Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Six Nations General Banter Thread. *Read Mod Warning. Post no.5*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Isaac Boss in the A squad?

Ah here...:rolleyes:

Looks like it will TOL and Reddan against Italy. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Isaac Boss in the A squad?

Ah here...:rolleyes:

Daft isn't it. Also can't understand how Carr is dropped with Dowling retained.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Buckley won't be on the bench, that's all I care about.

Disappoiniting about Boss but good to see Keatley involved.

Risteard wrote: »
    Buckley won't be on the bench, that's all I care about.

Don't think he was ever going to be on the bench but agreed!

Don't think he was ever going to be on the bench but agreed!

Well I didn't think after his performances that he'd be on the Munster bench.

• Advertisement

http://www.rugby365.com/tournaments/sixnation/news/2199960.htm

Flank Alasdair Strokosch and fullback Rory Lamont were both ruled out of Scotland's Six Nations opener against France on Monday.

Word on the street is McLaughlin will be starting, along with Trimble, though can't 100% confirm.

danthefan wrote: »
    Word on the street is McLaughlin will be starting, along with Trimble, though can't 100% confirm.

imo McLaughlin would only start if Ferris was injured. Wouldn't be too worried where that to happen, McLaughlin has been brilliant since he came into the Leinster XV.

Trimble might be ahead of Earls. Remember last season when Kidney said he was picking players in their provincial positions? If he applies the same logic, Trimble or Horgan would start and Earls would bench given that he has been playing centre for Munster. I don't think you could drop Tommy Bowe anyway.

I would still have Earls ahead of Trimble/Horgan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ferris is injured, been out of training for over a week now. I have no real problem with Kev starting. I know he has only become first choice for Leinster this season, but he slotted in so seamlessly that I think he can make the step up easily enough.

Trimble is a better winger than Earls. If Earls was playing regularly there he might be better, but he's not.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Ferris is injured, been out of training for over a week now. I have no real problem with Kev starting. I know he has only become first choice for Leinster this season, but he slotted in so seamlessly that I think he can make the step up easily enough.

Trimble is a better winger than Earls. If Earls was playing regularly they he might be better, but he's not.

I'd say Kidney is thinking along the same lines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

but we need to give them good quality game time. We cant just throw them in when the others retire. Healy is getting game time but what about cronin and ross and court all three have to appear in at least four games this 6 nations but you and i know this wont happen! Cronin will be lucky to see the team bus not to mind the bench as will ross!

I wouldnt throw them in a deep end though, Italy are argubably the toughest team to play against up front.

I'm predicting a usual Ireland-Italy game with us counter-attacking taking tries whenever there is an oppurtunitiy to take one keep the game loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Anybody know when Kidney is going to name his starting 15?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Anybody know when Kidney is going to name his starting 15?

Lunchtime tomorrow afaik!

I pray Juvenal will return and do his match previews. :)

England and Scotland sides expected to be named lunchtime today. Haven't heard about the others.

That's a good backline, though preferably it would have been Flood at 10 IMO. I wonder will MJ give Ben Youngs a game against the Italians, he's certainly loked good in every game I've seen him play.

That's a good backline, though preferably it would have been Flood at 10 IMO. I wonder will MJ give Ben Youngs a game against the Italians, he's certainly loked good in every game I've seen him play.

Bar Wilkinson, it's a positive selection from Johnson.

Youngs has made a great step forward this season. Open to correction, but wasn't he third choice behind Ellis and Dupuy last season for Leicester?

He looks very good and is one to look out for at the RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭twinytwo

at least johnson finally got over himself and played tait... i think

flood
    cueto
    tindall
    tait
    ashton or strettle
    foden

would have been far better ... armitage is useless as is monye but we shall see how they go. I still think wales will win. Why?... the welsh front row will cream them

ROG, D'Arcy, Flannery all starting.

danthefan wrote: »
    ROG, D'Arcy, Flannery all starting.

Big call there, if ROG plays against Italy you would have to fancy him to start against France as well.

D'Arcy is the logical choice.

Would have liked to have seen Cronin start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Johnson's had to go with Armitage/Flutey...but it's a gamble. But then Johnson and his back-room crew (particularly Brian Smith) are drinking in the last chance saloon at the minute. If they don't deliver this 6N its going to be walk the plank time at the RFU. This desperation might actually force them into some creative rugby (shock,horror!). If England produce another lacklustre 6N they may finally have to bite the bullet and go abroad for a coach.

As for D.Armitage and Flutey, both lacking match prep understandably. Thought Armitage was ring-rusty against Leinster, a step or two off the pace. Nice looking Backline on paper though, good balance. Worry about England front row. Reckon overall, the match is going to be tighter than a lot of pundits are predicting and I wouldn't be massively shocked if England pull off a win.

Big call there, if ROG plays against Italy you would have to fancy him to start against France as well.

As someone wisely said to me the other day "For Ireland, It's not who starts the 6N at 10 that matters, but who finishes it there."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭twinytwo

D'Arcy is the logical choice.

Would have liked to have seen Cronin start.

maybe that is why kidney is playing rog against italy to get him back in the swing of things

I would have preferred Sexton but at least RoG isn't in bad form as he was in the Autumn.

Also would have preferred Cronin or Best ahead of Flannery at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I didn't think the team had been announced yet? Thought it was 1.30 this afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

toomevara wrote: »
    As someone wisely said to me the other day "For Ireland, It's not who starts the 6N at 10 that matters, but who finishes it there."

That really depends on what kind of situation we are in come the final game. I mean if don't have a chance of the Championship surely it would be a no brainer to give Sexton the international game time. If however we are chasing the championship the obviously the last game or two is more telling.

I do agree though that the Italy game won't tell us much as we would be expected to win either way.

France, England, and Wales (depending on previous results) will be the telling games regarding the ten jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Are we starting a new thread for the Italy match when the team is announced (it is 1.30pm url]http://twitter.com/irfurugby[/url)? After following rugby for the past 8 years, this'll actually be the first rugby match (at any level) that I've ever been to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Can't remember how long I've been supporting.....close to 7 I think, when I first played a game. The first competitive one I ever attended was The England game in Croke park in 2007. So, hope its a good one for you, a memorable experience! :)

In other news....this is why i like Gerry Thornley:
    Ireland's Grand Slam success was built on defence: the idea being to exert maximum pressure on the opposition. Now they must go for a higher risk strategy if they want to keep ahead of the chasing pack, writes GERRY THORNLEY

IF THE truth be told, the 2009 version of the Six Nations wasn’t exactly a vintage year, just a vintage outcome. The Golden Generation were in danger of becoming the Unfulfilled Generation, and given Ireland had waited over 60 years to add to their only Grand Slam, we’d have taken it any way it came. Pragmatism reigns, and the IRB’s games analysis would suggest pragmatism won out as well.

Declan Kidney is an extremely smart, clever coach and the influence of Gert Smal and Les Kiss, especially, would appear to have been profound. Clearly Kidney had absorbed the lessons of previous near misses, as had the entire coaching ticket from global trends. More than anywhere, one suspects, the Irish think tank took a leaf out of the South African manual for global supremacy as well as listening to the entreaties of their forwards at the famous Enfield Marriott get-together in December 2008.

Far from being the highest passing team as in the recent past, Ireland became the lowest, both in number of passes and rate of passing. In one match they made just 82 passes. Very few Irish passing movements contained more than three passes. Only one passing movement in every 38 contained three or more passes, compared to one in 15 for the other five teams.

Ireland focused much of their energy on generating and maintaining pressure on the opposition, through their efforts closer in and through their kicking game. No team retained the ball as much at ruck time in the 2009 Six Nations. Ireland turned over possession only seven times in almost 500 rucks and mauls, a ratio far better than any other team. Ireland kicked the ball on average 36 times per game (from 29 in 2008) which was equalled only by Italy. Interestingly, Wales had kicked most (31 times) when winning the Slam in ’08. What undid Wales last year was that they stopped scoring from turnovers or long-range (only one try originating from their own half), and began leaking tries, overall going from a 13-2 try count in 2008 to 8-7 in 2009.

In a tournament of few mauls, Ireland mauled far more than any other team, and of seven maul turnovers, six were achieved by Ireland. Like Wales in 2008, another bedrock was a much improved defensive effort, Ireland conceding only three tries, none of which started inside their own half. “Their forwards were the least likely to pass the ball – and often significantly less likely,” reads the IRB report. “Their backrow, for example, passed the ball on only 13 per cent of occasions, while the backrows of the other five teams passed on no less than 35 per cent of occasions.”

Ireland kicked almost all restarts short, thereby maintaining constant physical pressure on their opponents. They were the most successful team in winning opposition throws and 75 per cent of their tries came from lineout possession. This approach was complemented by other major factors – 11 of their 12 tries were converted, making tries worth an invaluable seven points. They were the least penalised team. They obtained more possession than their opponents in four of their five matches. Their distinctive and clearly defined approach to the game – and its successful implementation – brought Ireland a reward last seen over 60 years ago.

Increasingly, match statistics have shown that it is often easier – bizarrely – to win games now without the ball rather than with it. In the 2009 Six Nations, the winning team had the most possession in only seven games of the 15.

Last summer, the Springboks – arch exponents of a new, defence-based and kicking-orientated game that brought them the World Cup in 2007 and took the Pumas to the semi-finals – brought such pragmatism to a new level.

In the first Test against the Lions (which South Africa won 26-21) the Boks held possession for a total of just 11 minutes 59 seconds (the Lions for 19 minutes 50 seconds, which is fractionally above the Test average). In the previous five years of both Tri-Nations and Six Nations competitions, only once did a team hold on to the ball less, and it was when South Africa lost to Australia 49-0 in 2006. Mike Phillips passed the ball more (75 times) in that first Test than the Boks in total (49 times), with the Lions tally standing at 195.

Despite the lack of possession, the Boks still managed to kick the ball 36 times, 30 per cent more than the Lions. The Boks therefore averaged 1.4 passes per kick, whereas the Lions averaged 5.7 passes per kick.

The Boks eased up on this strategy, most notably in the final dead rubber and after making 10 changes to their starting line-up. Come the Tri-Nations though, and they were back to type. The Boks averaged 85 passes per game across the Tri-Nations, as compared with 125 for both Australia and New Zealand. The Boks also on average made 40 per cent more kicks per minute of possession.

And in the Tri-Nations decider against the All Blacks in Hamilton, which the Boks won 32-29, they made just 43 passes, whereas Jimmy Cowan, the All Blacks’ scrumhalf made 30 per cent more passes than the entire Bok team. The South Africa centres touched the ball eight times and made a total of two passes, while the New Zealand centres touched the ball on 43 occasions and passed the ball 21 times.

Throughout the season an organised kicking game, superb lineout, largely solid scrum and long restarts all served to help keep the pressure on the opposition, as the Boks’ chose where (your half) and when (rarely) they wanted the ball.

Last season, Ireland adapted to the changed climate and played a lower passing, higher kicking game. But don’t blame them or the Springboks. The “running game” may be ill, but it’s the referees and the law makers who are to blame.

In this campaign, if last November’s matches were anything to go by, Ireland will attempt to build on last season’s success with more expansive, broader strokes. In other words, a higher risk strategy based more on ball retention, in part because they know that their opponents will have done plenty more video and statistical analysis of Ireland than even the IRB. But also because they know that the Ireland game will have to evolve, even if this in turn makes retaining their crown slightly more difficult.

From here.

Call me a nerd, I love statistics! :D

JJ wrote: »
    Are we starting a new thread for the Italy match when the team is announced (it is 1.30pm url]http://twitter.com/irfurugby[/url)? After following rugby for the past 8 years, this'll actually be the first rugby match (at any level) that I've ever been to.

Wow...well enjoy! I warn you though It is worse than crack! You could start the thread too if you wanted...

• Advertisement

toomevara wrote: »
    Wow...well enjoy! I warn you though It is worse than crack! You could start the thread too if you wanted...

*edit* my first international match was Ireland V Wales in Lansdowne in 1982..:eek:

Advertisement