended. fair play to them shamrocks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

4 stars (good)
    Looking forward to this. Nice one to start the year off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

First time in 2 years that I wont be injured when this takes place. Game on, always good depth of field.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

4 stars (good)
    Definitely in for this one. Will be horribly disappointed if I don't break 40 minutes this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

4 stars (good)
    Also definitely doing this and going to put my balls on the chopping block...sub 33 which might only be a PB by 7 seconds but this is the race that's going to tell me I'm back :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Thought I might miss this but I've missed the deadline to pay for my course now, so I'll probably give it a whack.

My target: Beat Woddle. :D

3 stars (average)
    My target - beat Raccoon Queen and Woddle

Nah, too easy :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Just signed up for this.

I used to live around this neck of the woods for a couple of years in my early twenties. I haven't been back in ages !

First time to take on a 5-mile race, but I have done an 8km, which is close enough for me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

What are the chances of this filling up and registration closing beforehand do ye reckon?? It will hardly have reached any kinda capacity the week leading up to it, will it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

4 stars (good)
    What are the chances of this filling up and registration closing beforehand do ye reckon?? It will hardly have reached any kinda capacity the week leading up to it, will it?

There's no limit (within reason of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

But just in case I mislead anyone - as per their website (typos included! :) ) there will be no entries on the day of the race.
    2012 AXA RAHENY 5 ROAD RACE

TO enter the 2012 AXA Raheny 5 Road race on January 29, 2012 please click on the link below and follow the instructions.

http://www.activeglobal.com/gl/running/dublin-ireland/axa-raheny-5-2012

PLEASE NOTE NO ENTRIES WILL BE ACCPETED ON THE DATE OF THE RACE.

ON LINE ENTRIES CLOSE AT 11PM ON SATURDAY, JANAURY 28, 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Hmm Its a good way of operating, online reg open until 11pm the night before, your not going to decide any later then that to do the race! (plus last years on the day late entry fee of 30euros was abit steep!)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

never done a 5m before but i better have a go at this since its only down the road.
    it'll be good to get started for 2012.
    out of interest has anyone any idea what the route is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    shivDCM wrote: »
    never done a 5m before but i better have a go at this since its only down the road.

There's a sticky at the top of this sub-forum with all the GPS profiles.

Anyway here you go: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/66202274

just spotted ur garmin line christie.
    thanks.

cheers memo.
    looking forward to that now i am.
    nice run by ray last year.
    i'd be delighted with 35 mins.

3 stars (average)
    It's a nice route - leave something in the tank for the run up the hill around the 4 mile marker, and we take a loop of the park at the end...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    cheers memo.
    looking forward to that now i am.
    nice run by ray last year.
    i'd be delighted with 35 mins.

Yeah it's a lot flatter than the garmin profile looks. Even 'the hill' at 4 miles is not really much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

4 stars (good)
    RayCun wrote: »
    It's a nice route - leave something in the tank for the run up the hill around the 4 mile marker, and we take a loop of the park at the end...

Yep, remember the extra little loop at the end. You can see the finish line, but have another 500m or so before you get there.

I won't be running this now (eye on the marathon prize), but will be helping out on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

That loop caught me out first time I ran the race - heard the tannoy, saw people milling around so started to sprint, about 300m too early, not this time loop, not this time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

3 stars (average)
    Will be running this. Its more of a sharpening exercise for me as be my first race since the Dublin marathon disaster.
    Will also only have a months training behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Really wanted to do this as a "comeback" race - but Im away that weekend.

bah!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Trampas

what will the latest you can reg for this?

3 stars (average)
    ON LINE ENTRIES CLOSE AT 11PM ON SATURDAY, JANAURY 28, 2012
    as it says just above
    original typos included :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Are the walkers on a separate course or are they mixed in with the runners?

3 stars (average)
    G-Money wrote: »
    Are the walkers on a separate course or are they mixed in with the runners?

Same course but they start 15 (?) minutes earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

4 stars (good)
    RayCun wrote: »
    Same course but they start 15 (?) minutes earlier

Do you know what the idea behind this is? I've never run this before but would all the runners not hit a big wall of walkers a mile or two into the race?

Advertisement