Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRA vs the Taliban - who would win? US TV goes in search of the answer....*cringe*

Options
  • 30-05-2009 7:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

IRA versus Taliban - who would win?

Who would win in a fight between the IRA and the Taliban?

The makers of an American television show have created a computer simulator to provide the answer to a question no-one was asking, outside of a school playground or in a pub after a few too many drinks.

Deadliest Warrior pitches hypothetical fights between historical figures, assessing the strengths and weaknesses of factors such as weaponry and tactics, like a hi-tech version of playground card game Top Trumps.

The analysis is used to create a computer model where the battle plays out to the death.

It is broadcast by Spike, a cable channel owned by MTV aimed at "young adult males", and the pitch for Sunday's programme is suitably dramatic.

"The Taliban - deadly extremists battling in the mountains of Afghanistan, versus the IRA - elusive, hard-hitting masters of Ireland's urban jungles.

"It's a battle to the death, between two lethal guerrilla warriors, armed to the teeth with flamethrowers, rocket launchers, carbines, mines and a devastating home-made bombs."

Previous episode titles include Viking vs Samurai, Spartan vs Ninja and Pirate vs Knight.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8073845.stm

lol! That is all....:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Ireland's urban jungles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Here we go again..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Wouldn't they just team up and kill the British?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

The IRA wouldnt stand a chance. They would bitch up and surrender after 2 minutes. Then spend years killing their own people. Numpties

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I'd back the IRA if its in a urban setting.

Durka Durka shirpa shir.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

"It's a battle to the death, between two lethal guerrilla warriors, armed to the teeth with flamethrowers, rocket launchers, carbines, mines and a devastating home-made bombs."

Everything homemade is always better..... jam, bread, cakes, bombs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

The Taliban aren't afraid to die, the IRA are. Therefore the Taliban would win through sheer brute force.

It's utter Bull though, I saw one Episode and laughed my hole off at how stupid it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

seanybiker wrote: »
    The IRA wouldnt stand a chance. They would bitch up and surrender after 2 minutes. Then spend years killing their own people. Numpties
    And what does suicide bombing do then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The IRA would infiltrate the Taliban using an agent called Abdul Abhaile.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Should be easy enough to spot the talibans efforts to infiltrate west belfast, then fire irish breakfast mortars at the sausage dodging nutters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

Sweet mother of jesus. This sounds like they may start looking for WMD's upnorth soon. I'm moving away from the border. Those american **** heads are nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Tiochaidh ar Durka

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

How would the yanks feel if we made a progam called; 2 Boeing 747s vs. The World Trade Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭Archeron

Oooh, hypothetical battles. I wanna see the Smurfs V the Fraggles.

Smurfs can't use Gargamel and Fraggles aren't allowed use doozers as cannon fodder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

CHD wrote: »
    I'd back the IRA if its in a urban setting.

Durka Durka shirpa shir.

Hmmm lets see.

The IRA failed to win the battle for a corner of our tiny island.
    The Taliban are still holding against the joint US and British forces in Afghanistan and are currently advancing on the capital of Pakistan,
    one of the most highly populated countries in the world.

The Taliban is funded by oil rich Saudis and the heroin trade.
    The IRA was funded by sales of dodgy fags, Wolfetones gigs and some starry eyed Yanks.

But most importantly.
    The IRA killed by using complicated hit-and-miss bombing/sniping strategies that could be described as difficult to pull off at best.
    The Taliban walk up to their targets and detonate themselves.

Tough one to call alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

Grizzly Bear versus the dumbass who came up with this idea.

In the interest of fairness, I would coat the dumbass with a dog friendly combo of Jack Daniels BBQ sauce and Pedigree Chum

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

all i can say is im surprised it took them this long to come up with something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Apparently the next episode is the Nazis against the Decepticons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The Taliban aren't afraid to die, the IRA are.

Hunger Strikes, hello?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Hmmm lets see.

The Taliban are still holding against the joint US and British forces in Afghanistan and are currently advancing on the capital of Pakistan,

The Taliban is funded by oil rich Saudis and the heroin trade.
    The IRA was funded by sales of dodgy fags, Wolfe Tones gigs and some starry eyed Yanks.

But most importantly.
    The IRA killed by using complicated hit-and-miss bombing/sniping strategies that could be described as difficult to pull off at best.
    The Taliban walk up to their targets and detonate themselves.

Tough one to call alright.

plus the IRA told the police/security forces where the bomb was, and when it was going to go off, the taliban, dont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

This must get onto youtube.

IT MUST!

phasers wrote: »
    Apparently the next episode is the Nazis against the Decepticons

As long as it's not the Nazis versus the Jews, we all know how that one ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    This must get onto youtube.

IT MUST!

Its not... :(

But if you find it, lemme know!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

it doesnt air until tomorrow in the us, after that I am hoping someone puts it up (or at least a preview) for us all to point and laugh and p*ss off posters on the us politics forum by redoing the whole *dumb americans* routine that gets then so worked up :D

*in a premptive strike for the reported post I do not subscribe to the dumb american idelogy I just apply to logic that while a number of them are unable to master the geography of world nations, I am unable to name all 50 states of the US, likewise over the same landmass size of the US I cannot name all the counties of the UK or the provences of France etc etc, different geography focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Hmmm lets see.

Which IRA are we talking about here, the one which succesfully fought a rebellion against the largest organised army in the world.

When I was in London with my girlfriend we were amused to see it was Buddha's birthday and there were tents set up in Leicster square. After a short while we could hear bells and chanting and there appeared the Hare Krishnas.

Now that would have made for a good fight. I kept getting a West Side Story-esqe image in my head of the Buddhist squaring up against the Krishnas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

I'd love to know what possible reason the taliban and the IRA would have to go to war with each other.

Now that would make a godd show :D

Its not... :(

But if you find it, lemme know!!:pac:

well I hope that it's as impartial and as accurate as when Captain planet visited Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

bobmalooka wrote: »
    I'd love to know what possible reason the taliban and the IRA would have to go to war with each other.

Now that would make a godd show :D

At an international terrorist convention trouble brews in the hotel bar.
    A Taliban member disses an IRA member's headdress, telling him that
    the balaclava is "sooo last season" and that turbans are where it's at.

The IRA man reacts badly to the slur and throws down to the Taliban member.
    Once the Taliban member has been served there's no turning back and things just escalate from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

Waitwaitwait. On RTE2 today the Columbo movie had some IRA fella in it trying to get a boatload of Mac-9's into Ireland. Maybe he was gearing up for a Taliban assault?

Advertisement