Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheny 5 Mile 30/1/2011

Options
  • 27-10-2010 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi. Does anyone have a date yet for the Raheny 5 miler in 2011? Tryin to structure a sharpner for the race.
    Thanks

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Athmosphere, Value, Organisation 27 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    70%
    The Foolchristebrovers_runnerbo-scoBurgmanguaposMacanrichinguettiMisterDrakCapricacwgatlingRayCunNialler73Bettytdonal2000JosDelEdMosesOswalderWozzaah 19 votes
    3 stars (average)
    29%
    zAbboPWEIRacoonQueenmenoscemosarsfieldsrockwgtomblinKedo93mucky13 8 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

3 stars (average)
    crosbie wrote: »
    Hi. Does anyone have a date yet for the Raheny 5 miler in 2011? Tryin to structure a sharpner for the race.
    Thanks

30th of January I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

4 stars (good)
    30th of January I think.

yep, it's always the last Sunday in Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

4 stars (good)
    I've just started training for this and am hoping for sub 35. I was 36.30ish last year but I ran the route the other day and it took me 38.30, which was a big suprise as I'm running alot more these days. Do other people find a similar difference between training times and race times? or should they be closer.

Great race, goodie bag and atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

guapos wrote: »
    I've just started training for this and am hoping for sub 35. I was 36.30ish last year but I ran the route the other day and it took me 38.30, which was a big suprise as I'm running alot more these days. Do other people find a similar difference between training times and race times? or should they be closer.

Great race, goodie bag and atmosphere.
    Looking for a sub 35 in this myself Guapas. Did 36:09 in 2009 but was sick this year which is a pity as I like this race. Don't know what the official rule of thumb is for training versus race pace but I've found I usually run about 6% or 7% faster in a race than training which might put you about 36min....but 3 months to go still :)

3 stars (average)
    I'll be going for a good sub 35 in this aswell, my 5 mile pb is almost as woeful as my 10k one. Have never done this one before so hoping to do it next year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Might give this a crack, got so close to 40 minutes last year that it would be a shame not to have another go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

If i stay injury free hope to go sub 34.. a long long way off that now but thats the target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Ah crap it clashes with the Dungaven 10 miler and with a spring marathon being the plan I'll have to give it a miss which is a shame as it's a super super race.

3 stars (average)
    Woddle wrote: »
    Ah crap it clashes with the Dungaven 10 miler and with a spring marathon being the plan I'll have to give it a miss which is a shame as it's a super super race.

Crap. I'd rather do Dungarven. I have issues to deal with with the 10 mile distance after Frank Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Crap. I'd rather do Dungarven. I have issues to deal with with the 10 mile distance after Frank Duffy.

Mallow is better, and faster than Dungarvan imo, solves both your problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

4 stars (good)
    Going to give the Raheny 5 Route a Blast (slow one) on Sunday morning. First Movement since the DCM... Got to re-start somewhere.

Then Scones and Jam and Cream in Bay...:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Mallow is better, and faster than Dungarvan imo, solves both your problems.

I've heard good things about Mallow but Dungarvan is closer to my parents house.

4 stars (good)
    The date has been confirmed as the 30th Jan, 2011. Enter online - €20 here.

Did someone say sub 30? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

christeb wrote: »
    The date has been confirmed as the 30th Jan, 2011. Enter online - €20 here.

Did someone say sub 30? :D

Bring it on Sub 30 here too!;)

4 stars (good)
    foleyalan wrote: »
    Bring it on Sub 30 here too!;)

I might need a jockeyer up the Watermill Rd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Peckham

...and here!

Need a short-term target to get my running mojo back. Ran 29:55 in Raheny5 back in 2007 or 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Sub 30 mmmmm not this time would take sub 35 .

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Dunno... We got flyers for it after the Tom Brennan 5k this afternoon, but that was such a disaster that I don't know if I'll be able for another race this month. Can anyone tell me if it's only "serious" runners at it? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    Dunno... We got flyers for it after the Tom Brennan 5k this afternoon, but that was such a disaster that I don't know if I'll be able for another race this month. Can anyone tell me if it's only "serious" runners at it? :P

No, there's a huge mix of runners at it, plenty of walkers too. It was my first 5 mile race last year (first time running 5 miles at all), and the atmosphere was great. Before the main race there were kids races, and there was a big crowd of spectators. I'd really recommend it.

Good to know :). I'll see how I feel around the 25th, and just reg on the day if I decide to go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Good to know :). I'll see how I feel around the 25th, and just reg on the day if I decide to go for it.

At the risk of sounding a bit conscending what you should be doing is entering the race now. (It will be dearer on the day anyway).

Two good reasons for this besides the money. Firstly this will provide you with the motivation to get out and train and secondly this is a good and realistic target to reach after your 5k.

As well as this there is a great atmosphere at this race.

Now I think that is four good reasons to enter!:D

Good point. It will be a good experience for me to learn to pace myself properly, after my disasterous lack of pacing today :P. Plus, if there's walkers and other newb runners at it I won't feel as bad if I do need to walk a bit (not that I intend to walk at all! but ye never know).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

3 stars (average)
    Just signed up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    Due a bump I think...

Who else is going to be there? What's the pub afterwards? :D

4 stars (good)
    Favorite race of the year... Promised myself that i would have proper volume training done for it this year, but the snow put pay to that...

Anyway going to give it a blast, and hopefully something around 33m will be on the cards...

Going to run the course, to get the head right on Tuesday evening if anyone is interested...

4 stars (good)
    MisterDrak wrote: »
    Favorite race of the year... Promised myself that i would have proper volume training done for it this year, but the snow put pay to that...

Anyway going to give it a blast, and hopefully something around 33m will be on the cards...

Going to run the course, to get the head right on Tuesday evening if anyone is interested...

What time Tues?

4 stars (good)
    RayCun wrote: »
    Due a bump I think...

Who else is going to be there? What's the pub afterwards? :D

I'll be volunteering before and after so not sure if I'll be in the pub - if I do get a chance then the Watermill is the best bet (across the road from the SuperValu in Raheny village). My gaff is 100m from the start-line, I love this race :)

4 stars (good)
    christeb wrote: »
    What time Tues?

christeb,

After I get back from work to the car, usually around 6:20 - 6:30pm...

4 stars (good)
    want to meet at the club at 6:30 and see can we rope the lads to do a couple of laps of the course? 5m is a bit short for me

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Cool, sounds like a plan... See you at 6:30pm...

Dont know about a "few laps"... A fast 5m, and a couple of wade Ave will do me... My recovery time aint the same as you young folk...

Advertisement