Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you support any British sports teams?

Options
  • 04-09-2011 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

I struggle to understand why so many Irish are interested in various British sporting teams.

The justification seems to be a close proximity, but this is hardly a valid reason. Look at mainland Europe: do they follow teams from neighbouring countries to such an extent?

Then there are those who point to the Irish players in the British leagues. Sure, this may be true, but this only happens because of the lack of interest in League of Ireland -- how can they compete when all their players are swallowed up?

I wouldn't really care if the same people who adore these teams addressed their bilateral hatred for British culture and core values.

As things currently stand it's more than a little hypocritical.

Do you support any British teams? 492 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    64%
    regiRasTaD-GenerateDont be at yourselfDempseyHelixChips LovellFighting IrishDundalkDuffmanweemcdDe Hipsterjesus_thats_greAgent Smithjimmycrackcormefbmobbyrainbow kirbyraven136Diddy KongKingp35 319 votes
    I don't support any teams/not interested in sport
    35%
    Peter BDocazezilCiaranCentropitony 2 tonejoolsveeromahaidPonster[Deleted User]EglintonhardCopydlofnepapplehunterMr. PresentableR0otkirvingKorvanicaPatricideAmazotheamazing 173 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No
    Yes, I do.
    Why not?

I support British teams as much as I support any other world teams (and sports) I like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Yag reuoY

No
    Biggins wrote: »
    Yes, I do.
    Why not?

It is a completely different country.

Do you support any Irish teams?

No
    Yag reuoY wrote: »

Do you support any Irish teams?
    Most definately - even if they don't have much chance of getting far.
    Support them for their efforts - not just when they are winning.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No
    I struggle to understand why so many Irish are interested in various British sporting teams.

The justification seems to be a close proximity, but this is hardly a valid reason. Look at mainland Europe: do they follow teams from neighbouring countries to such an extent?

Then there are those who point to the Irish players in the British leagues. Sure, this may be true, but this only happens because of the lack of interest in League of Ireland -- how can they compete when all their players are swallowed up?

I wouldn't really care if the same people who adore these teams addressed their bilateral hatred for British culture and core values.

People in every continent on the planet support british soccer teams(spainish teams too,possibly italian).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Personally no - but I live in Canada and the English Premier League is extremely popular here. A lot of my Canadian friends support English soccer teams. I don't see a problem with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭rounding tattenham Corner

its not just ireland, go to singapore on a saturday night and watch all those locals watching and supporting english football, also in norway there has always been a great love of english football.
    so i'm not sure what you're on about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

The thing that made me laugh was when the queen visited. There were protesters with banners stating "Queenie Out" whilst wearing their Man Utd jerseys!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

What aspects of British culture, and what "core values" do these people hate?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What a fresh and original topic!

Anyway, there's like 10 million Man Utd supporters in China, so it's not just something which applies to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No
    Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

What angle are you coming from on this OP?

Are you talking about the hypocrite 'tiocfaidh ar la' heads wearing Manchester jerseys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

No, I'm not British.

No
    its not just ireland, go to singapore on a saturday night and watch all those locals watching and supporting english football, also in norway there has always been a great love of english football.
    so i'm not sure what you're on about

There is a key difference: other nations don't harbour such bitterness towards the British.

It really is a pathetic spectacle.

No
    What a fresh and original topic!

Anyway, there's like 10 million Man Utd supporters in China, so it's not just something which applies to Ireland.

China doesn't hate Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Its the entertainment factor too? People support english soccer teams because they are amongst the best, and easily watched. Irish soccer is not.

Irish rugby provinces though are at the top, and are also easily watched so you don't see people supporting english rugby teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

No
    Yep, I'm a Chelsea fan through and through. Influence of a cousin got me into them, and I've just loved em since I was 6. Don't know why, particularly, but probably the high exposure of the English Premier League over here, wanting to belong to what was once a small and select group of football fans.

I love my little trips over to London (and beyond sometimes!) to see Chelsea playing. Either on my own, or with friends, you can always be guaranteed to have a bit of craic going over to the games. I love the whole atmosphere over there, and it's even better at away games. When you're in the minority, when it's us against them, hedged into a small area into the worst stand in the opponent's stadium... the roar of the crowd, the urging on of the players, the passion, the highs, the lows, the glory, the pain... it's all there. and it's just absolutely enthralling and addictive.

No
    The thing that made me laugh was when the queen visited. There were protesters with banners stating "Queenie Out" whilst wearing their Man Utd jerseys!!!!

A great example of the sheer hypocrisy that I aim to highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

China doesn't hate Britain.

Ireland doesn't hate Britain. I know you're suggesting that some bigotry exists here, and it does. But to hint that 'Ireland' hates Britain is fairly bigoted too.

No
    Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    What aspects of British culture, and what "core values" do these people hate?
    Why don't you start a thread on that - except make it about ALL countries - and not just pick on England again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Red Bull Racing & McLaren in F1.

Both are British teams (well Red Bull are Austrian and British) but it has nothing to do with which country theyre from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

No

'a completely different country' you say, but is it?

Therein lies the age old conundrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭rounding tattenham Corner

There is a key difference: other nations don't harbour such bitterness towards the British.

It really is a pathetic spectacle.

i agree with you on the hippocrates, but i never have had any bitterness to anything british (except Arsenal) so does not apply to me and i'd say i'm in the majority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Biggins wrote: »
    Why don't you start a thread on that - except make it about ALL countries - and not just pick on England again?
    Hm?

I genuinely curious what "core values" and culture of the British he thinks Irish people hate.

What do you think they are Biggins? I'm at a loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No - I'm not a fan of field sports, or team sports in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No
    You have valid points OP but you're wasting your time. People will argue about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin before admitting they eschew otherwisg fervent national feelings to glory hunt English teams.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No
    stovelid wrote: »
    You have valid points OP but you're wasting your time. People will argue about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin before admitting they eschew otherwisg fervent national feelings to glory hunt English teams.

Way to tar everyone with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Football fans like to watch good football, English teams play good football! I don't see any problem in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

No
    Yes I support English football teams, Irish ones too. I will be cheering for Ireland on Tuesday and if they unfortunately don't make it through to the European championships i will follow england and hope to see them do well, why not. They are our nearest neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The Manchester Evening News claims it's around the 70 million mark.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The PL is extremely popular in Scandanavia and many SE Asia countries to name but two other regions (I even met a Man United supporting Buddist monk on my travels :P).

Advertisement