Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Stuffy wrote: »
    It is actually yourself and your clique of online buddys that are clinging to this..........

Actually I kinda like that. I never thought I was part of a clique. I am my own man and give praise and recognition whenever I feel it is deserved. I can be critical as well.
    LOL.

Lighthouse doesn't have a clique, Stuffy. We're just people who have made the effort to engage in a friendly way with members of the SU.........

As Fr. Ted once said, I have to stop you there. And agree with you.

On another point our friend Imogem Stuart was on Today with Pat Kenny just now. If you missed it you will be able to get it on the RTE website. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭earleuginedoyle

I have completely been out of the loop of this thread since finishing in May really, but insistence from Onion has brought me right back here! it's great to see so many new people posting though, the thread seems so alive!

To Stuffy, i would just say, obviously I have no idea what things are like this year as I am not around, but it's not even the end of September, if you think there is more the SU could do, give them time, and maybe some help and advice/suggestions?they are just two people, and in order to help the student body, they need to hear back from them what they want!
    I am not even in college anymore and i've seen stuff they have done online, from what i can tell from that, they have done more so far this year than I saw the SU do in the 3 years I was there!

Also, got my registered teaching number in the post today, it feels soooooo good to finally have it! thats the most Mary I related news I have.........

Also, got my registered teaching number in the post today, it feels soooooo good to finally have it! thats the most Mary I related news I have.........

Cool. I look forward to that day. I am starting home TP in a few weeks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭earleuginedoyle

lighthouse wrote: »
    Cool. I look forward to that day. I am starting home TP in a few weeks :D

good luck with it!! it was a rollercoaster 5 weeks last year, just try to enjoy it and get lots of sleep is my only advice

good luck with it!! it was a rollercoaster 5 weeks last year, just try to enjoy it and get lots of sleep is my only advice

Thanks a million. It's nearly like a 4 week TP this year as 1st week is mostly observation with no supervisor visit :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

As stated, there is no pool table at the moment due to the space but that's not to say there won't be a pool table put in by any means. Also, there hasn't actually been that many students who have told us they want a pool table, but we do take your comments on board.

When I was getting my campus tour in the orientation week I was told there would be pool tables in the lounge in a few weeks. I understand that it's still the early days of the new building but I just want to show my support for getting a pool table (or two) in the student lounge.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

lighthouse wrote: »
    Thanks a million. It's nearly like a 4 week TP this year as 1st week is mostly observation with no supervisor visit :D

I'm really liking the change of format for home TP. It gives the B. Ed.s more of a chance to recover after senior TP and gives the psychs a chance to switch to TP mode after only focusing on FYP for the last few weeks.

Really, it's just like two normal T.P.s blu-tacked together! :)

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

We will post a story on our website and on Facebook tomorrow morning asking people to come on here and show their support for the much needed forum!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Remind people to use other parts of the site too. It wouldn't look too good if loads of people signed up, posted "+1" and didn't try to contribute to other sections too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Stuffy

This is a discussion forum. I don't need to be invited by you to respond to your posts. Simples :)

Also, you seem to be speaking for a number of people yourself. Who are the others that have spoken to you about being unhappy with the SU? Why haven't they tried to make their own voices heard here?

Final point, I thought "reasoning" and "motives" were pretty much the same thing. How does one explain a reason for a reason? Not sure how you'll get an answer to that one ;)

As I previously said college is a diverse place, not everybody is interested in a discussion forum gathering over 7,000 posts ;)

Apart from dambarude and MISU nobody else has tried to discuss the main focus of my posts and you wonder why you don't have your own forum? It is pointless posting here when your getting roundabout answers and not much substantial feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Stuffy wrote: »
    Apart from dambarude and MISU nobody else has tried to discuss the main focus of my posts and you wonder why you don't have your own forum? It is pointless posting here when your getting roundabout answers and not much substantial feedback.

Make the primary focus of your posts a bit more clear and a little less sensationalist and you'll find plenty of people willing to give you feedback.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

It's becoming more like a real forum when we have some minor conflict in here:p

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭irishharper

Any ideas if there is a piano for the new lounge like was in the old lounge? I'm full sure I read here during the summer something about a new piano being purchased?! Even something like that would help put a bit of atmosphere back into the place!

Any ideas if there is a piano for the new lounge like was in the old lounge? I'm full sure I read here during the summer something about a new piano being purchased?! Even something like that would help put a bit of atmosphere back into the place!

+1. Pianos are always a good addition to a room.

You could try rolling one out of the practice rooms and down to Tara if you wanted one badly enough:p.

dambarude wrote: »
    You could try rolling one out of the practice rooms and down to Tara if you wanted one badly enough:p.

Indeed. There's an add on telly isn't there where a guy plays a piano as it rolls down the street. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

This is great MISU, it should bring even more people in.

Hey MISU,
    I was just going through the facebook photos via the wibiya taskbar bar at the bottom of misu.ie Pretty cool, you can fly through photos unlike the system on the main site itself :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Faust1

What's the story with parking? It's a total disaster, I mean it's always been bad but at this point it's totally ridiculous. I drive to college every day from county Limerick and unless I am in by 8am, I cannot get a free parking space, while I do not mind paying for parking, the Summerville carpark also fills up very fast. Can we not get some more parking? What about the site dump for all the building equipment at the new entrance? This, in my opinion, is far more important than having a pool table!

Faust1 wrote: »
    What's the story with parking? It's a total disaster, I mean it's always been bad but at this point it's totally ridiculous. I drive to college every day from county Limerick and unless I am in by 8am, I cannot get a free parking space, while I do not mind paying for parking, the Summerville carpark also fills up very fast. Can we not get some more parking? What about the site dump for all the building equipment at the new entrance? This, in my opinion, is far more important than having a pool table!

Hi Faust1!

Parking is, as you say, ridiculous. Like most colleges around the country, there is a huge shortage of parking spaces around campus.

We can assure though, management are aware of the lack of parking around campus and are looking for solutions. The prefabs are to be lifted and the space they leave behind will be turned into parking. Unfortunately, it will be paid parking but at least there will be more spaces. These prefabs were meant to be lifted over the summer but due to delays from the HEA, they have yet to be lifted so we can't put an exact date on their removal.

In relation to the "site dump" you mention, we've been told that area cannot be used for parking at the moment for Health & Safety reasons.

• Advertisement

That's great news but I was told that four weeks ago too. Can I suggest that a notice board for issues like this should be put up around the SU. We're not all on facebook. I guess that with regards to building... the campus is going to be quiet for the time being, so once that site dump is cleared, can we expect that it will indeed be made available for parking?

BTW thanks for the swift reply.

Faust1 wrote: »
    That's great news but I was told that four weeks ago too. Can I suggest that a notice board for issues like this should be put up around the SU. We're not all on facebook. I guess that with regards to building... the campus is going to be quiet for the time being, so once that site dump is cleared, can we expect that it will indeed be made available for parking?

BTW thanks for the swift reply.

Unfortunately, the story hasn't changed in four weeks and the delay in their removal hasn't changed.

We started posting our MISUpdate newsletters around the SU areas this week to let people know about various things we're up to. Saying that the parking situation wasn't on the first one we had this week but we will include a piece on parking in the next one. We will now post these on the noticeboards around campus as well.

We told the class reps about the situation with parking at the first Union Council last week. It is up to them in turn to relay this info back to their class.

We were told the site dump won't be able to be used as a car park due to its location beside the fuel place beside it, and it's from that aspect that the health and safety issue is coming from. This could change but that is the latest we were told on how it stands at the moment.

Other than that, keep up the great work, the college is buzzing and the new SU area & exec. is only serving to enhance that. Well done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

@ RonMexico - what does?

RonMexico wrote: »

Iontach!

I was trying to get into street view earlier but it didn't seem to have been uploaded. Thanks for the heads up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 parabola_89

Sorry for moving off topic, but the Mary I Amnesty Society, in conjunction with the Live Music Soc, are running a Battle of the Bands in Dolan's on Monday the 11th of October. Anyone that knows of, or plays in, a band (or just fancies playing a solo set!) that might play can let us know in the discussion section of the Live Music Soc Facebook page! (Or else just let me know here!) NEST Productions will be in attendance to video the whole thing and produce it properly, so it'll be a great way for anyone to get their band's name out there! There's posters and stuff up around the college from today, and more will be going up! Thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Regarding the parking disaster, what I dont understand is why an underground carpark wasnt incorporated into the Tara Building. Surely that would have been an easy task?

Surely that would have been an easy task?
    I don't know if it would have been easy, but what a good idea that would have been! It would have been a perfect (though probably expensive) solution if it could have been done.

• Advertisement

dambarude wrote: »
    I don't know if it would have been easy, but what a good idea that would have been! It would have been a perfect (though probably expensive) solution if it could have been done.

That was a conversation stopper, no posts in the last 24 hours :(

Advertisement