Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

There are definitely 19" panasonics available, are they DTT compatible, not too sure, would imagine newer irish models are

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Souriau wrote: »
    This is the same for my LG LF7700 LCD, RTÉ1 is shown as RT1 as the telly does not seem to regonise the É
    While the Humax LCD show as RTÉ1

I noted today that the channel name is change
    RT1 is now shown as RTE1
    TV3 is now shown as TV3 (4:3 Aspect Ratio)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

RTÉ1 was displaying fine on my sony., as were the synopsis with fada's in the text.
    A few months back characters with fada's would appear as odd characters

I did notice that tv3 was showing as TV3 (4:3 Aspect Ratio) for the part few days

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

Hi not sure if this is the right place to post this but, i have a LGPC1D , i dont think it has a mpeg4 tuner as i can only recieve sound and the egp (no picture). if i wanted to get the digital channels, what would i need? are there any Free to Air digital set top boxes? ive never seen any in Ireland.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

I feel my old television is on its last legs but hopefully it will last me till summer time when new Freeview HD televisions should be more freely available. I take it that Freeview HD ready TV's will decode the signal from the Republic. I live up North :)

My main reason for posting was to ask a question about the 3View PVR if I'm reading the page correctly if I buy that it should record and presumably decode mpeg4 programs ie programs from you guys down South. That I assume would also let me think of buying an ordinary HD television as they are just not as expensive. Am I reading it correctly and has anyone any experience of the box?

Many thanks for your replies.

Kevin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

sarahn11 wrote: »
    Hi not sure if this is the right place to post this but, i have a LGPC1D , i dont think it has a mpeg4 tuner as i can only recieve sound and the egp (no picture). if i wanted to get the digital channels, what would i need? are there any Free to Air digital set top boxes? ive never seen any in Ireland.

Thanks
    Yes, there are a few brands about, of digital terrestrial receivers. Also, some DTT/Sat combo receivers.

This is an example, but there are others. I've seen Ferguson branded DTT MPEG4 boxes also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

kah22 wrote: »
    I feel my old television is on its last legs but hopefully it will last me till summer time when new Freeview HD televisions should be more freely available. I take it that Freeview HD ready TV's will decode the signal from the Republic. I live up North :)

My main reason for posting was to ask a question about the 3View PVR if I'm reading the page correctly if I buy that it should record and presumably decode mpeg4 programs ie programs from you guys down South. That I assume would also let me think of buying an ordinary HD television as they are just not as expensive. Am I reading it correctly and has anyone any experience of the box?

Many thanks for your replies.

Kevin

Yes it should work with MPEG4 DVBT which ROI is using.

I dont think Freeview HD is being rolled out in NI till 2012 though.

You do know that the remainder of the Freeview stations (ie besides the 3/4 HD stations) will remain in MPEG2 SD on dvb-t.

byte wrote: »
    Yes, there are a few brands about, of digital terrestrial receivers. Also, some DTT/Sat combo receivers.

This is an example, but there are others. I've seen Ferguson branded DTT MPEG4 boxes also.

Byte. They are a bit cheeky with the Irish DTT Ready! MPEG4 yes. MHEg5 - probably not! CI slot - No. And at €140 they are having a laugh. Sure you'll get a HD combo that does DTT and HD Sat off Saortv for an extra tenner.

If you just want a cheap MPEG4 box get one off ebay france - €50 brand new for a Metronic HD-Z1 441610 for example. Loads of second hand "TNT HD" receptors all over ebay.

STB wrote: »
    You do know that the remainder of the Freeview stations (ie besides the 3/4 HD stations) will remain in MPEG2 SD on dvb-t.

Would MPEG4 not be backward comparable, ie decode MPEG2 as well?

kah22 wrote: »
    Would MPEG4 not be backward comparable, ie decode MPEG2 as well?

Yes.

1. In Ireland we are using MPEG4 on DVB-T.

2. In NI you currently use MPEG2 on DVB-T and will be be for the majority of standard definition stations.

3. HD Freeview will be in MPEG4 on DVB-T2. But that will only be for a few HD stations. However as far as I know it could be as late as 2012 before Freeview HD is rolled out in NI.

Hardware at No. 3 will decode both 1, 2 and 3 in NI.

However you should wait a while before running out to buy this gear for Northern Ireland as the price will of course come down in time and given that there will be no advantage to buying it now given rollout plan of HD Freeview service in NI.....

Alternatively you could buy a HD combo box for little as €150 which will give you HD stations via satellite and Freeview and Irish DTT via aerial all in one box. This will not receive the DVB-T2 Freeview HD stations when they eventually launch in NI (but you will get the majority off the HD satellite part of that combo box anyway).

• Advertisement
    byte

STB wrote: »
    Byte. They are a bit cheeky with the Irish DTT Ready! MPEG4 yes. MHEg5 - probably not! CI slot - No. And at €140 they are having a laugh. Sure you'll get a HD combo that does DTT and HD Sat off Saortv for an extra tenner.

If you just want a cheap MPEG4 box get one off ebay france - €50 brand new for a Metronic HD-Z1 441610 for example. Loads of second hand "TNT HD" receptors all over ebay.
    Yes, that's true. They are quite dear. I just used it as a reference to MPEG4 boxes being available in ROI.

I'm nearly sure there's a CI slot in it, but I'd need to double check (I know where I can see one). Not sure about the MHEG5, but I'd also doubt it. I'll report my findings.

Agreed that the DTT/Sat combo for extra tenner makes far more sense to me also.

Yes, that's true. They are quite dear. I just used it as a reference to MPEG4 boxes being available in ROI.

I'm nearly sure there's a CI slot in it, but I'd need to double check (I know where I can see one). Not sure about the MHEG5, but I'd also doubt it. I'll report my findings.

I dont know where they sourced them, but they got fleeced with the OEM. Either that or they are robbing the unsuspecting newbies. They look cheap.

I mean the Sigmatek DVBR-520 HD DVB-T is MPEG4, has PVR via the USB and plays MKVs! Oh and it €60 from pixmania and the likes......

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

Would something like this work? Not looking to spend too much money really. is that all ide need?

Thanks for your reply STB.

At the moment all I'm doing is gathering up the information I'll need when the old television does decide to pack it in and I have to replace it.

To be honest I'm not overly concerned about terrestrial HD television as such, what I am more interested in is in receiving digital television from South of the border and I know you guys down there operate on mpeg4 and I'm guessing if I buy a Freeview HD television that will let me watch television from the Republic. It will also future proof me for when Freeview HD does eventually hit the North and of course if the service is available I would want to make use of it.

When I do upgrade I'll probably buy a PVR to go with the set from what I can gather there appear to be about three on offer

There is the 3VIEW box from what I'm reading it fits the bill - anybody any experience of it.

Toshiba Freeview though with an expected price tab of around £350 it might put some people of. But it does have the advantage of twin tuners and it does seem you will be able to play films you have recorded on your computers hard drive.

On the other hand Humax Freeview is already on sale at an affordable price range of £170 (John Lewis) but with the drawback of a smaller hard drive and only one tuner.

The choice is beginning to widen and I know the longer I can hang of buying then the better the speck and the better the price I can get.

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

sarahn11 wrote: »
    Would something like this work? Not looking to spend too much money really. is that all ide need?
    No, that appears to be an MPEG-2 receiver.

The Sigmatek DVB-500 and DVBR-520 on that website are MPEG-4 (note the French TNT HD "MPEG-4" logo).

byte

Just to update. This unit does have CI slot, though there is no indication that it has MHEG5, so I'd reckon not.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Peddyr

Lads looking at Panasonic Plasmas and just wondering if the Viera 50" Plasma TV TX-P50V10E which lists an MPEG4 decode will work with Irish DTT, I've checked with Panasonic but kind of got the brush off from the guy who answered the phone, the manual can be found here http://dlc.panasonic-europe-service.com/EUDocs/GetDoc.aspx?did=172499&fmt=PDF&lang=en&src=3&uilang=en-GB&model=TXP50V10E

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/2516379/module/general/compare/productsCategory.html

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

My Sharp LC46DH77E also supports irish DTT-when the signal is strong enough that is.

mrblack

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

mrblack wrote: »
    My Sharp LC46DH77E also supports irish DTT-when the signal is strong enough that is.

mrblack
    Checking out Sony 32"S5500U and LG 32"LH2000 are both MPEG4 ?? Diff in price €67 . Recommend one Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

Peddyr wrote: »

UK Panachronics are crippled and DO NOT support Irish MPEG 4 DTT or analogue VHF tuning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

Peddyr wrote: »

UK Panachronics are crippled and do not work with Irish MPEG 4 DTT or analogue VHF channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

Checking out Sony 32"S5500U and LG 32"LH2000 are both MPEG4 ?? Diff in price €67 . Recommend one Thanks

I don't know anything about the Sony- but if you could stretch to another E160 or so you could buy the LG LF327700. This would give you extra features such as full 1080p HD, Freesat rather than freeview (freeview is useless in Ireland unless you are close to the Border), a 3rd HDMI port, and it definitely works with irish DTT.

I am biased as I have an LG LF327700 for the bedroom and its a grand TV imo. The freesat helps a lot allowing wife to watch sky downstairs while I can watch BBC/C4/C5 in bedroom if we are having a channel argument which happens on a weekly basis. Plus it gets more use from the sky dish which is added bonus.

mrblack

Thanks but as this is my 3rd TV and is only for the bedroom I want it to be cheap and reliable. Sony costs €430 and LG €364 approx. I live in Cork and am using a Free to Air system with a quad LNB and an old sky digibox.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Zonda999 brought this thread to my attention.. thought there might be one or two people here interested in this:

Samsung SM2333HD (23" 1080P Monitor) for €206 delivered from Amazon

Members might like to take a look at the new Sony Freeview HD range.

Here is WHICH? the consumer people in the UK, initial thoughts on the range.

And here is a link to Sony's own page

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭ei9go

mrblack wrote: »
    I don't know anything about the Sony- but if you could stretch to another E160 or so you could buy the LG LF327700. This would give you extra features such as full 1080p HD, Freesat rather than freeview (freeview is useless in Ireland unless you are close to the Border), a 3rd HDMI port, and it definitely works with irish DTT.

Check that the Sony S series supports mpeg4 because it did'nt previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

ei9go wrote: »
    Check that the Sony S series supports mpeg4 because it did'nt previously.

Sony S5500s are MPEG2 only it seems. See online Sony manual here. Page 34:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4127735E41.pdf

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Sony S5500s are MPEG2 only it seems. See online Sony manual here. Page 34:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4127735E41.pdf
    Thanks for that will give it a miss so.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

In the local paper today I see a pull out advertisment section for Expert Electrical Tullamore and for the first time it has a paragraph explaining about the change to DTT from the end of 2012. It states that people should look for a tv with an MPEG4 tuner and advises people to buy a tv that will be suitable. They have 8 or 9 Tv's of various sizes and makes listed with a special tricolour logo stating their suitability. This is the first time I have noticed this to such a clear extent and is about time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

medoc wrote: »
    In the local paper today I see a pull out advertisment section for Expert Electrical Tullamore and for the first time it has a paragraph explaining about the change to DTT from the end of 2012. It states that people should look for a tv with an MPEG4 tuner and advises people to buy a tv that will be suitable. They have 8 or 9 Tv's of various sizes and makes listed with a special tricolour logo stating their suitability. This is the first time I have noticed this to such a clear extent and is about time.

Would it be possible to scan and post the advert with the paragraph explaining the switchover?

Advertisement