Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia Lumia 800

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

FGR wrote: »
    I downloaded the GB Country Variant and have to say I was impressed! Switched back to 7.5 though given that I did not have access to the Nokia Collection for some peculiar reason. Maybe it's because I'm in Ireland with an Irish Live account?

Weird. I'm on an Irish live account and the Nokia Collection is there for me.

Another plus for me is the MMS not sending is fixed. Don't know if it was the unbranded firmware or 7.8 itself that fixed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Anyone know if OTA podcasts or web browser text search work on 7.8?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭vectra

OK
    What is the verdict on 7.8?

If it is better, then why?
    I have a 6 week old Lumia and don't really want to do much with it in case it goes belly up and warranty would be defunkt )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

The Bluetooth Share feature is a big addition. I an changing my homescreen layout so many times since I updated its scary. When you Flash the Internet sharing option works. Made a quick vid last night on how to flash to 7.8>>> http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=GB#/watch?v=SNizElJfkEw

If you have to send it back for repair you can just flash to the old 7.5 again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Quick question... If I flash 7.8 now, will I need the official update at all? Is there any advantage to waiting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

kaizersoze wrote: »

Weird. I'm on an Irish live account and the Nokia Collection is there for me.

Another plus for me is the MMS not sending is fixed. Don't know if it was the unbranded firmware or 7.8 itself that fixed it.

You didn't give it enough time. It usually is absent in the start. Once the marketplace picks up for it's a Nokia phone it adds the Nokia collection automatically

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

How do I run 7.8 (sorry)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Hmmm, I'm having a lot of trouble even installing Nokia Care Suite still. When I try, it flashed up a link box with the address of the C++ Redistributable application, to prompt me to install it, but when I try, it's like the installation fails. It just stops (or appears to at least) and goes off the screen and that's it. If I try to run the NCS installer again, the same thing happens. However, it is listed in my list of installed applications in Control Panel. There's loads of them actually, 2005, 2008, 2010. I have also installed the 64 bit version just in case that's the issue, but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Running Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Dunny wrote: »
    How do I run 7.8 (sorry)

Seriously? Go read the last few pages of this thread. :confused:

Logically, this is a pretty good indication that "Q1 2013" (the projected official release of 7.8) is more likely to mean January than March, amirite?

• Advertisement

Logically, this is a pretty good indication that "Q1 2013" (the projected official release of 7.8) is more likely to mean January than March, amirite?

I wouldn't hold my breath. I'd say Q1 means March at the earliest?!

Ronan H wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold my breath. I'd say Q1 means March at the earliest?!

Even if the firmware is already usable? I don't know much about the industry but how can there be three months worth of development left to do if it's already in the state it is now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

If you have an unlocked generic model i would say you'd get the update in the next 4 weeks. But it could be another 4 - 8 weeks for o2, meteor etc knowing their testing requirements.

Even if the firmware is already usable? I don't know much about the industry but how can there be three months worth of development left to do if it's already in the state it is now?

As Beaver said, it's usually the testing etc. that delays it. The networks fiddle around with the OEM firmware like no mans business and it takes months sometimes to get pushed out to customers...

The Symbian Belle Refresh is a good example. That took forever to get put out through Vodafone.

Hm, I thought I had heard windows themselves were putting this out directly, bypassing the networks. Maybe I'm mistaken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

It's nothing really to do with the readiness of the update. It's more to do with the marketing/sales of the new Windows 8 phones. It's being held back until they get off the ground. Most of them won't be widely available until Feb/March.

When the update proper comes, will that wipe the phone's data too? Is there any advantage to waiting for the official update?

When the update proper comes, will that wipe the phone's data too? Is there any advantage to waiting for the official update?

It wont. That's the advantage. It will preserve your data

It wont. That's the advantage. It will preserve your data

OK, thanks feller. Reckon I'll wait then, just too much risk and not enough advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Marketing, Carrier testing and other such bureaucracy needs to be taken care of.

Plus, just because Nokia has finished creating WP 7.8 ROMs for their phones, doesn't mean HTC, Samsung etc have. Microsoft wants the launch to happen simultaneously across the board.

• Advertisement

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-starts-rolling-out-windows-phone-78-update
    Reports have been flooding in detailing an update for Windows Phone 7.5, which can only mean one thing - Microsoft has begun rolling out Windows Phone 7.8 for those who own previous generation hardware. Windows Phone Central readers, as well as WP7.nl have received notification of an available release on the Lumia 800.

Windows Phone 7.8 is a major update that Microsoft announced alongside Windows Phone 8. The release is to implement new features on legacy hardware, including the new start screen Live Tile layout and other goodies. Those who have managed to receive and apply the 7.8 update have noticed a new splash screen and Xbox Live Tile that are present on Windows Phone 8.

Windows Phone 7.8 Update

According to WP7.nl, the update process for the Lumia 800 includes a number of builds as well as a Nokia update. Reported OS version 7.10.8773 is bumped to 7.10.8779.8, and is then proceeded with the update to 7.10.8783. This then prepares the device for the final update to 7.10. 8858.136. Welcome to almost-Windows Phone 8.

We're yet to get our Windows Phones to register the update, so be sure to let us know if you've received the one in the comments, along with which Windows Phone you're using and carrier (if applicable) you're with.

[Note: This could be a staggered rollout, dependent on carriers and OEMs, so don't get your hopes too high just yet. Microsoft has yet to announce anything official about this occurring, meaning this is still limited to just a few users and phones.]

One word says it all.

Staggered.

Do not begin breath holding yet.

Ronan H wrote: »
    One word says it all.

Staggered.

Do not begin breath holding yet.

It's not there for me yet anyhow. But one way or the other you've got to reason it's not far away for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

It's not there for me yet anyhow. But one way or the other you've got to reason it's not far away for us.

There's no Irish firmwares out yet so don't be expecting it till they at least have one up.

AntiVirus wrote: »

There's no Irish firmwares out yet so don't be expecting it till they at least have one up.

Do remember we are always nearly the last ones to get any sort of tech advancements.

Do remember we are always nearly the last ones to get any sort of tech advancements.

Very true and then the networks aren't the quickest at pushing them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

I bought my young lad one of these for Xmas. I hope this update comes through before Xmas day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Mine is country variant Germany so hopefully will be faster..but I didn't have much of a Headstart with the last update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Only got this phone in the last few days and also happens to be my first "smartphone" so a fairly simple learner question :o

Just downloading a few apps, what is the difference between metrotube & youtube - which one should I use?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

Only got this phone in the last few days and also happens to be my first "smartphone" so a fairly simple learner question :o

Just downloading a few apps, what is the difference between metrotube & youtube - which one should I use?

Thanks in advance
    Pick Metrotube.
    Metrotube is Youtube with a much better interface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

I see online that this has started to roll out. Has anyone tried this yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

topcatcbr wrote: »
    I see online that this has started to roll out. Has anyone tried this yet.

Not yet - but there is a way to force update:

http://www.1800pocketpc.com/how-to-force-update-lumia-wp7-5-to-windows-phone-7-8-tutorial/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Sorry if it's been asked, but my search yielded nothing, I have a strange new icon / notification on my lock screen just below the music controls, best way to describe is a dot with brackets either side of it like ((.)) , anyone know what that is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tommay

calex71 wrote: »
    Sorry if it's been asked, but my search yielded nothing, I have a strange new icon / notification on my lock screen just below the music controls, best way to describe is a dot with brackets either side of it like ((.)) , anyone know what that is ?

Can you see it anywhere here?

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp7/basics/what-do-the-icons-on-my-phone-mean

I found this also: http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-7/196261-help-unknown-icon.html

Looks like what you're describing.

calex71 wrote: »

If its this one it means an app or service is using/checking your location.

http://windowsphone.blogvasion.com/2012/11/what-do-icons-displayed-on-your-windows.html

• Advertisement

Bad news on any one waiting for the update. Nokia have said the updates going out are for pre production models. In other words those ones given to developers and journalists. The roll out won't start till next year.

http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-devices-getting-wp7-8-update-are-pre-productionactual-update-coming-next-year/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Tommay wrote: »

Second link, seems to be exactly the one alright, and I do use whatsapp cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Any screen Capture apps on the marketplace?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tommay

Any screen Capture apps on the marketplace?

Afraid not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

Why do innocuous apps need to access; photo, music and video library's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

mrmeindl wrote: »
    Why do innocuous apps need to access; photo, music and video library's?

No idea but i'm glad I'm asked. A lot of 'free' apps want far too much access to your personal files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Anybody know of a webtext app that works with O2?

Thanks!

keith_d99 wrote: »

Thanks!

None of the webtext apps, i.e. Noelle, Sendu, and the other one I can't remember, seem to be 100% reliable on any network according to what I have seen and heard.

Just install them and run them for a while and you will find out which one works best I guess...

Ro

keith_d99 wrote: »

Thanks!

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055165333?page=134#post_82301127

See here. Cabbage hasn't been doing very well lately

Still getting used to it. Can I put a song as a ringtone? if so, how?

You can, but typically enough, it's WAY more complicated than it should be. You will have to download third party software to edit the file so its no longer than 40 second long, and then of course the file has to be DRM free, and it must be either a MP3 of a WMA file, and it has to be less than a megabyte in size...but if you are happy to do all that, then here you go!

Hmm, did I manage to conceal the sarcasm? :rolleyes:

Eh yeah..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Download "Free Ringtones" from the marketplace.

Search for the song you want and then save it as your ringtone.

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 goat.sniffer

Is there any way of getting a notification for delivery of a text message as opposed to an actual text telling me the text was delivered? I find getting a text for this very annoying. The older Nokia's would have the delivery status embedded in the actual sent text!

thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement