Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some of Todays Wrestling News and Rumours (Possible spoilers)

Options
  • 08-04-2009 7:05pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭

See some wrestling news on the net, not sure its worthy of its own thread?

Then post it here.

The idea is simple, if you see small news items like info about hirings, backstage firings, backstage news, injuries, interviews etc you can post it here.

If you read any interesting news here and would like to discuss it then why not post a thread?

While reference to the result of a match may be relevant and need to be posted it would be best if news about full show results are posted outside this thread.

Some news to start with:
    Mr Kennedy speaks on being injured for 8 months and more
    Read Full interview here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/wrestling/story/989912.html

"I'm going to find out from Dr. Andrews if that's going to be a permanent thing, and I'll have to deal with it, or if there's something more that we can do." said Kennedy. "I don't want to do that. I'd rather be 100 percent, but you got to do what you got to do in this business because the bottom line is this business is going to keep rolling with or without me. I'd rather be a part of it and contribute. I think I have a lot to contribute because there are a lot of things that I have yet to accomplish that nobody really has seen out of me."

JBL blogs about his future and mania

http://fans.wwe.com/jbl/blog/2009/04/06/jbl_no_more_thank_you

I don't know what the future holds, never say never in life. But I have wrestled my last match. Months ago, I picked out this match. If Eddie Guerrero couldn't be here for it then my dear friend Rey was the obvious choice, and I'm proud he was.

I have no current plans on doing anything in the future on a professional level with WWE. I don't plan on doing commentary, in fact; it hasn't even been brought up to me. I don't plan on being an on air character. I plan on starting the next chapter in my life, and closing the door on this one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

DM-ICE came to me with this idea for a breaking news thread. I figured it was worth a shot.

The only catch is that if it spirals into one long debate about something, or if heads in that general direction, the best thing to do then is take it upon yourselves to make a sole thread about it. This one is really more for "meh.. not much of an opinion on this... move on" news than anything else. :)

Dunno if this is a great idea to be honest. One of the handiest parts of PW is being able to come on, take a quick scan through the page and get an idea whats going down. If something catches your eye, then you can go in and see what people are saying.

This kinda thread seems like it may move a little too fast as people will post anything and everything in it, so finding info could be more difficult and if you do want to discuss something its likely it may have already been talked about by people in the thread already.

Thats just my opinion though. At the same time, if you never try, you never know, i guess.

Dunno if this is a great idea to be honest. One of the handiest parts of PW is being able ot come on, take a quick scan through the page and get an idea whats going down. If something catches your eye, then you can go in and see what people are saying.

Fair enough point, however at the end of the day, it's a discussion forum, and not a news site as such.
    This kinda thread seems like it may move a little too fast as people will post anything and everything in it, so finding info could be more difficult and if you do want to discuss something its likely it may have already been talked about by people in the thread.

Thats just my opinion though. At the same time, if you never try, you never know, i guess.

Well if people feel that strongly about it, then they just won't use the thread, and it'll fade into obscurity, things will go on as normal and then we can at least say we gave it a shot.

I can see it happening actually, it's happened so many threads similar to it in the past. But who am i to veto another attempt? :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Its just an idea.

Can i suggest we leave the discussion part out of the thread then 9Shawn can edit). I, or someone else if they want, can just post some news and if someone wants to pick up on it or discuss the details, they can post a thread.

My idea was so we could have a place on the PW forum for news, rather than people surfing around the place looking for news, we could start here to see what was posted and get a few more people visiting the forum. The idea came when i read monty brown was in talks with wwe but didn't see it posted anywhere on the forum.

As Shawn says if it bombs then who cares:p

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Its just an idea.

Can i suggest we leave the discussion part out of the thread then 9Shawn can edit).

Oyyyy! I know my job can be somewhat of a janitors position, but you can wipe your own ass, thanks very much! :P

(when you edit your original thread starting post, go to advanced edit, you can edit the subject there too), only works for a short time, then afterwards a moderator has to do so. :)

• Advertisement

More news: GM positions news

As announced on last night's episode of ECW on Sci Fi, Theodore Long will be returning to SmackDown as the brand's General Manager, with his assistant Tiffany replacing him on ECW. Long's profile has been moved to the SmackDown roster section.

EDIT: Spoiler removed: Charter thread says If in doubt, use spoiler tags

Original tags were used as i felt news about GMs may not be an obvious spoiler. As it was a new thread people may be looking in out of interest and see comething that could impact on enjoyment of this weeks wwe shows. Blame me if tags were used again in the thread, my fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

So this thread is for bits and bobs that don't really have a home?
    Fair enough, i can see many holes with the idea. but in saying that, this is a forum about pro wrestling in ireland so i guess anything can happen :pac:
    More news: GM positions news
    As announced on last night's episode of ECW on Sci Fi, Theodore Long will be returning to SmackDown as the brand's General Manager, with his assistant Tiffany replacing him on ECW. Long's profile has been moved to the SmackDown roster section.

Wonder who will be going to ECW as the GM. Can't really think of anyone who could fill the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

So this thread is for bits and bobs that don't really have a home?
    Fair enough, i can see many holes with the idea. but in saying that, this is a forum about pro wrestling in ireland so i guess anything can happen :pac:

Wonder who will be going to ECW as the GM. Can't really think of anyone who could fill the bill.

Read the spoiler again:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

That Tiffany bird must be sucking some serious McMahon c*ck. I see no other possible reason for her continued elevation in terms of storylines.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Read the spoiler again:D

Crud.

I just read that as "
    Theodore Long will be returning to SmackDown as the brand's General Manager, with his assistant Tiffany
    "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭OrtonViper

You don't have to use spoiler tags when theres a spoiler warning in the thread title do you?

OrtonViper wrote: »
    You don't have to use spoiler tags when theres a spoiler warning in the thread title do you?

Guys, can we please read the charters regarding spoilers? It's at the top of the forum, or the bottom of the biki.
    If a thread about a show has "Spoilers" in the thread title then spoilers for that show can be posted without spoiler tags

If it has spoilers in the title, it don't require the tags in the thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

flahavaj wrote: »
    That Tiffany bird must be sucking some serious McMahon c*ck. I see no other possible reason for her continued elevation in terms of storylines.

That's a nicer image than speculating how the new Raw GM got the job.

Long’s an ok GM but I was hoping JBL might take the Smackdown one, his pro-heel decisions could have been amusing viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Looks like Larry Sweeney is on his way out of ROH. Didn't do anything at the shows and was hanging with Alvarez on Mania weekend but he couldn't really say anything about his situation which sounds like code for of to WWE or TNA

• Registered Users Posts: 21,997 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

D-FENS wrote: »
    That's a nicer image than speculating how the new Raw GM got the job.

Long’s an ok GM but I was hoping JBL might take the Smackdown one, his pro-heel decisions could have been amusing viewing.

Could it be if JBL does not take Tazz spot on Smackdown he could be drafted to the GM role on ECW?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Looks like Larry Sweeney is on his way out of ROH. Didn't do anything at the shows and was hanging with Alvarez on Mania weekend but he couldn't really say anything about his situation which sounds like code for of to WWE or TNA

I think its more a mental health issue with Sweeney though, which led to some erratic bahaviour recently, leading in turn to him being written off the last few shows until he got himself sorted, rather than him getting a job elsewhere. Might be wrong there though, thst what I read in the Observer a couple of weeks back, hadn't heard anything since.

Brief story on ROH and Ric Flair.

Ring Of Honor Owner Reveals Why Signed Ric Flair
    Date Added: April 09, 2009
    Story By: Andy Steven
    Ring of Honor owner Cary Silkin revealed why he is booking Ric Flair on his shows in a recent interview with ScrippsNews.com. "Ric Flair is one of the Babe Ruths of pro wrestling," Silkin said. "He has a lot of relevance. I love Bruno Sammartino and we were very successful when he came to visit the company once in New York. But a 19-year-old wouldn't know who he was unless he was a wrestling historian. A 19-year-old or 69-year-old would know Ric Flair.”

"Bringing him in not only gives us a tremendous amount of credibility but also a much-needed recognizable face. As great as our guys are, I'm a realist. Unless you're an Internet wrestling fan, you're not going to know who Bryan Danielson, Nigel McGuinness or The Briscoes are. We need to attract the rest of the world. I think Ric is the perfect person to put into that spot." Silkin added.

Could it be if JBL does not take Tazz spot on Smackdown he could be drafted to the GM role on ECW?

Doubt it -

John Bradshaw Layfield announced in a blog post on the WWE Universe site yesterday, he has retired from professional wrestling. Furthermore, he has no current plans on doing anything on a professional level with WWE. Following his announcement, WWE.com moved his profile from the Raw section to the WWE Alumni section.

Doubt it -

John Bradshaw Layfield announced in a blog post on the WWE Universe site yesterday, he has retired from professional wrestling. Furthermore, he has no current plans on doing anything on a professional level with WWE. Following his announcement, WWE.com moved his profile from the Raw section to the WWE Alumni section.

So FCW is not connected to WWE?

So FCW is not connected to WWE?

Technically it is but it's not exactly its flagship show, WWE don’t usually point out it’s association with it much.
    Plus isn't JBL more or less a silent partner with them?
    I know Foley thinks share holder duties should include challenging for world titles but maybe Bradshaw's going to take more of a back seat approach! :)

• Advertisement

JBL Joins The Broadcast Team Of Upstart MMA Group (Press Release)

http://www.vyperfightleague.com/pages/news.html

Ohio Valley Wrestling's Danny Davis sent out the following press release this afternoon announcing that former WWE superstar John Bradshaw Layfield will be joining the broadcast team of OVW's new Mixed Martial Arts company, the Vyper Fight League (VFL):

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

John “Bradshaw” Layfield & Layfield Energy Co. Join the Vyper Fight League

The Vyper Fight League and Vyper Productions are proud to announce the addition of John “Bradshaw” Layfield, formerly WWE’s “JBL,” and Layfield Energy Company to the VFL product. John Layfield, coming fresh off of his retirement from professional wrestling, will be joining the VFL broadcast team as one of its hosts. Layfield is a former WWE Champion; the longest reigning in Smackdown history, a former broadcaster on WWE Smackdown, regularly appears on Fox News Channel’s The Cost of Freedom, is a best-selling author, and is the president and owner of Layfield Energy Company. John Layfield joins the VFL at its inaugural event, Enter the Vypers Pit, on Friday April 24th, 2009, at 4400 Shepherdsville Road in Louisville, Kentucky.

In addition to John Layfield joining the VFL broadcast team, Layfield Energy Company is a proud sponsor of the Vyper Fight League. Layfield Energy Plus is a breakthrough supplement product that triggers energy, focus, and is an anti-inflammatory, with all the gain and none of the pain. Layfield Energy Plus is endorsed not only by John Layfield himself, but also by former WWE Diva and Covergirl, Torrie Wilson, as well as Baseball Hall of Famer, Wade Boggs. For more information go to www.LayfieldEnergy.com

Friday April 24th, 2009, the VFL presents Enter the Vypers Pit, where the world of Mixed Martial Arts will be revolutionized. The Vypers Pit is a state-of-the-art facility, equipped with stellar production capabilities and an intimate environment where every seat in the house is up-close-and-personal to the action. The facility is television ready and television friendly. Upon launch, the VFL will be taping monthly Friday Night Fights for future television broadcasts. The Vyper Fighters will be showcased with some of the most upscale production value in the MMA world.

The VFL is owned and operated by Danny Davis, a respected and successful member of the Sports Entertainment media for almost three decades. Davis has hosted and produced over 600 television tapings, and he has groomed hundreds of Sports Entertainment stars for the spotlight, including current UFC Heavyweight Champion, Brock Lesnar. Davis and Lesnar maintain a close relationship, and Lesnar has a keen interest in the success of the VFL and its fighters.

The VFL will host the most competitive fights in the region with the hungriest and most talented up-and-coming fighters around. For more information visit www.VyperFightLeague.com. In conjunction with Layfield Energy Company, and the addition of John Layfield to the VFL product, the Vyper Fight League is sure to rock the foundations of the MMA world on Friday April 24th, 2009, as the VFL presents Enter the Vypers Pit.

Wow.
    That was quick.

Wow.
    That was quick.

Its alarming when someone like JBL jumps into an MMA project so quick. If there was money to be made by staying in wrestling he would have stuck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Shaneomac

flahavaj wrote: »

Could possibly be hottest diva though so it makes sense to have her on tv more plus its ecw so shes not too exposed.

Its alarming when someone like JBL jumps into an MMA project so quick. If there was money to be made by staying in wrestling he would have stuck with it.

Well JBL has so much money now that maybe its more of a case that now he just wants to relax and have some fun. Its known he has been an mma fan for a while has it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Randy Savage has been added to the WWE Alumni section on WWE.com

http://www.wwe.com/superstars/wwealumni/randysavage/bio/

That will most likely to promote the DVD if anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Is Savage in the HOF yet?

JP Liz wrote: »
    Is Savage in the HOF yet?

Depends on the one you refer to.
    In the proper Hall Of Fame, yes, he got inducted in 1996.

In the joke that is WWE's Hall Of Fame for rejected footballers and baseball players, then no, he isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Technically it is but it's not exactly its flagship show, WWE dont usually point out its association with it much.
    Plus isn't JBL more or less a silent partner with them?
    I know Foley thinks share holder duties should include challenging for world titles but maybe Bradshaw's going to take more of a back seat approach! :)

FCW is WWE's only developmental promotion. JBL is involved with OVW, their former developmental territory. OVW have no official ties with WWE now, but they're still probably the best place in the US to learn to wrestle

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement