Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung 23" 1080p HD Monitor with MPEG4 Digital TV Tuner - €206 delivered [Amazon]

Options
  • 21-03-2010 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,843 ✭✭✭✭

TV Tuner obviously not much use here.. but €206 (down from a RRP is £310) for a 23" 1080P Samsung Monitor.

(and yes, I have checked and Amazon will deliver it here!)

41H5JR01o6L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    Buy it @ Amazon
    Product Features

* Dynamic Contrast 10000:1 for Vivid Colours
    * Built-in Digital TV Tuner Picks Up Freeview
    * Innovative Power Saving Facility Saves Energy and Money
    * 2 x HDMI Sockets Connect to your Camcorder, Blu-Ray Player or Games Console
    * Colour Effect Function Lets You Add Tints to Viewed Photos

Technical Details

Screen Size: 23" Widescreen
    Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Brightness: 300 cd/㎡
    Contrast Ratio: DC 10000:1 (1000:1) (Typ.)
    Response Time: 5ms
    Viewing Angle (Horizontal/Vertical): 160˚/160˚ (CR>10)
    Colour supported: 16.7M
    Video Signal Input: Analog RGB, DVI, HDMI, Component , TV (Digital TV / Analog TV)
    Sync. Signal Input: Separate H/V, Composite
    Connector: 15pin D-sub, DVI-D, 2HDMI, Component, DTV Tuner, Optical Out, Scart, CI Slot
    Power Consumption: 55 watts
    Standby Power (DPMS): <2 watts
    Plug & Play: DDC2B
    Multimedia Speakers: 3 watts x 2 Ch
    Optional Accessories: Remote Controller, D-Sub Cable
    Special Features: Built-in DTV (DVB-T) Tuner, Component, 2 HDMI, CI Slot, Full HD
    USB powered hub option: No
    Mac compatibility: Yes
    Wall-Mount: VESA 100mm
    Cabinet Colour: High Glossy Black
    Product Dimension (With stand, WxHxD): 558 x 415 x 219mm
    Product Dimension (Without Stand, WxHxD): 558 x 364 x 74mm
    Shipment Dimension (WxHxD): 631 x 434 x 141mm
    Product Weight: 6.1kg
    Shipment Weight: 7.95kg
    Stand Function: Tilt
    Type: Simple

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Decent value alright but i'm not sure i doubt if its digital tuner is mpeg4 and it would have to be to pick up our DTT here. I doubt it has one because it seems a fairly old product, says it was first listed in January 09. Still good value otherwise though, i'll do a bit of looking to see if its mpeg4 or not...

Good news, apparently it does have an mpeg 4 tuner after all, see this post from the terrestrial forum, its on that list

This one is well worth considering now alright..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

A number of french sites mention "Tuner TNT HD" which does suggest it is MPEG4 enabled e.g.
    http://www.topachat.com/pages/detail2_cat_est_tv-home-cinema_puis_rubrique_est_wh_tvlcd_puis_ref_est_hf10017160.html

• Registered Users Posts: 43,843 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Good news, apparently it does have an mpeg 4 tuner after all, see this post from the terrestrial forum, its on that list
    Ah.. that is good news!

I didn't think it had an MPEG4 tuner, so I'll append that to the title.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

amazon prices seem to be a bit yo yo at the minute, this Sammy 24" was £175 ~ €194 last week but gone way up today, perhaps one to keep your eye on as I got it and it spiffy

31G2HOaBKDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

Before you amend the title, and having looked through more of the sites, some list it as TNT HD but others don't. It's a little inconsistent, so until someone finds the link to a Samsung manual confirming the specs, it's still a case of caveat emptor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Apogee wrote: »
    Before you amend the title, and having looked through more of the sites, some list it as TNT HD but others don't. It's a little inconsistent, so until someone finds the link to a Samsung manual confirming the specs, it's still a case of caveat emptor!
    User Manual (4.3MB)

.. but I couldn't see if any specifics about the Tuner in it!

slave1 wrote: »
    amazon prices seem to be a bit yo yo at the minute, this Sammy 24" was £175 ~ €194 last week but gone way up today, perhaps one to keep your eye on as I got it and it spiffy

31G2HOaBKDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

To be fair, that one you've listed is'nt sold by amazon themselves so i doubt they'd ship over here anyway
    Apogee wrote: »

Yea, there not so long ago i was looking at a different model samsung and there was some confusion over whether it did or not, and i gathered in the end that it ones manufactured after a certain date would have an mpeg4 tuner. That combined with the fact that this one is still on sale well over a year after it became available tells me that in all likelihood it does have an mpeg4 tuner

Zonda999 wrote: »
    To be fair, that one you've listed is'nt sold by amazon themselves so i doubt they'd ship over here anyway
    Quick tip at Amazon..

.. ALWAYS check under 'More Buying Choices'

;)

Was sold by A last week as I bought one, hence A's yo yo on pricing and shipping

• Advertisement

basquille wrote: »

Thats also a pretty good deal i guess, now that its in the thread. If you're not going to be making any use of the mpeg4 tuner, that definitely the better buy

ah, I see, nice one Bas, easily missed
    yeah, great monitor, only negative is its default factory setting is AV which makes the likes of font hard to view so you need to change it to PC
    I ordered Sunday, received Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭colferma

Sorry for the dumb question, but what's the difference between a monitor with a TV tuner and a TV? Would there be ports on both to plug into, say, an NTL TV connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

colferma wrote: »
    Sorry for the dumb question, but what's the difference between a monitor with a TV tuner and a TV? Would there be ports on both to plug into, say, an NTL TV connection?

yes, there is no difference.

Maybe the viewing angles with some

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Thanks for this, just ordered one! Great bargain :D

For infos, those who dont care about the Tuner can get the 24inch for almost same price (£174.99) HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

I wish I was in the market for a telly! :(

P.S. I don't think that 24" one has speakers. Could be wrong though.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

How come they're delivering this and not TVs in general?

jayteecork wrote: »
    How come they're delivering this and not TVs in general?
    The weight factor I reckon..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

receives bad reviews on Amazon for the speakers. This ties in with my experience of Samsung Monitor speakers - same wattage as Samsung TV's (for same size screen) but crap quality/volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

Currently after a new LCD.

Could any tell me which would be the better set out of these and the one in the op?

Cheers

Samsung P2270HD
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-P2270HD-22-inch-Widescreen-1920x1080/dp/B002DPSKDO

LG M22WDP
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-M227WDP-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B001NEI7E8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269277992&sr=8-1

• Advertisement

I don't think that 24" one has speakers
    It does not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

colferma wrote: »

similarly confused. so what will the mpeg4 tuner decode? Will it do ntl digital directly out of the wall of will it need to take it from the ntl box? Will it do ntl\bog channel analogue?

i was thinking of getting this phillips 23" 1080p monitor (£160 +del) without mpeg4 tuner before this thread, still might...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Nollog

mpeg4 is the standard of HD television RTE will be using.
    It's probably another 12 years off.

/\/ollog wrote: »

Not just HD but all digital terrestrial tv wil be mpeg4, and who knows, it may launch officially in the next year. There are unofficial tests being carried out all over the country at the moment though, have a look over on the terestrial forum, many boardsies are already using them for tv

And on the HD thing, once DTT is actually up and running, it would be relatively simple for RTE to show certain events in HD so just maybe, it'll be sooner than 12 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

/\/ollog wrote: »

Its on right now with 5 channels + EPG :P

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭CraigSmith

I have the first samsung tv, its pretty decent to be honest. Brilliant HD on it, the side sockets are really handy for cameras and headphones. Well worth it at this price, got mine for 300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

Will this work as an external monitor for a MacBook laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭CraigSmith

yeah it should do, think it has a dvi port with the vga port on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Nollog

I bought it last night.
    Being sent on the 25th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I posted a warning earlier on my experience with the sound on Samsung Syncmasters - basically crap - but it doesn't seem to have put anyone off here. Maybe people feel different about this model.

For info though - there are 11 reviews on Amazon on this model.

There were 3 "sort of" positive comments on sound:

1. "takes a while to get the sound right once set up its perfect"

2. "I dont see why people complain about the sound most tvs are like this and 90% people have some sort of external speakers anyway."

3. "Sound quality is good, although you do seem to have to have the volume set loud"

There are 6 negatives:

1. "Bad points- The speakers are the worst, I can honestly say, I have ever come across, they sound like a demented bee in a bean tin"

2. "Sound is poor, though so beware if this matters to you."

3. "am disappointed with the sound which sounds as if is is in an empty room - and lacks clarity."

4. "only gripe is audio level (poor speakers)"

5. "As to the Sound quality - well it's a Samsung - and as an owner of a Samsung TV and a previous owner of both Panasonic and Sony LCD TVs - I can say that Samsung do not 'do' sound very well compared to the more expensive brands. "

6. "On the negative side: The sound is very tinny. I was expecting this of course, having read other reviews. Adjusting the graphic equaliser doesn't help - any more bass and you get distortion or buzzing. These are tiny tiny speakers of course. Don't expect too much!"

My Syncmaster (now given away) reduced me to tears everytime I had it on at full volume to hear the news.

My current Samsung (LE19b450 with Irish DTT) has far better sound.

Advertisement