Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

Verso wrote: »
    Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been dealt with before but I could not find anything.

I was looking at a 22 inch Samsung in PowerCity with MPEG4 technology. As it is important that I can also receive MPEG2 transmissions I was advised that sets with MPEG4 could not receive the UK DTT.

I am probably wrong here but I thought that MPEG4 included MPEG2 technology.

Comments anyone?.

Whoever told you that was wrong, it will work with UK DTT, the MPEG4 sets are backwards compatible, I have 2 of them and can pick up both UK and RTE DTT

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Verso

That's what I thought myself that MPEG4 is backwards compatible.

However I am only an amateur in these things.

Many thanks, Finne1993.

I know there are differing reports on here as regards the Panasonics and MPEG4 compatibility, I'd just like to note it seems its only on the freesat and Irish spec models that there are problems, if you get a french (TNT HD) or european version and you can't go wrong, only downside is on some of the models there is no MHEG5 for the digital text but apart from that they're the business, there are numerous ones out there.
    I myself bought a 32" TX-LF32X10 as I mentioned earlier in the thread, its perfect but I'm after coming across a 42" MPEG4 Panasonic plasma (TX-P42C10Y) for €499 on pixmania, now that is some deal, most will tell you its hard to beat the picture on a Panasonic Plasma.
    I have a 42" Samsung B430 and its fine for RTE DTT and Sky HD but for DVD and Analogue pictures the Panasonic is miles better.
    Apologies if this set has already been noted, I'm just after seeing it and thought it might interest a few people.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2851139/art/panasonic/tx-p42c10y-plasma-screen.html#tech-specs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

So the Panasonic TX-P42V10B I bought last week does not have this MPEG4 decoder?

Don't really know to be honest, have you tried tuning in the RTE DTT tests? Have you an aerial set up in your house?

Here are the specs of your TV,
    http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/VIERA+Flat+Screen+Televisions/NeoPDP+TVs/TX-P42V10/Specification/2345492/index.html
    According to this your TV has no MPEG4 tuner but it actually has, its just that the set up of it mighten allow the TV to tune in RTE DTT, problems with service types etc, its covered extensively on other threads here, one of these is this one:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055542668
    Some interesting reading in it.

This is the link to the TX-P42C10Y and if you look at the tuner specs it clearly says H.264 (another term for MPEG4) and there is no mention of this on the tuner specs of the TX-P42V10B as its the UK model.

http://www.panasonic.fr/html/fr_FR/Produits/Ecrans+Plats+Viera/Ecrans+Plasma/TX-P42C10Y/Caract%C3%A9ristiques/2213981/index.html

• Advertisement

Finne1993 wrote: »
    Don't really know to be honest, have you tried tuning in the RTE DTT tests? Have you an aerial set up in your house?

Here are the specs of your TV,
    http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/VIERA+Flat+Screen+Televisions/NeoPDP+TVs/TX-P42V10/Specification/2345492/index.html
    According to this your TV has no MPEG4 tuner but it actually has, its just that the set up of it mighten allow the TV to tune in RTE DTT, problems with service types etc, its covered extensively on other threads here, one of these is this one:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055542668
    Some interesting reading in it.

This is the link to the TX-P42C10Y and if you look at the tuner specs it clearly says H.264 (another term for MPEG4) and there is no mention of this on the tuner specs of the TX-P42V10B as its the UK model.

http://www.panasonic.fr/html/fr_FR/Produits/Ecrans+Plats+Viera/Ecrans+Plasma/TX-P42C10Y/Caract%C3%A9ristiques/2213981/index.html

Thanks for that.

I have Sky HD and Freesat set up with this TV, but would like to know if I could get free to air Irish TV. I'm in Louth also. Would I need to mount an external aerial, pointed in a certain direction? As I live in a basement apartment, I have found that normal rabbits ears cannot get me any signal whatsoever, no matter what direction I point them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dmm10000

gebbel wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

I have Sky HD and Freesat set up with this TV, but would like to know if I could get free to air Irish TV. I'm in Louth also. Would I need to mount an external aerial, pointed in a certain direction? As I live in a basement apartment, I have found that normal rabbits ears cannot get me any signal whatsoever, no matter what direction I point them.

preferably external high mounted aerial pointed towards Clermont Carn ;)
    see here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055527334

Thanks for that.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here but if you have Sky HD and intend keeping it there was no need to get that spec of a tv as you've all the Freesat channels on your Sky HD box anyway. Also you've got your Irish stations through Sky so no need for an Aerial unless you're looking to run a different independent TV in your apartment.
    Depending on your location more than likely you'll have to mount an external aerial facing towards Clermont Carn (Just north of Dundalk) or to Three Rock in Dublin. (The latter would probably need a masthead amplifier)
    I get my RTE DTT from Three rock as I live in Cooley/Carlingford and the Cooley mountains block the Clermont Carn mast from me.
    Where exactly in Louth are you anyway?

Finne1993 wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here but if you have Sky HD and intend keeping it there was no need to get that spec of a tv as you've all the Freesat channels on your Sky HD box anyway.

I originally only had Sky+. Then I ran an extra cable from the dish to get freesat when I bought a freesat enabled LCD 6 months ago (to avail of BBC HD and ITV HD). A couple of months later I had Sky HD installed, but funnily prefer watching some SD channels through freesat rather than the HD box..picture quality seems slightly better (through my eyes anyway!). Also I pay €80/ month to Sky and if my job started to look dodgy, Sky would be the 1st thing out the door.
    I get my RTE DTT from Three rock as I live in Cooley/Carlingford and the Cooley mountains block the Clermont Carn mast from me.
    Where exactly in Louth are you anyway?

Drogheda. My concern is I live in a ground floor apartment facing south. We are in a hollow looking across the river Boyne (very near the Boyne M1 bridge), so if a direct line of sight is required to either transmitter, I may be in trouble.

Drogheda. My concern is I live in a ground floor apartment facing south. We are in a hollow looking across the river Boyne (very near the Boyne M1 bridge), so if a direct line of sight is required to either transmitter, I may be in trouble.

To be honest I don't know if you'll get reception there but you don't actually need a clear line of sight as such as the signal travels in waves but if a large obstruction is close by then you're in trouble, best to have a look around at other houses beside you and see in what direction the aerials are pointing and maybe ask some of the neighbours what their pictures are like. Rabbits ears are definitely out of the question though.

Maybe someone else reading this from the Drogheda area might be able to help? anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Denethor

Seen an LG 42 PQ2000 in Harvey Norman today had TNT HD on the front but the sales person said it isn't Mpeg 4 that they get LG supplied through the UK and it won't work with Irish DTT, anyone have any advise retailing at 579 euro very tempted, any thought, thought TNT HD was good enough for Irish DTT?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭aldente

Denethor wrote: »
    Seen an LG 42 PQ2000 in Harvey Norman today had TNT HD on the front but the sales person said it isn't Mpeg 4 that they get LG supplied through the UK and it won't work with Irish DTT, anyone have any advise retailing at 579 euro very tempted, any thought, thought TNT HD was good enough for Irish DTT?

Most AV products are supplied through the UK as we know, but that fact does not necessarily mean all TVs coming from the UK are not good for the Irish DTT. Sony for example has both MPEG2 and MPEG4 built in but it does not mention it in marketing. Panasonic on the other hand has a separate range specifically for the Irish market shown on their website.

Sorry, LG is not my cup of tea. Just google for the model, and look through the pdf manual if available there. If the specification states H.264/MPEG-4 AVC MP/HP@L4 for video system, it can receive Irish DTT. If it does not, better to avoid it if you are interested in Irish DTT.

For any AV products, I would suggest doing some research on websites beforehand.
    There are also many good posts from Boardies.

It costs nothing to do a bit of research pre-purchase but would save money and avoid disappointment you might have otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Denethor

Thanks for the reply aldente

Well I bought the LG 42PQ2000 and yes its brining in the DTT test, spoke with a different salesperson today and he confirmed that the TV was Mpeg4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

No surprises there really, many Irish retailers and sales-people dont have a clue regarding DTT. I would have though though, that the fall in in sales would have made them do some studying but clearly not:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Scottish paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,521 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Information previously posted here.

The EU consultation closed in early Sept. There were three Irish responses to the consultation from ComReg, Department of Communications and RTÉ - RTÉNL.

The consultation is part of the Digital Dividend project to free up UHF broadcast spectrum (Channels 61-69) for mobile services.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Lads looking at Panasonic Plasmas and just wondering if the Viera 50" Plasma TV TX-P50V10E which lists an MPEG4 decode will work with Irish DTT, I've checked with Panasonic but kind of got the brush off from the guy who answered the phone, the manual can be found here http://dlc.panasonic-europe-service.com/EUDocs/GetDoc.aspx?did=172499&fmt=PDF&lang=en&src=3&uilang=en-GB&model=TXP50V10E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Lads looking at Panasonic Plasmas and just wondering if the Viera 50" Plasma TV TX-P50V10E which lists an MPEG4 decode will work with Irish DTT, I've checked with Panasonic but kind of got the brush off from the guy who answered the phone, the manual can be found here http://dlc.panasonic-europe-service.com/EUDocs/GetDoc.aspx?did=172499&fmt=PDF&lang=en&src=3&uilang=en-GB&model=TXP50V10E

Ha - thats nothing compared with after sales stories I have read here.

Given Panasonic have so many profile lockdowns I'd stay away. The DVB-S tuner on that will not allow you watch ITV HD for example as the VPID is locked down! And it doesnt come with the Freesat menu (red button etc) And god knows how the DVB-T receiver behaves - If its Europe profile I bet they have the MHEG5 switched off -if its UK profile then it wont work as they dont define all the service types ie 0x16 that are broadcast for Irish DTT.

The only trouble free actually working in the wild Combo TV with DVB-S/DVB-T that also works with Irish DTT (with all the service types defined) is the LG LF7700 series. It is Full HD and has a built in Freesat menu (red button etc - full epg rather than now next). Its a bargain at £599 STG at the moment for the 47" (£300 OFF).

http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/lg/47lf7700/lg-47lf77starstar

If you go over to the Richer Sounds part of this forum they will ship it from NI to the Phillips Shop at minimal cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Thanks but prefer my main TV to be a Panasonic Plasma and Richer Don't seem to stock the 50" V10

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

The V10B for the UK is not working with irish DTT. There is a problem with the channel scan and the service type.
    The V10E for europe is working with irish DTT but there is no mheg5 support and no UK freesat support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭championc

With Preseli complete, I just wonder how good is the strength of the digital signal compared to that of the Analog one. I believe that Digital is better despite the fact that it only uses about 10% of the electricity power of the Analog transmitter.

Any comments ?

Cormac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 irishpete

I gather from the postings this tv is a mpeg2.I tuned it in y,day got the channels,sound,epg,no picture.Am i right that you can get a cam for this tv.If so,what is this,where does it go?.Not very tecchie i,m afraid:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MustangMick

maxg wrote: »
    The V10B for the UK is not working with irish DTT. There is a problem with the channel scan and the service type.
    The V10E for europe is working with irish DTT but there is no mheg5 support and no UK freesat support.

Panasonic P42G10B working on Irish DTT in Dundalk this week. Did a rescan and channels are all there.

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

So have they gone back to Mpeg 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭steveq

John Dough wrote: »
    So have they gone back to Mpeg 2?

They haven't, and I'm sure won't go back to Mpeg 2. The UK and others seem to be moving to Mpeg4.

Panasonic had a problem interpreting Service Types. RTENL seem to be alternating between a strictly speaking correct Service Type and a bland standard Service Type (that the Panasonic can interpret). They are currently transmitting the standard Service Type.

The problem is only encountered when tuning and once the TV is tuned it works perfectly.

I understand that the very latest models have got this sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Rick_

Sorry to jump in, just a quick question.

I am looking to get a 22"-26" for the kitchen wall and wondered if there were any LCD's in this size range that would have MPEG4 tuners in them already? I think someone mentioned a Samsung they saw a while ago but didn't mention a model number.

Any help guys? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

steveq wrote: »

I understand that the very latest models have got this sorted.

Interesting......any evidence for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

peking97 wrote: »
    Interesting......any evidence for this?

There is evidence to the contrary.

The initial Freesat/DTT Pansis (LZD81 and THPZ81) have MPEG4 hardware but the service types are not fully defined. Hence they will not display a MPEG4 station unlkess previously scanned prior to 0x16 being broadcast (its back to 0x1 from time to time).

Same was carried over to G10 series. That means they dont have the full service list defined for the DVB-T tuner either.

The only pani's that do work are the E meant for Europe, but they dont have MHEG5 support or a freesat tuner.

The panis are locked down to country profile rather than dvb standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

So then the G10E has mpeg4 tuner but no mheg5 text
    the G10B has mpeg2 and Freesat built-in but no mpeg4 or mheg5 text
    the G10L has mpeg4 tuner but no built-in Freesat and possibly no mheg5 text:confused:
    All in all a totally unsatisfactory situation.
    Anyone know of a set (preferably Plasma) which has all three features?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,521 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I was browsing thru the EPG on my (May 2008) Sony KDL-26V4500 this evening and I noticed that the programme information for TG4 and Raidió na Gaeltachta is being displayed correctly for the first time fadas and all. Previously the fadas displayed as gobbledegook.

All I need now is for MHEG-5 Digital Text to work with the Ireland setting.

Advertisement