Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭championc

Would it not be better to wait just a few months and get one with DVB-T2 support ?

C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

STB wrote: »
    Yes thats right.

Here is a fairly future proof LCD.

LG 32LF7700.

Freesat
    DVB-T (MPEG4 via common processor)
    MHEG5
    UHF & VHF analogue tuners

From STG£400.

Try Richer Sounds

Looking for a 26"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

Samsung definitely have some MPEG4 TVs at 26inches as do Toshiba. Look on Pixmania.ie and watch out for TNT HD logo. This is the French HD terrestrial service that is DVB-T MPEG4

• Registered Users Posts: 15,516 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

evilivor wrote: »
    Looking for a 26"

My 26" Sony KDL-26V4500 is MPEG-4, purchased May 2008. As has been said Sony do not mention MPEG-4 on their .ie website but the specs in the respective manuals will include the information i.e. H.264/MPEH4 AVC HP@L4.0, MP@L3.0. The only negative with this TV is in the Ireland setting no MHEG-5 digital text which is not a problem as analogue text is also broadcast with DTT. Digital text is available in the UK setting but then there is no VHF tuner for the analogue channels, which may not be required in your case.

Now that there is compliance testing in place for Irish DTT Saorview, manufacturers like Sony should in due course be fully compliant with the Irish DTT spec and carry the Saorview logo.

Check out this Sony website to download the manuals of the TVs you are interested in and check the specs for MPEG-4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

evilivor wrote: »
    Looking for a 26"

Would you sacrifice the difference it if you were told that this is the most "future proof" and covers all platforms (and is cheaper than a lot of LCDs that tick no boxes at all);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Would you sacrifice the difference it if you were told that this is the most "future proof" and covers all platforms (and is cheaper than a lot of LCDs that tick no boxes at all);)

Personally, I would but I have been tasked to look for it for someone else. As far as she is concerned, as long as it is nice and neat looking she isn't bothered, I am the one who wants to make sure she is as future proofed as possible.

Her house is quite small so I think a 26" would be as large as she would go to avoid having it dominate the living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

i was looking at lg lcd tv in a shop the other day then spotted a samsung led screen is it better to get the led when the price drops or is there much differance in picture quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

vince wrote: »
    i was looking at lg lcd tv in a shop the other day then spotted a samsung led screen is it better to get the led when the price drops or is there much differance in picture quality

You tell us, you were there :)

You can get others opinions, and I've been impressed with LED sets I've seen, but the only way people should buy any TV based on picture quality is to see it for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Antenna

The Cush wrote: »
    Digital text is available in the UK setting but then there is no VHF tuner for the analogue channels, which may not be required in your case.

I have no experience of that set, but it may be possible (in UK setting) to tune in VHF channels if you know the relevant carrier frequencies and manually enter them? might be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

• Advertisement

Antenna wrote: »
    I have no experience of that set, but it may be possible (in UK setting) to tune in VHF channels if you know the relevant carrier frequencies and manually enter them? might be worth a try.

Not possible. No VHF option in UK setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

mrdtv2010 wrote: »
    I don't see why not - unless Toshiba have crippled the firmware so that the MPEG4 decoder will only work on a T1 TS, which is highly doubtful, it should work fine.

What it will NOT do, is receive VHF channels as The Cush mentions. So if you are considering popping up north, then if you are on an UPC analogue cable connection, you will only get Channel 4, E4 and Discovery (IIRC) and nothing else.

Got this 32" LG LCD TV for the bedroom and can confirm it is MPEG4 and that MHEG digital Aertel works fine (under UK setting).

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4312768/art/lg/32lf2510-lcd-television.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

slegs wrote: »
    Got this 32" LG LCD TV for the bedroom and can confirm it is MPEG4 and that MHEG digital Aertel works fine (under UK setting).

Interesting. I got a 19" LG LH2000 yesterday. Works fine with MPEG4. In the options menu there's a data service feature where you can select either "MHEG" or "teletext". Both forms of text appear to work even with Ireland set as country. It's handy to have Ireland as country as the Irish stations are then stored in position 1 etc. When in the UK setting they are stored in the 800's. Unlike the Sony W4000 and V4500 tellys it seems you can't move channels around and put them in the positions you want.

Also I notice the channel ID for RTE1 is "RT1" but the RTE2 ID is correctly displayed as "RTE2". Strange a symbol is missing for RTE1. ID's for TV3 and TG4 are also fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Also I notice the channel ID for RTE1 is "RT1" but the RTE2 ID is correctly displayed as "RTE2". Strange a symbol is missing for RTE1. ID's for TV3 and TG4 are also fine.

This is the same for my LG LF7700 LCD, RTÉ1 is shown as RT1 as the telly does not seem to regonise the É
    While the Humax LCD show as RTÉ1

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

Hi got a LG 32LE3000 which I know is MPEG2 last year and then later I bought a Samsung LE32B450 c4a which is MPeg 4 Now I am living in Cork city should I be getting anything extra on the Samsung EPG??? . The teletext is gone from the BBCs and ITVs since January (no usage)

Interesting. I got a 19" LG LH2000 yesterday. Works fine with MPEG4. In the options menu there's a data service feature where you can select either "MHEG" or "teletext". Both forms of text appear to work even with Ireland set as country. It's handy to have Ireland as country as the Irish stations are then stored in position 1 etc. When in the UK setting they are stored in the 800's. Unlike the Sony W4000 and V4500 tellys it seems you can't move channels around and put them in the positions you want.

Yes actually its the same on mine. Works fine in Ireland setting with MHEG chosen. Very impressed with the Lg for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

Yes actually its the same on mine. Works fine in Ireland setting with MHEG chosen. Very impressed with the Lg for the price.
    which LG 32 or 37 should I be looking out for which has MPeg 4, and is fairly futureproof.

which LG 32 or 37 should I be looking out for which has MPeg 4, and is fairly futureproof.

I suggest Freesat, LG LF7700 series, 32" or 37" is depend on your space of where you place your LCD TV.
    Nothing is fairly futureproof as tehcnology changes so fast...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Yes slegs, it's an impressive TV for its size. Range of socketry on it too is very good. Connected a Humax Freesat satellite box to it via HDMI. Picture is very sharp.

I think it's the "fada" on the E of RTÉ that is upsetting the LG in some cases, hence its not broadcasting the correct ID for the station. So RTÉ 1 (OK on my Sony) is RT1 on the LG. However there is no fada on the RTE2 ID so the LG displays this as RTE2. Similar for RTÉ News Now which displays as "RT News Now" on the LG.

Curiously though, the ID for RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta IS displayed correctly on the LG!

• Advertisement

Curiously though, the ID for RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta IS displayed correctly on the LG!

Yeah noticed this on a few boxes. Must be to do with the language setting on the channel boradcast by RTE NL

LG's LH and LF models all seem to be MPEG4.

At the end of the day it depends on what you want to spend and what you will have connected to the box.

Just check the specification for MPEG4/DVB-T and after that its what ever works for you specifcation wise as the price can ratchet up failry quickly once you start getting extra features.

Almost all brand new model TV's (and I mean late 2009/2010 not from 2007/2008) from reputable manufacturers like Sony. Smasung, LG, Panasonic etc will be MPEG4 but it is always wise to check the spec on their website.

LG's LH and LF models all seem to be MPEG4.

At the end of the day it depends on what you want to spend and what you will have connected to the box.

Just check the specification for MPEG4/DVB-T and after that its what ever works for you specifcation wise as the price can ratchet up failry quickly once you start getting extra features.

Almost all brand new model TV's (and I mean late 2009/2010 not from 2007/2008) from reputable manufacturers like Sony. Smasung, LG, Panasonic etc will be MPEG4 but it is always wise to check the spec on their website.

Does some of the set have MPEG4 but is set to the country selected, so when for example, set to France, you can get MPEG4 but when set to UK or Ireland, the MPEG4 is not available?

Souriau wrote: »
    Does some of the set have MPEG4 but is set to the country selected, so when for example, set to France, you can get MPEG4 but when set to UK or Ireland, the MPEG4 is not available?

On LG it does not seem to matter what country you select. MPEG4 always works if available in the TV.

Also, like noted above the MHEG digital aertel works fine with Ireland as setting.

The LG's are as clean and future proofed for DVB-T/MPEG4 as you will get.

On LG it does not seem to matter what country you select. MPEG4 always works if available in the TV.

Also, like noted above the MHEG digital aertel works fine with Ireland as setting.

The LG's are as clean and future proofed for DVB-T/MPEG4 as you will get.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was not sure, hence my question to ask to confirm or not.
    I know of some other manufacture does restrict the service to each country but was not sure if LG is one of them...
    Once again, thanks for the good info.

Souriau wrote: »
    Thanks for clearing that up. I was not sure, hence my question to ask to confirm or not.
    I know of some other manufacture does restrict the service to each country but was not sure if LG is one of them...
    Once again, thanks for the good info.

I don't think they restrict it, they simply haven't activated for any other country other than the UK and its only now Ireland (the only other MHEG-5 user in Europe) has launched it certification process.

I assume manufacturers like Sony can activate MHEG-5 in the Ireland setting thru a software upgrade or engineers menu. Once DTT launches I plan to contact Sony regarding my V4500.

btw: Anyone know how to access the engineers menu on a Sony V4500 model or any Sony model? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Just been looking at the 2010 Sony Bravia range and as far as i can make out, every tv will have an mpeg4 tuner suitable for Irish DTT, better late than never i think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

The Cush wrote: »
    I don't think they restrict it, they simply haven't activated for any other country other than the UK and its only now Ireland (the only other MHEG-5 user in Europe) has launched it certification process.

I assume manufacturers like Sony can activate MHEG-5 in the Ireland setting thru a software upgrade or engineers menu. Once DTT launches I plan to contact Sony regarding my V4500.

btw: Anyone know how to access the engineers menu on a Sony V4500 model or any Sony model? ;)

MHEG5 can be offered in a firmware update. Would they offer it though ? As there are licence issues surely ?

Enginneers/Sevice Menu on Sony's

Before doing this - what are you hoping to achieve ????

It can be dangerous if you change anything.......

Having said that.......

Put it in standby mode (LED shows red)

Then input combination on your remote: [i+] (info button in upper left corner), 5 (channel button), Volume Up, Power On (green button in upper right corner). The TV should start and there should be a service menu on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

MHEG5 can be offered in a firmware update. Would they offer it though ? As there are licence issues surely ?

Enginneers/Sevice Menu on Sony's

Having said that.......

Put it in standby mode (LED shows red)

Then input combination on your remote: [i+] (info button in upper left corner), 5 (channel button), Volume Up, Power On (green button in upper right corner). The TV should start and there should be a service menu on the screen.

Thats sounds like a game of twister

• Advertisement

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Just been looking at the 2010 Sony Bravia range and as far as i can make out, every tv will have an mpeg4 tuner suitable for Irish DTT, better late than never i think!

I been looking on Sony website and I failed to see this on the specification
    all I see it stated clearly is MPEG2

Advertisement