Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fuel Prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

This Leaf is good in the sense that the Top Gear and Fifth Gear electric car tests do show they are perfectly fine speed wise. Though, 160km is very bad range if you are outside of a city and the 30 mins to 84% is still not good enough.

Id be adding 30ish minutes to my regular Meath to Belfast journeys.
    I can do two round trips in my old diesel so I agree with the Top Gear verdict that a new approach to getting those electric motors their juice is needed.

I have no problem with electric cars as long as I can have my estate and a good 500 mile range. At the moment I dont think we have anything close to that.

Battery reliant electric cars are a no no for me.
    I cant help but think the money being put into the Leaf and its similar competitors is a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

n97 mini wrote: »
    Do you know how much of your total consumption so far has come from these?

1 fast charge in July. 18kwh roughly I guess?

*edit* On second thoughts probably two fast charges!

bbk wrote: »
    This Leaf is good in the sense that the Top Gear and Fifth Gear electric car tests do show they are perfectly fine speed wise. Though, 160km is very bad range if you are outside of a city and the 30 mins to 84% is still not good enough.

I can do two round trips in my old diesel so I agree with the Top Gear verdict that a new approach to getting those electric motors their juice is needed.

I have no problem with electric cars as long as I can have my estate and a good 500 mile range. At the moment I dont think we have anything close to that.

I cant help but think the money being put into the Leaf and its similar competitors is a waste.

That's all fine, it's not a car suitable for you. As for a waste of money, It's Nissan and Renaults money. They can spend their own money anyway they want :) They're not new to the car industry either. So I guess they have their reasons for betting on electric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

If you look at my screenshot from the online portal page for my car, you'll see in the month of July I did 2119.8 kilometres and it cost me 17 euro and 82 cent (excluding vat at 13.5%). A full charge from 0% to 100% costs about 2 euro on night rate.

I did almost identical kilometers and my fuel bill for July is €390

motor tax for the month is another €130

FML

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Chief--- wrote: »
    Why on earth do people refer to Diesel as Derv.

Derv stands for Diesel Engined Road Vehicle... not diesel fuel.

Diesel is Diesel the world over.

What do these people call petrol......Perv??

Diesel is Gazole in France. Truck drivers have called it derv for years

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

whiterebel wrote: »
    Diesel is Gazole in France. Truck drivers have called it derv for years

Well in all the thousands of times ive been in petrol/gas stations all around the world ive never heard anybody saying, "30 euro/dollars/pounds of derv there on pump 1"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Absurdum wrote: »
    I did almost identical kilometers and my fuel bill for July is €390 motor tax for the month is another €130 FML

Don't forget that more than half your fuel bill is Tax and the road tax is tax.

As soon as electric starts to kick off, they'll be taxed similarly, in five years we'll be reminiscing about low tax and free electricity charging points with nostalgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

electric cars won't catch on, they're not practical simple as

hydrogen is whats to hold out for or more advanced hybrids

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Well in all the thousands of times ive been in petrol/gas stations all around the world ive never heard anybody saying, "30 euro/dollars/pounds of derv there on pump 1"

Well, you haven't lived......

fryup wrote: »
    don't won't catch, they're not practical simple as

hydrogen is whats to hold out for

Hydrogen will never catch on. The first cars invented were electric, simples

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

I really respect sess in his elec car purchase. It's way out there and fair play. I still contend tootling around within a defined area re charging points remain it's limiting factor. Once you have that squared away, your sorted. Having said said that you just can't tell the miss us to sod it , jump in the leaf and frig off to cliften to meet the lads.

Another decade when I'll be in slippers I reckon it'll take to see proper road going electric alternatives to petrol/derv driven motors. I take all on board re the leaf, possibly the best elec car out there.....yet for my demands and many other forum subscribers here I guess.....it's not for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

We should be seeing a significant drop at the pumps in the coming days/weeks. Oil is down $5 a barrel today.

gbee wrote: »
    Don't forget that more than half your fuel bill is Tax and the road tax is tax.

As soon as electric starts to kick off, they'll be taxed similarly, in five years we'll be reminiscing about low tax and free electricity charging points with nostalgia.

You're forgetting EV's pay road tax as well. There is no zero road tax rate in Ireland. Electricity is also taxed, but more importantly you can generate your own. Can you drill for your own oil supply? and then refine it into diesel or petrol?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2011/0601/1224298200715.html

A hugely important point as well is that we can actually generate the energy for these car domestically. Instead of going to the petrol pump and pumping money into some Saudi Sheiks pocket for his new G6 jet, the energy can be generated domestically. So at least the money you pay for the energy supports local industry and jobs. Not degenerate Saudi sheiks.

you're just saying that to give yourself peace of mind for buying a lecky car:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Interesting reading on this thread. I like motoring pioneers as I'm more interested in what can be achieved with the car after a century of development This is why I hate the likes of wasteful and obnoxious cars like the Q7, X5 etc, they're not really a step forward.
    Also, I'd suspect, on the contrary to what many state, that the range really is quite adequate for 80-90% of trips taken on a national basis. After all, not many people have a round trip of more 60km and most other journeys are down to the shops etc. On top of that electric cars really have come on quite dramatically over the last 3-4 years so if they can keep the rate of development up I think they will become more and more appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭numbnutz

You're forgetting EV's pay road tax as well. .

Never said they don't, I said low tax. One of those Arab sheiks probably owns ESB Supply and ESB Networks already anyway.

But we could have alpha particle electric generators /batteries/ capacitors, but they fall under the remit of 'nuclear' power and so are banned.

This electric is just plain silly, that's an inconvenient truth.

I drove electric fork lifts for twenty years, great until the night shift never plugged them in or the power failed ~ usually an ESB strike!!!!

Anyway, good luck with your new car, in your case, downsizing to one electric will reap dividends in the short term.

Electric technology is simple, developing rapidly and very reliable. Although infrastructure is lacking, and Ireland may not be an ideal test ground due to longer than average trip lengths, I think I'll take off. Hydrogen is pie in the sky stuff at the moment. There is nothing remotely approaching an infrastructure and there are safety concerns regarding the hydrogen tanks. Also the drive-trains are underdeveloped so reliability and performance will be massively compromised. Hydrogen is a utopian vision and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

fryup wrote: »
    you're just saying that to give yourself peace of mind for buying a lecky car:)

meh I've done my homework :) Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I've heard and read plenty of them by now. I'm still extremely pleased with my purchase. I'm not an environmentalist so I don't have anything against people buying petrol or diesel cars. The Leaf suits my family and in the long term it is a good investment for us.

@Coolbeans...........has electric cars caught on in australia? and whats the price of fuel down under at the moment?

• Advertisement

@Fryup; No, not at all, there are many big cc engines here but the fuel prices are roughly the same price as Ireland. That's a serious problem when you're dealing with Australian distances as their patterns of development are similar to ours i.e. spread out all over the shop thereby entrenching the need for a car for even the most rudimentary journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭BrianD3

17 quid + 13.5% VAT for 2100 km - a quick calculation puts that at the equivalent of about 430 mpg. Amazing. I notice that the 2100 km is made up of 145 journeys, so presumably most of your driving is slow speed urban driving.

How far do you get on a full charge (i.e. 2 euro) if you're driving at higher speeds, say a steady 50 or 60 mph?

That's all fine, it's not a car suitable for you. As for a waste of money, It's Nissan and Renaults money. They can spend their own money anyway they want :) They're not new to the car industry either. So I guess they have their reasons for betting on electric.

Indeed, they are not new to the business. They know how to jump on a band wagon.

You misunderstand my post also, betting on electric is not an issue, never has been.
    The point is the source of the electricity is wrong. There will be no worthwhile development of battery based electric cars.
    What is better for manufactures to do is help to develop what Honda have done sucessfully and that's hydrogen. Essentially the power generator is on board. Battery tech wont work as we will never see a battery powered car fulfill my needs.
    Don't take that as selfish, its part of my point of a system that can accommodate the masses being developed. Battery based can not do this.

With that cleared up its fine that you have an electric car that suits you, however i feel your needs are in the minority and that is all battery based electric cars can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Use of "derv" in the UK is common. Not here tho. Here it's as common as "Ay up lad, chuck a pint of thee's best real ale in that"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

meh I've done my homework :) Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I've heard and read plenty of them by now. I'm still extremely pleased with my purchase. I'm not an environmentalist so I don't have anything against people buying petrol or diesel cars. The Leaf suits my family and in the long term it is a good investment for us.

Fair play to you, and well wear.

IMHO, as long as they're not getting 400 miles out of a battery (or the a 400 miles battery can't be charged in a reasonable length to time), hydrogen is still in with a chance. Tho, I do think they'll eventually lick the battery problems.

I'd like to thank Sesshoumaru for posting and I'd like to apologise for the tone of some of my posts, I think I was a bit harsh.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    17 quid + 13.5% VAT for 2100 km - a quick calculation puts that at the equivalent of about 430 mpg. Amazing. I notice that the 2100 km is made up of 145 journeys, so presumably most of your driving is slow speed urban driving.

How far do you get on a full charge (i.e. 2 euro) if you're driving at higher speeds, say a steady 50 or 60 mph?

What I posted up had a middle bit cut out. I'll show you what I mean:

169599.jpg

When I click the "download energy info table" button I get the whole table in CSV format. It's very long in both CSV format and displayed on the webpage, so I just took the top part and bottom part from the webpage and stuck them together for my screenshot. The table has all the details on the type of journeys we make.

If you're interested you can have the CSV for July? I'm happy it doesn't contain any super secrets about my family :)

To answer your range question at higher speeds. We regularly make a trip from NE Kildare to Bray. That would be M4 to Liffey Valley and the M50 to Bray. So on the M50 I'd have the cruise control set to 100kph most of the time. Occasionally I might go a bit faster when I want to overtake, but normally I'll leave it at exactly 100kph. I'd be happy there is at least 130 kilometres of range at that speed. In most cases 140 kilometres is probably also safe. My wife took the car to kildare village outlet back when we first got the car. For whatever reason she overshot kildare village outlet by a good bit. That day she was primarily on the motorway and afterwards when we plotted her route on Google Maps it worked out at about 154 km. That day when she pulled into the driveway the battery was registering 0% :)

Of course if she had made that mistake today she could at least use either fast or slow charger at J14 Mayfield Service Station.
    169607.jpg

Over time as we got more practise we have tended to get more range out of the car as well. So maybe if my wife made the same journey today I think she could get home with more than 0% in the battery. But still it was mostly motorway and it was just after buying the car. 154km is not so bad. As I said earlier EV's are the opposite of ICE, in more urban environments you get more range as slower speeds have less wind resistance and you get energy back from the brakes, 96.4kwh of energy the car generated itself through regenerative braking in July. I think that is impressive!

gbee wrote: »
    I'd like to thank Sesshoumaru for posting and I'd like to apologise for the tone of some of my posts, I think I was a bit harsh.

You weren't that harsh, I can take it! You're making me feel bad now! :D

Indeed, they are not new to the business. They know how to jump on a band wagon.

You misunderstand my post also, betting on electric is not an issue, never has been.
    The point is the source of the electricity is wrong. There will be no worthwhile development of battery based electric cars.
    What is better for manufactures to do is help to develop what Honda have done sucessfully and that's hydrogen. Essentially the power generator is on board. Battery tech wont work as we will never see a battery powered car fulfill my needs.
    Don't take that as selfish, its part of my point of a system that can accommodate the masses being developed. Battery based can not do this.

With that cleared up its fine that you have an electric car that suits you, however i feel your needs are in the minority and that is all battery based electric cars can do.

My phone has two processor cores running at 1.2ghz each. It's not only cars that need improved battery technology. I think you're making a mistake if you think only car companies are researching this? Battery technology will continue to progress rapidly to satisfy the needs of our modern and mobile technology driven society.

Also take a look at this clever advertisement form Nissan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0sCCJFkEbE

Electricity is not new. Electric motors are not new, batteries aren't a new technology either. We use electricity to power nearly every piece of technology we have. We know it, we understand it and we already have a distribution network for it. Hydrogen technology is way way behind that curve.

• Advertisement

My phone has two processor cores running at 1.2ghz each. It's not only cars that need improved battery technology. I think you're making a mistake if you think only car companies are researching this? Battery technology will continue to progress rapidly to satisfy the needs of our modern and mobile technology driven society.

Also take a look at this clever advertisement form Nissan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0sCCJFkEbE

Electricity is not new. Electric motors are not new, batteries aren't a new technology either. We use electricity to power nearly every piece of technology we have. We know it, we understand it and we already have a distribution network for it. Hydrogen technology is way way behind that curve.

Well I do not know where you are basing this assumption on my view of who is researching battery technology. :confused:

The ad is clever but it is just an advert. All the products it shows aside from the car were designed to run off electricity from day one with electric generation from power stations.

To the important stuff of battery vs electricity generation.
    Taking two cars, the Nissan Leaf (Battery) and the Honda FCX (Hydrogen) in terms of range:
    180km for the Leaf vs. 386km for the Honda.
    I dont want to pick on the Leaf but I do not remember the other cars figures.

Back to my point about appealing to the masses.
    The Honda, the peak of current hydrogen technology, lets me go to Belfast in one go and turn around after a refuel and head home in a bigger car in the same time as my diesel.

The battery powered electric car at its peak of development has already put over an hour onto my journey assuming I would only need two 30 min recharges.

The Honda generates electricity for the motors and for a supplementary battery on board, its making the best of both worlds which is very important. It also has comparable performance figures (acceleration and top speed) to the Leaf but its a bigger car.

You say the infrastructure for battery cars is there in terms of the electricity grid, fair enough.
    What about all those petrol stations? Even with a national roll out of recharge points a national roll out of hydrogen would give an equal infrastructure to that of recharge based cars but with upsides already mentioned.

We both can agree electric cars are going to be needed in cars more and more from now on. I have no problem with that. I'm simply saying at this moment in time we have two different ways of getting electricity to the motors, both ways are at their peak of development today and one is clearly better then the other.
    I am interested in how you believe hydrogen is behind the curve.

Hydrogen is not available here I know but it still shows in an area where development is really needed there may be a better place to spend the research money in the context of cars. Because, despite the clever nature of the advert, comparing a microwave with a mode of transportation is just silly.

Alarm bells go off when Honda say you lease the car off them though.
    They do mention something interesting about a solution for at home refueling too so if that is successful that would put the pressure off a national roll out of retrofitting service stations for lack of a better word.

Advertisement