Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's damn rude to ask, damn rude

Options
  • 24-07-2011 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭

Was in a local restaurant with aging visiting country aunt - we are friendly with the owner; he has been in Ireland for over 30 years.

When he came to our table in his usual friendly manner I introduced him to said aunt who rudely and bluntly asked him where he was from? engaging no further then this. I told her off after but alas it fell on clueless deaf auld ears. You just don't ask but there is no getting through to this type of set in their ways Irish person.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

She only asked where he was from, I don't see the problem tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

"I'm Irish sure, racism is part of my culture"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

She asked him where he was from?

Whats wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Chinasea wrote: »
    Was in a local restaurant with aging visiting country aunt - we are friendly with the owner; he has been in Ireland for over 30 years.

When he came to our table in his usual friendly manner I introduced him to said aunt who rudely and bluntly asked him where he was from? engaging no further then this. I told her off after but alas it fell on clueless deaf auld ears. You just don't ask but there is no getting through to this type of set in their ways Irish person.

Pity. But old people are scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

You scolded your eldery aunt like a naughty child and she's the rude one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

How is asking someone where they are from being rude?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

She only asked where he was from, I don't see the problem tbh.
    I guess it smacks of just looking for a label for someone. She wasn't interested in how he came to be here, or how long, or anything else about him. She just wanted the label, it seems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Storminateacup if you ask me...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

So old Aunt tried to make conversation by asking somebody where they are from and you got the hump? :confused:

Doubt she'll be coming to visit you much in the future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

OP is blobbing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Gotta love boards!
    Old woman: where are you from?
    PC Police: how dare you, you ignorant old racist.

Grab a dictionary bro, and look it the fug up. Racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

jesus big deal:eek:

Gotta love boards!
    Old woman: where are you from?
    PC Police: how dare you, you ignorant old racist.

Grab a dictionary bro, and look it the fug up. Racist.

I'm usually in the PC police and even I think it's over reacting.

Also we have whistles and fancy hats. Being in the PC police is great. Except for the racist grannies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Op it comes across to me that you were the rude person treating an elderly aunt the way you did she should have told you fcuk yourself but the old dear probably just smiled at you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I suppose it depends on how she asked maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

So OP, how did the owner react?
    Or are you just taking offence on his behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

It's 1/25 with Paddy Power that the OP doesn't return to this thread, realises now the he/she completely over reacted and that old country Aunt is now the darling of After Hours :P

I guess it smacks of just looking for a label for someone. She wasn't interested in how he came to be here, or how long, or anything else about him. She just wanted the label, it seems?

You could be right, but it's still overreacting imo if she didn't actually say anything particularly offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Storminateacup if you ask me...

not if you're from carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

OP you come across badly in this story, not your Aunt.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

OP, where are you from?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    OP, where are you from?

You racist scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I often ask people where they're from. Amazingly enough I don't do this out of an intense hate for everyone who isn't Irish, but an actual interest in other people and particularly other cultures.

Similarly, if I was in foreignland and someone asked me where I was from, I probably wouldn't punch them and walk out either. I'd probably say "Ireland", and expect either a comment or a question in return, as per the accepted rules of conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Mickeroo wrote: »
    OP, where are you from?

You should be banned for asking that! :mad:
    Very offensive question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Hmmmm....in fairness now, if that's the only question she asked him and asked him in a direct rude manner (as OP stated), then it might not just be a case of making small talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Unless she refused to talk to him because he wasn't from Ireland this is a fairly major overreaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Ah c'mon-tell us where's he from,I'm dying to know now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

housetypeb wrote: »
    Ah c'mon-tell us where's he from,I'm dying to know now.

Haha...was going to say the same thing...where's he from??? I won't rest till I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

OP this is shocking, you must have been so embarrassed, will you ever leave the house again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

He was either from China or Belfast,I reckon

Advertisement