Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q + A with El Stuntman

Options
  • 26-03-2008 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,135 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

biggest weakness in your own game?
    biggest strength?
    4 live players you dont want sitting to your immediate left?
    4 players you would walk a mile barefoot in snow to play poker with?
    Favourite wines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭coillcam

Wow, that was quick, lol.

Cheers for doing this Glynn.

What are your biggest achievements in life and in poker?

Any unfulfilled poker aspirations?

Can you think of the most satisfying moment you've had facing the chief?

What is your dream and dreaded WSOP ME FT lineups including yourself of course?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If you didn't agree to this ElStuntdude let me know and I will lock it. Alternatively you could go along with it, would be enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I always thought you were a young teeny bopper student?

Is it true you're an actual real person with a job house/wife/kid?

What's the most important lesson you have learned from other peoples Q & A's?

What's the best bit of advice you have read on boards?

Favorite hand?

Heads up for rolls hj or rooney dives?

Do you smoke dope?

Are you really a stuntman?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

Favourite Hunter S Thompson book?

When you write stuff you you pre plan, or is it stream of consciousness stuff?

Who'd win in a fight between you and BCB?

Would you be more offended by being called a goober or a rube? (you're not allowed look them up before answering)

If the chief worked out the odds of hitting his weaker kicker after the turn has been dealt, would the world end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,135 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

What do you work as?
    Whats your biggest winning session live/online?
    Do you get more enjoyment from cash or tournaments?
    Whats the the best tip you have for playing live cash in the SE?
    Whats the most common mistake you see being made by players there?
    Are you ever going to stop being ratty over the A7 hand?!!

Thanks and enjoy the well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭smurph

Yepeee, good luck in the well.

Few questions
    (1) best Poker moment

(2) Worst poker moment (warts and all)

(3) funniest comment you've heard at the poker table

(4) What's the biggest live tell you notice in players, betting patterns, twitch etc., etc.,

(5) Which do you prefer Tournaments or Live cash and why

(6) Where do you see yourself in 2 years (poker wise)

(7) Have you met any people through poker that you would call "good friends"

(8) Can you still enjoy the christmas relations card games?

(9) you have a real natural ability for writing (I would rate your blog as the best ive read), have you ever thought of trying to get stuff published?

(10) Would you like your children to play cards?

(11) Top 3 nice wines (white) please?

(12) Top 3 restaurants in Dublin.

(13) nicest country you've ever visited.

Nice one Lloyd, it's been a while since we sweated someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

This is going to be great.....

My first batch of questions. :D

1. You've been a consistent winner online at medium stakes but have always stopped playing. Have you put you finger on the reasons why?

2. Poker is about having fun or making money. Discuss

3. What big event do you plan on playing?

4. Tournies versus cash. What blows up your skirt?

5. Best investment you ever made.

6. Fatherhood. Has it been as expected and has it changed you outlook on life?

7. What's the best meal you ever had?

8. One place you recommend seeing before you die.

9. What is the best bit of advice on life you ever got

10. What one change would you like to see on the live poker scene?

Cheers for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭coillcam

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    :( Why do you not believe me?

Lloyd for Mod !!

*Hides under chair*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

Bowing to cheers from the rabble, El S has graciously agreed to answer a few questions.

Glyn Murphy authors a popular blog and can be found stumbling into the sporting emporium half cut for some late night cash at least once a week.

lol, how did I get into the Hendon Mob db? :confused:

I'm actually playing sober atm (although I do look locked in that picture :pac:) and driving in to play

The blog is so popular that I received an offer of 72 million dollars for it!
    1) What games are you currently playing? Levels?

the 1/2/5 pot limit or no limit games in the SE generally. I only play once or twice a week. I'm trying to qualify for the cash league for the first time ever, God knows why (but it's a good excuse to explain to Mrs S why I 'have' to go and play ;))

I'll play the occasional live donkament for kicks and enjoy burning money in live satellites (I have NEVER won a ticket in one although I have won a few online :()

I haven't played online at all in March. Played a small bit in Feb and Jan but have kinda lost interest in it. Plus it's rigged....
    2) Are you running well or badly in the last month or two?

I'm running good (12 winning live cash sessions out of 13 this year and up in donkaments too). Only loser is them damn satellites!

I am definitely running lucky as well though which helps. ollyk1 will confirm this!

Up a few hundred in my small bit of internet play this year.
    3) Live or online, why?

Live. The standard is much, much worse than online, certainly for cash play. Tournament players suck in all forms! As I get better (debatable I know), I'm placing a lot more stock in tells as well which obviously doesn't apply to online play. As a recreational player, the social side of the game also appeals to me - you do meet some very interesting people over the felt....

I spend most of my working day looking at a battery of monitors so have no interest in sitting in front of a PC at home as well. As a poker traditionalist at heart, I also feel that the array of 'tools' that the pros bring to the online game (PT,PAHUD, fish finders etc) is a subtle form of cheating. The only tools you bring to the poker table should be the ones in your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Best book you ever read?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

Stunty,,good man...

Say something subliminal for me please.. (and not the words Subliminal.)

Have you ever jumped off the wardrobe with the music of the six million dollar man in your head?

Best kiddie street game ever.........(not kick the can)

Whats the drunkest you've ever been and what did you get up to? (stuntbaby?)

If god appeared to you via a burning bush and told you to sacrifice your only son to him, would you stop drinking wine and smoking blow?

If it were allowed for you to spend the night with any woman in the world other than Mrs Stunt...who would it be? (Keep away from Britney that looney is mine)

Going to any of the big concerts this year..Niel Young etc.....

Do you have Donal Norton in your crosshairs for the SE cash games for the enxt 6 months?

Apart from myself, who is the most irritating player you have played agianst and WHY ...

Would you sell any of your relatives to the arabs for a million euros ?

a comet is heading towards earth, it will hit Sunday just after 12.30 Mass in Clontarf, the world will be destroyed. WHO WILL SAVE US NOW?

top 5 albums!

Hockey? Do you not consider that a bit of a gay game?

biggest weakness in your own game?

insufficient aggression, especially in tournaments
    biggest strength?

discipline and patience (most of the time anyway), I rarely tilt anymore

being a total and utter luckbox!!
    4 live players you dont want sitting to your immediate left?

Halfbaked
    John Swarbrigg
    Jayminator
    you (when you're playing well ;))
    4 players you would walk a mile barefoot in snow to play poker with?

The Chief
    Murat
    That crazy dude who was playing in the NL game before Xmas and buying in for about 3k a time - Shane somebody?
    YULETIRED (for entertainment value, not value)
    Favourite wines?

This is the kind of question I was hoping for!

whites: Albarino (Galician, very good with seafood), Garganega (Italian), Riesling. If I have the money, a classic white Bordeaux cannot be beat - Graves is the best.

reds: Southern Rhone reds (Gigondas, Vacqueyras, Chateauneuf du Pape), Vino Nobile di Montepulciano is lovely. Again, if I have the money, Bordeaux reds - either Margaux for big meaty dishes or St Emilion for more subtle stuff.

I drink very little New World wine as the stuff we get here tends to be very second rate. Having said that, I travel to South Africa quite often and they make some lovely stuff - Pinotage, Shiraz, Chardonnay etc - but it doesn't seem to be exported to here

I spend quite a bit of my poker winnings on wine (no, I'm not an alco - I think). These guys are without doubt the best retailers in the country

coillcam wrote: »
    What are your biggest achievements in life and in poker?

life; being a good (I hope) husband and father. You can all get sick now.

poker: being a winning player despite being rubbish. I haven't had any big donkament scores which is usually how people measure poker success.
    Any unfulfilled poker aspirations?

well, I blew over a grand on IO sats so it's obviously an ambition to play in a 'Big One'. Once I get in, who knows?

I have no ambition to make a living from poker. I think it's a lonely way of life.
    Can you think of the most satisfying moment you've had facing the chief?

snap-calling a €300 all-in turn bet with top pair, no kicker and being good for a 1k pot
    What is your dream and dreaded WSOP ME FT lineups including yourself of course?

I'll get back to you on that. Would have to include Doyle Brunson, I'd need to viciously dog Hellmuth as well...

ntlbell wrote: »
    I always thought you were a young teeny bopper student?

well, that's your problem. I'm an old fcuker like you
    Is it true you're an actual real person with a job house/wife/kid?

most people are 'actual real'. What's wrong with you?
    What's the most important lesson you have learned from other peoples Q & A's?

deVore's was excellent, I can't remember any specific lesson but he has a very good attitude to life
    What's the best bit of advice you have read on boards?

don't go all-in with pocket twos against Jamie Gold
    Favorite hand?

JT soooooted
    Heads up for rolls hj or rooney dives?

I like HJ so RD (don't know him)
    Do you smoke dope?

not any more ;)
    Are you really a stuntman?

Yes, yes I am

Favourite Hunter S Thompson book?

The Rum Diaries
    When you write stuff you you pre plan, or is it stream of consciousness stuff?

I presume you mean stories now? usually I have half an idea in my head as i sit down and then they kind of come together when I start tapping the keys
    Who'd win in a fight between you and BCB?

BCB would of course, he's from Offaly ffs!
    Would you be more offended by being called a goober or a rube? (you're not allowed look them up before answering)

a goober
    f the chief worked out the odds of hitting his weaker kicker after the turn has been dealt, would the world end?

no but some of the SE regular's worlds might!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

Some more since a lot of my original questions have already been answered.

1. Whats your favorite forum on boards outside of poker?

2. What posters do you watch out for and read on Boards or do you just read everything?

3. Who do you fancy for the Irish rugby coach?

4. Have you ever been shocked by behaviour at a cash table? Somebody going south, tilting or being abusive etc etc.

5. Gouging drunk players for all their monies. Any qualms of conscience?

6. Best blog yours or Rounders circa 2005/2006? :p

7. Tilt. Do you really think you've cured tilt from your game or is it just easier when you run good? Or is it normally a case of external factors being the primary influence in any event?

eoghan104 wrote: »
    What do you work as?

I work in business development for a South African investment bank (can't say which one)
    Whats your biggest winning session live/online?

about 2k for live

probably about the same online. No wait, probably about 3k...
    Do you get more enjoyment from cash or tournaments?

tournaments are more fun but if I want to play seriously, I'll play cash
    Whats the the best tip you have for playing live cash in the SE?

keep the game friendly

in all seriousness, this is key to a profitable game particularly when newbies wander in. It always amazes me when I see regulars blow up at new players (I'm sure I've done it myself :mad:)
    Whats the most common mistake you see being made by players there?

see above
    Are you ever going to stop being ratty over the A7 hand?!!

no, never. You fish!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

:pac:

smurph wrote: »
    (1) best Poker moment

Rivering a royal flush in 7-card stud to beat my then flatmate's slow-played Aces full for the biggest pot I had ever played in my life up to that point. Was about 6 years ago.
    (2) Worst poker moment (warts and all)

Tilting off about fifteen buy-ins one night online. Jesus, there were waiting lists from here to Tokyo to get on my tables!
    (3) funniest comment you've heard at the poker table

not particularly subtle but this one stuck in my mind. The turn is being dealt with all the loot having gone in on the flop. Villain 2 has been dogged several times already by villain 1 (think it was Mick the Lip, sucking out as per usual)

Villain 1: "you're ahead"

Villain 2: "yeah, and you're a cnut"

I laughed anyway
    (4) What's the biggest live tell you notice in players, betting patterns, twitch etc., etc.,

speech - some people invariably jibber-jabber when they pick up a monster and likewise go quiet when they are bluffing. and vice versa...
    (5) Which do you prefer Tournaments or Live cash and why

think I answered this already
    (6) Where do you see yourself in 2 years (poker wise)

much the same I'm sure, I don't really have any poker ambitions as such apart from playing in the odd big buy-in tournament. I'll still be playing (barring unforseen circumstances)
    (7) Have you met any people through poker that you would call "good friends"

Interesting question.

I've met a lot of very sound people that I am always very happy to see at my table, that I consider to be good fun and that I'll always enjoy having a beer with and shooting the breeze with. That would include quite a few Boardsies. On occasion, I will leave a profitable but boring PL table and go and play in the NL game if some of these individuals are there as I know I'll have more fun there.

Do I ever meet up with these people outside the hermetically sealed world of poker? No. Make of that what you will, I think it means they probably aren't 'good friends'. They probably could become so but this would involve a big leap from the artifical world of poker out into the real world with spouses/girlfriends etc etc. Interesting, wonder what other Boardsies thoughts are on this?
    (8) Can you still enjoy the christmas relations card games?

a game kicked off a few Christmases ago with my brother, my father, my now brother-in-law and me. My Dad's now dead but we still try and play the game (together with a rake of beers) and it's very enjoyable....

I don't really have a poker snobbery thing going though, I'll play any game that's going, in the spirit that it's going
    (9) you have a real natural ability for writing (I would rate your blog as the best ive read), have you ever thought of trying to get stuff published?

Thanks but no, I haven't. I did get an offer to publish on a site but turned it down.
    (10) Would you like your children to play cards?

yes, of course, it's a great game. I would try and educate them as to the potential pitfalls and the dark side of the game.
    (11) Top 3 nice wines (white) please?

see my reply to BCB.
    (12) Top 3 restaurants in Dublin.

L'Guelton is my favourite; just really good, classic French bistro grub

Baan Thai for Asian; I know BCB will second this

The Oar House in Howth for seafood: inexpensive, friendly and really good fish!
    (13) nicest country you've ever visited.

it depends what you're looking for I suppose

New Zealand probably

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

Will you take a race for all your chips on the first level of a tournament like the Irish open Yes No?
    One ticket two gigs - Tom Waits or Leonard Cohen?
    Ian M Banks or Philip K Dick?
    Kinky Friedman didn't become Governor of Texas - Disappointed or Relieved?
    Python or Ruby?
    Apples or Oranges ?
    KJs or A10o ?
    Coen Bros or PT Anderson?
    Van or Jim Morrison?
    Jason or Peter Robinson?
    Jamie Gold or Rain Khan?
    Stienbeck or Hemmingway?
    Jo'burg or Capetown?
    Scientology or Islam?
    London or Paris?
    You win a big tournament and are offered a 2 year contract that means giving up your career and being on the road 10 months of the year playing tournaments. Accept Decline?

ollyk1 wrote: »
    1. You've been a consistent winner online at medium stakes but have always stopped playing. Have you put you finger on the reasons why?

It's easy; online just isn't much fun. Making money online is all about putting in a huge volume of hands, I just currently don't have the inclination to do this.
    2. Poker is about having fun or making money. Discuss

Hopefully it's both! It's entirely a personal thing: some people may consider it a great year if they qualify for the WSOP, the IO and an EPT but overall lose 10k in the year. They may consider the experience to be worth the 10k and who's to say they're wrong? Other people may be happy to nit it up at .25/.50 online and make 10k for the year in a more or less risk-free way, again who am I to judge? Many more are degenerate gambling addicts who are just feeding their addiction and it's not about either fun or money....
    3. What big event do you plan on playing?

I would never pay more than 500 into a tournament (unless I came into a lot of money), I don't have any edge in big money games and am almost certainly -EV in them. Hence if I do play a big event, it'll be via satellite so next target is probably an EPT or something. I haven't really thought about it.
    4. Tournies versus cash. What blows up your skirt?

see earlier reply
    5. Best investment you ever made.

I bought 3k of Iona shares, a few days after 9/11 and sold them for just under 20k. Then I lost most of it buying back into them again :eek:
    6. Fatherhood. Has it been as expected and has it changed you outlook on life?

I don't think anyone, least of all men, knows what to expect from fatherhood. The best you can hope for is to make it up as you go along! Learn the phrase "ask your mother" and repeat ad nauseum...

One thing it does give you is immense respect for your own parents, it also totally recentres your outlook on life i.e. away from yourself at the centre and onto your child (translates as: used to be a selfish bollix, now just a bollix :rolleyes:)
    7. What's the best meal you ever had?

a meal in a farmhouse in the Basque countryside. Myself and Mrs S were the only paying guests and we wandered into the restaraunt bit for dinner. The lady of house appeared in a panic and very nicely said that she wasn't making restaraunt food that night but that we were welcome to eat what the family was having. She was very apologetic about this. The food was out of this world and she kept apologising through all 5 courses!

The Basques in general make the best food. San Sebastian is the best foodie town in the world by a mile. They have a bar that serves nothing but mushrooms, you wander in and the whole bar is covered in them. You just point at the ones you like the look of and they fry them up in butter with a bit of salt and serve them with fresh bread and a glass of wine or the local sidre. Sublime.

Worst food country = anywhere in Eastern Europe, closely followed by here
    8. One place you recommend seeing before you die.

Venice
    9. What is the best bit of advice on life you ever got

"You're better off without her"
    10. What one change would you like to see on the live poker scene?

for the love of God, invest in some auto-shuffle machines!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

What is your favourite late night, after boozy session, snack?

RasTa wrote: »
    Best book you ever read?

"Play Poker like the Pros" by some dude called Phil Hellmuth, it really changed my life around. Thanks Phil!

No seriously, it's hard to pick out a single book. I must have read thousands and I own well over a thousand (much to Mrs S's disgust). Anything by Haruki Murakami is usually brilliant, so different to the usual run of things, just complete escapism. This is my favourite.

I love Paul Theroux's writing also; both novels and travel writing. Equally VS Naipaul. Hemmingway's another big favourite and, of course, Dr Gonzo himself.

One of the best books I've read in recent years is 'Soldiers of Salamis' by Javier Cercas, genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭smurph

Interesting question.

I've met a lot of very sound people that I am always very happy to see at my table, that I consider to be good fun and that I'll always enjoy having a beer with and shooting the breeze with. That would include quite a few Boardsies. On occasion, I will leave a profitable but boring PL table and go and play in the NL game if some of these individuals are there as I know I'll have more fun there.

Do I ever meet up with these people outside the hermetically sealed world of poker? No. Make of that what you will, I think it means they probably aren't 'good friends'. They probably could become so but this would involve a big leap from the artifical world of poker out into the real world with spouses/girlfriends etc etc. Interesting, wonder what other Boardsies thoughts are on this?

Yeah, it's something I thought about a while back. I got to know alot of Boardsies from posting here. It has been interesting watching players "improve" over time.....

At the Irish Open I was really hoping a Boardsie would go deep, there was a real community feel going on. I was absolutely delighted for Vera Duffy getting 7th in the Ladies Event, she is a very very genuine person who has to deal with alot of pain on a daily basis....

I actually saw a guy trying to get a loan of money off her in the S.E. the other day and I found it quite upsetting to be honost.

The poker circle so to speak is a strange vacumn, but I have no doubt that there a some good friendships made from it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Good read ELstuntman.
    1 Have you ever been caught out by one of the borrowing degens who seems
    to have got cash off most regular or semi regular players in the SE?
    2.Have you ever done your brains on roulette on the way out jjbravado style?

Advertisement