Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Zune

Options
  • 20-12-2007 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the story with these? They look fairly fruity, but only seem to be available in the UK. I haven't seen an advertising campaign at all, which seems strange before Chrisitmas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

WindSock wrote: »
    Whats the story with these? They look fairly fruity, but only seem to be available in the UK. I haven't seen an advertising campaign at all, which seems strange before Chrisitmas.

Only available in the US.
    They just released the second generation of them in November.
    Very good device, I've a Zune 30gb (the 1st gen), and its excellent.
    I played with the Zune 80 last week and its a great player too, I was thinking of getting one but decided for an ipod touch (don't really need 80gb cos I use my psp for movies).

So they're worth it if you can get one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I also have a 30gb. Nice product exept for the software. My God almighty, I thought it couldn't of gotten worse than creative's software.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I read the new software was "better than itunes" (some crave bloggers words, not mine)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

creggy wrote: »
    I also have a 30gb. Nice product exept for the software. My God almighty, I thought it couldn't of gotten worse than creative's software.

creative is drag and drop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

New software is supposed to be fantastic, don't think it has been released for the older Zunes yet but I'm open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

So is it worth selling the old iPod 80GB for the new Zune? What is the video playback like?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Dman001 wrote: »
    So is it worth selling the old iPod 80GB for the new Zune? What is the video playback like?

meh, they're much of a muchness... both are crippled... the Zune sounds better and has a bigger screen but the ipod is slimmer and has longer battery life....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

is there anywhere i can pick up a zune 80gb in Dublin? failing that where would be the best place to get one online? my long serving 40gb Zen was stolen recently, what a piece of kit that was, served my for almost 6 years without ever having any problems, probably serve that scumbag for another 6 too:(

griffdaddy wrote: »
    is there anywhere i can pick up a zune 80gb in Dublin? failing that where would be the best place to get one online? my long serving 40gb Zen was stolen recently, what a piece of kit that was, served my for almost 6 years without ever having any problems, probably serve that scumbag for another 6 too:(

ebay

but the zen vision m > zune

you can buy the zen vision off creatives site for €140

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Was really interested in getting an 8GB zune as well. The reviews look great and it is thinner than the zen (I run a lot so size is quite an issue tbh) is there any reputable site to get one from rather than ebay? I presume the warranty isn't valid outside the us so you're screwed if it breaks?

• Advertisement

ebay

yeah but i want more than 60gb storage this time, there's a few things i don't like about the current creatives either, it pisses me off the way the light stays on if you don't lock the player, a few of my friends say it's a real pain and wastes the battery quickly. I also find that scroll thing to be a bit fidgety. I can get an 80gb Zune delivered for €250 from ebay, think i'll go with that. does anyone know what the sound quality is like on the Zune? my old creative sounded great and had no trouble powering my Sennheisers.

does anyone know what the sound quality is like on the Zune?

Supposed to be one of the bestest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Bro got one off ebay before Christmas, I'll get him to stick up his view when he gets a chance.

Nice piece of kit tho from what I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

can anyone recommend any ebay sellers?

yeah but i want more than 60gb storage this time, there's a few things i don't like about the current creatives either, it pisses me off the way the light stays on if you don't lock the player, a few of my friends say it's a real pain and wastes the battery quickly. I also find that scroll thing to be a bit fidgety. I can get an 80gb Zune delivered for €250 from ebay, think i'll go with that. does anyone know what the sound quality is like on the Zune? my old creative sounded great and had no trouble powering my Sennheisers.

:rolleyes:

I got mine from this guy

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZnianyue

Shipping was quick as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Love it.

Got the 80gig from ebay for chrimbo-ish.

Lovely bright screen, very easy to use, not too big, 'squircle' is a fantastic touch, doesn't get irritating.

Dont have an ac adapter so usb charging for me.

The firmware was updated automatically to 2.3, no sw update yet afaik.

Had some initial issues with synching. Fixed by removing and then plugging back in the player. Synching was grand, drag and drop to the zune icon at the bottom left in the software.

Haven't tried video yet but I have to transcode my avis to wmv to play them and I just haven't got around to doing that yet.

Audio playback is great. No equaliser on it but I'm not really missing it.

On the battery, got it fully charged when I got it but it was half charged anyway. Didn't have a problem with leaving it it standby [push and hold 'play' button].

Had to google how to actually turn it off [hold down on squircle and the back button till it shuts off]

All in all, well happy with my purchase. I only use the software to synch stuff so I've no real complaints about it. Looks very nice and easy to use. Suits me.

Unpacking pics

Nice box :P

I'm constantly tempted by the Zune, but it will not wok on Mac so I can't get it... damn MS!!! :)

:rolleyes:
    What's that look for? if you forget to lock it the back display never turns off, and that destroys the battery, it's a minor complaint, granted, but i like to have my player in my pocket with the entire library on random and just flick til i find a song i wanna listen to, i don't wanna have to take it out of my pocket and lock or unlock it every time i wanna skip a song. My complaints about the scroll interface are hardly unique to me?
    Anyway, i ordered an 80gb Zune and i'm just waiting for delivery. Does the Zune software re-encode videos if you transfer them over or do you have to use a separate app first? hopefully there'll be a way to play avi's and divx on it soon anyway, the last one was hackable to that as far as i know

Seperate app afaik.

There was an app you could use for the 360 before it got divx support that works grand for the zune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,730 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ebay

Where on the creative site, can't find it? Thanks.

Boggles wrote: »
    Where on the creative site, can't find it? Thanks.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055140698

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

kaimera wrote: »
    Seperate app afaik.

There was an app you could use for the 360 before it got divx support that works grand for the zune.

Try Super:
    http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

thanks for advice everyone. The seller i bought it from, everythingdigital4u, was great to deal with, he dispatched the Zune on Friday and it arrived just a minute ago, i'm still setting up the software but i'll give my thoughts on it after i walk around St Enda's park a few times with my dog, first impressions are good though, it certainly looks tasty.

Thank you kind sir :)

very happy with the player, only problem is the software divides up compilation albums into sections based on who the artist is, it's pretty annoying cause if i wanna play, say, a Perfect Breaks mix album, i have to manually leave each 'album' and play the next one, even though the album name is identical. anyone else had this problem?

Create a playlist :)

Stuff like that tho makes me just use it for synching music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

very happy with the player, only problem is the software divides up compilation albums into sections based on who the artist is, it's pretty annoying cause if i wanna play, say, a Perfect Breaks mix album, i have to manually leave each 'album' and play the next one, even though the album name is identical. anyone else had this problem?

Have a look at Tagscanner.

It's a free and powerful small app that will let you easily edit the
    ID tags on your music. You can just browse to the folder and batch
    edit the artist tag so it reads like "Compilation Album Name - Artist Name".
    (It's also great for using tags to change the file name and vice-versa.)
    It'll also allow you to easily add or change album art so all your songs are tagged
    with the correct album cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I got a Zune for Crimbo and must say I'm pretty impressed (though it is the first digital music playrer that I have owned). Main plus is that it has a FM radio with RDS.

Out of curiosity - how does everybody ID3 tag their various artists compilations? Do you use various artists as the artist name or the the actual artist?

• Advertisement

that tag scanner is dead handy, nice one for that.
    I love my Zune too, the sound quality is great and it has no problem powering my Sennheiser px100's. I'd love if it had a search function though, like even some of the older ipods had, surely wouldn't be that hard to implement? might see it in a future firmware

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement