Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this beast a baby sparrow?? (Bob and Cede)

Options
  • 25-06-2010 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭

I'm not good at identifying the birds so I've decided to ask here. Is the one in the picture a sparrow?

bob6-25chillinoutcopy.jpg

I found it almost two weeks ago while jogging in the local football pitch. I thought it was dead because it was completely blue and there were flies sitting on him. But when I looked closer I noticed that bird's neck was slightly moving as it was breathing. So I picked it up, it was cold as stone, but after few minutes in my warm hand it started moving a tiny bit. The baby bird was just there lying on the grass in the open field, there were no trees or bushes around where the nest could have been. So I took it home, I didn't think it had a chance to survive.

Here's the pic on the day I found it:
    bobfound.jpg

Few days later, he's still alive. We named him Bob ;)
    bob6-17.jpg

Ah little Bob, he's a fighter!
    bob6-19.jpg

The bird is getting quite active now. He's making noises when hungry, grooming his newly grown feathers and digging around his 'nest'.
    I think I'll have to contact somebody to take him away soon to get him ready for release. It's a wild bird and it belongs to the wild.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Incredible - I wouldn't have thought that it could survive at that age and now he seems to be thriving - you obviously have a magic touch. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Amazing alright. How do u manage to feed him? Worms? He looks like he could be a starling. It will be easier to know in a while when he gets a bit older and gets more feathers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

My first thought was Magpie :)

No idea of size from pics and the beak seems finch like, but I'm probably just showing my ignorance. An incredible sequence of pictures, fair dues to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

The thing that's really bothering me is, why did you call him Bob ? :D

Seriously though, this a great effort - hope the little chap will survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Bob was my boyfriend's idea. But he calls everything/everybody Bob :)

Bob is definately not a starling - his beak is much shorter. And magpie was most likely the reason how he ended up in the middle of the field.
    Finch maybe? Bob is tiny, here:
    bob6-25size.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Angus Og

Young goldfinch?

I used eye dropper to feed him first week. First days he wasn't always opening his mouth and had to be force fed. He could not hold his head up either. Now I switched to syringe because he eats up much more. To be honest I don't know when to stop giving him food because he would eat past the point where the sack on his neck would explode :D His favorite is boiled egg mashed up together with dog food. I add some ground budgie food to the mix sometimes, it seems to be working and bird is growing fast.

Angus Og wrote: »
    Young goldfinch?
    like this one? wow that's a very pretty bird :)
    goldfinch-CR-B-GF17.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

is yours a green finch i wonder.By the way well done. you indeed have a magic touch .keep the pics coming .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

This is just such a heartwarming story. Fantastic pictures and such an amazing story of survival thanks to you. I hope he continues to thrive :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Aww, fair play to you for nursing the wee thing back to life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

http://www.arkive.org/greenfinch/carduelis-chloris/image-A17784.html

Some pics of greenfinch nestlings in that site for comparison.
    What a lovely thing to do OP and how wonderful that Bob surived :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Angus Og wrote: »
    Young goldfinch?
    Bill looks a bit blunt for goldfinch.
    Bob looks like he has the start of a supercillium behind heis eye, plus he has the start of a wingbar. Hard to say for sure though:confused:
    Problem with Bob when releasing him into wild is that House sparrows are flock birds not solitary. Bob will need to be released into a flock I would guess. Hopefully they would take to him.
    Bob is hardy though, it's amazing he survived. Respect to J@utis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Would you not consider keeping the bird?. :)

Whatever it is, it's too cute to let into the wild where it's safety isn't guaranteed!.

I'd really like him to fly free one day. I think it's unfair to keep any wild animal in captivity. Only if it's not possible to release him then I'll have to look for a new home for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

What a fantastic story. Fair play to you OP. Id say its some kind of finch judging by the beak, and given how small baby finches are, it's amazing you spotted Bob in the first place.

With regards releasing him back to the wild, id definatly do my homework on that one if I was you. Im no expert but it seems to me that Bob is currently totally dependent for food from you and even when fledged he will not have the know-how or skills to fend for himself in the wild. That is a trait that wild birds develop from their parents and as part of a flock.

I agree that as a wild bird it would be better to release him back into the wild but I think by you looking after him at home, you will ensure he is never in danger and always fed and he will have a fairly long life im guessing. His life in the wild could be very short lived indeed if released. Another thing is that becuase you got him at such a young stage, he's never experienced freedom and in that sence has never been a wild bird.
    Best of luck in whatever you decide and as i said, im no expert on this and what ive said above is only my thoughts. If you did keep him, you could always get him a zebra finch from a pet shop as a companion.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I'd have to agree with the posters above, I think releasing a captive reared bird into the wild would end badly. 90% of small birds don't survive their first winter, and a captive reared bird even less of a chance. Looks like you have a new pet! Once it is positively ID'd, you can find out what to feed it. Expect it to live anywhere from 2 to 10 years, with 10 being very exceptional. 2 to 3 years would be normal.

Bob is overindulging on perfectly ripe mango :D

boboverindulginghimself.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Bob knows the craic, mangoes are feckin' tasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Bob knows the craic, mangoes are feckin' tasty

Knows the craic!!! Lmfao hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

great job, I think it's a chaffinch

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Just spotted this thread. Looks like a young goldfinch to my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

He is certainly getting bigger well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

i'm lovin this thread, great to see bob develop the way he is, nice one OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Morganna wrote: »
    He is certainly getting bigger well done.

Here here

Looks like Bob has the early markings of a junior goldie!
    gonna keep a keen eye on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Your new name - the Bird Girl of Bray. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

J@utis,
    This is an excellent piece of work.

You seem to have the knack.

Although you probably don't need any guidelines; a few pointers for others who may find themselves in your position are:
    Food may need water added immediately before feeding to avoid any risk of dehydration.
    Food for Finch chicks, which are mainly seed eaters as adults, tends to be high in insects. Greenfly, Caterpillars and Earthworms mushed up is ideal.
    Feeding this little fellow won't be much different to the process that Canary and other Cagebird breeders use. Hard boiled egg mashed into some rusk is a healthy treat. Canary rearing seed mix will be excellent as he fledges. Any good Pet Shop will advise. Or contact a local Cagebird society if there is one nearby.
    Finches feed their young on a mush of seed kernels, grit and small insects such as greenfly, so replicating that should help. Grit is very important to a birds digestive system and must not be forgotten about. Again, a Pet Shop can advise as there are specific types of grit that should or should not be used.

Great work.

I'm looking forward to updates on this thread.

:):)

Oliverdog wrote: »
    Your new name - the Bird Girl of Bray. ;)
    yeah right :p

today bob is getting very keen on his wing flapping exercise, all my computer desk where his box sits is covered with dried gras ;)
    ok, so what finch we've got here? I noticed some yellow specs in wings, tried to take pic, but he's moving too fast (it's just a coincidence that my nails are yellow too :D):

bobwingflapping.jpg

and thanks for your advice Srameen. I've been feeding him boiled eggs since the day I found him. I remember my mother used to keep small chickens and boiled egg was the ultimate treat for them - they'd kill each other for it, especially for the yolk part.
    I also add some very fine sand into his food sometimes. I'm just not sure if he needs some extra vitamins/minerals added to ground budgie food as it says 'all your bird needs' i.e. vitamins are there, so does say the dog food :)

and the other thing is that I can't really keep him as pet for a much longer. I live in rented accommodation and I share the house with other people and I'm sure they wouldn't be happy listening to the bird's songs @5am in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

090.jpg

very cool thread, much repsect to you j@utis for going to this trouble for the little chick.
    Above is a photo I took a few weeks ago of some baby goldfinches, I think you can see some similarities developing in your chick.

bobwingflapping.jpg

Advertisement