Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Just spoke to a Panasonic retailer who says that the Panasonic TX-P42G20 connot pick up Irish DTT as it only has an MPEG2 freeview tuner for UK & connot decode the Irish "saorview" MPEG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭martian1980

The Cush wrote: »
    A posssible downside to that could be the loss of VHF analogue tuning if you require it for analogue RTÉ 1 & 2 as is the case with Sony TVs.

Does this definitely happen on the Sony TVs? I'm collecting a 32W5810 this weekend and wondering if it would be better for me to set the region as Ireland or England.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Does this definitely happen on the Sony TVs? I'm collecting a 32W5810 this weekend and wondering if it would be better for me to set the region as Ireland or England.

Thanks

Why would one need VHF anyway? there are only 2 channels on it, as far as I know, RTE1 and NET2.
    you get this on RTE digital. so no big loss. or is it? Am I missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭martian1980

Souriau wrote: »
    Why would one need VHF anyway? there are only 2 channels on it, as far as I know, RTE1 and NET2.
    you get this on RTE digital. so no big loss. or is it? Am I missing something here?

My only concern would be that until digital is officially launched, I have no guarantee of a digital rte signal and I'd watch a fair bit of RTE1 and 2

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Thanks

Received mine today, set it to Ireland. Didn't check it in UK mode.

I can also confirm MHEG-5 is available on the Irish DTT channels with the Ireland setting. FTA satellite and not freesat is available in this setting also so no red button or epg (now and next only) but I'm happy with that, can arrange the channels the way I want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭championc

I have seen Sony KDL32W5810 for €569 in the Sony store, Full Hd with Freesat. Anyone think this is a good buy

Are you absolutely sure this has MPEG-4 ? Any specs I found seem to say MPEG-2.

It's a cracking set and was interested myself.

C

championc wrote: »
    Are you absolutely sure this has MPEG-4 ? Any specs I found seem to say MPEG-2.

It's a cracking set and was interested myself.
    C

Can confirm 100% its MPEG-4 (and MHEG-5), watching it right now :D

Manual available here with the specs at the rear.

Got it from Peats in Dublin for €519 + delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭championc

From the Specs

TV system Analogue: Depending on your country/area selection: B/G/H, D/K, L, I
    Digital: DVB-T/DVB-C
    Satellite: DVB-S/DVB-S2

Colour/video system Analogue: PAL, PAL60 (only video input), SECAM, NTSC3.58, NTSC4.43 (only video input)
    Digital: MPEG-2 MP@ML/HL, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC MP/HP@L4

Can anyone confirm if this Sony set could also do Freeview HD or not ? Since it does Freesat HD, and I'd see myself only buying a new set every 10 years or so, I want to try and future proof myself in as much as possible (since I have an Aerial on my roof and use Divis

C

From the Specs

Colour/video system Analogue: PAL, PAL60 (only video input), SECAM, NTSC3.58, NTSC4.43 (only video input)

Can anyone confirm if this Sony set could also do Freeview HD or not ? Since it does Freesat HD, and I'd see myself only buying a new set every 10 years or so, I want to try and future proof myself in as much as possible (since I have an Aerial on my roof and use Divis

C

No, not from the spec. Freeview HD needs DVB-T2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Karsini wrote: »
    No, not from the spec. Freeview HD needs DVB-T2.
    Karsini, what's your reception of Divis from Belfast like at your location? Grainy pictures or fairly poor?

• Advertisement

FREETV wrote: »
    Karsini, what's your reception of Divis from Belfast like at your location? Grainy pictures or fairly poor?

I've only got UPC here, no aerials set up at all. I'd try only that I'm in a rented flat. ;) But I assume I'd get nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Karsini wrote: »
    I've only got UPC here, no aerials set up at all. I'd try only that I'm in a rented flat. ;) But I assume I'd get nothing.
    I have UPC digital select here and I am strongly thinking of cancelling it a month after the twelve month contract is finished. I rarely watch it as I have HD and SD fta satellite and there are only a handful or so of half decent channels with the digital select pack worth watching, the rest are rubbish or can be watched with my sat receivers or a small amplified indoor aerial with the SD Sagem Picnic box for Irish DTT tests. Bit of a rip off UPC in my opinion but had no other option when we first moved in and rented this house.

No, that TV is not freeview HD compatible, I don't think there are any combo freeview HD / freesat TVs in the Sony range.

According to byte any Sony model ending in 3 (eg. EX503) has Freeview HD (MPEG4 DVB-T2). See the Sony UK website.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

My only concern would be that until digital is officially launched, I have no guarantee of a digital rte signal and I'd watch a fair bit of RTE1 and 2
    OK, fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d8player

Just spoke to a Panasonic retailer who says that the Panasonic TX-P42G20 connot pick up Irish DTT as it only has an MPEG2 freeview tuner for UK & connot decode the Irish "saorview" MPEG4.

I have this TV and last time I checked I was able to pick up the Irish DTT signal no problem. From the Pana website

***Notice for DVB functions: / This TV is designed to meet the standards (current as of August, 2009) of DVB-T/C/S/S2 (MPEG2 and MPEG4-AVC [H.264]) services.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

From the Specs

I'm in the same boat as yourself championc, I'm holding back on replacing until there are a reasonable range of Freeview HD televisions available and at a reasonable price.

With new ones begining to hit the market this shouldn't be to long. (That's one benefit the World Cup might bring). With Freeview HD built in I also hope to be able to pick up the digital signal from the Republic without any additional boxes. I'm not stuck on any particular manufacturer but Pansonic would be my manufacturer of choice.

You may like to take a look at the John Lewis site, they have a pretty good selection of Freeview HD televisions, it gives you an idea of what is available and if you do decide to buy they deliver to the North and there is that five year guarantee which I find pretty tempting.

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Can confirm that a LG 32LH2000 tv is able to recieve all Irish DTT and is displaying the second test card channel No6 in HD 1080i. Currently getting all six tv and ten radio channels.

The EPG is displaying programs 6 days in advance and interestingly prompts you to record a program (no doubt for higher spec tv's).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭SteM

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Can confirm that a LG 32LH2000 tv is able to recieve all Irish DTT and is displaying the second test card channel No6 in HD 1080i. Currently getting all six tv and ten radio channels.

The EPG is displaying programs 6 days in advance and interestingly prompts you to record a program (no doubt for higher spec tv's).

I picked one of these up from Pixmania for the parents last week. Couldn't believe the quality of the DTT picture from an indoor powered aerial. They're delighted with it alongside freesat. Would be nice if RTE used the HD test channel to broadcast the world cup in HD as a test.

When I set it up for them there was no EPG data though - matbe it takes time to come through? I was only there for 30 minutes or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Some TV's can play DivX's and AVI's, Photos from a USB drive. Maybe they can record on to them aswell. That would be so handy.

I notice that RTÉ state that DVB-T2 will be required in the "Saorview" boxes. I hope to by the panasonic D25, gives the following spec ~ PAL -B/G/H, -I, -D/K: SECAM -B/G, -D/K, L/L'; DVB-T, DVB-T (MPEG4-AVC [H.264]), DVB-S/S2 (MPEG4-AVC [H.264]).
    Is DVB-T (MPEG4-AVC [H.264]) = DVB-T2? I need to know asap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

The record functionality is designed to work with an external VCR. If you set a program to record on the TV, it will change to that channel at the appropriate time. You have to also set the timer on your VCR to do the actual recording.

That TV can play Movies, music and photos from the USB port if you change certain settings in the service menu (depending on what firmware version you have)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

I notice that RTÉ state that DVB-T2 will be required in the "Saorview" boxes. I hope to by the panasonic D25, gives the following spec ~ PAL -B/G/H, -I, -D/K: SECAM -B/G, -D/K, L/L'; DVB-T, DVB-T (MPEG4-AVC [H.264]), DVB-S/S2 (MPEG4-AVC [H.264]).
    Is DVB-T (MPEG4-AVC [H.264]) = DVB-T2? I need to know asap!

DVB-T2 was a typo in that press release, Saorview is staying as DVB-T/Mpeg 4
    - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66220487&postcount=1724

Thanks for your response. Looks like I'm ok for that one so, although on the rtenl site the specs for the set top box include:
    To conform to the minimum receiver specification the IRD shall be compliant with the following standards:
    1) NorDig 2.0 Basic Profile @ High Definition Level
    2) MHEG-5 UK Profile, version 1.06
    3) Additions and clarifications as set out in this document.
    Question is MPEG5=DVB-T2 or is this some other standard?

Mpeg5 is a separate standard that can be used on either DVB-T or T2

I asked aquestion about DVB-t and DVB-t2 earlier and got this reponse , it be of might help you.

Sam Russel wrote -
    "The T1 and T2 are the encoding of the mux, so that error correction and sync signals are embedded. T2 is a more elaborate version of T1, and is a superset of T1. The mux is either encoded using T1 or T2.

The multiplexed signals are each separately encoded to compress the data, using either MPEG 4 or MPEG 2. The data compression is a separate level.

The HD/SD is to do with the data itself, and can be transmitted in T1 or T2, and MPEG 2 or MPEG 4. It is possible to have SD MPEG 4 T2 transmission, or HD MPEG 2 T1.

Benefits of T2 over T1 is greater bitrates. The benefit of MPEG 4 over MPEG 2 is greater compression, and HD gives higher definition."

From that I take it DVB-T (MPEG4-AVC [H.264]) is not = DVB-T2 , MPEG4-AVC [H.264] is just a data compression standard

hope that helps

Thanks again. Would you mind looking at the spec sheet of this set below & let me know how I will be fixed. My brain is gone to mush from looking at spec sheets of tv's over the past few weeks. I like this one cause of the DTT & FTA DVB-S-HD
    http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/VIERA+Flat+Screen+Televisions/VIERA+Flat+Screen+TV+%28Ireland%29/TX-L42D25L/Specification/4723193/index.html?trackInfo=true

It looks good for Irish DTT and free to air Sat , I think there is a thread here about them or very simular http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055828572.

FREETV wrote: »
    I have UPC digital select here and I am strongly thinking of cancelling it a month after the twelve month contract is finished. I rarely watch it as I have HD and SD fta satellite and there are only a handful or so of half decent channels with the digital select pack worth watching, the rest are rubbish or can be watched with my sat receivers or a small amplified indoor aerial with the SD Sagem Picnic box for Irish DTT tests. Bit of a rip off UPC in my opinion but had no other option when we first moved in and rented this house.

Same as. I live right beside the Dublin-Sligo railway line and my view to the south is blocked by the embankment. So no satellite for me. :(

Question is MPEG5=DVB-T2 or is this some other standard?
    jobyrne30 wrote: »
    Mpeg5 is a separate standard that can be used on either DVB-T or T2

There is no such standard as MPEG-5, what you are referring to is MHEG-5 the standard for digital text on DTT in this country and digital text and epg on freeview and freesat in the UK. It may also be used in the future for other interactive features.

Thank you for clarifying the MPEG/MHEG issue :confused:. Once again regarding the specs for the Panasonic D25 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66220487&postcount=1724, can you have a look to acertain if this tv will be able to access the digital txt to which MHEG5 refers.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    There is no such standard as MPEG-5, what you are referring to is MHEG-5 the standard for digital text on DTT in this country and digital text and epg on freeview and freesat in the UK. It may also be used in the future for other interactive features.

Thanks, That's what I meant and I was referring to that in my response. I didn't pick up on the typo - I'm looking at the screen to much today and I've got square eyes :)

Advertisement