Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 800

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Maybe wait to see what the new Nokia Lumia 900 is like. Should be more details released soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Maybe wait to see what the new Nokia Lumia 900 is like. Should be more details released soon

Hopefully it won't be a 4.7" behemoth like the Galaxy Nexus. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ozymandius

Got Lumia 800 before Christmas. It's great - part of the reason is that it's simply different. I just couldn't get a me-too iPhone and I don't like Android devices. The big selling point to me was that it is only a 3.7" screen. Most android devices are too big for me. The WP UX is really good, very slick. Although what you get is what you're stuck with. There's no real opportunity to tweak it. But that's the modern way. But the OS is still maturing. Which leads to my question ...

A question for anyone who already has one (or other WP7 devices) - the phone is unlocked from Germany (T-Mobile) - should I expect to get updates in the usual way, or are there some hoops to go through seeing as how the phone is not available here yet?

ozymandius wrote: »
    Got Lumia 800 before Christmas. It's great - part of the reason is that it's simply different. I just couldn't get a me-too iPhone and I don't like Android devices. The big selling point to me was that it is only a 3.7" screen. Most android devices are too big for me. The WP UX is really good, very slick. Although what you get is what you're stuck with. There's no real opportunity to tweak it. But that's the modern way. But the OS is still maturing. Which leads to my question ...

A question for anyone who already has one (or other WP7 devices) - the phone is unlocked from Germany (T-Mobile) - should I expect to get updates in the usual way, or are there some hoops to go through seeing as how the phone is not available here yet?

You'll get the updates in the usual way, should be one coming out in the next couple of weeks for the Lumia 800. Nothing to worry about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I eventually moved from an nokia N8 had an ip4 in between to the SG 2 and I have to say the SG2 is unreal I found it easy to use just like my nokias from before,The thing is I'm not convinced about nokia and the os they use I would love to go back to them but after getting burned with the n97&n8 I,ve giving up hope.
    The mad thing is I'm due an upgrade and even though I said that I'm finished with them they still imo make the best handset are they using the micro sim with the new handsets these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

The fact you just said 'the OS they use' kinda sounds like your not even aware that it's Windows Phone! Look into it...it's a good OS!

Micro sim depends on the device!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I'm well aware that windows are behind the operating system what I meant to say was with it only being a new device is there any problems with it buggy etc also this micro sim is a load of b*ll*x the one thing that turned me off the ip4,Also is nokia doing something along the lines of the ovi store to support the phone/apps etc to be honest the phone would have to be alot better than the sg2 in order for me to switch back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I'm well aware that windows are behind the operating system what I meant to say was with it only being a new device is there any problems with it buggy etc also this micro sim is a load of b*ll*x the one thing that turned me off the ip4,Also is nokia doing something along the lines of the ovi store to support the phone/apps etc to be honest the phone would have to be alot better than the sg2 in order for me to switch back.

Well the OS isnt new. Its over a year old at this stage since launch.

The only bug with the Lumia that in rare cases the firmware doesn't read the full battery amount of the phone. A fix is meant to be coming this month as far as i remember. Just buy a micro sim adapter online. Their only 3.50 on Amazon for a really good one in case you decide you need to pop your sim into a diff phone.

Other than that the phone has been getting great reviews since its launch. WP7 doesnt need high specs and dual core gizmos. Look at any video online and it runs all smooth without a hiccup.

I traded up my Omnia 7 and got myself a HTC Sensation, had a SGS2 before that too. None of those impress me any more than my mid range Omnia 7 did. Omnia operated smoother, had more useful functionality to me and i didnt have to worry about my battery life nearly half as much. It was also alot more pleasant to use.

SGS2 is a great phone. But including me and some of my friends that have SGS2 they wish they had WP7 on it because its easier to use, better battery life, more stable and its clean, its not a mess where one thing works and the other doesnt.

I was really hoping to see the Focus S in the EU here. Cause its a really what i want but cant get. So Lumia 800 is next in the line. Love the Titan but once you go to an amoled screen. You dont really wanna go back to use an SLCD, IPS LCD or any other LCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 micko2009

I have the Lumia 800 around 10 days now, I messed around with my mates omnia 7 so knew id like the windows platform.

The Lumia 800 (cyan) is by far one of the best looking phones out there right now, moved from my old iphone 3G so its a welcomed change. The apps like nokia maps/drive run well and the rest of the UI is easy to figure out once you give it time... Love the Screen, love the feel of the phone and the live tiles pop right out at you.

However... I feel like Nokia should have waited till the new year until they released the lumia. The phone obviously wasn't tested fully! I like many others are suffering from the battery issues where the phone in some cases is lasting about 4-6 hours on light enough use, the standby time seems to be good but once you start using it heavily you can feel the battery draining, the fear sets in. In general the more charge cycles I give the battery it seems to be getting marginally better.

I hope the software patch comes quickly cause I want Nokia and Microsoft to succeed, they needed to nail the Lumia 800 from launch and its been tainted by the battery issue. Seems alot of people are having the same issue on the Nokia forum aswell. I'll be returning it if its not sorted with the update, in my eyes any phone needs to last at least a 12 hour day.

I have the battery bug on my Lumia, mine only charges up to 970mah out of 1500. They did say anyone with the battery bug could either wait for the update or send it back, I decided to wait. Other than that in very pleased with the Lumia. :-)

You won't have to wait to much longer for the battery fix. The update is coming out on the 12th of this month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

no fm transmitter?? Shame, stick with N8 for now...

no fm transmitter?? Shame, stick with N8 for now...

I bloody hate them things. Their a waste of battery and time. Bluetooth music streaming is less painful. No interference

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I bloody hate them things. Their a waste of battery and time. Bluetooth music streaming is less painful. No interference

My car radio, and home hifi, kitchen radios are not bluetooth enabled though.

My car radio, and home hifi, kitchen radios are not bluetooth enabled though.

Well thats a bummer. But car stereos with bt a2dp are quite cheap these days. You can pick one up even from lidl under a 100 euro.

But speaking from experience. I used to think FM streaming was better cause you had a radio everywhere.

But since i left the N97 and started using bt for it its alot less hasle and its easier on the battery. The constant interferences used to be a head wrecker too.

Got bt audio streaming supported headunit in the car and bought a belkin bt reciever for my home cinema. Plug that in through aux and i can stream from the phone to the home cinema system :)

Simples :)

On another note:

Any one know does the Lumia 800 uses an embedded msd card or actual flash storage?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Any one know does the Lumia 800 uses an embedded msd card or actual flash storage?

Its actual flash, you can have a look at the innards here yourself.
    https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=395988&fcc_id=%27LJPA
    Then go down and click on internal.

TBi wrote: »
    Hopefully it won't be a 4.7" behemoth like the Galaxy Nexus. :)

4.3" behemoth!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Does anyone have any feedback (good and expecially bad) on the camera on this yoke? I have a HD7 at the moment, but the camera is woeful, will be upgrading as soon as the Lumia 800 comes out (depending on carrier availability)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 micko2009

the focus is abit twitchy and it doesn't produce great results on automode.. It Does take decent pictures though compared to other phones I've seen..

I can't find too much info online about the Lumia camera. Theres a page review here with some examples.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_800-review-686p6.php

If you come across any more, post them up.. Would like to know about the camera settings for different environments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Er no. Its 4.65" see http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_nexus-4219.php
    TBi wrote: »
    4.3" behemoth!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Vodafone have just announced that they are getting this handset in - just saw a few tweets from them about it. At least now I won't have to change operators.

• Advertisement

elderlemon wrote: »

I was referring to the Lumia 900. I said i hope it wasn't as big and it turned out to be 4.3".

hadoken13 wrote: »
    Vodafone have just announced that they are getting this handset in - just saw a few tweets from them about it. At least now I won't have to change operators.

It better not be exclusive to them or that is going to be a big fail.

Problem with vodafone is that **** all people wanna stick with em or join them cause their plans are the most expensive unless you call abroad a lot

It better not be exclusive to them or that is going to be a big fail.
    Word is that it will be exclusive, although only for a very short period.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭simi956

Lumia 800 is not exclusive to VF, As O2 told me the handset will be available before the end of January

simi956 wrote: »
    Lumia 800 is not exclusive to VF, As O2 told me the handset will be available before the end of January
    Did O2 specify the 800 or were they talking about the 710 ?

simi956 wrote: »

Networks tell a lot of things. Doesnt mean their always right. Vodafone is quite big in Europe and they have huge buying power. Hence why a lot of the time they have exclusive phones and have a very good smartphone range.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ozymandius

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭simi956

On O2 the Lumia 800 passed there testing on the 16th Dec, see http://community.o2online.ie/t5/General-Handset-Questions/Handsets-Coming-Soon-to-O2/td-p/327956 Also when I was in chatting to the guys in 3 there also said the end of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

Do nokia have any version of android market to go with this as all phones are about apps now, i went from an n8 to a htc sensation and there is no comparison between ovi and android market so nokia need something or people will not buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

You clearly don't know what your taking about with a statement like that! The Nokia Lumia is on Windows OS, therefore it uses Windows Marketplace and nothing else!

Android Market is for the Android OS only!

N8/Symbian has Nokia Store!

Windows Phone(Lumia etc) has Windows Marketplace!

Advertisement