Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow 200 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

The Wicklow 200 is a recovery ride for the Boards.ie Evil 200 which usually takes place the day before - twice the climbing of the WW200 and it will cost you nothing (in monetary terms anyway!).

whats the route for that out of curiousity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

neris wrote: »

If curiosity doesn't kill you the route will!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

neris wrote: »

2015 Thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057378193

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭saccades

In 2 minds now - nippers first communion? thing is on the saturday, loads of folks coming to the house (inc from the UK) for a bit of a party.

I'm not sure that's the best preparation for a slightly tricky 200km spin on the sunday.

However missus is happy for me to do it still and I really want to (mainly because I know I can get a better average if the weather isn't as foul as last year).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Right so, I've 2 options here:

1) Sleep in my own bed on the Saturday night, get up at 4am, breakfeast at home and a 2 hour drive (from south Kilkenny) to Greystones for the start (and scoff a little bit more en-route).. or

2) Drive up on the Saturday evening, stay in a hotel/B&B and drive to Greystones for 6.15ish.

Either option has pro's and con's. I'm leaning towards option 1 because I doubt very much I'll get a breakfeast in a hotel at 5-5.30am. Would I be right?

Wondering what do other people who have to travel for it do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Mugser wrote: »

1) Sleep in my own bed on the Saturday night, get up at 4am, breakfeast at home and a 2 hour drive (from south Kilkenny) to Greystones for the start (and scoff a little bit more en-route).. or

2) Drive up on the Saturday evening, stay in a hotel/B&B and drive to Greystones for 6.15ish.

Either option has pro's and con's. I'm leaning towards option 1 because I doubt very much I'll get a breakfeast in a hotel at 5-5.30am. Would I be right?

You could find the cheapest B&B around and bring your own breakfast in some tupperware boxes,muesli or other cereal and add your own milk,bread roll ect ect. If its cheap you won't mind missing the breakfast that goes with it. I'd much prefer the extra sleep over the breakfast from a hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

the early start is the one necessary but annoying aspect of the wicklow. i live in dublin so its s short enough drive to the start, regardless, the alarm is set for just before 5am and i rarely get a wink before that due to excitement and my mind bracing itself for the early alarm call. i did the w200 on zero hours shut-eye last year and i felt it. given the choice i would try to be as close to the start as i can to maintain as normal a nights sleep as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

What time does it normally start at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    What time does it normally start at?

Not a mass start, so you turn up basically any time in the morning and leave once you've finished registration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

From last year's stats (link), the earliest starter for the 200 was @ 05:35 but the majority started at around 07:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

I started at 6 bells last year, soaked to the skin by ten past.
    Settling for the 100 this year because I'm off on holiday the following day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Since it moved to Greystones . Parkview Hotel in Newtownmountkennedy has been our base. Always got breakfast as its full of cyclists and they know who they are catering for. Also feed you late on the Sat if you warn them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I signed up for the 200 in December after having completed the 100 last year.

I'm a bit fearful now as May has a christening and a communion that will mean I'll miss out on bike time and valuable kms and metres. The weather has hindered me to some extent too.

If all I had to worry about was the start time I'd be as happy as a pig in sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

This is my first time doing this event. What sort of distance would I need to have done in my training? The most I've done was a 140k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

martyoo wrote: »
    This is my first time doing this event. What sort of distance would I need to have done in my training? The most I've done was a 140k.

You be grand, the most i did before my first 200 was also about 140.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭nilhg

The most important thing is to pace yourself, don't get carried away trying to stick in a group that's faster than the ideal, another one generally comes along anyway, especially on the flat bit between Hollywood and Hacketstown. I find it useful to treat something like the WW200 as three separate spins, just concentrate on getting to the next foodstop, you can refuel and recuperate there, if the weather is decent sitting for a while in the sun often seems to recharge the batteries a bit for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

The most I tend to do before the 200 is about 140-150 or there abouts. You'll be grand. It's 200km so it's going to hurt in the latter stages regardless but then again it wouldn't be a challenge if it didn't hurt would it?

Just pace yourself and don't stay in a group that's going a little too fast for you. You'll regret it later. Also remember, being the 200 there are always a few early heros. Don't go tearing off up the first hill because you saw a few lads tearing up it. The amount over the years I've seen take the first hills apart only to slog their way up SM & SE with nothing in the tank. It's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

How many typically participate in this event?

I must say the early start bothers me. Only time it is justifiable to wake at 5am is to go on holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

D9Male wrote: »
    How many typically participate in this event?

I must say the early start bothers me. Only time it is justifiable to wake at 5am is to go on holidays.

You can start at any time. its a 200k cycle. The real question is what time do you want to cross the finish line? Its in June so its bright until 9pm, so you've plenty of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Last year, about 3000 register with about 2,500 actually participating in the event on the day - with an almost equal split between the 100 and 200 riders.

Every year around now the W200 thread takes on a familiar look. The mental anguish begins to show re how far, how fast, how long time wise.

Lads and Ladies.
    If you have been training for this over the last few months and have got in spins up to 140+km during our lovely spring in all sorts of weather your Body will be able for 200km in June. Its 1 day and its not a race. You will not care how long it took until June 2016 and nobody else really does though they may ask.
    Its your mind you must convince.
    If you look back at the threads over the years its more often than not the Worriers who report having great days as they follow the advice given here on the thread. The poster may change but the words of wisdom stay the same.
    So Keep Cycling, Keep Reading and ride to Rathdrum then when your head starts to doubt you can get back to Greystones you can be happy in telling yourself 'Shut up Mind,Keep pushing Legs' ;-)

Esroh wrote: »
    Every year around now the W200 thread takes on a familiar look. The mental anguish begins to show re how far, how fast, how long time wise.

And sure as soon as it is over, the whole "where is me medal" debate starts :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D

Hmm I should really start looking for a few more hills. :eek:

2015-05-18%2016.34.54_zpshksokkwd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Got the entry pack too this morning. Getting close now!

20150518_155226_zpsm1gu0zar.jpg
    Sure if they sent the keys to curtsey car you will be alright. ;-)

Esroh wrote: »
    Sure if they sent the keys to curtsey car you will be alright. ;-)

They must have seen me at the cycle4dsi last week :D Fat lad out the back :p

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Can anyone tell me what time for the 100 we reg and leave at.
    The card mentioned 6am reg but it mentions a 7am and 9am start.... not sure which is right!

Thanks

I think the 200 lads have to register between 06:00-08:00

The 100 entrants seem to be able to register up till 09:00 because of the shorter distance they can start later I guess.

If you're in 2 minds as to the distance I'd suggest registering at the earlier times so you're not arriving home to late.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I think the 200 lads have to register between 06:00-08:00

The 100 entrants seem to be able to register up till 09:00 because of the shorter distance they can start later I guess.

If you're in 2 minds as to the distance I'd suggest registering at the earlier times so you're not arriving home to late.

Thanks buck, wasn't sure and want to make sure I get parking as don't know the area at all. Be nice to spin out with a group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

You can register anytime from 6am (and probably earlier judging by some of the start times last year), no difference between 100/200 registration. "Official" start time is 7am, but there's no official start, just off you go. There's usually big enough groups heading off from 6.30am, best bet is to get on the road early, take it handy starting off and tag onto a group passing you at a pace you like.
    Plenty of parking at the Greystones Dart park and ride carpark, only a few hundred metres from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Snako

Whats up lads and ladies,

I'm attempting the 200 for the first time. I've been doing the 10%+ increase every weekend for the last while, with a 40k and some boot camp training during the weekdays. My max so far been 120 last Saturday, didn't hit a wall but suffered the last 20-30. I figure I have two long rides left before the event. I'm severely under prepared, with regards to gear, and apparently my tyres are all wrong (I have a tricross).

Anyone have any training tips for the last stretch? And speaking of gear what are the absolute essentials? Besides cycling shorts. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Snako wrote: »

I'm attempting the 200 for the first time. I've been doing the 10%+ increase every weekend for the last while, with a 40k and some boot camp training during the weekdays. My max so far been 120 last Saturday, didn't hit a wall but suffered the last 20-30. I figure I have two long rides left before the event. I'm severely under prepared, with regards to gear, and apparently my tyres are all wrong (I have a tricross).

Anyone have any training tips for the last stretch? And speaking of gear what are the absolute essentials? Besides cycling shorts. :(

My first 200 too! The most I've ever done was 123kms a week ago! You should be fine. I would suggest electrolyte tabs and lots of them. I brought two bottles on that spin and it wasn't enough, i tend to get very dehydrated so i will be drinking constantly on the day and bring tabs to refill with.

I'm also getting a full service done on the bike during the week before so it's ready to go.

Good luck on the day and remember there will always be someone worse off then yourself. Thats whats giong to get me through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Well done on your training, on the day just take it easy, eat well and look after yourself and you'll be alright. Stretch often if you can.

The tricross has wider wheels than most bikes you'll see doing the 200, but it'll be ok. If you can, pick up a set of tyres that are as narrow and as slick as will go on the wheels (the ones you have may well be fine already though). Your LBS will be able to assist you there. Pump them up to the upper end of their recommended pressure. Gear essentials are cycle shorts, jersey, saddlebag with puncture repair stuff, bottle cages, bidons, and a handy jacket. Think you need a helmet for all sportives too.

On the last stretch, just keep your head down and think of the grub :) Stay with a group that's going at a comfortable pace for you if you can. Talk to people whenever you feel like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Snako

My first 200 too! The most I've ever done was 123kms a week ago! You should be fine. I would suggest electrolyte tabs and lots of them. I brought two bottles on that spin and it wasn't enough, i tend to get very dehydrated so i will be drinking constantly on the day and bring tabs to refill with.

I'm also getting a full service done on the bike during the week before so it's ready to go.

Good luck on the day and remember there will always be someone worse off then yourself. Thats whats giong to get me through!

I got my service done a few weeks back. I'm presuming I won't have to carry too much food etc with all the feeding stations?

I'm going to try get 140km this weekend. Bit worried about the legs, it seems to take me 4-5 days to recover properly from the long rides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

I got my service done a few weeks back. I'm presuming I won't have to carry too much food etc with all the feeding stations?

I'm going to try get 140km this weekend. Bit worried about the legs, it seems to take me 4-5 days to recover properly from the long rides.

It will be my first 200 (Is the 140 The Ring of Beara?) As for food I wouldn't normally rely on feed stops and would see them more as a supplement to the stuff I have with me. I'm thinking of carrying a small (10litre) backpack but then again I'm a salad dodger and get quite hungry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Bring some energy gels and maybe a couple of flapjack type bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Don't think I'm going to use the feed stations because both myself and the guy I'll be with are lactose intolerant and he's also diabetic so have to be very careful what we eat. My wife is going to meet us somewhere along the way with food.

If you don't use gels already I would be a bit wary of starting on the day as they can be quite hard on the stomach.

Maybe a foam roller would help with the legs?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭lissard

The feed stops are at around 90k and 160k if my memory serves me right. My experience of doing this last year was that the first one (Baltinglass) was very slow but nevertheless a welcome break after 90k. If you want to minimise the amount of time stopped simply go to the shop around the corner in Baltinglass. I found by the time I left the the first stop I had got very cold from waiting around. The second stop in Rathdrum had no queues worth talking about. Contrary to what I'd been led to believe, the food was very good last year.

2015-05-18%2016.34.54_zpshksokkwd.jpg

Good man - I am right behind at number 182!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

My first 200k also, have done the SKT 160 back in 2013, but probably a fair bit fitter than. Doing 110k training spins so far, finding them handy enough, easily feel I could do 140-150 on my own, so the extra 50 with some riding in a group should be doable, I hope!
    Best of luck to all doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

So if I were to start at (say) 8am, would there be groups going at my pace? 10 hour pace!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

D9Male wrote: »
    So if I were to start at (say) 8am, would there be groups going at my pace? 10 hour pace!

You'll probably catch up with me :D

As said use the foam roller every day after the ride, also elevate the legs and if you have compression tights (the airplane/operation ones!) then fire them on for a few hours. All that helps!
    Don't start using gels if you haven't been used to them, have said lads suffer badly with them in events so not ideal.
    Pack what u normally eat and carry some, give the rest to your missus. Have a good breakfast and get a bottle of water into you every hour or so after the 1st 30 minutes.
    But enjoy the event, everyone there will be in the same boat so just get into a comfortable zone, go off too fast and you will burn out and the last 1/2-1/4 will be tough.

Enjoy and good luck

bazermc wrote: »

You mean ahead of me :D

Anyone wearing the boards gear? :D I'll have the jersey on anyway and Westport CC shorts on a white Storck (bike not bird!)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Number arrived this morning. I'll be out on the road as soon as possible and hopefully get home to watch the Ireland/England game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

bazermc wrote: »

Im 181 :eek:

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

Im 181 :eek:

There's the podium sewn up a boards 123. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I'm in.

I think what I have to do for the next two weeks before hand will be tougher than the event.

And the Event is tough. :/

Didn't see the point on waiting till next year, what would I be waiting on?

A miracle?

I don't mind being the last person home. I'll be happy having completed it, if I can.

Best of luck everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement