Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The SPIN Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Yeah love that, it's quite repetitive during the week but at the weekend's especially the shows to gear you up for a night out are pretty good for fresh stuff. Although I sometimes forget it's a UK station and they are probably gearing people up every night it's UK after all. Not the usual Friday, Saturday, Sunday over here.

Maybe they feel it's time to give someone else a turn, I mean they dropped Johnny Vaughan in the high of his presenting. It took some balls to do that, considering Moyles and Vaughan had a rivalry in the London audience anyway. Vaughan was very like Ray Foley in a way actually he was naturally funny. Listening to Capital this morning and they were introducing the travel and it was simply "...and now you travel with Sinta Templeton" Vaughan would literally rip the piss out of her for about 2 minutes before he'd let her do the travel.

So I don't think Capital are too worried about cutting some of their best presenters, especially the shuffling Andi Durrant was put through in 2012. He shunted all over the place, and that's exactly what the audience was asking for a show like his. I'm not a listener of his type of music, but I've heard him and he's good, and I guess it's not like Ireland when you've got 70,000 listeners or whatever. It's upwards 6 million so you're still connecting with people.

I'd be surprised if Capital thought that it was someone else's turn to do the big shows as James has only had his evening show for a year. Roberto used to do mid-mornings and Rich did evenings.
    The night shows on Friday and Saturday are very much different to Will's shows because they are seen as the main "going out" nights in the UK as well although student nights happen throughout the week. Capital have put "in the mix" shows on as a result.

I didn't hear Johnny and Lisa on Breakfast as I was very much a devoted Moyles listener but I heard great things about him so it's a shame that he isn't still on so I can listen as I love banter between newsreaders and presenters to show the personalities of the newsreaders.

I have heard Andi's show and I love it. I love most of the music on his show and he is a good presenter so I thought it was unfair that he kept jumping between time slots. Now that Capital are in the mix on Friday and Saturday nights, his dance-centric show isn't as necessary at 11pm so 12 is a suitable time IMO and is perfect for listeners like me who get a bit bored with the same songs on loop all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

smurfs5 wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if Capital thought that it was someone else's turn to do the big shows as James has only had his evening show for a year. Roberto used to do mid-mornings and Rich did evenings.
    The night shows on Friday and Saturday are very much different to Will's shows because they are seen as the main "going out" nights in the UK as well although student nights happen throughout the week. Capital have put "in the mix" shows on as a result.

I didn't hear Johnny and Lisa on Breakfast as I was very much a devoted Moyles listener but I heard great things about him so it's a shame that he isn't still on so I can listen as I love banter between newsreaders and presenters to show the personalities of the newsreaders.

I have heard Andi's show and I love it. I love most of the music on his show and he is a good presenter so I thought it was unfair that he kept jumping between time slots. Now that Capital are in the mix on Friday and Saturday nights, his dance-centric show isn't as necessary at 11pm so 12 is a suitable time IMO and is perfect for listeners like me who get a bit bored with the same songs on loop all day.

Roberto was an awful presenter and didn't suit the format at all he's much better on Heart now and that's a better style. I actually heard an air-check of Capital in 2009 and my god have they come light-years since, their imaging is definitely one of the best in the business compared to their old one where some of their sweepers were literally sung 10/20 seconds.

I'm not into much dance music so I wouldn't make it my business to listen but if it came on unbeknownst to me i'd listen away! I'm sure there's some pod-casts of Vaughan around. I wonder when'll hear some news on Eoghan McDermott? I'm banking on BBC Radio 1 for him anyway. No other reason he'd leave a London drive time show to go lower down the ranks.

Roberto was an awful presenter and didn't suit the format at all he's much better on Heart now and that's a better style. I actually heard an air-check of Capital in 2009 and my god have they come light-years since, their imaging is definitely one of the best in the business compared to their old one where some of their sweepers were literally sung 10/20 seconds.

I'm not into much dance music so I wouldn't make it my business to listen but if it came on unbeknownst to me i'd listen away! I'm sure there's some pod-casts of Vaughan around. I wonder when'll hear some news on Eoghan McDermott? I'm banking on BBC Radio 1 for him anyway. No other reason he'd leave a London drive time show to go lower down the ranks.

Yeah, their imaging is brilliant right now.

I'm hoping Eoghan goes to Radio 1. He would fit in perfectly there. Unfortunately, after the recent schedule changes, I would be surprised if he was signed now. I'm holding out some hope though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

Firstly; this is the SPIN thread, not the Capital FM thread - (Which, if I wanted I could go to DigitalSpy's radio forum!!).

Don't want to start a fight but...

1. Capital's imaging has come down in the last 3 years, i put together an aircheck of 'The Hit Music Network's" (Trent, Ram, LS, Capital, Red Dragon) Imaging and I thought (with the sung jingles from IQ Beats) it sounded 10x better. These jingles have sadly been phased out, and they use these strange electronic-sings for the breakfast show. The TOH was much better when Howard Ritchie came on and said "NOW... from your number one hit music station, back to the hits...FASTER!" which then went into a 30 second ramp (Salty Dog) (which the presenter talked over) and ended with a sing. Now the TOH is quite boring.... on drive all it says is the local presenter's name eg. "Leigh Jones....Capital"
    And every sweeper I hear on Saturday and Sunday just says : "The weekend is on... Capital"

2. You're right that James is a great presenter but I always thought his show (and personality) is aimed towards women. His constant use of "hair-straighteners o'clock" and putting up a picture of him holding a water bottle when talking about the song "drinking from the bottle" makes me cringe.
    Don't get me wrong, he is great at what he does (considering the length of Capital links), maybe its just my taste...

James 'Bassman' Bassam is in his forties and needs to be moved to Heart. He is too old to fit the Capital brand and the fact they gave him a nickname won't cover-it up easily.

BTW. We should start a Capital thread...!!

Gavin :-)

gavindowd wrote: »
    Firstly; this is the SPIN thread, not the Capital FM thread - (Which, if I wanted I could go to DigitalSpy's radio forum!!).

Don't want to start a fight but...

1. Capital's imaging has come down in the last 3 years, i put together an aircheck of 'The Hit Music Network's" (Trent, Ram, LS, Capital, Red Dragon) Imaging and I thought (with the sung jingles from IQ Beats) it sounded 10x better. These jingles have sadly been phased out, and they use these strange electronic-sings for the breakfast show. The TOH was much better when Howard Ritchie came on and said "NOW... from your number one hit music station, back to the hits...FASTER!" which then went into a 30 second ramp (Salty Dog) (which the presenter talked over) and ended with a sing. Now the TOH is quite boring.... on drive all it says is the local presenter's name eg. "Leigh Jones....Capital"
    And every sweeper I hear on Saturday and Sunday just says : "The weekend is on... Capital"

2. You're right that James is a great presenter but I always thought his show (and personality) is aimed towards women. His constant use of "hair-straighteners o'clock" and putting up a picture of him holding a water bottle when talking about the song "drinking from the bottle" makes me cringe.
    Don't get me wrong, he is great at what he does (considering the length of Capital links), maybe its just my taste...

James 'Bassman' Bassam is in his forties and needs to be moved to Heart. He is too old to fit the Capital brand and the fact they gave him a nickname won't cover-it up easily.

BTW. We should start a Capital thread...!!

Gavin :-)

Well maybe we should change the name to Capital and SPIN or else a general CHR thread.

I have to say I disagree with the fact that the sung jingles were in anyway remotely good. They sound too out-dated and old, they were being used in the early days of Z100. They all sound like they've been made on an electronic fisher price laptop too. A thirty second top of hour link for a CHR station is ridiculous in my opinion, it's called WAFFLING and trying to fill time. People that listen to a music station don't want to hear presenters talking ****e. I enjoy the TOH as it quick, effective and always perfectly timed, whether that has anything to do with the fact they pre-record most of their links I don't know. But if you think about it with their short news does it seem like the right thing to come out of the short news into a ramp of nearly half the length of the bulletin. Their imaging is slick and fast exactly what you want from a HIT music station, most listeners wouldn't be able to tell you what a jingle, sweeper or liner is. For us radio heads it's the core of the station the branding for everybody else they subconsciously have it stamped in their brain every-time a song ends.

I don't think James is gearing towards women at all to be honest, it just goes to show how backward Ireland is when it comes to taking care of yourself. I know loads of males that straighten their hair, and i'm not sure if he is gay but gay presenters often have the edge with their on air personalities.

Regarding the Bassman I don't know if it was you that commented on the Digital Spy forum but you seem to be more or less quoting what was said there. It's been said before on this forum about Steve K that he's a bit old for SPIN I completely disagree to be honest he may be older than the rest of the on air presenters but the has crafted the 10 SPIN hit's format perfectly and the rest of the 10 SPIN hit's presenters just follow his lead. People who are listening for music don't care what age the presenter is, as long as he's playing the hit's and a bit of wit here and there he's perfect where he is.

By the way i'm not trying to start a fight either I completely respect your opinion too and am only giving mine it is a forum after all.

Opening a general CHR thread now.

Cookie.

Okay, the 30 second thing might have been exagurated... it was 15 seconds.

Take a quick listen to the sound of this.....http://soundcloud.com/stevereed-1/friday-night-hit-mix-october

IMHO: Incredible up-beat start to another CHR hour! - With personality too!!

By the way... for your enjoyment, here's an aircheck of James Barr : http://soundcloud.com/radioassistant/20121020-2000-2100-capitalfm

Sort-of in the mix, love that bit of Robyn S!

gavindowd wrote: »
    By the way... for your enjoyment, here's an aircheck of James Barr : http://soundcloud.com/radioassistant/20121020-2000-2100-capitalfm

Sort-of in the mix, love that bit of Robyn S!

Ooo like that actually Howard sound's good. But what an awful and unoriginal name for the show if i'm honest :D

I've heard that air-check before, he's brilliant he sounds effortless and like he's really enjoying himself.

Well maybe we should change the name to Capital and SPIN or else a general CHR thread.

I have to say I disagree with the fact that the sung jingles were in anyway remotely good. They sound too out-dated and old, they were being used in the early days of Z100. They all sound like they've been made on an electronic fisher price laptop too. A thirty second top of hour link for a CHR station is ridiculous in my opinion, it's called WAFFLING and trying to fill time. People that listen to a music station don't want to hear presenters talking ****e. I enjoy the TOH as it quick, effective and always perfectly timed, whether that has anything to do with the fact they pre-record most of their links I don't know. But if you think about it with their short news does it seem like the right thing to come out of the short news into a ramp of nearly half the length of the bulletin. Their imaging is slick and fast exactly what you want from a HIT music station, most listeners wouldn't be able to tell you what a jingle, sweeper or liner is. For us radio heads it's the core of the station the branding for everybody else they subconsciously have it stamped in their brain every-time a song ends.

I don't think James is gearing towards women at all to be honest, it just goes to show how backward Ireland is when it comes to taking care of yourself. I know loads of males that straighten their hair, and i'm not sure if he is gay but gay presenters often have the edge with their on air personalities.

Regarding the Bassman I don't know if it was you that commented on the Digital Spy forum but you seem to be more or less quoting what was said there. It's been said before on this forum about Steve K that he's a bit old for SPIN I completely disagree to be honest he may be older than the rest of the on air presenters but the has crafted the 10 SPIN hit's format perfectly and the rest of the 10 SPIN hit's presenters just follow his lead. People who are listening for music don't care what age the presenter is, as long as he's playing the hit's and a bit of wit here and there he's perfect where he is.

By the way i'm not trying to start a fight either I completely respect your opinion too and am only giving mine it is a forum after all.

Opening a general CHR thread now.

Cookie.

Steve is a great presenter and you're right that he has mastered the 10 SPIN Hits format so he is fine in his slot right now. Overall, I think the SPIN schedule is quite strong at the moment.

Also, just got bored of the music on Becki's show and James Barr was on a break so I tuned into SPIN SW's version of TRL and oh god it is awful. I think it might have been a cover presenter but I switched off after the first link. Obviously things haven't changed much.

Cooper was covering for Ryan on Fully Charged on Friday and he sounded really good with Tracy. The two of them were great together.
    It's good that SPIN have a cover presenter who has an on-air rapport with the co-presenter because previously, I didn't think SPIN had any male presenter who could cover for Ryan until Cooper came along.
    It's also nice to know that Tracy is such a good presenter and that she can carry the show herself because Ryan does most of the links usually even though her timing was just as good.

• Advertisement

ANOTHER big screw-up on SPIN just now.

Some Aussie called Nick Kay is in for Paul right now and he was going well until he went into the ads and halfway through the second ad, the jingle due to be played after the ads finished began and Ed Sheeran started playing over the top of the ads. SPIN TV isn't on but I can picture someone running into the studio to fix the problem.

I wonder where Martin is? This has been his slot for the past few weeks while Paul is away. Or even Riyadh or Cooper?

Who is Nick Kay never heard him anywhere before?

Me neither. He's Australian and I didn't know why he was on or who he was until he namechecked himself. Interesting choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

TO me it sounds like that 98fm syndicated crap from Seacrest, but obvs this guy aint american

TO me it sounds like that 98fm syndicated crap from Seacrest, but obvs this guy aint american

It could be but I can't understand how there was no one else available. Perhaps this guy is being given a go and lives in Ireland. Two hours on a Sunday and they couldn't get any of Riyadh, Martin, Nikki, Shona, Claire Flynn, Cooper or even Ryan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

It could be but I can't understand how there was no one else available. Perhaps this guy is being given a go and lives in Ireland. Two hours on a Sunday and they couldn't get any of Riyadh, Martin, Nikki, Shona, Claire Flynn, Cooper or even Ryan?

Yeah seems fair odd, maybe it's someone new on the station and they're just starting him off with the odd few shifts here and there.

He did actually suit the format but it sounded odd and out of place because it's Aussie then Irish person straight before and afterwards

Yeah seems fair odd, maybe it's someone new on the station and they're just starting him off with the odd few shifts here and there.

He did actually suit the format but it sounded odd and out of place because it's Aussie then Irish person straight before and afterwards

I love Australian accents so I liked him but with Sarina already on SPIN, unfortunately for him, two Aussies on an Irish station isn't probably something management would go for. He made some mistakes which is ok for a first shift and with some training, he could suit the station quite well as a cover presenter. He could have the best personality in the world but it is hard to let that out under such a format as 10 Spin Hits. A decent start though.

Brian's off all this week so Lauren Kelly is joining Dara Quilty on The Zoo Crew this week.

Brian's off all this week so Lauren Kelly is joining Dara Quilty on The Zoo Crew this week.

She's brilliant, it'd be great if there was money there to have a proper zoo format of three people.

PAULS BACK! YAAAAAY! :D

• Advertisement

PAULS BACK! YAAAAAY! :D

Ha you beat me to it!!!! :D I'm sure he is loving the Irish weather having endured record-breaking temperatures in Oz.
    Great to have him back!!!

Ha you beat me to it!!!! :D I'm sure he is loving the Irish weather having endured record-breaking temperatures in Oz.
    Great to have him back!!!

Was expecting the OZ man again!

This is great altogether. Perfect start to a ****e Sunday :)

Was expecting the OZ man again!

This is great altogether. Perfect start to a ****e Sunday :)

Here comes the first link.....

Haha loved that thing he did at the end of Thrift Shop. Also, I LOVE when Paul uses that jingle, he sounds amazing talking over it.
    Its the one at 1:45 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzLdJAatHJ0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Haha loved that thing he did at the end of Thrift Shop. Also, I LOVE when Paul uses that jingle, he sounds amazing talking over it.
    Its the one at 1:45 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzLdJAatHJ0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Missed the link what did he do? :)

Love that ramp sounds great!!

Missed the link what did he do? :)

Love that ramp sounds great!!

Just at the end of the song, there was a little gap and he said " There's a cute little girl now, wait for it". Then she said a little thing and Paul says "there ya go" and plays the jingle and starts his link. Its the little things......

• Advertisement

Just at the end of the song, there was a little gap and he said " There's a cute little girl now, wait for it". Then she said a little thing and Paul says "there ya go" and plays the jingle and starts his link. Its the little things......

Indeed. I believe his personality and use of imaging and intro's and outro's are secret to success!

They have to be joking. Becki is off for the rest of the week from TRL. Am I missing something here?

They have to be joking. Becki is off for the rest of the week from TRL. Am I missing something here?

That's strange, who's covering? :)

That's strange, who's covering? :)

Don't get too excited. It's Riyadh. When she said last night that she was going to be off for the rest of the week, I was literally staring at the radio willing her to say Paul's name. :(

Don't get too excited. It's Riyadh. When she said last night that she was going to be off for the rest of the week, I was literally staring at the radio willing her to say Paul's name. :(

:( Disapointment.

On another note Steve K was live from DIT today (I think) and I mean to say the audio quality was brilliant. He sounded like was literally in the studio doing the show crystal clear no tin can or echo stuff either.

The work of Technical Paul don't you know!

• Advertisement

Listen to Zoo Crew NOW!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Listen to Zoo Crew NOW!!!

1038 or SW?

What's going on?

wnolan1992 wrote: »

1038 or SW?

What's going on?

It was 1038. Lauren did what they called "The Other Story" and did the news and weather with made-up stories. It was absolutely hilarious, I'm sure it'll be on the podcast. Brian: "Here's SPIN's 5 Word Weather that always seems to be more than 5 words...."
    Lauren : "Windier than your grandad's crack". It mightn't sound funny on here but listen to it on the podcast at the end of the week. The whole thing was so funny. :)

:( Disapointment.

On another note Steve K was live from DIT today (I think) and I mean to say the audio quality was brilliant. He sounded like was literally in the studio doing the show crystal clear no tin can or echo stuff either.

The work of Technical Paul don't you know!

Yeah. I remember seeing him at UCD doing a broadcast from an open day and I felt like going over and asking him for a lesson in presenting! I caught a bit of the DIT broadcast and I did notice how brilliant the sound was.

Yeah. I remember seeing him at UCD doing a broadcast from an open day and I felt like going over and asking him for a lesson in presenting! I caught a bit of the DIT broadcast and I did notice how brilliant the sound was.

He is king! :rolleyes:

It's Dara's turn to have a week off so Brian and Lauren are doing The Zoo Crew on SPIN 1038 this week.

I've gotta say that Lauren and Brian are so good together. Last night was one of my favourite Zoo Crew shows ever. It was absolutely hilarious, The Other Story was so funny and there was brilliant banter between the two of them throughout. Dara and Brian seem to have different personalities and I think the show would work so much better with Brian and Lauren IMO. As I've said, it's a shame Lauren was on a hiatus when Claire Beck left because she would have been the perfect replacement and then Dara could have kept The Lock In and Becki could have done mid-mornings. Oh what a shame........

The Other Story with Lauren is next on The Zoo Crew on 1038. Make sure you listen NOW, its gonna be brilliant!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The Other Story with Lauren is next on The Zoo Crew on 1038. Make sure you listen NOW, its gonna be brilliant!!!

Dang, did I miss it? Tuned in at about 7:50 when they were playing The Script?

Must say, 1038's studio is nice. :)

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Dang, did I miss it? Tuned in at about 7:50 when they were playing The Script?

Must say, 1038's studio is nice. :)

It really is.

Yeah you just missed it :( That was the first song after it. It's on at 7:45. Don't miss it tomorrow night! :)

Must tune in tomorrow night too missed it again! SPIN 1038, Capital and Q Music are three of my favourite studios!

• Advertisement

Right, don't miss it tonight. "The Other Story" is on at 7:45 on SPIN 1038. :)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO missed it :(

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO missed it :(

Set a reminder/alarm on your phone- 7:45 tomorrow.

In summary, Lauren was reading a story about how a lot of men have unsatisfactory sex lives and they said that two ways to improve it were hunting and chopping wood :D
    Also for the donut, Brian just said "words, words, words, no ones listening to me, words" :)
    The Zoo Crew's 5 Word Weather was "Not as windy as Taylor Swift"
    Then, "This is the home of some stunners- Steve K, some not very good looking people- Dara, and some absolute mingers- Fully Charged" :D

LOVE the ongoing digs at Fully Charged :)

This is one of the best features the Zoo Crew has ever done IMO. Brian and Lauren are SO funny and brilliant together.

Set a reminder/alarm on your phone- 7:45 tomorrow.

In summary, Lauren was reading a story about how a lot of men have unsatisfactory sex lives and they said that two ways to improve it were hunting and chopping wood :D
    Also for the donut, Brian just said "words, words, words, no ones listening to me, words" :)
    The Zoo Crew's 5 Word Weather was "Not as windy as Taylor Swift"
    Then, "This is the home of some stunners- Steve K, some not very good looking people- Dara, and some absolute mingers- Fully Charged" :D

LOVE the ongoing digs at Fully Charged :)

This is one of the best features the Zoo Crew has ever done IMO. Brian and Lauren are SO funny and brilliant together.

Remember the last time Brian and Dara started a slagging war with Fully Charged? Tracy went to management. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Remember the last time Brian and Dara started a slagging war with Fully Charged? Tracy went to management. :rolleyes:
    Ha really?! How did we find that out? What did they say that was so offensive?

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Ha really?! How did we find that out? What did they say that was so offensive?

Basically they rang Tracy's dad on air not sure if it was live, they boss man rang them and left a voicemail for Dara saying they'd stepped over the mark and they needed to have a meeting about it.

Then following night they apologised to Tracy on air and the following week her and Brian presented the show together. It was great radio for the few days it was going lots of Fully Charged liners were replaced with them taking the mick!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ImZara

Who is that girl on with Brian?

ImZara wrote: »
    Who is that girl on with Brian?

Her name is mentioned about 5 times on this page. :rolleyes: It's Lauren Kelly.

Spin have lost some listeners (about 11,000 I think)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 ImZara

Her name is mentioned about 5 times on this page. :rolleyes: It's Lauren Kelly.

Let me reword the above - What is her experience? Where did she come from!? Never heard of her in my life :o

It's actually showing Brian to be a weaker presenter than I thought. They don't sound very good together imo.

Advertisement