Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve B.R Form (for background checks)

Options
  • 02-03-2007 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi,

I just got an email with the GR2 (background check) form attached and my god is there a lot to include. Literally all details of my family, both sides, giving details of Uncles, Aunts, etc with addresses and dates of birth for everyone. Its going to take a while to fill that lot in.

The only thing I'am worried about is that my father left us 22years ago and I have to include him and his side of the family on the form. I hope he doesn't influence the application ???

Ah well, better go and research the family history then.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 69sparkie69

hi ian
    well did you hear anything back from them yet..??
    yeah, that gr2 form is definitely a head scratcher all right..i fill that in when i applied first back in Sept. and did the supt. interview.. they must of got the format all wrong or mixed up..well i`m getting ready for the interview on the 14 march.. put some more feelers out,but with no joy or replies.. anyone else out there doing or have done the interview and aptitude test..??? come on,and dont be shy..ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭iandromiskin

Hi. Not many replies all right. Pity.

I pretty much have my GR2 ready to run. Just have to email it back in a few days and see what happens next. Good luck with the interview. Don't know if I can add anything to what I told you already. As I say they asked me about education, community involvent, opinions about the reserve and how I saw it working, challenges and how I met them etc. I got an email and a letter about 1.5 - 2 weeks after the interview to say I'd passed, so I suppose thats the time your looking at before you hear anything new.

Good luck again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 robbiedublin

Hi Ian,
    I am a member of the reserve and working in the Dublin area. In relation to the GR2 form, I was in a sim situation but it did not present a problem.

Best of luck

Hi 69,
    Glad to hear you sailed the interview etc. You made me laugh when you mentioned your handwriting as I had the same thought about mine. It was awful. I just emailed the GR2 back so I might hear something ???

I got an email yesterday from HR reminding me to send it back as the next training session starts at the end of April. I was just talking to a friend of mine who slightly worried me - I was a member of a political party for the last 3 years, not very active, and resigned in january before my interview, so I hope they don't look negatively on that ??? It was one of the questions in the form, so I mentioned it for truth sake, but worried now. Time will tell.

I had my interview with a Garda Sergent and submitted my GR(2) about three - four weeks ago but have heard nothing since. I presume I might get called to another interview with a Garda Super at some point ????. It all takes time I know, but I'am beginning to wonder if my GR(2) wasn't up to scratch ??? Ah well, nothing to do but wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 69sparkie69

hi ian.
    ah dont worry about it..it will take a couple of weeks to check out..i`d say everything will be fine..found out there last week that a neighbour,not to far away from me went for the medical,and passed it..there were 4 for it..2 went down on blood pressure results..mmmm..have to take a couple of Valium to came the nerves for that test..ha ha...how`s the diet going..??? i think i`ll have to amputate an leg to lose weight..its bloody hard..it would be a bitch to fail on that..the neighbour is heading to templemore next weekend..to start training..fair play..so i should have an insight into what happens down there..
    so... anyone else heading down there or gone through the training..?? how are the regular guards taking to you..?? do you pay anything to the gra in sub`s..etc.. are you signed up to them and joined the union..etc..?? now thats an interesting point..??
    sparks

i`ll have to amputate an leg to lose weight..its bloody hard..sparks

Hi Sparkie, Diet going well. I gave up the auld drink for lent and lost about 9 pounds, which was great but hard going. Now that Easter has been and gone, needless to say I'am back on the drink but unbelieveably hovering at the 10 stone 9 mark, which is amazing. Yeah, it will take a while and there is nothing to do but wait. The funny thing is that my Girlfriend of 3 years suddenly declared last night that the Garda Reserve was my mid life crisis, at 35 ! And here was me thinking I was doing something good for the community etc... Ah well, theres no helping some people....

odarallo wrote:

I thought it may have been vital information that the father appeared drunk.
    Any ideas? im kinda down-hearted now :(

Odarallo, Don't worry !!. I was the same as you. I felt I had a great interview but a sh**e test and I passed it. You should either get an email soon asking you to fill in the GR(2) background check thing or a letter telling you that you passed. It will happen, don't let it get to you. As I say I mentioned everything about the father and I passed and am still in process.

Keep us posted as how you get on won't you ?

Ian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭odarallo

Ian,

Sorry didnt realise you posted to me :) I hope I get it because I was refused the position for the full time position on the bases that I had to resit maths. I want to get the reserves so I will have some experience for when I apply again in August.

Hope you all hear back as for me who knows. I could have put my foot in it somehow :)

I rem on my way out and the lady said to me.. Good luck in your maths exam.. And I said I'll need it.. Which I think was a bad thing to say

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

I just received an email with my GR2 Form to complete, boy do they ask what you have had for your tea. Fortunately I had both my Mother's & Father's Birth Certs. filed away as they are both deceased. I am getting excited now!

It's all go here today, I emailed my GR2 Form back and within an hour I had news that I was to print it off and drop it round to my Local Garda Station for them to witness my signature and to send it off. So far so good!

• Advertisement

freddiew wrote:
    I am now waiting to hear about Medical as I have got word that my form is in order.

Hi Freddiw. I'am still waiting for word from my GR(2). I submitted it I suppose over four - five weeks ago and had the interview with the sergent, but havn't gotton any feedback of any sort yet. How long did your process take and did they contact you by letter or email ? Just curious really as getting worried and impatient, especially reading about everybody going for training. Just wish I was on the bus too, but maybe my time will come ?

I had an email back same day saying that all was in order on my GR2 Form and I would be hearing from them shortly, but I had no interview in station yet other than the Garda who receipted my form!

freddiew wrote:
    I had an email back same day saying that all was in order on my GR2 Form and I would be hearing from them shortly, but I had no interview in station yet other than the Garda who receipted my form!

What do people think ? I submitted my form about the beginning of april but I havn't heard anything back yet. Should I send a short email just enquiring about things or would that be shooting myself in the foot ? Should I just hold my water and wait it out ???

Ian. I would not contact them for another week or so. I think the reason i heard back so quick was that they had very little to check out. I had only one Uncle ever. My mother was an only child therefore I had no cousins as my Uncle never married. If you had more Aunts & Uncles or brothers and sisters it could take a lot longer and if any of them have any kind of record it takes longer anyway, so i was told. So don't worry you will hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 wex

What do people think ? I submitted my form about the beginning of april but I havn't heard anything back yet. Should I send a short email just enquiring about things or would that be shooting myself in the foot ? Should I just hold my water and wait it out ???

Ian,
    If you have relatives abroad, it will take longer for the background check as they will have to submit the checks to other forces in whatever countries your relatives are in, so if you have for example an uncle in london and the particular officers over there are snowed under, the Guards on this side have to wait for the Met to send back the checks.
    Same thing happened one of my mates friends, took ages for the checks to come back.

Hi. Thanks for all that. Yeah I agree, I'll wait and see what happens in time. Only one of my aunts is still alive and lives up north; My father left for England about 20 years ago, but his sisters still live here; and my girlfriend has some relatives abroad, so maybe as you say they have their work cut out for them. Ah well, patience is a virtue.

Looking forward to hearing how everybody got on this weekend too when they arrive back. Should be fun to hear how they got on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

Does anybody out there know to what extent do the Gardai go to when checking your GR2 form. I submitted mine a few weeks ago, and while I have no worries about myself or any of my family, relations etc, I'm worried about a few of the dates of birth for my relations which I know not to be entirely correct. Basically there were a few dates of birth for my uncles and aunts which my father was not sure about, so he had a guess at them, which I only found out about after the form had been submitted. Anyway hopefully this won't go against me, but was just wondering if anybody out there who has applied to the full time force or reserve has any thoughts on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

gilly2308 wrote:
    Does anybody out there know to what extent do the Gardai go to when checking your GR2 form. I submitted mine a few weeks ago, and while I have no worries about myself or any of my family, relations etc, I'm worried about a few of the dates of birth for my relations which I know not to be entirely correct. Basically there were a few dates of birth for my uncles and aunts which my father was not sure about, so he had a guess at them, which I only found out about after the form had been submitted. Anyway hopefully this won't go against me, but was just wondering if anybody out there who has applied to the full time force or reserve has any thoughts on this.

Hi gilly2308,

as far as I know they check the list very thoroughly. In some cases it can take quite long to receive feedback on it. In my case, my family in Germany as well as my fiancee's family members in Ireland and the UK had to be checked out. For Germany, the Gardai went through Interpol as far as I know. Could be wrong though and they used another type of set-up to get information but they do check it out.

Best,
    Preusse

PS: No problem, Hugh ;)

Where is everyone gone. I haven't heard any more since dropping the GR2 Form around to the Station. I was waiting to hear about Medical. Are we all in the same boat waiting!

freddiew wrote:
    Are we all in the same boat waiting!

Hi. Yeah, I think everyone is basically waiting all right. I am I know that. I sent in my GR(2) about 6 weeks ago and I'am still waiting for word. I did email them this morning as I just wanted to know where I stood, but they just said that they had no update as yet, so that must mean they are still checking me out. Apparantly if they have to contact other police forces in the UK or europe it can take a long while. Nothing to do but sit it out I'am afraid.

• Advertisement

Still no word from my end regarding my GR(2). Beginning to get both a bit worried and deflated :( .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Still no word from my end regarding my GR(2). Beginning to get both a bit worried and deflated :( .

Hi Ian,

I wouldn't worry too much. I know it's easy to say that but I actually rang yesterday and some security clearances still haven't come through yet particularly for family members in other countries.
    They just have so much to do that it takes a while.
    I was told that the next training weekend is on the 9th of June and then every 6 weeks from then on so everyone should be able to get into training pretty quickly (maximum 6 weeks wait at the worst).

Best,
    Preusse

Well done Sparkie !!!! Thats great news !!! So you'll be patrolling the streets of the northwest soon so. Maybe you were right about the pipeline after all ??????

I still havn't got word back about my GR2, but I did get a call from an Inspecter during the week, so i have to go and have my chat with him soon. Very nice guy on the phone too and the way he was talking it sounded like our conversation was a formatility as he was saying that he had seven other candidates ready for training that I should'nt worry that he could get me into a training session soon. I even mentioned that I was going on holidays at the end of August and he said not to worry about it that they would sort something out ! Very odd comments, but hopefull none the less. Still have to have the medical though, so Sparkies run down on that was great, thanks. Ah well, we'll see what happens next. Should have the chat this week and see what he says and where it brings me next. I'll let you know how it goes.

He also said that they (Garda) wer'nt surprised with the results of the election regarding the ex minister, but that may have been bad grapes ?? Sparkies comments or observations on the gra are interesting too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 celticlegend03

Hi guys,

I just got that Form GR2 to complete. it is a fairly detailed form which will take a bit of time to complete. My one concern is that I am bound to come across some aunt or uncle who is sensitive about their age and wont give their date of birth - stupid I know but has anyone else come across this problem!!

Hi guys,

My one concern is that I am bound to come across some aunt or uncle who is sensitive about their age and wont give their date of birth - stupid I know but has anyone else come across this problem!!

Hi, Yeah that was one of my worries too and I did encounter it a bit. But I really just told them what it was for and they seemed sort of ok about it. In general when I didn't know the DOB for any person I just put down a general date of say May 1965 or whatever. Just give as much information as you can really. I don't think they are going to be too much bothered by a vague DOB, but just remember to be honest with everything as if something turns up in the check that you havn't mentioned on the form they might not look kindly on it. But thats what I had to do with my form and it appeared to be accepted. Good luck with form, it takes ages to fill out.

hi ian..
    so will you be getting in touch with HQ this week, with regards your application..??

Hi Sparkie, I had my chat with the Garda last Tuesday morning and it went well. He only really asked me why I thought I'd be suitable for the Reserve and asked me to comment on a situation and that was it. After that it was general chit chat really about my job and experiences etc. So he basically said that all I had to do now was pass the medical.

I don't know when I'll hear or get word on the medical. How long did it take with you or what is the process ?? Do you think I should ring HQ, is it worthwhile do you think ???

Looks interesting and very useful.

On the GR(2) front, I'am still waiting for news. As I said it serves me right having relatives abroad. Just curious though, how long did members here have to wait for news of their GR(2) form - I mean whats the longest someone has had to wait ? Just curious as I've been waiting about 2.5 months so far.

On a different discussion, how is everyone getting on with their training to date ? Anything to tell us as to what your getting up to and how your getting on etc... ???

Me too, but when I rang I was told they were still waiting my background check to come back, so thats what I'am waiting on at the minute, and waiting and waiting .........

You must have cleared your check then, persumably ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭geo1212

Ian,
    think some people waited 7/8 weeks for checks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

From my experience it takes about months or there abouts for the back round checks to be made so don't panic.After you have gone through all the other stages, interviews, medicals etc you will get a call out of the blue usually mid week to attend Templemore that weekend.So it would be advisable to keep these weekends free they are usually the last weekend of the month.
    I have almost finished phase 2 and have an exam to do next week before phase 3 in Templemore next weekend.The Classes are very enjoyable about 19 x 3 Hr classes in total ie. Public order ,Road traffic offences ,Criminal law etc with all the relevant Acts.
    You really have to know this stuff not verbatum or anything but just have a good handle on it so you know what you are talking about.At least you won't feel a complete idiot when you have to go out on the street.
    At Phase 3 youare issued with your uniform and do the prescribed 40hrs before phase 4 which is final attestation in other words passing out.Happy days

Advertisement