Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats in garden

Options
  • 28-06-2011 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Does anybody have a solution for keeping cats from soiling gardens. I've tried numerous ideas, but a neighbourly cat manages to by-pass them all and leave its calling card. I know that a dog might be the answer but that's not on in my case. I have netting, I close glass house door but to no avail. I'm really annoyed that people can leave their cats to freely toilet in other peoples' gardens.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Think Woodies have stuff that you can put down but not sure how good it works though...
    Probably the best method is a bucket of water thrown at them..

I went up stairs yesterday to find a cat sleeping on my bed....:mad:

Called the dog up and he soon sorted the cat out....
    Was funny watching them both trying to get some grip on the wooden floor....
    Dont think the cat will be back in a while...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Minka

there's a deterrent spray you can get in any pet shop - they do work, had problems with my own cat soiling certain parts of my garden and after a few sprays to the spots he found himself somewhere else, heard spraying vinegar also works.

Minka wrote: »
    after a few sprays to the spots he found himself somewhere else

actually, hope the "somewhere else" is not your garden :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

vinpaul wrote: »
    I'm really annoyed that people can leave their cats to freely toilet in other peoples' gardens.

Seriously, you blame the owners?

There's no telling cats!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I'm really annoyed that people can leave their cats to freely toilet in other peoples' gardens.

I had a word with my cat earlier today - just in case it's my cat that's doing the deed in your garden - All is sorted now, there'll be no repeat. :D

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

astrofluff wrote: »
    I had a word with my cat earlier today - just in case it's my cat that's doing the deed in your garden - All is sorted now, there'll be no repeat. :D

Astro, just saw your cat with a crate of Tennants Super heading towards the OP house :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

bloody cat woke me up at 2am, fighting what sounded like a baby(possibly not)right outside my bedroom window. There was crap in the garden this morning too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Leave loads of bits of lemons/ oranges around. They hate citrus and apparently this works!

dr ro wrote: »
    bloody cat woke me up at 2am, fighting what sounded like a baby(possibly not)right outside my bedroom window. There was crap in the garden this morning too.

must be mating season lol, cats outside my house wailing like banshee's last night! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

ElleEm wrote: »
    Leave loads of bits of lemons/ oranges around. They hate citrus and apparently this works!

it does! my cat used to love to take a dump in my veg bed :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭rokossovsky

if you know someone working in the Zoo they coould give you a bit of elephant gic or lions gic to put in your border. supposed to work really well:D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Fi Fi

If u put some twigs around the border of your garden, and stick a few upside down bottles of water in the grass that may work. That advice might only work for getting rid of dogs though, but it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I saw once on a documentary that if you hit two twigs together it works as a deterrent on cats and they will come nowhere near the noise!

Oh, hang on. Was that Mountain Lions and the Parent Trap? Now I'm just not sure. :confused: Must be all the vinegar/citrus/water bottles in the air!

Seriously though, I think catnip works a treat :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Get either a dog or a shot gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,041 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Folks - Please stop advocating cruelty to cats.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Does anybody have a solution for keeping cats from soiling gardens. I've tried numerous ideas, but a neighbourly cat manages to by-pass them all and leave its calling card. I know that a dog might be the answer but that's not on in my case. I have netting, I close glass house door but to no avail. I'm really annoyed that people can leave their cats to freely toilet in other peoples' gardens.
    i had the same trouble with cats crapping in my garden where my kids play.my arguement is if i threw my kids soiled nappys into cat owners garden they wouldnt be to happy [its exactly the same thing as letting your animal out to soil my garden]so i bought a large humane animal trap and now i [relocate]these pests

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Get either a dog or a shot gun

For the owners !:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

We had a problem with cats in the front garden too. I put down pepper, chili powder, a 2 liter 7up bottle full of water and so on. None of these worked so we covered the flower beds with some canvas stuff and covered it with coloured stones. The cats have moved on the so other place to leave their trademark.
    We put the plants in through holes in the canvas. Looks rather nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

Maudi wrote: »
    i had the same trouble with cats crapping in my garden where my kids play.my arguement is if i threw my kids soiled nappys into cat owners garden they wouldnt be to happy [its exactly the same thing as letting your animal out to soil my garden]so i bought a large humane animal trap and now i [relocate]these pests

To be fair, that's a ridiculous argument. If cat owners were to collect their cats' faeces and throw them over the wall then it would be "exactly the same thing". As was pointed out earlier, you can't tell cats not to go to the bathroom in people's gardens, it's not a matter of "letting your animal out to soil my garden".

I hope you're joking about relocating people's pets because that's seriously messed up. Applying your "logic", it would be the same thing as relocating your children if they wandered into their garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

That is horrendous, I really hope you are joking. Though it wouldn't be very funny. We have 3 cats, one cat and two kittens. Our cat is allowed outside and i'm hoping he doesn't go to the bathroom in people's gardens but I have no way of controlling him. I hope he doesn't go into your garden. Even though I have cats, two cats regularly go in my back garden. I wouldn't relocate them. I have a water squirter and scare them off. I would have no problem with people doing similar to my cats. This really scares me that people could be so cold about people's pets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Minka wrote: »
    must be mating season lol, cats outside my house wailing like banshee's last night! :)

Same here, the cats that is, drove my dog mad, had to get up at 3am to bring dog into the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

if you know someone working in the Zoo they coould give you a bit of elephant gic or lions gic to put in your border. supposed to work really well:D

Heard this many times but good god who wants to be spreading lion gic all along your wall, nice surprise for your neighbours, mind you the swarms of blue bottles might give it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Wow, so now we know why there are so many missing/lost cat threads. :mad: I cannot believe someone would be that callous.
    Any chance you could let people know where you relocate them to so that they’ve at least some chance of finding their pets??? :confused:
    Humane animal traps cost a lot of money, mabey if you’d asked for advice like the OP, you wouldn’t have been out of pocket & people might still have their pets. Thank God I don’t live near you & my cats are indoor only. At least people now know who to go to when their cat goes missing.:rolleyes:

Anyway, back to the question.
    Cats don't like to walk on rocky/rough surfaces, and they prefer to eliminate on loose soil, mabey put down rocks or pine cones for mulch in your garden or lay chicken wire down on top of your soil.
    You could also put down mothballs (drop them into a can or jar, cover, and make a few holes in the cover as they are toxic to cats & I doubt they’re very child friendly either)
    You could try stringing some unwanted CD's together with knots in between to keep them apart, put them across flower beds and vegetable plots or hang them from trees. Bit unsightly but the idea is the cat sees the reflections, gets spooked, and hopefully leaves.
    Certain plants & herbs are meant to deter cats. There is one, Coleus Canina that cats, dogs and even foxes will avoid. It’s also known as the "pee-off plant" or the "scaredy cat" plant. It releases a stench that cats can’t stand. Other plants are lavender, pennyroyal, rue, garlic or Rosemary. FYI, Catnip or catmint has the opposite effect & you'll have a cat party in your garden!!
    Spraying water on them will only deter them for that moment. Cats don’t think like dogs & humans, they don’t get the “he did that cause I did that” All they know is you sprayed them & it won’t stop them coming back.
    Other things cats hate are citrus, cinnamon, lemon grass & tinfoil.
    Hope this helps.:)

cotton wrote: »
    Wow, so now we know why there are so many missing/lost cat threads. :mad: I cannot believe someone would be that callous.
    Any chance you could let people know where you relocate them to so that they’ve at least some chance of finding their pets??? :confused:
    Humane animal traps cost a lot of money, mabey if you’d asked for advice like the OP, you wouldn’t have been out of pocket & people might still have their pets. Thank God I don’t live near you & my cats are indoor only. At least people now know who to go to when their cat goes missing.:rolleyes:

You call someone callous for protecting her kids from unsanitary conditions, yet you keep your cats indoors at all times? You sound like the callous one to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

You call someone callous for protecting her kids from unsanitary conditions, yet you keep your cats indoors at all times? You sound like the callous one to me.

Oh for God's sake, I'm callous for keeping my cats indoors? Do you know anything about it or is that just your expert opinion? Try googling it.

I didn't say he/she was callous for protecting her kids from unsanitary conditions, but for taking other people's pets & relocating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,041 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Folks - please lay off on the personalised attacks

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

cotton wrote: »
    Oh for God's sake, I'm callous for keeping my cats indoors? Do you know anything about it or is that just your expert opinion? Try googling it.

I didn't say he/she was callous for protecting her kids from unsanitary conditions, but for taking other people's pets & relocating them.

Keeping an animal like a cat indoors 24/7 is not natural. if it is for the cats safety then it should be considered if that home environment is suitable in the first place.

I say fair play to her for removing a pest in a humane matter - better than just shooting them or throwing stones at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Have you seen those rubber lenghts of prickly plastic you attach to tops of your walls / fences? supposedly works

also try this site

http://www.deteracat.co.uk/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

I say fair play to her for removing a pest in a humane matter - better than just shooting them or throwing stones at them.

Please tell me you're not being serious. You can't honestly condone people disposing of/"relocating" people's pets?

As previously stated, there are ways and means of deterring "pests" other than separating beloved pets from their families, which is cruel, unjust and heart-breaking for both parties involved.

• Advertisement

Completely serious - my childs health is of far greater concern to me than the feelings of someone that is not correctly caring for their animals.

Advertisement