Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

i am not a DLS man, but I am very disappointed in the rumours about other teams supporting Thurles in the Munster final. De la salle should be very proud of what they have achieved in recent years, they have done it with a panel of predominately DLS lads, unlike Mount Sion and Ballygunner years before who upset the balance of the county by poaching other parishes players

Best of luck to De La Salle, remember the whole county is behind ya bar a couple of City begrudgers (not surprising really given the county we live in)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Didn't Flynney say when they got on the bus after the win in the semi they had a message from a member of a rival team waiting for them saying DLS had no history and that they'd lose the final?

It's serious bad form in fairness and that wouldn't be made up like. Obviously that doesn't represent the majority of players from other teams or anything like that but it's disgraceful for anyone from Waterford who calls themselves a hurling supporter to not support our county's representatives in a regional final IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Didn't Flynney say when they got on the bus after the win in the semi they had a message from a member of a rival team waiting for them saying DLS had no history and that they'd lose the final?

It's serious bad form in fairness and that wouldn't be made up like. Obviously that doesn't represent the majority of players from other teams or anything like that but it's disgraceful for anyone from Waterford who calls themselves a hurling supporter to not support our county's representatives in a regional final IMO.

Whatever was said in the message , and I'm now glad that I know the content of Ian Flynn's speech 'cos TG4 cut it off halfway through, but in all fairness as I said before is the winning podium at a club Munster final a place to be airing your grievances with other clubs in the City/ County ? DLS should just get on with it , best answer for all the " so called begrudgery" would be to just go on and win it . The rest is just nonsense .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

This is the first i heard of this!! Some people are just bitter of De La Salle winning? Bad form though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I left Waterford in 1985 at the ripe old age of 17. There was some work available in the late 80s and early 90s but I didn't want to come back.

The sh!te going on here reinforces (for the 1000th time) that I was right.

Not a single verifiable fact has been posted here in the last couple of days but people are prepared to jump on a bandwagon, ask some idiot with 19 posts for details, and generally blow a bit of psychology out of all proportion. Another expert with 50 posts feels he can give us a history of the makeup of Mount Sion and Ballygunner teams through the years. Read your history. I think you'll find Mount Sion recruited locally for the vast majority of their 30+ titles.

Waterford must be the largest city where any idiotic rumour can gain credence citywide within minutes.

Who gives a flying f*(k what happened in Uluru last Sunday? De La Salle put on a tremendous performance to win the Munster title. I'm sure 99% of Waterford hurling fans would agree that they deserve great credit and wish them well in the semi-final. Full stop.

• Advertisement

I left Waterford in 1985 at the ripe old age of 17. There was some work available in the late 80s and early 90s but I didn't want to come back.

Not a single verifiable fact has been posted here in the last couple of days but people are prepared to jump on a bandwagon, ask some idiot with 19 posts for details, and generally blow a bit of psychology out of all proportion. Another expert with 50 posts feels he can give us a history of the makeup of Mount Sion and Ballygunner teams through the years. Read your history. I think you'll find Mount Sion recruited locally for the vast majority of their 30+ titles.

Waterford must be the largest city where any idiotic rumour can gain credence citywide within minutes.

Who gives a flying f*(k what happened in Uluru last Sunday? De La Salle put on a tremendous performance to win the Munster title. I'm sure 99% of Waterford hurling fans would agree that they deserve great credit and wish them well in the semi-final. Full stop.

sorry mr 950 posts, shall we start measuring our dicks next.......

anyways fare play for leaving waterford at the ripe age of 17:confused: and not coming back when there was work, Im sure I have a blue peter badge knocking about somewhere at home that I can give to you

• Registered Users Posts: 15 the vicount

i for one would like to comend de la salle on great win sunday , you have done your county proud .
    its typical of city clubs an city people to buy into all this jealous s>>.t talk . Us in the county have an will get behind you , an thats what everbody should do .
    from what i heard the people in the uluru on sunday should be ashamed of themselves ,apart from a few decent hurling fans ,the rest of so called hurling people behaving like children .
    memorys of 2008 when another city club, members was dancing on tables when de la salle were badly beaten by portmuna in a well known mt sion pub

an then we wonder why we cant win an all-ireland ? its easy to see why with so many obstacles like this .

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

A lot of sense in this post , you're right! " not a single verifiable fact" has been posted here , the stuff in the Uluru was all heresay as far as I can see , anybody from De La Salle shouldn't be bothered with sh**e like this.... just get on with it . Honestly , sometimes we embarrass ourselves .

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

posts=knowledge lads we all should no this lads come on :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

i for one would like to comend de la salle on great win sunday , you have done your county proud .
    its typical of city clubs an city people to buy into all this jealous s>>.t talk . Us in the county have an will get behind you , an thats what everbody should do .
    from what i heard the people in the uluru on sunday should be ashamed of themselves ,apart from a few decent hurling fans ,the rest of so called hurling people behaving like children .
    memorys of 2008 when another city club, members was dancing on tables when de la salle were badly beaten by portmuna in a well known mt sion pub

an then we wonder why we cant win an all-ireland ? its easy to see why with so many obstacles like this .

Delighted you mention the Country folk. In most cases when a country club are involved in a divisional or county final, supporters of the surrounding clubs would go and support them. Could never figure out why it does not happen in the city. I have seen many times where there could be a double header game at Fraher Field and at the end of the first game if a city club were involved many of their fans would get up and walk out. If they were involved in the second game, they would not be in for a lot of the first game. And if a team is loosing you often see the city club supporters get up and walk out. Some of the Ballygunner supporters were doing it at the County Final this year in Walsh Park. I often wonder are these the so called fantastic supporters we hear about that are in Waterford. the ones that look for the best tickets for big games when waterford are involved and when Waterford are not going as well they dont want to know. The true supporters are the ones that follow a team through thick and thin, and also will support all Waterford teams that go out and represent the county, be it an Inter County or a club team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Lads, I don't see anyone from Mount Sion on here critisising DLS at all. You should all look in the mirror. As I stated before the vast majority of Mount Sion people have enormous respect for DLS and everything the club has achieved. The last three pages have just been people form the county having a cut off Mount Sion and Ballygunner because they "heard" this and "apparently" Sion people were dancing on tables when DLS were hammered. What absolute rubbish. There are a lot of people on here with chips on their shoulders with a lot more ill thought about Sion and Gunner than we have for ye. All decent hurling folk will support whoever represents the county. I was there when Ballygunner won Munster and was just as disappointed in Croke Park 2 years ago as DLS fans were. Once again, congratulations to DLS and best of luck in the next game but there is awful unfair rubbish being posted here about a club that like it or not has contributed more to Waterford hurling than any other and some respect should be shown just as we show respect to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

redlead wrote: »
    Lads, I don't see anyone from Mount Sion on here critisising DLS at all. You should all look in the mirror. As I stated before the vast majority of Mount Sion people have enormous respect for DLS and everything the club has achieved. The last three pages have just been people form the county having a cut off Mount Sion and Ballygunner because they "heard" this and "apparently" Sion people were dancing on tables when DLS were hammered. What absolute rubbish. There are a lot of people on here with chips on their shoulders with a lot more ill thought about Sion and Gunner than we have for ye. All decent hurling folk will support whoever represents the county. I was there when Ballygunner won Munster and was just as disappointed in Croke Park 2 years ago as DLS fans were. Once again, congratulations to DLS and best of luck in the next game but there is awful unfair rubbish being posted here about a club that like it or not has contributed more to Waterford hurling than any other and some respect should be shown just as we show respect to you.

Were you in the Uluru yourself, or in the pub in question on Paddy's Day or are you just doing what you're criticising others for doing - speculating idly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

flahavaj wrote: »
    Were you in the Uluru yourself, or in the pub in question on Paddy's Day or are you just doing what you're criticising others for doing - speculating idly?

Every club has a few pig ignorant eejits in it (although I'm sure everyone in your club are saintly), for fools to come on here and brandish everyone in a club in such a manner is ridiculous. I highly doubt there were people "dancing on tables". Posters here suggest that the city clubs attitude holds waterford back yet there is no evidence of anyone from a city club on here with any attitude, just pages of nonsense written by small minded buffoons trying to make mountains out of mole hills.

Dont know what was supposed to be said about De La Salle but they should use it to their advantage if something was said and use it to spur themselves on to do something in March that no other club from this county has done, just like what they done when people wrote them off after they lost to Ballygunner in the early stages of the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

There's a 10 disc DVD set all about Waterford hurling being launched tonight in Wateford City and tomorrow in Dungarvan. I assume it will be available in the usual places like the Book Centre, BPM etc. Can't wait to get it.
    A new 10 disc DVD set is being launched by club deise celebrating a decade of Waterford hurling. It will consist of high quality recordings of many games including the epic 2002 munster win over tipp. Better still it will include 2011 membership to club deise all for only 50 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah I saw that being advertised a few weeks ago in the Waterford Today, '04 Munster final v Cork in it too, AI semi v Tipp '08 amongst others. Very good value for €50 and membership for Club Deise, definitely going to invest myself. Good Xmas present for someone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

That's Christmas presents sorted for a number of people then! I assume it's full 70 minute matches and not just highlights yeah? And if someone was able to get their hands on the full list of games that'd be deadly :)

From WLR's Facebook:

Shops where Club Deise' Waterford Hurling DVDs will be available from Wed Dec 8th - Numbers are limited so place your orders at:

Ger Wyley Sportswear, Dungarvan
    McGrath’s Newsagents, Mitchell St, Dungarvan,
    David Walsh, Stationary, Lower Main St. Dungarvan
    Michael McGrath, Main Street, Lismore.
    Quinns Store, Ardmore
    Ken McGraths, Sports Store, George’s St, Waterford
    Harvey Travel, Gladstone st, Waterford
    News & Star Offices Broad St Waterford
    The Book Centre, Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

What games are featured on the DVD's?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭deisedude

KevIRL wrote: »
    What games are featured on the DVD's?

Copied and pasted from club deise website

There’s entertainment to carry you over Christmas and beyond, no need
    to watch Willy Wonka again this year instead have all the family sit
    down and enjoy one of the 5 Munster final victories (4 senior and 1
    minor) or The National League victory 2007 or one of many other
    classic matches - you’ll be spoilt for choice

• Advertisement

Id rather watch paint dry than watch a DVD reinforcing Waterford's shortcomings in the past ten years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I hope the paint drying DVD is good fun Calvin.

Personally i'ld prefer to watch a hurling DVD, shortcomings and all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Considering that some of the worst days in Waterford hurling corresponds with some of the better days in Clare hurling I'd be interested in some of the DVDs

chinguetti wrote: »
    I hope the paint drying DVD is good fun Calvin.

Personally i'ld prefer to watch a hurling DVD, shortcomings and all.

I would enjoy a DVD more on the lines of
    • looking at the current Waterford situation and doing a few player profiles of our current crop etc etc etc
    • Outlining a few players for the future
    • Maybe interviews with our more senior players on the upcoming championship
    • Spend a couple of minutes of giving the highlights of this years championship and league run

But like thats all forward thinking and I suppose Waterford being Waterford we have to continue to live in the past looking at out almost runs do what they do best.

All a DVD like this does is give pub politicians ammo to blow the brain of people on Stephens reciting now meaningless games in the past, intsead of living in the here and now

LOL would ya go way out of it boy. For the first time all those games are available in a handy DVD set for fans to watch again, nothing wrong with that. There's millions of DVDs out there for GAA and other sports showing a team's classic games, it doesn't mean fans are stuck living in the past.

The Waterford GAA YEar Book is in the shops now. €10. A very good read. Lots of articles and photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭backrow67n8

Anyone have any opinions on this?? I thought it was an early April fools joke but its not

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/a-munster-final-in-nowlan-park-139490.html

ah the the aul Waterford County board with the perpetual cap in hand syndrome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

'Twill make a change for Waterford to be crossing the bridge into KK for once rather than the other way round.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

...............right..........im just going out for a while...........
    On a completely unrelated matter does anyone have Timmys address and possibly some brass knuckles?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement