Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is it wrong to oppose mass immigration?

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mikemorano

What does this have to do with PPS numbers and what detailed statistics are you looking for exactly?

My ex wife is Russian and was a failed Asylum Seeker who left the system to live with me. In 2003 she applied for a PPS number and found work in a local factory and worked there for 3 years no question. They gave her a passport in 2011 knowing that she worked illegally. The rules are bent .

The details do not exist so anything that is said is merely speculation .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

mikemorano wrote: »
    My ex wife is Russian and was a failed Asylum Seeker who left the system to live with me. In 2003 she applied for a PPS number and found work in a local factory and worked there for 3 years no question. They gave her a passport in 2011 knowing that she worked illegally. The rules are bent .

I'm not really sure why you are answering my question with another anecdote, nor can I see how that anecdote really relates to anything I've asked other than you mention a PPS number in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

So there is no fraud in the welfare pension system . !

The woman is from Latvia lived and worked here for 5 years ,became unemployed got JSA.
    Then she claimed her mother was living alone in Latvia without anyone to care for her . The mother came here and for the HRC but still moved back to Latvia during the 2 years . The mother now gets a non contributory pension and lives for 6 months in Latvia with her daughter at present.

Her mother should not be entitled to such payment I would if I was aware of such a situation make a complaint to SW. BTW a non contributory pension requires the person to be resident so prob fraud as well.

Reply to INFOSYS post below.
    PPS numbers mean nothing, it gives no right to work and are given to non economically active people. A person arrives here to work as a doctor, her husband and 3 children come that's 5 PPS numbers only one worker.

You give just one example and do not show detailed statistics .

There is no requirement for detailed statistics a PPS number gives no right to enter or reside or work it's that simple. If you are non EU you need a visa to enter and an upto date stamp in your passport to reside and work. You can have a PPS number but without a stamp you are breaking the law if you work and you are liable to deportation in fact the person is illegal.

Logic would suggest there are many not living here with Irish Passports .
    The Habitual Residence is not a barrier for someone to get welfare and is easily overcome should they decide to do so..
    Details of those who are granted passports from great grand parents and grandparents and living abroad .

The habitual residence test applies to Irish Nationals as well. The vast majority of person with irish nationally born aboard are from the UK.

Other than that your post is just bland statments of supposed fact with no evidence to 1 back it up or 2 show the problem.

• Advertisement

I assume she got a passport due to marriage to you or 5 years legal residency in the state. She was lucky she was not prosecuted for working illegally such conviction would have caused issue. BTW she is now legal because of you.

BTW I have a story for you (be aware it's bull and has little if anything to do with this thread) my great grand uncle was a Great Dane, he came to ireland and robbed all the food and gave it to the polish, all true really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

Koch wrote: »
    Landing in Ireland is like winning the Lotto to some people.

I was queueing up to buy stamps before Christmas and there was about three momas in front of me holding up the whole place because they were filling out Western Union forms.

Social Welfare recipients should be given a Visa card that can only be used for certain items. That would soon put a stop to this welfare-induced migration.
    Phoebas wrote: »
    What the hell has that got to do with anything? Some other people were once in front of you in the queue at the post office, therefore social welfare recipients need to be given visa cards ... how has any of that got anything to do with immigration?

Plain ol' jealousy, Pure and simple....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

alastair wrote: »
    It's clear how a few dozen self-selecting readers feel about an idiotic comments thread all right. I won't worry myself about it unduly. I particularly like how one poster pointed out the inaccuracy of the Indo headline and core claim of the article though.

Many people read those comments and had the option to like or not like. Its clear most who read agreed with the comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

woodoo wrote: »
    Many people read those comments and had the option to like or not like. Its clear most who read agreed with the comments.

Yet no anti-immigration party or individual in this state has ever retained it's deposit in any election. I'd take that as a more reliable indicator of mood, myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

woodoo wrote: »

No it's not. All that's clear is that a couple of dozen people (presumably yourself included?) agreed with some idiotic comments. Unless the Indo's readership has fallen considerably, most readers didn't feel compelled to agree or disagree (or indeed, even read the idiotic comments). I know I didn't for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Nodin wrote: »
    There are people who have strong feelings about trees that move when people aren't watching as well.
    Are you comparing people skeptical of Islam with fruitcakes who think the trees are playing Ninja?

What do you think of the prediction - Islam to become Irelands second religion by 2043 ... is this a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

SeanW wrote: »
    Are you comparing people skeptical of Islam with fruitcakes who think the trees are playing Ninja?

What do you think of the prediction - Islam to become Irelands second religion by 2043 ... is this a good thing?

They'd be hard pressed to do as much damage to the country as the Catholic Church has,so overall it wouldn't be that much of a worry.Also,who made this prediction?Was it that postman in Donegal who predicts the weather,has he branched out to demographics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Swan Curry wrote: »
    They'd be hard pressed to do as much damage to the country as the Catholic Church has,so overall it wouldn't be that much of a worry.Also,who made this prediction?Was it that postman in Donegal who predicts the weather,has he branched out to demographics?

Such complacency.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Well - you've nailed your Islamophobic colours to the mast elsewhere in relation to the Halawa siblings, so no prizes for guessing your thoughts. The prediction is for Orthodox Christianity to become the second religion btw - not Islam. And the referenced comments on the Indo thread were not from 'people skeptical of Islam', but from those phobic to the religion. By the very nature of religion, any non-believer is a skeptic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Are you comparing people skeptical of Islam with fruitcakes who think the trees are playing Ninja??

Some, yes.

I think any religion a bit of a bad idea, so no, I don't think it a good thing, though I doubt it will happen.

Advertisement