Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭Invincible

Brianne wrote: »
    Yes got the Yola. We paid 1575 for it and could nt believe Emerald stoves were selling it for 1100. Just checked it on Emerald site now but they have no price given for it at the minute.

Hi Brianne,
    I googled Emerald stoves, but nothing showed up. Have you any details for them? Thank's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

Their website is emeraldstoves.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

Hi Ebyr,
    In an average winter week hes burning a mixture of timber and coal 7 days a week approx 10-12hrs a day.He told me hes burning approx 2 bags of coal and a bag of timber.
    Now in the really cold weeks thats upto 3 bags of coal.He mixes between smokeless coal and polish coal plus the timber which costs him e32 every week.
    He also has oil but uses very little,approx e300 a year.
    I think it was just under e1500 but not 100% sure.
    I was just looking at that emerald stoves website posted earlier and they sell a Druid 21kw so prob do a 30kw.Sometimes those websites can do them cheaper as they have lower overheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 amyrose1

Looking for some information on installing a large stove. The house is 3000sq ft and current oil based heating system has difficulty sufficiently heating the upstairs. Looking to get a 3 coil cylinder with approx 30kw boiler also,as we may install a solar panel later for heating the water, 17 radiators to heat. Think we might be looking at the largest stove available and also removing the fireplace. Advice really appreciated. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fitzveit

hi folks
    I have got a systemlex installed with oil burner and solid fuel stove . there are 3 pumps installed 1 for radiators 1 for solid fuel stove and one for hot water which runs off boiler . the problem im having is that when the stove stat starts the stove pump the radiator pump stays off . i have to turn on the boiler at the time clock to stars pump to heat radiators.
    The problem i have is that at night when the stove cools down the oil burner turns on and heats the house which i dont want . Is there any way controling the radiator pump with the stove stat aswell as boiler .
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 fishder

Iam looking to replace my old stanley no 8 range with a multi burning stove with back boiler what sort off money would i be looking at any info appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭shgavman

Sorry if I'm posting a question asked already but there are 141 pages! Maybe we need an entire stoves category! Haha. Maybe even functionality to search within the thread?

Do I need a flue liner? I read that condensation within the flue is the problem if you don't put one in (caused by insufficient draw through the chimney).

Can it be retrofitted if sut/tar/poor draw becomes a problem? It's 8-9 m from bottom of chimney to the top of the flue.

Thanks...and sorry if this has been answered!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 holmum

Really sorry for this long post to a question that may have been answered,but cant find up to date info.
    We have a dilemma. Our last house had an open fire and we were buying coal etc. We found it gave us little heat for the cost of fuel and was dirty to maintain. (Plus I HATED the daily task of cleaning and getting turf in etc.) but loved the look of the fire.
    Moved to a new house, costly gas fire has packed in and our options are this:
    1. Replace with insert stove, seen some lovely stovax stoves, sales guy says they throw out great heat and recommended a 6w, (we have a big room) he says the heat will travel downstairs and that they are much easier on fuel than an open fire. Recommended burning wood.
    2. Replace with insert stove with back boiler: we have 8 double rads downstairs, some rooms have two such as sitting room and kitchen and I am sure we could turn off one in each room so 6 double rads. We have a large downstairs say 1500sqft. Not open plan.
    2 recommended stoves are
    1. Henley Achill boiler stove –
    2. Stratford – Arrow Eb12 i
    We have had a quote for the work and the difference from options 1 and 2 is roughly 2K.Whatever option we go with we will have to buy fuel as we don’t have free turf or anything.
    Concerns re option 1. Will the heat from the stove travel a bit through the house? I know it will give us more heat than open fire, obviously we have to buy fuel but we are informed that the logs won’t be as messy as coal/ turf etc. Sales guy says with burning good logs you could have the emptying of ashes down to a weekly task. (I like the sound of that!)
    Concerns re option 2. I am at home all day with 3 children and may go back to work 2 days a week. My worry with option 2 is that we are going to have to buy serious fuel to heat all the rads, I will be back to taking out ashes daily, bringing in coal and turf and fuelling stove all day to heat the 10-12 rads. I am also concerned if it will actually heat all the rads ( I don’t want to have to top it up by turning on oil, which is going to defeat the purpose) Back of house is south facing and is quite warm during day, it is where I spend a lot of time with kitchen/utility & toy room being located here with the sitting room in the front of the house. We have shed for storage of fuel so that isn’t a problem. One sales guy told us you would save about 10% of oil costs with back boiler (to be honest I though it would be more) Obviously like everyone else our oil costs are getting out of hand, €70 -€80 a week this past while although oil has been on for 4+ hours a day although it has been really cold and we have had no fire etc on in front room. House is insulated to max and holds heat well. The good thing with the boiler stove is that downstairs is going to be heated majority of time and I like my heat! But I don’t like that in the summer if I just wanted to put on a fire in the stove on a chilling evening that it’s going to start heating the rads first when we won’t actually need the heat if you know what I mean. The quote with back boiler means we can only heat one floor at a time, which is fine. I imagine I would turn heat for hour in morning, fire stove up and if necessary turn on heating upstairs only at night. Cost wise if I am spending say €70 a week to heat house at the moment for 4 hours I imagine that with back boiler I can cut it down to 1.5hrs a day, so I reckon oil bill could be cut to €30 a week but am I not going to spend the €40 saved on solid fuel? (bag of coal being €15) Plus have the inconvenience of it.
    I decide one day I am going with boiler stove and the next day I am not. I am really torn but don’t want to make a costly mistake on this.
    Any advice??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

holmum we got a boiler insert stove this winter. Its 17kw Yola totally Irish made, 14 to water and 3 to room. We have 5 large single rads and 2 large double. Now in order to keep rads hot we find coal is best, we burn all smokeless. Timber will burn away too quickly. Saying that we use a lot of coal, more than when we had our open fire. No matter what stove, you will need to empty ashes everyday as pan fills quickly if fire is lighting for a long period. Now we have a double rad in room stove is in and that rad is on all winter and needs to be on as I find the insert is great for rads but you will not get the same heat from stove itself as from open fire. Possibly the ones without a boiler throw out more heat. You know when you sit in front of big open fire and the heat hits you, that does'nt happen with insert as much so you def need rad on in room. Saying that we are really happy. It has a very large firebox, large window which I love and we find very little blackening atall which is another plus. It is a big decision so you do need to get it right. Most people say standalone stoves give more heat. We chose the insert as it suited our room better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 noel6073

Hello Folks, I want your good advice on the best way to have a back boiler stove fitted into an existing fireplace, I want to keep if possible the fireplace that I have and would like the stove sitting out slightly however if I remove the original fireplace hearth it will be sitting lower, is it possible join up another hearth to the one that is there and would this be suitable to have a stove in situe?

I have a 3 bed bungalow, I am thinking of getting the Stanley Erin Stove however this might change. The cylinder is right beside the fireplace for getting the back boiler work done, there is no previous back boiler installed, so it might make the job that bit easier having the cylinder next to it, I am also putting in a new outdoor condenser boiler to replace 40 year old boiler that has had its day, I am also going for this grant for the heating controls hope they are worth it :).

IMAG1885.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 blue100

holmum wrote: »
    Really sorry for this long post to a question that may have been answered,but cant find up to date info.
    We have a dilemma. Our last house had an open fire and we were buying coal etc. We found it gave us little heat for the cost of fuel and was dirty to maintain. (Plus I HATED the daily task of cleaning and getting turf in etc.) but loved the look of the fire.
    Moved to a new house, costly gas fire has packed in and our options are this:
    1. Replace with insert stove, seen some lovely stovax stoves, sales guy says they throw out great heat and recommended a 6w, (we have a big room) he says the heat will travel downstairs and that they are much easier on fuel than an open fire. Recommended burning wood.
    2. Replace with insert stove with back boiler: we have 8 double rads downstairs, some rooms have two such as sitting room and kitchen and I am sure we could turn off one in each room so 6 double rads. We have a large downstairs say 1500sqft. Not open plan.
    2 recommended stoves are
    1. Henley Achill boiler stove –
    2. Stratford – Arrow Eb12 i
    We have had a quote for the work and the difference from options 1 and 2 is roughly 2K.Whatever option we go with we will have to buy fuel as we don’t have free turf or anything.
    Concerns re option 1. Will the heat from the stove travel a bit through the house? I know it will give us more heat than open fire, obviously we have to buy fuel but we are informed that the logs won’t be as messy as coal/ turf etc. Sales guy says with burning good logs you could have the emptying of ashes down to a weekly task. (I like the sound of that!)
    Concerns re option 2. I am at home all day with 3 children and may go back to work 2 days a week. My worry with option 2 is that we are going to have to buy serious fuel to heat all the rads, I will be back to taking out ashes daily, bringing in coal and turf and fuelling stove all day to heat the 10-12 rads. I am also concerned if it will actually heat all the rads ( I don’t want to have to top it up by turning on oil, which is going to defeat the purpose) Back of house is south facing and is quite warm during day, it is where I spend a lot of time with kitchen/utility & toy room being located here with the sitting room in the front of the house. We have shed for storage of fuel so that isn’t a problem. One sales guy told us you would save about 10% of oil costs with back boiler (to be honest I though it would be more) Obviously like everyone else our oil costs are getting out of hand, €70 -€80 a week this past while although oil has been on for 4+ hours a day although it has been really cold and we have had no fire etc on in front room. House is insulated to max and holds heat well. The good thing with the boiler stove is that downstairs is going to be heated majority of time and I like my heat! But I don’t like that in the summer if I just wanted to put on a fire in the stove on a chilling evening that it’s going to start heating the rads first when we won’t actually need the heat if you know what I mean. The quote with back boiler means we can only heat one floor at a time, which is fine. I imagine I would turn heat for hour in morning, fire stove up and if necessary turn on heating upstairs only at night. Cost wise if I am spending say €70 a week to heat house at the moment for 4 hours I imagine that with back boiler I can cut it down to 1.5hrs a day, so I reckon oil bill could be cut to €30 a week but am I not going to spend the €40 saved on solid fuel? (bag of coal being €15) Plus have the inconvenience of it.
    I decide one day I am going with boiler stove and the next day I am not. I am really torn but don’t want to make a costly mistake on this.
    Any advice??

An insert stove with back boiler diverts c.65-75% of heat to radiators. Depending on how much heat is generated by the stove - it may or may not be sufficient for all the rads.

We looked into getting a back boiler insert stove and found that our hot water cylinder was too far away from the fireplace - it would have required massive work to connect the two. Also the system would prioritise the rads nearest the cylinder first, which were all the upstairs radiators, which completed defeated what we were trying to achieve. (Heat downstairs without having to turn on the heat in the whole house.) And the final nail in the coffin was that with most heat diverted to the rads, the stove wasn't going to generate enough direct heat for our room. In the end we got an insert stove without back boiler and heat controls for our radiators (we found out in the process that our heating system was zoned for upstairs and downstairs and we didn't know!). It is working brilliantly! The insert stove throws out way more heat than an open fire and we have turned off the radiators in the sitting room.

You will need to measure your room and see what output you will need from a stove to heat the room there are online calculators for this) and then ensure that there is sufficient heat from the stove for the room as well as the back boiler.

I agree with previous poster - use coal to get max heat generation - and you will have to empty the ash tray everyday. Good luck!

noel6073 wrote: »
    Hello Folks, I want your good advice on the best way to have a back boiler stove fitted into an existing fireplace, I want to keep if possible the fireplace that I have and would like the stove sitting out slightly however if I remove the original fireplace hearth it will be sitting lower, is it possible join up another hearth to the one that is there and would this be suitable to have a stove in situe?

I have a 3 bed bungalow, I am thinking of getting the Stanley Erin Stove however this might change. The cylinder is right beside the fireplace for getting the back boiler work done, there is no previous back boiler installed, so it might make the job that bit easier having the cylinder next to it, I am also putting in a new outdoor condenser boiler to replace 40 year old boiler that has had its day, I am also going for this grant for the heating controls hope they are worth it :).

pg[/IMG][/URL]

I was advised that a wooden fireplace isn't suitable for a stove as the heat can cause it to scorch. Definitely a massive advantage having cylinder beside the fireplace. Also we recently got heat controls and find them brilliant - haven't got a bill yet, but have far less radiators on in the house.

Has anybody come across these? Any feedback? My parents are looking at getting an insert stove, but want a contemporary look and are considering the 6kw version of this stove. I only have experience of Stanley Cara insert, which is more traditional. Would appreciate any views. Thanks.

http://www.bpmsupplies.ie/images/Vitae%20Insert%20Stove/Vitae%20Stoves.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭kerb

Hi All

Lookin for some advise please on what size boiler stove i need

so my house was bulit in 2006 2300 sq foot dormer style insulation is standard spec,
    i currntly have a open fire ( no back boiler ) in living room, oil central heating
    hot water cylinder is up stairs and is about 5 to 6 meters from the open fire.

i want to put boiler stove where open fire is this room is 5 x 5 meters long
    i have a total of 16 rads in the house and they are these sizes

4 x 5 foot double rads
    3 x 4 foot double rads
    2 x 3 foot double rads
    1 x 2 foot double rads
    2 x 3 foot single rad
    3 x 2 foot single rad
    and 1 towel rad

all rads are 20 inchs high.

so what i need to know is what size stove i need, and any recomendations of stoves that suit.
    i would like an insert stove as my first choice but this may not suit my requirements

thank you in advance
    regards kerb

• Registered Users Posts: 17 holmum

Thanks for your replies bruanne and blue100.
    We have had two further quotes today and both describe the situation as
    You have blue 100. If we do go for back boiler we have to go ripping up floors looking for pipes to get downstairs heating to work properly which is just going to be too costly. So it looks like the back boiler is out for us
    But we are going for insert stove and going to get those heat adjusters on rads.
    Anyone recommend insert stove? Seen a lovely stovax riva 40, anyone have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kildaredave5

After delving into the never ending world of stoves i find myself with more questions than answers than i started with.I have thrawled the net and extended my knowledge somewhat of the different types of stoves and their outputs.I am looking for some information about the type of stove to buy. i live in an 8 year old house with good insulation but after the few bad winters we have had it never felt well insulatedThe house is1360sq.ft(127sq.m) and the room where i am putting the stove is 15ft*14ft*8ft.As my wife stays at home with the kids all day we have decided to go with one with a boiler as we only have an oil boiler running the heating to the house which is only gonna get more expensive in time.Our rads are as follows......
    sitting room 1000mm x 500mm double
    hallway 900mm x 500mm single
    kitchen 900mm x 500mm double
    playroom 800mm x 500mm double
    utility room 400mm x 500mm single
    bedroom1 800mm x 500mm double
    ensuite 400mm x 500mm single
    bedroom2 700mm x 500mm double
    bedroom3 800mm x 500mm double
    bedroom4 600mm x 500mm double
    bathroom 500mm x 500mm single

We also have the heating zoned so am wondering if it is just worth heating the downstairs rads during the day and switching over in the evening as a smaller stove boiler could be bought.
    Some people with similar sized houses in our estate have installed the Boru Carraig mor 20kw boiler stove with 4kw going to the room and 16kw going to heat the water but i have read a few negative things about the boru stoves as they are quiet cheap.
    Also my wife is looking for an enamel finish.
    All your help is much welcomed and appreciated to a very confused to be stove purchaser.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maggie Benson

Holmum
    Would you consider getting a non-boiler stove to heat the living area where I am sure you spend most of your time during the day. I think the free standing stoves give out a lot more heat than the inset ones.
    You can always use the oil in the evening to heat the rest of the house but I find that I use very little oil as it takes the real cold out of the rest of the house. I live in a dormer bungalow.
    My stove is a Charnwood Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭vertico

hi all
    has anybody used this stove ..Aarrow Stratford Eco 25 HE Multi-fuel...i cant find any reviews anywhere but they seem to be a powerful stove...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rs mivec

Holmum
    Would you consider getting a non-boiler stove to heat the living area where I am sure you spend most of your time during the day. I think the free standing stoves give out a lot more heat than the inset ones.
    You can always use the oil in the evening to heat the rest of the house but I find that I use very little oil as it takes the real cold out of the rest of the house. I live in a dormer bungalow.
    My stove is a Charnwood Island.

We have just adopted this idea and it works very well, we use a free standing room heating stove in the sitting room and oil to heat rads in the bedrooms and hall.

In a three bed bungalow with bedrooms one end, kitchen in the middle and sitting room the other end

stove keeps the sitting room very warm and heats the kitchen to, rads come on for a hour in the morning and a couple of hours in the evening to heat the berooms

its the best of both worlds :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

Combining Oil heating with Boiler stove.

Maybe someone can help me with this, I've tried searching but nothing similar comes up.
    I currently have a pretty standard oil fueled pressurised central heating system.

Would there be a way of incorporating a open vented circuit into the same radiators and closing off the oil boiler with ball valves, so I have the option of reinstating it in the future?

The system I have in mind is to add a feed and expansion tank in the loft, go straight up from the from the stove to the loft and then join the existing central heating circuit. Does anyone know if this is viable or can anyone offer any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

bhamsteve wrote: »

Maybe someone can help me with this, I've tried searching but nothing similar comes up.
    I currently have a pretty standard oil fueled pressurised central heating system.

Would there be a way of incorporating a open vented circuit into the same radiators and closing off the oil boiler with ball valves, so I have the option of reinstating it in the future?

The system I have in mind is to add a feed and expansion tank in the loft, go straight up from the from the stove to the loft and then join the existing central heating circuit. Does anyone know if this is viable or can anyone offer any advice?

It possible alright and yes the entire system must be open vented. But be Warned, solid fuel installations are not DIY projects. Don't even attempt to do it yourself. Get a plumber who knows how to do solid fuel properly. What part of the country are you in? There's plenty if guys here who could steer you in the right direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

bhamsteve wrote: »

Hi
    It's not a problem to combine both heating systems but you might have to change your tank
    Most of the connections would be done in the hotpress next to the tank for the solid fuel
    You should then be able to heat your hot water first with the solid fuel before it switches to the heating
    Where are you based?
    Cc

blue100 wrote: »
    Has anybody come across these? Any feedback? My parents are looking at getting an insert stove, but want a contemporary look and are considering the 6kw version of this stove. I only have experience of Stanley Cara insert, which is more traditional. Would appreciate any views. Thanks.

http://www.bpmsupplies.ie/images/Vitae%20Insert%20Stove/Vitae%20Stoves.pdf

Did you ever get a response on that? We're looking at it too. They claim to have 40 years experience but I think that might include fireplaces. Definitely looks nice but hard to know if they're tried and tested.

paddy147 wrote: »
    The amount of threads getting posted each day about stoves is unreal and taking away from other plumbing issues.

Can I suggest to the members and also the mods a dedicated "sticky" thread about stoves and nothing else.

Thanks.:)

Hi Folks. This sticky has been suggested by a regular poster and contributed to quite well. It seems to have generated a lot of interest. While advertising is not permitted under forum charter a balanced view of multiple suppliers is allowed. The rule of thumb is if you are unsure just ask. But keeping it simple and discussing the techanical details of multiple suppliers will be safe. Keep pricing out of the thread and only reply if requested to by PM -Personal message. An instant permant ban will result for breach of charter on advertising.

While this was a good idea I think that this post has now become so unwieldy that it's impossible to avoid asking previously asked questions. Would it be asking too much to give stoves it's own category?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

shgavman wrote: »
    While this was a good idea I think that this post has now become so unwieldy that it's impossible to avoid asking previously asked questions. Would it be asking too much to give stoves it's own category?

I'd suggest that you visit the Forum Requests part of the site. :)

MugMugs wrote: »
    I'd suggest that you visit the Forum Requests part of the site. :)

Thanks MugMugs. Didn't know that. I've submitted a forum request so anyone that wants to upvote it will find it here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84290804#post84290804

Thanks again MugMugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

ccsolar wrote: »
    Hi
    It's not a problem to combine both heating systems but you might have to change your tank
    Most of the connections would be done in the hotpress next to the tank for the solid fuel
    You should then be able to heat your hot water first with the solid fuel before it switches to the heating
    Where are you based?
    Cc

The house is in Leitrim. We're not living there at the moment but plan to move back there towards the end of the year. Apart from ;
    • copper pipe,
    • expansion tank,
    • pump & thermostat,
    • regular fittings (T's, elbows)
    • labour
    • new cylinder, dual coil?
    What other major expenses would there be?

We don't want to use the oil boiler at all, just leave it in place in case we sell the house, as long as it can be reinstated without too much fuss.
    Just trying to get a ball-park figure for materials as I've been offered a boiler stove for a good price and need to decide whether to take it or not.
    Thanks

vertico wrote: »
    hi all
    has anybody used this stove ..Aarrow Stratford Eco 25 HE Multi-fuel...i cant find any reviews anywhere but they seem to be a powerful stove...

I've read reviews about older models having trouble with leaking boilers. Anyone out there heard of the new model?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

In a new build if the stove location is not on an external wall I gather you need to install a duct in the foundations to external air.

Is there special ducting for this? or what is used? Guy in shop said any ducting will do even sewer piping like for plumbing a toilet?

True or false?

• Advertisement

john_cappa wrote: »
    In a new build if the stove location is not on an external wall I gather you need to install a duct in the foundations to external air.

Is there special ducting for this? or what is used? Guy in shop said any ducting will do even sewer piping like for plumbing a toilet?

True or false?

False. Just put an appropriately sized vent on the external wall of the room where the stove is. This vent must be a permenantly open one

Dtp79 wrote: »
    False. Just put an appropriately sized vent on the external wall of the room where the stove is. This vent must be a permenantly open one

To clarify the stove is not on an external wall so no vent can be used through the wall. Also the stove is to be a room sealed stove for use with HRV system so no open vent can be used regardless.

To clarify the stove is not on an external wall so no vent can be used through the wall. Also the stove is to be a room sealed stove for use with HRV system so no open vent can be used regardless.

Ah ok. An important bit of info ya left out in the original post!!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

I had the central heating on timer and when I went to light my new boiler stove it was really warm and the pipes were roasting. Is this normal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

I had the central heating on timer and when I went to light my new boiler stove it was really warm and the pipes were roasting. Is this normal?

By right there should have been nonreturn valves fitted on stove to stop the oil heating circulating the stove.It will do no harm

Def not normal and definately not right.

• Advertisement

should all connections on a boiler stove be plumbed into the system or can 2 be closed off?

vertico wrote: »
    should all connections on a boiler stove be plumbed into the system or can 2 be closed off?

Ideally all should be used but its not a must and not all situations are ideal

Def not normal and definately not right.

Confused now! I didn't think it was normal. Big waste of my oil I'm thinking. Is it a big job to get non-return valves put in?

Confused now! I didn't think it was normal. Big waste of my oil I'm thinking. Is it a big job to get non-return valves put in?

Not a big job but it could be. God knows how bad the pipework u already have is if he didn't put in the most basic feature of a dual system. Any pics ?

True or false?

Any one help with this? Can i just use sewer pipe in the floor to external air then connect my room sealed stove with the external air kit to the sewer pipe ducting?

• Advertisement

Not a big job but it could be. God knows how bad the pipework u already have is if he didn't put in the most basic feature of a dual system. Any pics ?

I've attached a picture of the pipework and also a picture of the flue on the roof. I'm getting awful blow downs and was advised on here that I would probably need the flue to go higher. Any idea how much higher?
    Thanks

Any one help with this? Can i just use sewer pipe in the floor to external air then connect my room sealed stove with the external air kit to the sewer pipe ducting?

That should be ok but just check with manufacturer most ducts have to finished with steel to stove see if you can find out min distance

I've attached a picture of the pipework and also a picture of the flue on the roof. I'm getting awful blow downs and was advised on here that I would probably need the flue to go higher. Any idea how much higher?
    Thanks

What length is your flue currently? Usually they are 1 metre lengths so easy to add up. As for the pipework, will need to see alot more including the cyclinder. Take the shots from a distance where the pic takes in as much as possible

Thanks
    The pic of the pipe work Unfortunitly tells nothing but the flue needs to be raised to a height above the ridge so looking at it I would say another metre I think I already advised this

Sorry about the useless pic of pipes...shows the extent of my knowledge! I hope this can provide more info.

Sorry about the useless pic of pipes...shows the extent of my knowledge! I hope this can provide more info.

How many pipes are coming off the back of your stove? Also is you cyclinder a dual coil?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭kerb

hi all

can any recomend a 20kw to 25kw insert boiler stove with about 4kw to room and 16 to 20kw to hot water and rads looking for some thing like this

http://www.stovecentre.ie/product.php?id_product=249

thanks alot

How many pipes are coming off the back of your stove? Also is you cyclinder a dual coil?

4 pipes from stove. I don't know about the cylinder but it was a new one put in for the stove so I assume its the right one

4 pipes from stove. I don't know about the cylinder but it was a new one put in for the stove so I assume its the right one

Out of curiosity, when only the stove is going does the oil boiler heat up? Check after an hour or when the rads are hot

im looking at a few differrent stoves, can anyone recommend any of these as its a big investment for me
    http://www.henleystoves.com/boiler-stoves/the-druid-30kw-stove
    http://www.ukstoves.co.uk/product/37KW_EB_25_HE_Multi_Fuel_Boiler_Stove/
    http://www.thestoveshop.ie/modules/store/Aarrow-Stratford-TF90B-24Kw-Multifuel-Boiler-Stove-18-to-20-Rad_P163268C13484.cfm

i live in a dormer and calculated and need nearly 30 kw ,, but i dont want a stove thats huge in size and takes a huge ammount of fuel.. at the moment i have a saey blenheim and it wont even heat downstairs

• Advertisement
Advertisement