Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google+ Invite Thread

Options
  • 29-06-2011 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

This is Goggles new foray in to social networking. I saw it on Sky News. It's by invite only.
    It looks pretty cool , and I think that it could knock Facebook off as the king of social sites . I love the idea of circles, with facebook everone see you post , not with circles . How many "friends" on facebook do you have ? Now how may of them would see on daily basis, or want to see?

http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/28/google-plus/

https://plus.google.com/up/start/?sw=1&type=st

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

Cos google buzz was so successful? And btw, facebook has got those privacy features...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Want to give me an invite?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 andrewshawire

I wouldn't mind an invite, if they are going around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

This is going to turn into an invite thread by the looks of it. So I'm going to get my foot in the door and request one also

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Ahem.

Invite, please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

feck the invite, i want a cheezeburger!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

Invite pretty please folks of the interwebs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Whats all this about invites? Going all gmail on us again are they?

jumbone wrote: »
    Cos google buzz was so successful?

Good point. As the saying goes, "If at first you dont succeed, give up"....oh wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

What about Wave. Anyone remember that? :pac:

But I'm intrigued by this. Seems to categorise contacts by similar activities and interests rather than having an increasing number of people that most of them you know only briefly. Erm, that's not to say that it's going to happen with Plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

I was gonna post this up but its done for me. Thank god for Robots doing all your work.:p

So my question was Google plus anyone?

But i dont need to now as i take it were all going together .
    Now that we have Circles we should create a B.ie Circle. although i dont know how many will like that. ya'll seem like sketchy characters :p:p:D

(sorwy if i hurt you)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

Invite button got removed, no more for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

LOL @ google trying to create a facebook clone :rolleyes:

Google should just stick to the things that they are good at (search and mail)

Look at youtube now, Its a mess

Trevor451 wrote: »

Look at youtube now, Its a mess

Is it. What about Chrome and Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

I messing around with it now. The image quality is f**king glourious. As a photog, I just despise facebook in so many ways! The have a monopoly on my social networking and easy outreach ability but they give me this rubbish platform to share my work on. I have some invites to but im going to post them on the photographers forum just to spread it around a bit more as I know not everyone will check the computers forum! I'm excited and I'm already using it really easily! 10 mins and now I'm comfy with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Im sitting in front of chrome right now! Im short an android phone because I cant afford the one I want! Some innovation is part luck and part skill for it to settle and take off. I really hope google gives this a big shot!

Im sitting in front of chrome right now! Im short an android phone because I cant afford the one I want! Some innovation is part luck and part skill for it to settle and take off. I really hope google gives this a big shot!

Yup i love chrome. Your not the only one my Android will set me back €561 so i still need €540 :( but i will have it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

The old youtube user interface was far better. I also hate the way they always feature YT partners content above normal youtube users.

I also find Firefox to be better than chrome (the extensions on chrome suck)

Another reason I don't like using chrome is because all text you enter into the url box is sent straight to google.

Trevor451 wrote: »
    The old youtube user interface was far better. I also hate the way they always feature YT partners content above normal youtube users.

I also find Firefox to be better than chrome (the extensions on chrome suck)

Are you ever going to add any substance to your criticisms?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I messing around with it now. The image quality is f**king glourious. As a photog, I just despise facebook in so many ways! The have a monopoly on my social networking and easy outreach ability but they give me this rubbish platform to share my work on. I have some invites to but im going to post them on the photographers forum just to spread it around a bit more as I know not everyone will check the computers forum! I'm excited and I'm already using it really easily! 10 mins and now I'm comfy with it!

You do realise that there's a copyright clause in facebook T&Cs that gives them copyright rights with any and all photos you upload, even after you remove them?

That's why no photographers actually upload their work onto facebook, or if they do, it's tiny size and watermarked to fcuk.

I'd be checking the T&C's of this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,994 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Facebook is bad enough. Google having direct access to my social network data would be even worse.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Facebook is bad enough. Google having direct access to my social network data would be even worse.

The ads you may or may not see, it doesn't bear to think about!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Overheal wrote: »

I've never understood people freaking out over google/facebook/microsoft/apple/twitter etc. having all this data. What do you put up on your social networking that has you worried? Everything I put up is relatively mundane shíte. My last three status updates were about 1) a toothache 2) passing my exams and 3) a power cut. If google had this information they'd just show me an ad for painkillers, party hats and a torch. Apart from targeting ads what else does this data get used for?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I've never understood people freaking out over google/facebook/microsoft/apple/twitter etc. having all this data. What do you put up on your social networking that has you worried? Everything I put up is relatively mundane shíte. My last three status updates were about 1) a toothache 2) passing my exams and 3) a power cut. If google had this information they'd just show me an ad for painkillers, party hats and a torch. Apart from targeting ads what else does this data get used for?

My god, you don't know?

Google would then know that at some stage in the future, you're going to need to see a dentist. They would then buy out all the dental companies in your locality, and as you were unaware of the new T&C's when you visit, you would have a GPS/video/voice/IR/NV/nanomachines/ETC device installed into your tooth. This would give Google all the information they'd ever need on you.

And by mentioning that you'd passed your exams, you've allowed google to keep up to date tabs on your education. This will be kept in a database and sold to the highest bidder.

And that info about a power cut, google will keep a record of how often power cuts occur in your locality, and if any of your friends had complained of the same thing. Then before you know it, google will be providing their own source of power for your locality! Once this power line is installed, it will also provide google a direct link to your home and will transmit, via nanomachines, all data on the happenings in your house.

And you thought they were harmless....:pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

My god, you don't know?

Google would then know that at some stage in the future, you're going to need to see a dentist. They would then buy out all the dental companies in your locality, and as you were unaware of the new T&C's when you visit, you would have a GPS/video/voice/IR/NV/nanomachines/ETC device installed into your tooth. This would give Google all the information they'd ever need on you.

And by mentioning that you'd passed your exams, you've allowed google to keep up to date tabs on your education. This will be kept in a database and sold to the highest bidder.

And that info about a power cut, google will keep a record of how often power cuts occur in your locality, and if any of your friends had complained of the same thing. Then before you know it, google will be providing their own source of power for your locality! Once this power line is installed, it will also provide google a direct link to your home and will transmit, via nanomachines, all data on the happenings in your house.

And you thought they were harmless....:pac:

Time to blow my brains out again.

Does anyone have a link for the android apk. Can't get it on the android market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

What does one have to do to get a f**k**g invite?
    Is it really worth it?

BigCon wrote: »
    What does one have to do to get a f**k**g invite?
    Is it really worth it?

PM me your email address and I'll fire you off an invite.

PM me your email address and I'll fire you off an invite.

I can't send invites any more. Sorry guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

If anyone has any invites PM me.

As I do not have google+

• Advertisement

mach1982 wrote: »
    If anyone has any invites PM me.

https://plus.google.com/107117483540235115863/posts/PhJFJqLyRnm
    We've shut down invite mechanism for the night. Insane demand. We need to do this carefully, and in a controlled way. Thank you all for your interest!

For any who wish to leave, please remember you can always exit and take your data with you by using Google Takeout.

It's your data, your relationships, your identity.

Advertisement