Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

ah price of kdl-40w5810 dropped another £15 on amazon decision time looms.

Power City have been advertising a 46 inch Sony with Freesat for €799. They do not say which model, but that looks cheap. Problem is that if you set it to UK, you get Freesat and RTE in the 800's, or set to Ireland and you get FTA with no EPG.

Decisions, decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,517 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

this was the reply

"Thank you for your reply.

Certain televisions do have an MPEG 4 tuner, however this is because they are released throughout Europe in countries that have an MPEG 4 broadcast. As the tuner has not been specifically designed or tested for the new signal in the Republic of Ireland we cannot say that it is compatible.

At this present time, the DTT signal is in beta testing and being broadcast as free to air. A television with an MPEG 4 tuner such as the KDL-EX403 may be able to pick up the signal (although this cannot be guaranteed as it has not been tested), however this would be subject to change as the signal changes throughout its development. The majority of television services in the Republic of Ireland use an encrypted signal with a set top box and subscription service to pick up the channels, and our current range of BRAVIA televisions definitely do not support this encryption. It would not be possible to say whether the DTT signal will eventually convert to this system. Therefore, to avoid disappointment we would not recommend that you purchase a television with the expectation of using it with the DTT signal. As our range of BRAVIAs have SCART and HDMI sockets, which are used for the majority of external devices, you could easily connect a set top box verified as compatible with DTT to a BRAVIA television in order to watch the channels.

I hope that this e-mail is of assistance, and has clarified the matter."

i think this is a cover your ass e-mail, yes it has mpeg4 but it might not work with ROI DTT.

i was already to plump for the KDL-40W5810, went to my local currys today, (at least they had heard of mpeg4) mainly just to see what size the bases generally are and will they fit on my existing stand, they showed me lots of LGs that they say are a ok and he then said that no sony at the minute will work with mpeg 4 and if i want a sony i should wait for the new models later in the year.

ah price of kdl-40w5810 dropped another £15 on amazon decision time looms.

its the inconsistency of advice that infuriates me

Their email confuses me a little, the part highlighted in the quote - what are they referring to - all DTT being encrypted similar to cable, MMDS or Sky? As they are in the UK they are probably not aware of Saorview. I hope Sony Ireland are a little more "knowledgeable" than their UK colleagues.

Regarding Currys its always best to do your own research, they just want to make a sale.
    byte wrote: »
    Having being at a recent Sony trade event, they said all models will be compatible with Saorview (horrid logo btw), while any model ending in 3 (eg. EX503) has Freeview HD (MPEG4 DVB-T2).

Have you seen the logo or are you referring to the name? When will the Saorview compatible models arrive? I assume that these models will display MHEG-5 digital text correctly in the Ireland setting unlike the current range.

Power City have been advertising a 46 inch Sony with Freesat for €799. They do not say which model, but that looks cheap.

They have the KDL-40W5810 for €899.95 and the KDL-46V5810 for €799.95.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

I'm trying to find the best (by best I mean best balance between quality and price) Saorview compatible ~22" screen for general usage. Computer, TV and gaming. Any reason not to buy this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-M227WDP-Widescreen-Monitor-Freeview/dp/tech-data/B001NEI7E8/ref=de_a_smtd

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

peking97 wrote: »
    It won't have a VHF tuner but that doesn't matter to me as its the Irish DTT on UHF I'm concerned about.

D8player: Is it MHEG-5 digital interactive text you are receiving or just the old plain analogue teletext?

Any Clarification on the MHEG-5 Text ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d8player

Any Clarification on the MHEG-5 Text ?

Sorry, I had missed the question towards me. I will check this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I'm looking for a 32inch MPEG4 TV, MHEG5 would be nice. 720p vs 1080p doesn't bother me. 95% of my viewing will be SD anyway.

I might want to connect my PC up at times via HDMI to play some games, not too regularly though.

If I could find a TV within the below price range that plays movies from a USB stick it would be great (x.264 mkvs etc)

Here's what I found in a local store. Don't want to order online because I'll never be around for delivery.

LG LH2000
    500 cd/m2
    30,000:1
    €370

Philips 32PFL3404
    500 cd/m2
    30,000:1
    €380

Philips 32PFL5404
    500 cd/m2
    50,000:1
    €430

Samsung LE32B450C
    Good review
    €390

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I went for the LG 32LH2000 in the end because of the ability to play movies from the USB port after a "firmware hack".

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d8player

d8player wrote: »
    Sorry, I had missed the question towards me. I will check this evening.

I had full digital text (fadas and all) on RTE1 & 2.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The Cush wrote: »
    Have you seen the logo or are you referring to the name? When will the Saorview compatible models arrive? I assume that these models will display MHEG-5 digital text correctly in the Ireland setting unlike the current range.
    Hi, sorry, I didn't see this post.

In response, yes I saw what is supposed to be the actual Saorview logo, which was on the slideshow, beside the Freeview logo. The MC did say that it might be the first time for many of us (us that he was speaking to) to see the logo.

We're told that all new upcoming models will have MPEG4 tuners, and, as said, any model ending in 3 is DVBT2 for Freeview HD. Some of these are already on sale, though the TV's don't have a Saorview sticker on them...

If they're gonna bandy about the Saorview logo, then I'd expect full MHEG5 compliance. Since it's UK spec, I suppose it's not a problem anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Rick_

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5295762/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|14419512/c_2/3|cat_15701169|Televisions|14419667.htm

This TV in Argos doesn't have the usual "This TV is incompatible with DTT signals in ROI" spiel that is usually on the bottom of most TV's, so would this work with the tests does anyone know. Annoyingly, they don't give a model number in the ad though... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭surf board

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5295762/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|14419512/c_2/3|cat_15701169|Televisions|14419667.htm

This TV in Argos doesn't have the usual "This TV is incompatible with DTT signals in ROI" spiel that is usually on the bottom of most TV's, so would this work with the tests does anyone know. Annoyingly, they don't give a model number in the ad though... :(

I'm open to correction here but it does say it has a Freeview Tuner & is Topup Tv compatable, which leads me to believe its mpeg2, mpeg4 is required for ROI. So prob won't work on DTT here. However, it does have a CI slot for mpeg2 to mpeg4.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satdog

If its the same one, specs from Hitachi show it only having an MPEG 2 tuner. See under Decodeur TNT http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/product_techspec.do?pt=17&pg=71&proid=664&language=en&country=GB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Rick_

Ah well, thanks anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭glog

Have read most of this thread but still unsure.
    Is LG 37LF2500 compatible with Irish DTT tests ?
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

glog wrote: »
    Have read most of this thread but still unsure.
    Is LG 37LF2500 compatible with Irish DTT tests ?
    Thanks in advance.

If I might hitch a ride on the above question LG 32LH2000 bought in powercity last december, some sites having googled it, say MPEG4 while others as in the LG site say freeview compatable which is MPEG2.

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Both the tv's above are fine for Irish DTT.

All of the LH range have MPEG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭glog

STB wrote: »
    Both the tv's above are fine for Irish DTT.

All of the LH range have MPEG4.

Ranges LF and LH are the same so ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

just bought a new Samsung LE40C650, it has a built in MPEG4 tuner. Haven't had a chance to try it yet as i need to get an aerial sorted but it does have the tuner at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

glog wrote: »
    Ranges LF and LH are the same so ?

No.

Some of the LF (particularly the LF7700 range have Freesat and DVB-T tuners with an MPEG4 processor).

The LHs have single DVB-T tuner and MPEG4 processor.

The predecessors to the LHs were the LG 3000/5000 (no H) range that had MPEG2 hardware.

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    just bought a new Samsung LE40C650, it has a built in MPEG4 tuner. Haven't had a chance to try it yet as i need to get an aerial sorted but it does have the tuner at least

just to confirm tested and working last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Thanks for info. Does that include MHEG-5 text working correctly?

peking97 wrote: »
    Thanks for info. Does that include MHEG-5 text working correctly?

not sure, will check tonight. i presume just pressing the text button will get me the answer

i did have a full extended guide if that answers the question

Something I noticed with a Samsung TV on display in Currys recently (posted previously), on channels RTÉ 1 & 2, TV3 and TG4 standard (analogue) teletext was displayed but when text was accessed on the RTÉ News Now channel MHEG-5 text was displayed.

It would be interesting to see if this is a feature on all Samsung TVs.

The Saorview spec gives MHEG-5 text priority over standard teletext if present otherwise standard text is displayed.

The programme guide doesn't use MHEG-5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

A lot of the Samsung's seem to prioritise analogue text over MHEG-5.
    Don't know if this is something Samsung plan to change. As a temporary workaround for RTÉ ONE and RTÉ TWO, press the blue fastext key (which will display the current top news headline in a popup), followed by the red fastext key and it should take you to P100.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

The Cush wrote: »
    Something I noticed with a Samsung TV on display in Currys recently (posted previously), on channels RTÉ 1 & 2, TV3 and TG4 standard (analogue) teletext was displayed but when text was accessed on the RTÉ News Now channel MHEG-5 text was displayed.

It would be interesting to see if this is a feature on all Samsung TVs.

The Saorview spec gives MHEG-5 text priority over standard teletext if present otherwise standard text is displayed.

The programme guide doesn't use MHEG-5.

This is from a samsung LE32B450 is this MHEG-5?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭emaherx

Kensington wrote: »
    A lot of the Samsung's seem to prioritise analogue text over MHEG-5.
    Don't know if this is something Samsung plan to change. As a temporary workaround for RTÉ ONE and RTÉ TWO, press the blue fastext key (which will display the current top news headline in a popup), followed by the red fastext key and it should take you to P100.

Set the region to UK and MHEG5 is given priority

emaherx wrote: »
    Set the region to UK and MHEG5 is given priority

A posssible downside to that could be the loss of VHF analogue tuning if you require it for analogue RTÉ 1 & 2 as is the case with Sony TVs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

I have notice that RTE digital Aertel is available on 5 channels
    RTE1, RTE2, RTE News, RTENL1 & RTENL2.
    TG4 does not have any digital teletext

Advertisement