Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art O Neill Challenge 2012

Options
  • 20-09-2011 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

HI All,

Just to let you know that www.artoneillchallenge.ie is now live and taking entries

We plan to use the facebook page as a forum for tips/questions etc. We will also be having frequent competitions on the FB site and we will also be profiling key figures in the challenge.

There is a restriction on the number of participants this year so be sure to get in early if you are up for the challenge.

There may be slight modifications to the route around checkpoint 1, at Kippure House, which I will update with grid refs as soon as it happens.

Happy training. We will have info nights closer to the challenge for runners and walkers separately.

All the best,

Gearoid

last year's thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Hi Gearoid,

I just signed up, but had problems entering details- there's no scroll bar, so I had to highlight boxes to scroll under the ads. Also, wasn't charged;) What is the cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ezikel

Hi Gearoid,

I just signed up, but had problems entering details- there's no scroll bar, so I had to highlight boxes to scroll under the ads. Also, wasn't charged;) What is the cost?

You must have entered before I took it off testing mode. A number of people did.........too quick off the mark! I have set it to active now so have another go, all of the test registrations would have been deleted when I set it to active so the one you did earlier is null and void.

Let me know if you have any probs

G

Just tried again, got the acceptance email, but no payment screen came up.

I stress I'm not unhappy with this state of affairs, but you may want to have a look at the website...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ezikel

Just tried again, got the acceptance email, but no payment screen came up.

I stress I'm not unhappy with this state of affairs, but you may want to have a look at the website...;)

Fixed.....thanks donothoponpop!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You never gave us our discount code. :pac:

No more procrastinating for me. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I've been meaning to follow the Family Footsteps for awhile. 2012 will be the year:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

A few quick questions after looking over the website, and list of mandatory kit:

What sort of gps have people found useful for navigating this in the past (assuming you get coverage and don't have to fall back on map+compass)?

What type of waterproof bottoms would you use (anything I've got for hiking would be too bulky or hot to run in), I'd of assumed you'd just go with thermal tights and gaitors or some such, but I've little experience of offroad running.

A down jacket, is that just part of spare kit or would you wear it when running? What's the distinction between this and an appropriate layering of thermal layers under a waterproof shell?

"Extra footwear"? Do you need to carry this with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

kingQuez wrote: »
    A few quick questions after looking over the website, and list of mandatory kit:

What sort of gps have people found useful for navigating this in the past (assuming you get coverage and don't have to fall back on map+compass)?

What type of waterproof bottoms would you use (anything I've got for hiking would be too bulky or hot to run in), I'd of assumed you'd just go with thermal tights and gaitors or some such, but I've little experience of offroad running.

A down jacket, is that just part of spare kit or would you wear it when running? What's the distinction between this and an appropriate layering of thermal layers under a waterproof shell?

"Extra footwear"? Do you need to carry this with you?

Only the gear with asterixs beside them are mandatory. So down jackets, extra shoes are not mandatory.

You're allowed leave a bag of kit at the start which is then transported to the first checkpoint. So what happened on the run/hybrid was that some people changed footwear at the first checkpoint from road shoes to trail shoes/hiking boots.

I've a pair of Berghaus paclite bottoms. They're fantastic. Some reviews of running waterproofs here:

http://www.mudsweatandtears.co.uk/2009/03/18/i-love-my-pants/

Were there many doing the ultra last year?

As well as the bag drop I assume you're meant to carry another one with all the essential kit in it? The backpack I run with at the moment is too small. I'll have to go gear shopping, I'm not unhappy with this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

Were there many doing the ultra last year?

As well as the bag drop I assume you're meant to carry another one with all the essential kit in it? The backpack I run with at the moment is too small. I'll have to go gear shopping, I'm not unhappy with this. :)

Hi RQ, don't get too bogged down with the gear/kit thing. A lot of the small compulsory bits can be borrowed or are not expensive.
    You'll still be unsure at 2am on race morning regarding shoes, leggings, jackets etc!

It all depends on the weather on the night, and how long you plan to be out for.

IMO, the Walk is much harder than the Ultra. 14/15 hours on your feet over the mountains is not much fun.

So get out and recce the route and do the Ultra, :)

• Advertisement

The route that is listed includes gridpoints- "Ascending Black Hill we then head over to O:051 076 , then O:048 068 and down to Billy Byrne's Gap O:043 067
    Now it's over to O:034 060 and on to Glenbride O:039 043". Are these recommended or mandatory? If not mandatory, is there free route choice between checkpoints? I was out today around Billy Byrne's gap, and contoured around to the Glenbride ref, but might recce again running down to the river, which might ease the Nav on a dark and wild night.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

There's a traditional route choice from Black Hill to Ballinagee, and there's a route choice favoured by runners.

The grid references and route from Black Hill to Ballinagee are the traditional (walkers) suggestions which some will find a little complex, but if speed and convenience is your goal (runners) you might try O:048 069 after Black Hill and then on to the forest exit at 0:049 038 which leads to the Ballinagee checkpoint. It's merit is simplicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Hey all, quick question: when exactly is it on?

The website says:
    "JANUARY 13TH 2012, DUBLIN CASTLE, TREK STARTS AT MIDNIGHT, ULTRA STARTS AT 2AM"

I'd be walking, if I signed up, but just to be completely clear, because 'midnight' is a confusing time, is the Ultra starting at 2AM on January 13th, or 2AM on January 14th?

I presume that competitors would be heading to Dublin castle late on Friday evening, starting Friday night, and then finishing mid way through saturday 14th?
    But I'd just like to check for sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

If you're walking you'll be leaving Dublin Castle at midnight on Friday 13th. You'll be walking into Saturday morning and finishing Saturday afternoon.

The runners start at 2am on Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Nialloooo

Hi Guys is there anyone looking for someone to run with? id love to give the ultra a go but i have no navagtion skills so im kinda scubbered unless there is an one ruuning as a team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I missed last year but from what I've been told, and read, is that if you can't navigate you will be put into a group with a navigator when you reach Kippure. Hope to do it myself this year.

Nialloooo wrote: »
    Hi Guys is there anyone looking for someone to run with? id love to give the ultra a go but i have no navagtion skills so im kinda scubbered unless there is an one ruuning as a team

Have you ran any of the mountain sections in daylight yet? Get yourself a decent map (the EastWest "Wicklow Mountains West" is the best), and try recce'ing a section. I went from Wicklow gap to Billy Byrne's gap last weekend, nothing beats experience. Hope to get out and do all the off-road section at different times before the race, with at least some done at night. Maybe anyone intending to recce could post it up here, and we can share the load? I'll be out this weekend, will post times and places if anyone is interested in joining.

Nialloooo wrote: »

Assuming I'm still in(I may have been a little hasty by registering last week) then I will be. I've actually signed up to the Outdoors Ireland MS1 course so I can, hopefully, learn how not to die in the mountains. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seanjodonnell

Signed up for this as a runner, If anyone plans on taking on some of the off road sections for practice and would like some company let me know (not that im experienced, would just be nice to do it with company).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

OK so quick question.

I’m a marathon runner and would love to give this a go but.... I certainly ain’t in a position to enter a race and then pay a few hundred quid on gear that I might only use once. Am I right that it would cost a fair bit ? Or is their some cheaper way round it I’m not seeing ?

I don’t really know anybody to borrow the gear off either.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

OK so quick question.

I’m a marathon runner and would love to give this a go but.... I certainly ain’t in a position to enter a race and then pay a few hundred quid on gear that I might only use once. Am I right that it would cost a fair bit ? Or is their some cheaper way round it I’m not seeing ?

I don’t really know anybody to borrow the gear off either.

Thanks!
    cant recall what i spent on gear for this but it wasnt very much,if ur walkin it ul need to get more stuff,aldi or lidl sell a snow geararound this time so u can get loads of layers off them

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

My advice would be that you are better off investing in one good set of merino base layers than a number of the cheaper non merino ones :D aldi and lidl have them sometimes so its worth keeping an eye there and also try the pategonia shop on wicklow st as they usually have discounted versions!

Are the ones in Lidl and aldi just as good then? Aldi had some when they had their bike deals on a few weeks ago but I figured it'd be a bit crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Are the ones in Lidl and aldi just as good then? Aldi had some when they had their bike deals on a few weeks ago but I figured it'd be a bit crap.

The Aldi base layers are decent enough.I wear them loads in the Winter and think they are excellent value for money.
    However I would agree that it is very worthwhile investing in good quality gear,because it will last you forever.I always keep an eye on when the sales are coming up, cause you can really build up a great collection of gear without spending a fortune. I got some really good half price Icebreaker base layers in 53 Degress North around this time last year and I think I will be opting for those as opposed to the Aldi gear for the Art O'Neill. Think the key is layering though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Homer1798

I've used the Aldi stuff cycling and walking in extreme weather and found it performs better than some of my more expenseive gear. when it goes on sale get in there fast as it seems to sell out quite quickly and sizes can be limited. I've found thier comression gear very good.

Went up from the road to three lakes area, scouting a few routes. It was tough going on the top, zero visibility and perma-slop! Tried descending along the river just west of Art's cross... suffice to say I will not be nav'ing by the river on the night! Its a tough enough section this one.

What kind of training plans are people doing for this? I presume following a marathon schedule?

I'm considering doing Pfitzinger and Douglas 12 week plan up to 55 miles per week. It's only 12 weeks away this Friday. Eeek.

Given that I won't be running the whole thing, i.e. walking up hills/rough ground, stopping for nav etc, I don't see the point in training beyond marathon training?

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    What kind of training plans are people doing for this? I presume following a marathon schedule?

I'm considering doing Pfitzinger and Douglas 12 week plan up to 55 miles per week. It's only 12 weeks away this Friday. Eeek.

Given that I won't be running the whole thing, i.e. walking up hills/rough ground, stopping for nav etc, I don't see the point in training beyond marathon training?

I'd be broadly following a similar P&D <55 mile, but without religiously sticking to the daily plan. As much time in the hills as I can muster- three hours walking/jogging/climbing through slop and heather at the weekend felt a lot harder than a three hour LSR! I've also started to run as much by headtorch as I can- at the moment this has been on roads or trail, but I hope to get in some decent open mountain moonlight excursions in the coming months.

Cheers, DoNot. That's my thinking on it too, not going to follow it religiously but get a few big training runs in plus a few hikes.

• Advertisement

Time for me to unsubscibe from this thread methinks. Next year RQ, next year... :(

Might still be able to do the hybrid, would rather do the ultra if I'm doing it. First time I've been excited about a race in over a year and the hybrid just doesn't do it for me so seems rather pointless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement