Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA Season 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, I got to see the summer league and that was it before it went down.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

And right on Q the IMRA site goes down!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

eoinín wrote: »
    This was the most enjoyable race I've done in quite some time - great scenery, great atmosphere, great organisation. Every race should have a U.S. high school / college group cheering the runners on - they were all so enthusiastic - "you guys are awesome"!!

Thanks to all involved in the organisation.
    +1
    Yep really enjoyed this one, apart from the major lack of fitness but that another story. Really well run even and great support from the yanks during the run. Was very glad that I had received a pair of train runners for Christmas would have been lost without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Ticknock. John Kelly has come up with a cracking route for this one (with initial inspiration from Mountain Rescue)
    I will be recceing it on Saturday to get the exact distance/elevation if anyone wants to try before they buy.
    10am at Lamb Doyles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Peterx wrote: »
    Ticknock. John Kelly has come up with a cracking route for this one.
    I will be recceing it on Saturday to get the exact distance/elevation if anyone wants to try before they buy.
    10am at Lamb Doyles.

Hi Peter,
    Do you know yet whether it's clockwise or anti-clockwise? Do you descend the bone shaker or ascend it?
    Won't be around for the recce but will be very early for the race!

• Advertisement

Hi Peter,
    Do you know yet whether it's clockwise or anti-clockwise? Do you descend the bone shaker or ascend it?
    Won't be around for the recce but will be very early for the race!

Race start leads to the bottom of the Boneshaker but we are not going either up or down it. The loop essentially goes out across the open mountain, up the fireroad, left up a rocky trail, cuts across through the smaller masts, a track across to the old WW, down that, across to the Red Shed, through the forest and back over to the bottom of the Boneshaker and back down the singletrack you came up to the finish.
    So Clockwise.
    We are looking at the juniors going up the boneshaker to cut out some of the loop.

How do the climbs compare to that in howth apart from been longer , much steeper?. Haven't been up in that area in a long time.

morceli wrote: »
    How do the climbs compare to that in howth apart from been longer , much steeper?. Haven't been up in that area in a long time.

They are no steeper then Howth but are much longer climbs and the ground underfoot has more loose rocks. It is also wetter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Is it starting out from Lamb Doyles or Ticknock Car Park ?

Registration is at Lamb Doyles and according to the IMRA site the start is 500m away, so sounds like the start is similar to Run the Line back in November.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Fairly sure the start is in the first carpark at Ticknock. The route then follows the short trail that brings you to the second carpark. Straight ahead on the road, turning down where the MTB track comes out. You come out at the boneshaker, but cross that and head around the mtn before climbing up towards the smaller aerials.

It looks like a nice route as it avoid the bone gouging paths and takes in the nice west side of the hill, which is lovely and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Race start leads to the bottom of the Boneshaker but we are not going either up or down it. The loop essentially goes out across the open mountain, up the fireroad, left up a rocky trail, cuts across through the smaller masts, a track across to the old WW, down that, across to the Red Shed, through the forest and back over to the bottom of the Boneshaker and back down the singletrack you came up to the finish.
    So Clockwise.
    We are looking at the juniors going up the boneshaker to cut out some of the loop.

That's great. Thanks Peter.

On the juniors what's the lowest age entry for the short course?
    There may be some 14 year old lads interested in running the short course.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Is it starting out from Lamb Doyles or Ticknock Car Park ?

Near Lamb Doyles on a lane off the roadway. NOT TICKNOCK CARPARK. If this plan changes the race page will be updated.

I will have to consult with the junior officer for the guidelines, hopefully the route will be short enough to allow the 14 year old to take part.

They are no steeper then Howth but are much longer climbs and the ground underfoot has more loose rocks. It is also wetter.
    Great thanks sounds good will give it a good. Legs really don't like hill but hope they learn soon.

Near Lamb Doyles on a lane off the roadway. NOT TICKNOCK CARPARK. If this plan changes the race page will be updated.

I will have to consult with the junior officer for the guidelines, hopefully the route will be short enough to allow the 14 year old to take part.

do you mean the location where the RTL race entered the trails off the road ?

PaulieC wrote: »
    do you mean the location where the RTL race entered the trails off the road ?

Just up the road from there. I would prefer not to start straight into single track.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/435239347
    or
    http://app.strava.com/activities/108780386

We ran it today, it's technical underfoot no matter which direction you take on the loop so decided on Clockwise as we get a lovely flowy descending 300m through the mature forest near the end of the loop.

Just up the road from there. I would prefer not to start straight into single track.

or

We ran it today, it's technical underfoot no matter which direction you take on the loop so decided on Clockwise as we get a lovely flowy descending 300m through the mature forest near the end of the loop.

Thanks Peter, it looks like a smashing route and should avoid the backup we had at the start of Run the Line

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

Leinster Championship races have been added.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭summit2summit

Leinster Championship races have been added.

I'm organising the Circuit of Brockagh race, will post much for details on it as soon as I can get a recce done! Thinking of marking the start (same start as Circuit of Glendalough) to the road crossing just north of Laragh. The rest will be free route choice.

Mandatory places are start/finish, Scarr, Tonelagee, Camaderry, start/finish

or

Did the route today. Somehow added on an extra 3km! Nice course, v technical and v wet. Tougher than it looks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Hello

Is the IMRA site down again? If so, is there any other way of registering with IMRA before Sunday?

Thank you!

Yip, it's down again. I would imagine it will be up some time before the weekend though.

The junior course is about 6.5km long and very tough. I can recce it with you on Saturday and you can decide then if it's suitable for the lads?
    It is definitely on the upper limit (if not beyond) for 14 year olds. Unfortunately I didn't check the guidelines and de website is down again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 stirwell

I'm organising the Circuit of Brockagh race, will post much for details on it as soon as I can get a recce done! Thinking of marking the start (same start as Circuit of Glendalough) to the road crossing just north of Laragh. The rest will be free route choice.

Mandatory places are start/finish, Scarr, Tonelagee, Camaderry, start/finish
    Hey summittosummit I dont know if it will affect things but I think the WAR glendalough is on the same day.

https://www.imra.ie/photos/view/id/79175/

the final actual route for Ticknock's race and if you think you can follow that without John's fluttering red and white tape in place you should consider taking up orienteering. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭summit2summit

stirwell wrote: »
    Hey summittosummit I dont know if it will affect things but I think the WAR glendalough is on the same day.

Thanks for the info Stirwell! Will look into

Might be of interest.

A particularly good insight in some of the training done by Timothy Olson for ultra mtn races, including steep and fast treadmill runs.

http://www.dominicgrossman.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

has anyone been up around Three Rock/Ticknock this week? Wondering how messy the underfoot conditions are.

statss wrote: »
    has anyone been up around Three Rock/Ticknock this week? Wondering how messy the underfoot conditions are.

It is very wet up there on all natural trails. You can get a dryish underfoot run in by using tarmac to the masts and staying on the built trails up to Fairy and across To Tibradden, and back.

• Advertisement

statss wrote: »

As of last Sunday, very sloppy in places, with some firm underfoot sections. The forest section that skirts around Fairycastle was basically a small river but not sloppy.

A small section through the aerials at the top was a mudbath. I've heard that as of Wednesday, it wasn't any different.

Definitely one for the trail shoes. Not sure if I'd go with really aggressive grips though as there is some firm ground in places, but then again, it is slippy in places.

Advertisement