Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital USB 2.0 DVB-T HDTV TV Tuner Recorder & Receiver

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Nice. Will this work with the Irish digital signal? It says on the advert that it cannot support mpeg4?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Nice. Will this work with the Irish digital signal? It says on the advert that it cannot support mpeg4?

Since the irish signal is mpeg4, sounds like no :( pity!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

it will work, the mpeg-4 decoding is done in software e.g. Coreavc, ffdshow etc..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

I can confirm it works perfectly with the Irish Saorview service!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

So what exactly will I be able to watch on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

okidoki987 wrote: »

was thinking the very same myself ,except i was afraid to ask..

And can some one explain how it works please??

The digital terrestrial channels. RTE,TG4 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

u plug it into your laptop or computer

then use windows media centre or similar, and you can watch the irish dtt channels

simples ;)

BArra wrote: »
    u plug it into your laptop or computer

then use windows media centre or similar, and you can watch the irish dtt channels

simples ;)
    But how can it work when it specifically says that it doesn't support MPEG4? :confused:

I presume this doesnt pick up BBC or ITV or channel 4??

• Advertisement

bigron2109 wrote: »
    You are correct in your presumption.

You are correct in your presumption.

Well there goes that Purchase. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

But how can it work when it specifically says that it doesn't support MPEG4? :confused:

+1 ?

+1 ?
    I'm guessing you have to install something like CoreAVC or ffdshow as mentioned above. Will VLC Media Player work guys? I love VLC and use it for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,035 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

It depends on the software you use. The software it comes with might not do mpeg4 but windows media center or similar might work, it does on windows 7 with similar tuners

• Registered Users Posts: 30,035 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I'm guessing you have to install something like CoreAVC or ffdshow as mentioned above. Will VLC Media Player work guys? I love VLC and use it for everything.

Not sure... I know I can record a channel with "altdvb" and then open the file in vlc while its being recorded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Anyone tried it with Linux?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Not unless you live in the Border counties, you might get a Freeview signal

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

I bought one of these a month or two ago for very little from a Hong Kong seller as a shot-in-the dark. It has been surprisingly good, especially at the price of a packet of cigs.

It actually does, I just recorded MOTD2 off BBC1 earlier. I think I am picking up a signal from the North (I am not a million miles from the border), though my aerial is not pointed anywhere in particular and the signal can break up at times (on the UK channels, all the Irish ones are fine).

I can see BBC 1, 2, 3, 4, News, CBeebies and "Red Button".

I think it will, but you would have to know all the frequencies etc. and create a separate MRL shortcut for each, no scanning of channels in VLC I think.
    docentore wrote: »
    Anyone tried it with Linux?

Nope, no idea if there are drivers, it shows up as a "Winfast DTV Dongle Gold BDA Device" in my Win7 Device manager.

They're selling like hotcakes since this thread was posted :D. The only worries I have is that the seller has bad feedback and I think he might be away at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Negative Feedback in last month is 9% :eek:

Negative Feedback in last month is 9% :eek:
    Yeah really bad! I'm just after getting an "order shipped" email though so.............

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

Does this connect to a normal rooftop aerial as well as the small aerial supplied? thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Yeah really bad! I'm just after getting an "order shipped" email though so.............

Have always got my money back from paypal in event of a problem, my friend in paypal says that basically if the seller doesn't have a tracking number you get your money back, if they have a tracking number it gets complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

phill106 wrote: »
    Since the irish signal is mpeg4, sounds like no :( pity!
    parasite wrote: »
    it will work, the mpeg-4 decoding is done in software e.g. Coreavc, ffdshow etc..
    xp90 wrote: »
    I can confirm it works perfectly with the Irish Saorview service!!

Could somebody please post a quick explanatory paragraph explaining how user friendly (ie. how painful!) it is to get this bit of kit to display Saorview?

- If its a case of launching 3 different apps each time I want to watch a certain channel I think it might not be worth the hassle :confused:

Any bit of concise, clear and accurate advice would be gratefully appreciated!!!

Raiser wrote: »
    Could somebody please post a quick explanatory paragraph explaining how user friendly (ie. how painful!) it is to get this bit of kit to display Saorview?

- If its a case of launching 3 different apps each time I want to watch a certain channel I think it might not be worth the hassle :confused:

Any bit of concise, clear and accurate advice would be gratefully appreciated!!!

Its really simple,

1. Have the latest divx installed
    2. Install driver that comes with the device along with the software (Blazedtv)
    3. Scan for channels and enjoy!!

Any other questions just ask!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

http://www.ebest24.co.uk/usb-20-digital-dvb-t-tv-stick-recorder-tuner-receiver-2227.html

Have a look at that stick on this site.They give a pretty good description of what it will and will not do.

That ones a bit expensive no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

xp90 wrote: »
    That ones a bit expensive no?

Possibly, but for the sake of a few quid, I'd prefer to be absolutely certain of what I was getting!!!!

Advertisement