Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasing English Influence

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The sooner the English "assimilate" here and everywhere else they are and the Irish "assimilate" everywhere they are and every other nationality does the same perhaps this them and us mentality will die out.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

wow...

maybe its time to make everything in ireland for irish only.

we can hang signs in windows saying "irish only"

or would "no color's" suit you better?

grow up and realise the whole shíte against england is over. sadly, you were born 100 years too late.

There is still certainly a time and place for nationalism and pride in our independence. I feel that out national heritage and culture needs to be preserved and developed, I also feel that patriotism and National pride has died a death in recent years and needs to be preserved-look at the French or even the Brits, they all showcase their pride in their own way.

But of course the whole "F**k the Brits" mentality needs to be banished, we have to be able to show we are a mature civilised country on a global front that still respects the struggle of those who have gone before is who fought for our freedom. That means preserving some level of Irishness and national pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

akkadian wrote: »
    p.s We are not Europe either. We need to clean all these charlatans out of here. Give up your over-indulgent, piggy greed and accept a poorer lifestyle for a while.

I know many of you are happy to piss all over Daniel O'Connel's grave, and Michael Collins, and Cosgrave's etc. but I'm afraid I'm going to have to try and stop u.

First step in accepting a poorer lifestyle: disconnect your modem please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

They're un-Irish.

Look out! There's Red Tops under the bed!

But seriously, while I disagree with some things you say I do agree with others. High street shops, boots, debenhams, supermarkets like tescos, UK papers. There is too much of "that sort of thing".

Still, we live in a somewhat free society so money talks and people make their choices.

I'm going off in another direction and going to do my own thing. I'll let others worry about what crap is on X Factor, or get bottled because you disagree with some idiot both supporting over paid pre madonnas who play a foreign game (non political here) in a foreign country.

Immerse yourself in it, or don't, it's your choice. I know enough about Irish people to know making an issue about the things you're criticizing will only make people here more interested in them if anything.

I do ramble after the witching hour....

• Advertisement

:o

I can't believe I posted a half serious reply, mistakenly thought I was over in Politics :rolleyes: :o

I never asked for the Sun, The Mirror and all the other crappy tabloid papers here. They're un-Irish.

Well don't buy them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Frankly, I'm more concerned with the increasing influence of idiots in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I wonder does this guy get the irony that his messae in written in English?

johngalway wrote: »
    Look out! There's Red Tops under the bed!

But seriously, while I disagree with some things you say I do agree with others. High street shops, boots, debenhams, supermarkets like tescos, UK papers. There is too much of "that sort of thing".

Still, we live in a somewhat free society so money talks and people make their choices.

I'm going off in another direction and going to do my own thing. I'll let others worry about what crap is on X Factor, or get bottled because you disagree with some idiot both supporting over paid pre madonnas who play a foreign game (non political here) in a foreign country.

Immerse yourself in it, or don't, it's your choice. I know enough about Irish people to know making an issue about the things you're criticizing will only make people here more interested in them if anything.

I do ramble after the witching hour....

Summed that up quite nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Wot you talkin' 'bout guv?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I know many of you are happy to piss all over Daniel O'Connel's grave, and Michael Collins, and Cosgrave's etc.

Whatever about the rest of your post - and your sentiment is understandable and widely shared even if it definitely needs a bit more plámás to it - Daniel O'Connell isn't much of a hero in the annals of Irish history.

1. It was O'Connell who coined the phrase 'West Briton' in 1832, offering himself as one:
    "The people of Ireland are ready to become a portion of the Empire, provided they be made so in reality and not in name alone; they are ready to become a kind of West Briton if made so in benefits and justice; but if not, we are Irishmen again."

2. It was O'Connell who sold the 40-shilling freeholders down the swanny as part of the deal which allowed him and his allies to sit in the British parliament under the Catholic Relief Act 1829 ("Catholic Emancipation"). Over 100,000 of them were disenfranchised when the property requirement to be eligible to vote was increased from 40 shillings to a massive £10 (in order to keep a check on the political power of Catholics).

3. And it was Daniel O'Connell, the same guy who professed to be against violence to achieve a political aim, who was entirely comfortable fighting for the British Empire under the guise of the Yeomanry against the United Irishmen and Defenders in 1798.

All in all, the guy was not Ireland's finest hour.

Dionysus wrote: »
    Whatever about the rest of your post - and your sentiment is understandable and widely shared even if it definitely needs a bit more plámás to it - Daniel O'Connell isn't much of a hero in the annals of Irish history.

1. It was O'Connell who coined the phrase 'West Briton' in 1832, offering himself as one:
    "The people of Ireland are ready to become a portion of the Empire, provided they be made so in reality and not in name alone; they are ready to become a kind of West Briton if made so in benefits and justice; but if not, we are Irishmen again."

2. It was O'Connell who sold the 40-shilling freeholders down the swanny as part of the deal which allowed him and his allies to sit in the British parliament under the Catholic Relief Act 1829 ("Catholic Emancipation"). Over 100,000 of them were disenfranchised when the property requirement to be eligible to vote was increased from 40 shillings to a massive £10 (in order to keep a check on the political power of Catholics).

3. And it was Daniel O'Connell, the same guy who professed to be against violence to achieve a political aim, who was entirely comfortable fighting for the British Empire under the guise of the Yeomanry against the United Irishmen and Defenders in 1798.

All in all, the guy was not Ireland's finest hour. John Mitchel had the measure of him better than most.

Facts are like statistics - you can prove anything with them, but ultimately, they are meaningless.

:D

johngalway wrote: »
    ...High street shops...

Ahem.

Facts are like statistics - you can prove anything with them, but ultimately, they are meaningless.

:D

:confused:

I don't think so. O'Connell has to be one of the most over played "patriots" in Irish history. He was not an ideal supporter of Irish independence by any means.

segaBOY wrote: »
    :confused:

I don't think so. O'Connell has to be one of the most over played "patriots" in Irish history. He was not an ideal supporter of Irish independence by any means.

I was taking the p*ss. Didn't you see the smiley face?!?!?!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm highly disturbed by the increased Brit influence in Ireland. There are many English people in Ireland that are being assimilated into our culture and they're fine with me but

I never asked for the Sun, The Mirror and all the other crappy tabloid papers here. They're un-Irish. And most importantly, they're doing exactly what I'd expect Brit things to do: They're putting Ireland down.

All I see is Curry's with an add rewarding people with cash when France get knocked out of the world cup. Robbie Keane even admitted that he'd do the same thing - strikers instinct. France is a republic like ours (at least it was like we were). They've only ever been a a friend to Ireland and even sent ships over to help fight the English once upon a time.

I just saw the latest Sun add. It featured Kevin Moran and Niall Quinn talking about France not being good enough to be in the world cup. You sheeple that think this isn't propaganda had better wake up. This is the same Sun that backed the Torries. They'rr meddlers.

There is not a significant right-wing English influence in this country that is very dangerous. I'm not saying the Herald (which I read is perfect) but it's better than the imported tabloid crap.

And NO. It's not "born here, bred here, read here". You people who buy into this need to wake up. We are not the UK. I'm sure the Sun and the Mirror and D4 would like us to be but we're not, and you're going to have to trample on my dead body to change that? Comprende?

p.s We are not Europe either. We need to clean all these charlatans out of here. Give up your over-indulgent, piggy greed and accept a poorer lifestyle for a while.

I know many of you are happy to piss all over Daniel O'Connel's grave, and Michael Collins, and Cosgrave's etc. but I'm afraid I'm going to have to try and stop u.

So you're saying... what? That football ads are bad for the country? Tabloids are bad for the country? Xenophobia is good?
    Give up your over-indulgent, piggy greed and accept a poorer lifestyle for a while.

Ha. You've described the Irish to a tee. The irony of you hating tabloids while spouting textbook tabloid opinions is interesting to say the least.

Just to complete the picture, are you an IRA sympathiser by any chance?

I was taking the p*ss. Didn't you see the smiley face?!?!?!!!!

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Before I was born.
    The dead dont rule the living.
    Its ours now.
    Take a breath, take a step into the future

Ahem.

I know :o It was (though this won't fly retrospectively) intentional and I was supposed to add a note on it after wards. Not only do I ramble at this hour, I'm also half asleep :o

That's my excuse and I'm a stickin' to it :D

• Advertisement

Confab wrote: »
    Just to complete the picture, are you an IRA sympathiser by any chance? Carbombs at fifty paces maybe?

I can see the intelligence level of this discussion has just risen exponentially.

Wot you talkin' 'bout guv?

Well...erm 'e's tawkin' abaht err ya now wot' a meen (best estuary English)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I can see the intelligence level of this discussion has just risen exponentially.

It's called countertrolling, and it never works :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

It im wiv yer andbag tracey!

Confab wrote: »
    It's called countertrolling, and it never works :(

Counter trolls should build a bridge and... oh, wait, no.. that won't work at all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

If OP isn't a troll, I'll eat my hat....or cringe shamefully...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

increasing english/british influence :eek:

actually this country is more influenced now by britain than any time during the occupation

we watch british tv (bbc, itv, sky)
    we shop at british stores (tesco, boots, argos, currys, dixons)
    we watch/support and play british sports (soccer, rugby)

Lads, who gives a f*ck??

I bleedin love watchin SOCCER and RUGBY on SKY TV!

I love watchin quality British tv and British tv stations. Meanwhile back in Gotham City.... RTE is sh1te!

I love shopping in Tesco, its cheap and the Tesco Brand products are actually nice! It has everything i want in a supermarket!

You may be completely right, but who says a British influence is all bad? There's no way the OP was sitting writing that message using an Irish-made laptop, wearing clothes exclusively made in Ireland whilst playing the Tin-Whistle and dancing an Irish Dance.

We live in the 21st Century, a global marketplace where i can drive my Japanese car to McDonalds and buy an Uncle Sam burger while i use my Finnish mobile phone to talk to my friend in Botswana!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

the op has a point in there somewhere. i cannot for the life of me fathom why anyone purchases those so called newspapers. many of them in their english editions have serious anti irish undertones.

• Advertisement

Oh. but i DO hate the British Tabloids (but i hate irish ones too)

Advertisement