Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭SteM

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    I went for the LG 32LH2000 in the end because of the ability to play movies from the USB port after a "firmware hack".

Mind me asking how you're finding this so far? Was thinking of picking one up for the bedroom byt I've never bought an LG product before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

SteM wrote: »
    Mind me asking how you're finding this so far? Was thinking of picking one up for the bedroom byt I've never bought an LG product before.

Yeah LG TVs are good. Stylish, at the lower cost end compared to other brands, solid remote and construction. The families 42inch LG3000, and my 32LH2000 haven't given any trouble at all.

I haven't yet got digital terrestrial on it, living in an area with very poor signal strength.

The movie playback after the firmware hack is pretty amazing it has to be said. It's mad the way they have this functionality hidden away and all it takes is a few values to be changed in the service menus to enable it.

Some movies seem to cause the movie playback to crash at a certain point. It's probably down to the encoding of the movie. It's easy enough to fast forward through the point that causes crashes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

The old CRT Television is, I believe, ready to give up the ghost. It’s occasionally turning itself off and the picture has widened and can’t even be reduced by selecting the ‘reduced’ option on the set. So I guess I’ll soon be in the market for a new TV.

Now I’ve a good idea of what I want: 32inch, capable of receiving FTA broadcasts from the Republic and from what I’m reading the way to go is to buy a new Freeview HD ready television. No games or satellite.

Over the past number of days I’ve been doing a little research and come up with the following tv’s which are advertised as Freeview HD Ready
    Sony KDL32EX403 £549
    Sony KDL32EX503U £699
    Sony KDL32EX403U £500
    LG 32LD690 £650
    Panasonic TX-L32S20 32" £699
    Samsung LE32C650L £699
    Samsung LE32C580 £600
    Samsung UE32C5100 £560

Now there is no way I’m going to pay in excess of £700 just to watch television so I’ve stopped at that mark and I’ve also ignored a number of manufacturers such as Toshiba as it would seem that they have been a little ‘ify’ in their offerings over the past number of years.

You guys down South what’s on offer there and what sort of prices are been charged? It maybe that I can buy a Southern model for less than one tagged Freeview HD ready that will do the same job; a few of the smaller retailers here in the North may stock these models. I’m assuming that when the tag Freeview HD is stamped on the television the price is hiked! So as I can have a look at their web site who are the big retailers in the Republic.

My manufacturer of choice would be Panasonic but their offering at £700 is a bit on the heavy side so I’m thinking it will probably be the Sony KDL32EX403 @ £549, the LG 32LD690 @ £650 or the Samsung LE32C580 @ £600.

Any input welcomed

Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

You don't need Freeview HD (DVB-T2 / MPEG4), you just need DVB-T / MPEG4.

Those 32in TVs you listed are on the expensive side because of the newer DVB-T2 hardware. See the list I posted a few posts back, you should be able to get a 32in for Irish DTT for roughly €400.

EDIT:
    Of course if you are from the North and want to receive the Freeview HD channels, you will need DVB-T2 hardware.

Hi Bob, thanks for the reply.

Yep from the little North - Armagh - and trying to get the best of both worlds.

Kevin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

kah22 wrote: »
    My manufacturer of choice would be Panasonic but their offering at £700 is a bit on the heavy side so I’m thinking it will probably be the Sony KDL32EX403 @ £549, the LG 32LD690 @ £650 or the Samsung LE32C580 @ £600.

Any input welcomed

Kevin

Don't buy Panasonic if you wish to receive TV from the south. Their sets are hobbled for UK use only. No VHF tuner and the MPEG4 doesn't work properly for Irish DTT broadcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 somorain

I went with the following for my son's room:

Samsung LE26B350 26" LCD TV DVB-T/C MPEG4 Freeview HD

Digital reception very good from small ears aerial in attic
    Strength 32%
    Quality 61%

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d8player

somorain wrote: »

Strength 32%
    Quality 61%

Where did you buy it and for how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Rick_

Hi Bob, thanks for the reply.

Yep from the little North - Armagh - and trying to get the best of both worlds.

Kevin
    I'm also from Armagh and am going to be getting a TV for my bedroom soon and would like a 26"/32" model capable of receiving the ROI's DTT servcice and also the Freeview service together with Freeview HD when it launches.

We did get the 22" version of the LG LH2000 and it is nice but we have a few niggles with it:

Remote needs you to press the buttons quite hard just to get it to work.
    Volume on analogue TV can be put right up to 100 and it isn't that loud, compared to DTT where putting it to 20 would be more than sufficient.
    Freeview channels keep re-ordering themselves for some reason.

Maybe I just got a dud set or something, but I don't think I'd go for another LG TV again. Their OSD is very nice looking too and the EPG is nicely laid out, just a pity about the problems. I also have it 'unlocked' so it can play music and films from the USB port on the back.

Let me know what set you are thinking of going for Kevin, I need some suggestions and don't want to be spending loads myself!
    somorain wrote: »

Strength 32%
    Quality 61%

Just to confirm this is not a Freeview HD set, it is HD ready and receives the UK Freeview service and the ROI DTT tests. It is available on Ritcher Sounds for £269.95 in NI, not sure what it is down south though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 somorain

d8player wrote: »
    Where did you buy it and for how much?

www.ditecttvs.co.uk @ £259

• Advertisement

winston_1 wrote: »
    Don't buy Panasonic if you wish to receive TV from the south. Their sets are hobbled for UK use only. No VHF tuner and the MPEG4 doesn't work properly for Irish DTT broadcasts.
    Could you expand Winston?

Yesterday I came across This Panasonic Television at Argos (click on Details Tab) scroll to the bottom and you will see where it says:
    Please note that the digital (Freeview) features mentioned are not compatible with digital signals broadcast in the Republic of Ireland
    Now I was under the impression that a television with a built in Freeview HD tuner IS capable of receiving digital broadcasts from the Republic.

As I said in an earlier post Panasonic would be my manufacturer of choice and this is a very good price for a Panasonic and I'm really tempted but I don't want to buy if it won't pick up digital transmissions from the Republic. It had crossed my mind that this is just a phrase put in by Argos just to keep themselves covered, but then Winson threw up some doubts. What do Panasonic actually do?

Living in Armagh City I have no difficulty picking up both the digital and analogue signal from across the border.

Kevin

Kev, where abouts in Armagh City are you? I live in the city too and I'm quite high up and even I get frequent break-up and sound pips on the ROI broadcasts. Is your reception rock solid on the DTT tests?

Kev, where abouts in Armagh City are you?

Check your private messages.

Kevin

It would be nice if the first page could be contantly updated with makes and model numbers so we don't have to look through the entire thread if we want to check if a certain TV works. It would make trying to find a suitable TV much easier anyway!

Just to ask, does the Samsung LE32B450C4WXXU have an MPEG 4 tuner and work with the new HD test channel too?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

I have a Samsung LE32B450C4WXXN It has an MPEG4 tuner showing Irish DTT including the HD channel at 1080i

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

I've been looking at the Panasonic LED/LCD TX-L42D25L, built in DVB-T tuner & HD DVB-S satellite receiver @ €1399, kinda saucy. Panasonic have the G20 series plasma almost the exact same spec as the D25 & a lot cheaper - but not available in Ireland, only difference is the UK version hasn't got a VHF tuner. The Irish equivelent is the S20 series (no DVB-S receiver). The only thing thats pushing me towards the LED/LCD model the availability of instant "free" HD satellite broadcasts from BBC & ITV.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

I've been looking at the Panasonic LED/LCD TX-L42D25L, built in DVB-T tuner & HD DVB-S satellite receiver @ €1399, kinda saucy. Panasonic have the G20 series plasma almost the exact same spec as the D25 & a lot cheaper - but not available in Ireland, only difference is the UK version hasn't got a VHF tuner. The Irish equivelent is the S20 series (no DVB-S receiver). The only thing thats pushing me towards the LED/LCD model the availability of instant "free" HD satellite broadcasts from BBC & ITV.

I have seen Sony KDL32W5810 for €569 in the Sony store, Full Hd with Freesat. Anyone think this is a good buy

going to buy off Amazon probably (that free 3 year guarantee between the 13th and 20th sounds good)
    Have a look at the John Lewis site, they offer a five year guarantee. They deliver to the North but not to sure if they deliver down South. Which Consumer Site highly recommend John Lewis.

The Cush wrote: »
    They are all MPEG-4 compliant, look out for "Digital: MPEG-2 MP@ML/HL, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC MP/HP@L4" in the specification.

Does that mean that televisions with the above would be able to pick up digital television from both North and South of the border; given, of course, that you are within range.

Coming from the North I want a 32 inch set that will give me Freeview, Freeview HD when it arrives here, and digital television from down south.

Not really that much to ask :D

Kevin

I'm going for the Samsung LE32B450 in Argos, it has been reduced to £299 now. Freeview HD doesn't interest me at the moment, and when it comes, I'll probably just buy a STB that will get me it if it ends up offering more/different channels than Freesat HD does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Coming from the North I want a 32 inch set that will give me Freeview, Freeview HD when it arrives here, and digital television from down south.

For freeview HD the TV must also be DVB-T2 compliant i.e. it must carry the freeview HD logo.

TVs that carry that logo will also be DVB-T MPEG2 and MPEG4 backward compatible and should receive the overspill Irish DTT channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Have a look at the John Lewis site, they offer a five year guarantee. They deliver to the North but not to sure if they deliver down South. Which Consumer Site highly recommend John Lewis.

They do not deliver south of the border (as stated on their website).

Just checking for later on, when tuning in the RTE channels on DTT, is it best to set the TV up for UK or Ireland in the menu? I will also be receiving Freeview on this set.

On the LG model I used to use you could set it for UK but then the EPG numbers were set and you couldn't reorder channels or anything, but if you chose "no country" or any other apart from UK it let you re-order the channels, rename them and stuff. Also, the digital text feature might not activate if it's in the Ireland setting too, so I don't know which is best to use!

The TV I will be using is the Samsung LE32B450 as stated in a previous post. Any users of that set might have the answer to my query!

Just checking for later on, when tuning in the RTE channels on DTT, is it best to set the TV up for UK or Ireland in the menu? I will also be receiving Freeview on this set.

On the LG model I used to use you could set it for UK but then the EPG numbers were set and you couldn't reorder channels or anything, but if you chose "no country" or any other apart from UK it let you re-order the channels, rename them and stuff. Also, the digital text feature might not activate if it's in the Ireland setting too, so I don't know which is best to use!

The TV I will be using is the Samsung LE32B450 as stated in a previous post. Any users of that set might have the answer to my query!

I cant give you a full answer to your question. I have it set to Ireland which gives me Irish DTT I don't receive Freeview. I do get MHEG-5 with the Ireland setting.

BTW i can fully recommend the samsung. If you are not happy with the picture, reading reviews many people were not, there are a LOT of settings to play with so with a lot of configuring you can get a perfect picture. If you need any help with that just ask. I think the problem with a lot of complainers was that they just couldn't get right. Prepare to spend about an hour with the picture settings it probably won't be brilliant out of the box.

Also you can configure separate settings for each input as each source will be different.

HTH

If I run into any difficulties later when setting it up I may take you up on that offer! Seperate settings for each input it handy, same as my Sony, because playing the Gamecube and watching DVd's require different settings, most manufacturers don't understand that!

Right, TV bought, set up and everything working fine, incluing the RTE channels. :D

What settings do you have for the sound/picture? I think what I have is OK but I'm curious incase there's somehting I haven't done or checked that might improve the picture or sound.

One small niggle, I have deleted the shopping/tart/text/pay channels from the list, but when I go to view the EPG they still come up. I have re-ordered the channels as to how I want them but they still appear scattered among them or at the end of the EPG. Can they not be fully deleted?

Right, TV bought, set up and everything working fine, incluing the RTE channels. :D

What settings do you have for the sound/picture? I think what I have is OK but I'm curious incase there's somehting I haven't done or checked that might improve the picture or sound.

I have uploaded a document with some calibration settings which I used as a guide.
    One small niggle, I have deleted the shopping/tart/text/pay channels from the list, but when I go to view the EPG they still come up. I have re-ordered the channels as to how I want them but they still appear scattered among them or at the end of the EPG. Can they not be fully deleted?

I can't help you here I only have Irish DTT.

As a matter of interest which country did you set it you?

I set it for UK, the MHEG text does show up on the RTE channels.

Will try those settings shortly and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

lukejr wrote: »

I have the 32" version of this set and can confirm it works fine :)

Advertisement