Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q & A with HectorJelly

Options
  • 18-12-2006 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭

Next in line is HJ.

What levels are you currently playing online
    Are you running bad or goot?

Who is the biggest bollix on the poker forum?

Usual rules apply to questioners and questionee.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

Why stop blogging?
    Why leave Poland?
    Do you give a sh1t?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

this should be a fun one.

How long have you been playing poker?
    What games are you currently playing and how much do you play in a week?
    What are the highest stakes you've ever played and how'd that go for you?
    Has there been a major turning point in your poker career, an epiphany if you will? perhaps some moment that brought you up to that next level. or was it just a hard slog of continued study and practice :D

Did you go to college? if so what did you do (guessing mathematics of some sort) and where did you go?
    What other hobbies do you have?

How did they convince you to jump into the well? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

What do you think is the weakest part of your game?

On the same theme, what is the most common failing you see in other players?

How do you deal with a bad beat both on-line and real life (TM).

Are you the spotty little nerd I've always pictured you to be?

Have you ever considered teaching Poker in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

Do you think it's a bad idea to risk all your chips on a draw in a poker tournament, especially early in the the first few levels?

Several noted professionals have commented on how they fare better against stronger opposition. Do you find this is true for you?

Do you consider yourself a lucky player? If you think of the four or five biggest pots you've ever played in cash games -- or the most crucial points in tournaments -- have you been lucky or unlucky overall?

Do you know how to play mythical or klag? Would you like to play some time?

What table selection techniques do you use while playing online?

Suppose you are playing a heads up cash game with blinds €1-€2, and €200 stacks. You are on the small blind and you get dealt AK. While you are thinking about what to do you accidentally flip over your cards and your opponent sees them, however you are still allowed to play the hand. Should you go all in? Or fold and wait for a better spot? Would it ever be better to do something like raise to €7, just to mix up your play?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

If it takes a man a week to walk a fortnight how long does it take to sandpaper an elephant into a greyhound?

Other than myself who is the worst contributor to the Poker forum?

Do you have a real job? If so what is it? If you could work at something else what would it be?

If you had to pick boardsters to have a grudge match with - who would you pick?

Who do you think is the best poster on the Poker Forum (other than yourself)?

What has been your single biggest pot win/loss? Details please?

What has been your biggest poker tourney win?

Do you have any poker ambitions which you have yet to fulfil? (If it involves the PPP Irish Open and how to qualify for cheap then feel free to PM me ;) )

What is your preferred live/online tourney?

If it takes two men, three days, to walk backwards into eternity how long does it take Oliver Twist to pick a pocket or two?

What is your biggest pet hate?

What has been the biggest influence on your poker career?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Which charity do you dislike the most?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭handsfree

how did you blow your bankroll?

do you ever go to the lower limits and blow $50 or so just for a bit of craic?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭AmarilloFats

What/(how much $$) would you like to do in poker for 2007..
    How much did you win in 2006??
    Has poker ever made you cry?
    Fancy a heads up game?? if you win IOU $100, if I win all your post for the yeear have to contain the advise....."I'd wait for a better spot.."raise for info"..."check minrase to define your hand"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

You play five-a-side football, yet you look like you wouldn't trap a bag of cement. Are you any good ?

you knew about 'stop and go' strategy when most never heard of it, any other nuggets we should know about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭sendic

I know you hate unlikely hypothetical situations, but seeing as how you're in the well...

its the FT of a satellite, 6 players remaining, 5 tickets, 6th get nothing. there is one shortstack of 10BBs, everyone else is pretty even on ~30BBs.

the shortstack pushes allin UTG, everyone calls. youre in the BB. you know the others arent insane and wont bet into a dry side pot in this instance.

would you call with any two?

what if you only had 15BBs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

What do you see as the biggest weaknesses in your game? Where do you think you need to improve? Same question for strengths. I know these questions are quite hard to answer.

Since you've started keeping records/ been pro, how much have you made on average per month? I know alot of people wouldn't feel comfortable answering this and no worries if you don't want to.

What were your biggest winning/ losing sessions?

Will you be going to Vegas next year for the WSOP?

How long do you see yourself playing poker as your sole source of income for? If you do ever plan to give up poker as your sole source of income, what would you like to do / what would you do instead?

What did you do before you started playing poker for a living?

Do you think if you had the BR you'd beat the 'High Stakes Poker' game?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

BigDragon wrote:
    Why stop blogging?
    Why leave Poland?
    Do you give a sh1t?

I didnt really stop blogging. I decided last year to severely cut down on the time I spent in front of a computer, so I stopped keeping up to date with any poker forums bar here and 2+2. So after that all my internet activity dropped off. I do post occasionaly!

I left poland because I missed my friends and couldnt get a regular football game

Sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Do you enjoy playing poker as much as when you started, and how old were you when you started?

Did you have any ambitions prior to playing poker?

You have spent countless hours providing users of this site with information. Do you still learn from others here?

Have you ever considered writing a book on poker? Or maybe a column in a magazine etc?

If you had to give your entire bankroll to someone on this site for 1 month to play at a game of their choice, who would it be?

jimbling wrote:
    this should be a fun one.
    How long have you been playing poker?

About 5 years I think now
    jimbling wrote:
    What games are you currently playing and how much do you play in a week?

Currently playing 12 and 24, I aim to play about 30 hours a week. Ive been failing recently
    jimbling wrote:
    What are the highest stakes you've ever played and how'd that go for you?

Ive played 10 20 a few times following a fish, im down about 2k there.

jimbling wrote:
    Has there been a major turning point in your poker career, an epiphany if you will? perhaps some moment that brought you up to that next level. or was it just a hard slog of continued study and practice :D

There has been several times when ive realised Ive passed some turning point. A lot of my early success was just based on playing very tight. I remember discovering that if you just played very tight in a stt some chump would eventually double you up. My range used to be something like AA KK QQ.
    jimbling wrote:
    Did you go to college? if so what did you do (guessing mathematics of some sort) and where did you go?

I did maths in maynooth, but didnt make it into 2nd year! I left college and got a job, whilst there I got 2 diplomas, one it IT and 1 in training.
    jimbling wrote:
    What other hobbies do you have?

I make minimal techno and occasionaly play gigs here and there (mostly parties). I play a lot of football (not enough) and I read a lot. Im a huge fan of JG Ballard and PK Dick and would probably join a religon if it was based on their writings. I play computer games as long as its pro ev or it has a lot of violence

jimbling wrote:
    How did they convince you to jump into the well? :eek:

It seemed kind of fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Solksjaer

Please grade the below 1 to 5 in order of importance to the all round skill required for a poker players to be successful

Luck, People reading, agression, Maths , patience ...

In your opinion what's the best way to stall an aggressive player at a table whilst still maintaining your own desired table image.
    Tilting. What's the best way to get yourself back in line when you know you are tilting.
    Was was the most expensive item you've purchased this year?

In my opinion there will be a lot of upcoming poker talent in this country (not all young) coming through in 2007.
    Who do you reckon will break-through next year .

Scandanavians - Are they so sucessful because A) so many of them play that statically some have to be v good or B) They have the temprement.

If you get a read on someone and it is a big tell but he is no longer at your table , would you advise your buddies (still in the tourny) of it or would you keep it to yourself. (Think the answer is obvious to that one )

Jaden wrote:
    What do you think is the weakest part of your game?

I tilt pretty badly sometimes, and I spend a good % of my time unable to play because im on tilt.
    Jaden wrote:
    On the same theme, what is the most common failing you see in other players?

They are far too loose and passive. Ive seen quite a few people playing from here online that I wont mention, some with very good reputations. Nearly all of them without exception made horrible decisions and were far far too loose out of position. Limping suited kings under the gun and then calling raises and rubbish like that. It actually depressed me quite a bit. There is no way that they are going to be NLH winners playing like that.
    Jaden wrote:
    How do you deal with a bad beat both on-line and real life (TM).

Well at some stages in my life I honestly just smile and it doesnt affect me whatsover. There has been patches of my life where I dont get fazed by a bad beat for months. For the last while getting a bad beat (and Ive gotten several really bad ones over the last week or so) ive gone on almost monkey tilt.
    Jaden wrote:
    Are you the spotty little nerd I've always pictured you to be?

No. I look like a mix between Steve McQueen and Tom Cruise.
    Jaden wrote:
    Have you ever considered teaching Poker in any way?

A little. I started a weekly poker meeting with some of my friends to try and improve everyones play which has been pretty interesting. We spend a while talking about what happened druring our weeks, discussing key hands then someone plays for an hour and we all watch and then discuss what we saw. Id advise any group of players to do something like this as its really helpfull. We have a very strong group of players.

I would coach a player but only if they reimbursed me for whatever my winrate was at the time. I think this may be too much for most players who arent winners already, so its kind of a catch 22

No. I look like a mix between Steve McQueen and Tom Cruise.

It's true. He is very short and has greying hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

How many times in the 5 or so years you've been playing have you went broke?

Are your family supportive or against your playing poker for a living?What about your friends?

When you started playing online, did you make a hefty deposit or grind your way up through the levels?

Say you've only $50 and have to build it into a bankroll, how would you go about it?

Has your social life changed much?

Apart from holdem, what is your strongest game?And weakest?

How many poker books have you read and which do you consider to be the best (if possible)? Do you consider books or forums better sources of information/strategic information?

If you had to sleep with one of the following, which would you pick and why? a) Captain Tom b) David Sklansky c) Amarillo Slim and d) Doyle Bruson.

In your opinion, who is the best cash game player in Ireland?And the world?
    Also, who do you consider to be the best tournament player in Ireland and the world?

How did you initially get into poker?

Do you find you play better online or in real life?Or about the same? If there is a difference in your live game and online game, what is it and why does it exist?

If you were only allowed one piece of advice to pass on (poker advice), what would it be?

RoundTower wrote:
    Do you think it's a bad idea to risk all your chips on a draw in a poker tournament, especially early in the the first few levels?

It depends. Its not something I would advise people to do, but there are many times when its going to be far more profitable to risk all your chips than to fold, but as a game plan its not really going to be something im aiming towards.
    RoundTower wrote:
    Several noted professionals have commented on how they fare better against stronger opposition. Do you find this is true for you?

My favourite opponents dont know all the rules yet. I do enjoy the challenge of trying to beat tight players, but its far far more profitable to play loose idiots.
    RoundTower wrote:
    Do you consider yourself a lucky player? If you think of the four or five biggest pots you've ever played in cash games -- or the most crucial points in tournaments -- have you been lucky or unlucky overall?

No I dont consider myself to have been unlucky or lucky.

RoundTower wrote:
    Do you know how to play mythical or klag? Would you like to play some time?

Yeah ive played mythical a good bit, i find it quite boring and Im definitely not very good at it, so no.
    RoundTower wrote:
    What table selection techniques do you use while playing online?

I check my buddly first. Then just hop into the first game with 5 players playing that has the highest pot average. If the game looks bad I will look for another one to replace it. Once I have 3 good tables I wont look for another one.
    RoundTower wrote:
    Suppose you are playing a heads up cash game with blinds €1-€2, and €200 stacks. You are on the small blind and you get dealt AK. While you are thinking about what to do you accidentally flip over your cards and your opponent sees them, however you are still allowed to play the hand. Should you go all in? Or fold and wait for a better spot? Would it ever be better to do something like raise to €7, just to mix up your play?

You could work it out mathematically, but that seems like cheating. I doubt its profitable to push and playing the hand normally would be insanly bad. Anytime in poker when your hand is very clear to your opponent its tough to make that situation profitable as they are unlikely to ever make a mistake. I think if you had around 50 blinds you could profitably push. I remember reading something sklansky wrote about it.

How much do you charge for chess lessons?

What are your current stats in Pokertracker for VPIP, PFR% and Total Aggression Postflop? What is the hand that has lost you the most money (on average)?

You're the SB and the BB is an average unimaginative player. He isn't overly tight or loose preflop. What range of hands will you raise/complete/fold with assuming that you play much better postflop?

How highly do you rate suited connectors and suited one gappers?

You recently posted about open-limping ATs from UTG in a cash game. How big a leak is open limping from any other position? What are the merits of limping UTG and what range of hands will you do it with?

How important is datamining? Do you replay hands you've mined to analyse the play of certain people before you add them to your buddylist? Are there players who you'll avoid at the stakes you play?

What stats do you have pokerace configured to show on your opponents? How heavily do you rely on these stats for in-hand analysis/decisions?

Do you think there is other intelligent life in the universe that is living beyond the sight of modern science?

If you had to choose between being a beggar and having both your legs amputated which would you go for?

• Advertisement

If it takes a man a week to walk a fortnight how long does it take to sandpaper an elephant into a greyhound?

I think you would be left with a bloody and enraged elephant rather than a grey hound.
    Other than myself who is the worst contributor to the Poker forum?

I dont think you are a bad contributer! I honestly cant think of bad one right now. I often disagree with people but who knows, maybe im wrong. I think the forum may well be slightly overmoderated now. The mods do a great job and are all great people, but theres been a few threads locked that really shouldnt of been IMO. Its not a big deal though.
    Do you have a real job? If so what is it? If you could work at something else what would it be?

I dont have a real job! I used to work in IT and training. I think id probably kill myself If I had to get a real job again.

If you had to pick boardsters to have a grudge match with - who would you pick?

Id like to play mrpillowtalk heads up for huge stakes at some stage, but I dont have the money at the moment.

Who do you think is the best poster on the Poker Forum (other than yourself)?

Fuzzbox without question. There are a lot of very good posters.
    What has been your single biggest pot win/loss? Details please?

I won 3k pot playing omaha 2 years ago. I raised preflop with 99xx, flop is 99T. I bet the full pot get 1 caller. Turn J I bet the full pot and get called. River Q I bet the full pot and get reraised. I push and he calls with JKQQ. I enjoyed that
    What has been your biggest poker tourney win?

I came 4th in a $200 mtt for 7k last year

Do you have any poker ambitions which you have yet to fulfil? (If it involves the PPP Irish Open and how to qualify for cheap then feel free to PM me ;) )

I want to play and beat 50 100 nlh. I would also like to play with Phil Ivey which I know probably sounds gay but I may as well be honest.

What is your preferred live/online tourney?

I dont play many tournaments, I think they are kind of silly - its like poker with training wheels. They were just invented to fish could win large amountss of money then blow it to me in cash games. Most tournament players are actually quite bad poker players, they just dont realise it.
    If it takes two men, three days, to walk backwards into eternity how long does it take Oliver Twist to pick a pocket or two?

I dont see how the two events are correlated. I dont think it takes Oliver Twist that long though. So maybe 3 mins?
    What is your biggest pet hate?

Far too many to categorise!
    What has been the biggest influence on your poker career?

2+2 HSNL forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭fuzzbox

Whats the strongest part of your game?
    Whats the weakest part of your game?
    What are you doing about the weak part to try to improve it?
    Are you obsessive compulsive?
    Do you win a lot?
    Whats your favourite colour?
    Which is nicer - cheddar or blue stilton?
    Which boards poster do you play most like?
    Which boards poster do you wish you played like?
    How many bones has a body got?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Have you written/recorded any minimal techno?
    If so, can it be found anywhere on the interweb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

What games are you currently playing

Do you consider yourself a poker snob

how long is it since you've seen daylight

define minimal techno

Whats your biggest downswing

I feel any monkey can beat ring games up to a decent level. from your stated views of tournament players we clearly differ in opinions here, I know your a good tournament player, if there that easy why not play more of them.

whose the best player you have played against live and online

whose your favorite politician and what way do you vote

whats the best piece of advice you ever had poker related and life wise

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

You mention about 2+2 HSNL being a heavy influence on your game. Which posters do you think offer the best advice?
    Who do you post as on 2+2?
    Do you play football on saturday afternoons? We could do with one or two other players at our satuday game which is held in my old school in booterstown.
    How long do you think it will take for you to get to 50-100?
    Who are the best players you've ever played against? Online and live.

Thats all I can think of at the moment. Well done for taking time to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭rogue trader

Hi HJ

What’s most important to you outside poker?
    Why did you only last 1 year in college?
    Is maths overrated in poker? If not, explain.
    Tell us about a recent mistake you made at a poker table.
    You get AKo and raise. Two callers. 10 high rag flop. Check or bet?
    So you bet and get one caller. Low turn card, check or bet?
    How many presents did you buy for others this xmas?
    You say some good tournament players make terrible cash game players.
    Why is this? Is there one common trait that they all have? What advice would you offer these players?
    Lastly, which is a better starting hand AA or AK? Hmmm, maybe don’t answer that…..

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭rogue trader

Is there a story behind the name 'Hectorjelly'?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Have you read anything by Richard Dawkins, if so, what did you think and what book is his best IYO?

Do you play much chess, what is your curent rating?

Which 2+2 Posters do you rate highest?

Who do you think are the 5 best Poker players in the world, online or Live.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Whats you're highest break in Snooker? I suspect its quite high if you play.(I've long had a theory that the logical thinking / trap-playing etc needed in snooker / pool means that good poker players will also be good snooker players).

In an online tourney head to head, your opponent is disconnected - whats your attitude.

Do you smoke?. If Yes, can you answer the question in my signature.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Solksjaer

Whats you're highest break in Snooker? I suspect its quite high if you play.(I've long had a theory that the logical thinking / trap-playing etc needed in snooker / pool means that good poker players will also be good snooker players).

In an online tourney head to head, your opponent is disconnected - whats your attitude.

Do you smoke?. If Yes, can you answer the question in my signature.

azul del jugador de Juan?

Advertisement