Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sayno

ForestFire wrote: »
    Your ad say there are 0 previous owners, but yet its a UK import with Mayo reg selling in Galway.

Now you could very well have imported from new to your home address in Mayo and now live in Galway and if you did do this then you should clearly say this in add.

Otherwise I estimate about 3 owners in 3 years which does not look good. Why is no one keeping the car?

Also I am going to use my psychic powers and guess your reg number... (I have no idea anyway why you would hide it??)

It's coming to me now
    151MO2606

The force is strong with you.
    Thanks for the advice. When I put in the reg no on the done deal app it came up as 0 previous owners. Referring to ROI owners. I will see if I can change that. Once again thanks

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd get rid of that N plate from the windscreen and take new photos without it. The N plate gives the impression that it was used by a learner to pass their test in which could give a buyer a bad impression of the car getting a bit abused by it's previous owner. Mileage is also a bit above average for the year especially on a small car. Corsas in general do not have great resale values, there are lots of them for sale and most seem to have been rental cars at some stage which affects their image. I'd also list it as both Vauxhall/Opel, no point in leaving it out even though they are the same thing outside the badges.

You might also want to review the asking price, here is a facelift one with similar mileage being offered with a 12 month warranty for not much more. Your car needs to be significantly cheaper to tempt a buyer from buying from a dealer with a warranty.

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2036471&r=s.php%3Fm%3D63%26o%3D871%26r%3D2015%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

Thanks for that. I agree there might have to be a bit of a downward adjustment pricewise and take off the N plate

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Testing it early and getting 2 years NCT on it would also help.
    NCT booked. That should help. Thanks for the comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

sayno wrote: »
    The force is strong with you.
    Thanks for the advice. When I put in the reg no on the done deal app it came up as 0 previous owners. Referring to ROI owners. I will see if I can change that. Once again thanks

No need to do anything, it’s obvious it’s a uk import and it’s 0 previous owners in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

sayno wrote: »
    Does the blocked number plate put people off?

Why did you block it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Are there any issues with sending a potential buyer a copy of the log book? I can't think of one but don't want to be scammed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭ForestFire

cooperguy wrote: »
    Are there any issues with sending a potential buyer a copy of the log book? I can't think of one but don't want to be scammed!

I don't know....But the question I would ask is...

Is there any reason why a potential buyer would need a copy of the log book?

Why have they requested it?

Well, if you block your personal details but leave the serial number of the logbook visible, they can get your name/address/email/phone number. Dunno why they’d go to all that troub,e, but there’s no reason for someone to actually need a copy of the logbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They don't need a copy of it and I wouldn't be giving them one.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

How do NCTS determine the county for reg. Is it by your home address or the county you do the inspection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

jod1983 wrote: »
    How do NCTS determine the county for reg. Is it by your home address or the county you do the inspection?

The address where the car is registered (which is the owners personal home address in most cases).

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

I'm just about to sell my BMW 320i and looking for pricing guidelines. Reason I've not got it on
    a site is 1. the mechanic the did some work on it last week asked me to tell him what I wanted for
    it before I list. 2. I've just got it NCT'd and haven't had the time to take proper pics.

I've no real idea what to ask for it. Info below;

2008 (low tax model) - Black - Coupe - Manual - Petrol
    Very good condition inside and out, one scratch on the far-side door but got it touched up.
    A bit of pulling on the stitching on the driver side seat, not really visable.
    Just under 100k miles on the clock.
    Just normal material on the seats, not leather.
    Wheels aren't great, decent bit of curb damage.
    Needs one new tyre, down to 3mm.
    Full service history, two sets of keys, taxed till April NCT'd until Jan 2020.

Any help would be appreciated.

All, uploaded ad, feedback welcome,.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-320i-coupe/21020656

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Some really great information in this thread - thanks all.

Just wanted to confirm that all of the information on payment is still valid.

Surely these days bank transfer should be the way to go - right?

If not, do you still need to go to the bank with the buyer to confirm that their cash or bank draft is legit? Sounds like a very uncomfortable time for both parties?

Do people here have actual experiences where buyers tried to use counterfeit notes or a dodgy draft?

Also is donedeal.ie still the way to go for ~5k sale? I always thought that donedeal lead to more tyre kickers, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Last one just done a bank transfer Infront of him on the banking app on my phone. Make sure your with the same bank.

Just put the car on Done Deal. Any advice on ad content appreciated!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-320d-efficient-dynamics-satnav-leather-bluetoo/21077984

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just put the car on Done Deal. Any advice on ad content appreciated!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-320d-efficient-dynamics-satnav-leather-bluetoo/21077984

Take it down and put some nice alloys on it, a set of msports or something. They really make it look a bit meh.

I don't care what mpg you get. List the extras, heated seats etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Omit the last two lines.
    Include a pic of the dials showing the mileage.
    Is this car an import?

Take it down and put some nice alloys on it, a set of msports or something. They really make it look a bit meh.

I don't care what mpg you get. List the extras, heated seats etc.
    chicorytip wrote: »
    Omit the last two lines.
    Include a pic of the dials showing the mileage.
    Is this car an import?

Ill add the pic of the dials. Yes, it was imported, 1 previous owner, I have messaged DoneDeal to update owners. I cant do it myself

Done deal only shows Irish ownership. Don’t sweat it. Mention uk service history and takenefficient dynamics out of the title. Just say 320d with extras in the title.
    Someone looking for an m sport will never buy it anyway so just emphasise the condition and history of the car. If you have receipts etc for service, take a pic.
    I wouldn’t go highlighting the small wheels so remove picture 4.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Wondering if anyone can advise. I'm living in the north now, and with impending Brexit I'm looking at selling my southern car and getting a nordie one. Am I as well off to sell to a dealer, considering I don't really have time to be meeting people in the south to sell the thing? It's a 132, just got a new timing and fan belt in Jan, and NCT valid til 2021. I'd rather it over and done with asap, but also want to get as much money for it as possible :pac:

I've never sold a car before so just wondering what my best option is? Any advice welcome :o:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you want it gone asap with minimum hassle and time then trading it in is the easiest way. However if you want the best money for it then selling it privately is the way to go.

Alot of Northern dealers will take southern trade-ins these days once they have a dealer or trader down south who will buy it from them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

bazz26 wrote: »
    If you want it gone asap with minimum hassle and time then trading it in is the easiest way. However if you want the best money for it then selling it privately is the way to go.

Alot of Northern dealers will take southern trade-ins these days once they have a dealer or trader down south who will buy it from them.

Oh really? That might be my best bet so, I was wondering how I was gonna sell it to a dealer in Ireland without trading it in. That makes a big difference, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭demello

I have this add up for months, with very few inquiries. I just dropped the price.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    DM

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-ceed/20368304

• Registered Users Posts: 39 padger

I've been looking at buying a BMW 3 series from 2009- 2012 or so, they seem cheap. Almost suspiciously cheap, even with nct included. Are there any known issues with this model for these years?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

padger wrote: »
    I've been looking at buying a BMW 3 series from 2009- 2012 or so, they seem cheap. Almost suspiciously cheap, even with nct included. Are there any known issues with this model for these years?

Yes... Just google "Chain N47"

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭demello

I have this add up for months, with very few inquiries. I just dropped the price.

Thanks in advance,
    DM

www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-ceed/20368304

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

demello wrote: »

Thanks in advance,
    DM

Stop spamming this thread would be my first instinct...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 padger

grogi wrote: »
    Yes... Just google "Chain N47"

Ah I see, from the bit of googling I did it appears it was only the diesel model that was effected?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

demello wrote: »

Thanks in advance,
    DM

Drop the sales pitch, and the comparison to a VW Golf.

Just give information about the car, photos of service history to validate mileage.

• Advertisement

Drop the sales pitch, and the comparison to a VW Golf.

Just give information about the car, photos of service history to validate mileage.

Agreed, the whole “it’s younger than it is” thing is unnecessary, as is the top 50 reliability index and saying it’s stylish.

List the features, the service history, condition of interior/exterior/tyres.

You seem to only have it since September, so if you’ve brought it in from the uk, show the uk reg number too (it’ll be on your vehicle registration certificate) which will let a potential buyer do a fee MOT check.

Ad has so much potential and the car is low mileage and looks good, the as lets it down.

Advertisement