Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Godzilla (2014)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭KilOit

Looks excellent, like the idea that nukes in the 50's were trying to kill it rather than create him and all the earthquake and disasters are caused by Godzilla. Would have been better if they kept all that secret though

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

That roar at the end.....
    *shiver*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Some of the Godzilla FX seemed a bit ropey tbh, particularly the scene with the flares. Usual caveats about trailers apply, but I hope they're still working on things.

Still looks interesting though; the real trick's going to be whether the script resists the temptation / pressure to enable humanity - or more specifically, the US armed forces - to defeat Godzilla. If that's allowed to happen it'll undermine the whole point of the creature.

Cool that they're keeping the nuclear motif, I had wrongly guessed they wouldn't and it's an intriguing direction to go for; that the nukes were actually trying to kill it, that they didn't accidentally create the beast (I also spotted flashes of other big beasties during the trailer, perhaps they're the results of the 'testing')

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Oh yes indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Nice. It has the same tone as the first trailer, so I'm still looking forward to it with some optimism. I disliked the '98 effort as a Godzilla movie (if you think of it as a giant dinosaur attacks NYC, it's passable, but it just wasn't Gojira) so it's interesting that the new movie also refers to the 1950s nuclear testing in the Pacific but clearly denies that that testing gave "birth" to the monster. In other words - and this is just what I choose to read into it :pac: - screw you Emmerich and your French Godzilleaux.

I'm with you Pixelburp re the US military/humanity in general needing to be more or less powerless in the face of such natural force. The presence of other kaiju would make me hopeful that that would be the case - we need Godzilla to defeat other beasties as we are incapable ourselves. Well, fingers crossed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

bryan cranston whining?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭fluke

Great money shot at 2.13 - 2.14

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Seems interesting. Really hope they do a good job with it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ohh, i like that trailer. Looks excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Yes! YEEEESSSSSS!!!

Seems like a proper epic blockbuster, can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Anyone got theories on the other monsters in the trailer? I am convinced I saw Rodan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Thought that might be Rodan alright emerging from the clouds and diving into the water with wings tucked back. There's the insect claw we see stamp down which looks reminiscent of a spider or mantis. No idea about the orange-glowing tentacle that looks to be grabbing a missile.

Goldstein wrote: »
    Thought that might be Rodan alright emerging from the clouds and diving into the water with wings tucked back. There's the insect claw we see stamp down which looks reminiscent of a spider or mantis. No idea about the orange-glowing tentacle that looks to be grabbing a missile.

Tentacle monster could be Dogora.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

looks a bit by the numbers, if they introduce another monster then all will be well but just having a disaster movie starring a big monster is some thing we have already seen. I hope this turns out better than I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

looks a bit by the numbers, if they introduce another monster then all will be well but just having a disaster movie starring a big monster is some thing we have already seen. I hope this turns out better than I expect.

By all accounts it is monsters rather than just having one other monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

bryan cranston whining?

Yes. Again. But I must have been extra tired last night becuase I thought you wrote ''Bryan Cranston winning?'' and lol'd :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Magicknight94

This is gonna be epic \m/

Bryan Cranston's character seems to be a mixture of Heisenberg and Hal. Halenberg. I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Kess73 wrote: »

If that is the case then it would peak my interest, I used to be a big fan of the Japanese films when I was a kid, mostly recorded from Channel 4.

• Advertisement

Not bothering with the trailers as I want to see this knowing as little as possible. Happened to see a trailer for the upcoming Spider-Man in the cinena last week and feel as if I've seen the entire thing given that they condensed the entire plot down into a handy 2 minutes

I think having multiple mobsters is the way to go, especially if they plan to develop the character somewhat beyond being an unstoppable killing machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

If that is the case then it would peak my interest, I used to be a big fan of the Japanese films when I was a kid, mostly recorded from Channel 4.

You and me both. My favourite one was the one with King Ghidorah from 1991, used to watch that quite regularly as a kid. Been hunting for the DVDs of those movies for a while . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

thats really got me interested.

have to say this years looking like a good one for me on the genre front. good the see the innovative direction style is being kept too.

cant wait.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Honestly Ill probably watch this film just because of Cranston...And I agree about not watching the trailers, recently trailers seem to spoil most of the best scenes from films

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Not bothering with the trailers as I want to see this knowing as little as possible. Happened to see a trailer for the upcoming Spider-Man in the cinena last week and feel as if I've seen the entire thing given that they condensed the entire plot down into a handy 2 minutes

I think having multiple mobsters is the way to go, especially if they plan to develop the character somewhat beyond being an unstoppable killing machine.

Yeah, New York getting annihilated by Joe Pesci and Robert De Niro would be epic on all sorts of scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yeah, New York getting annihilated by Joe Pesci and Robert De Niro would be epic on all sorts of scales.

"You talking to me?"

*Fireball*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

There was a leaked trailer online a few months ago that showed another monster. Looked like it was dead, and had numerous arms.
    And in the latest trailer there seems to a large creature that break cloud cover (winged monster).

I have a feeling we'll see a number of different monsters. Really looking forward to this movie since I heard who was directing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Channel 4 was great in the 1980's and early 1990's for anyone who enjoyed the original Godzilla films.

They also went through a phase of showing a Kurosawa film (nowt to do with the big green guy I know) every weekend which introduced me to films that blew my young mind.

The great thing is that, some 20 to 30 years later, the same films that blew my mind back then still have the same effect on me, and the creature features I loved back then are still just as enjoyable to watch today.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Channel 4 was great in the 1980's and early 1990's for anyone who enjoyed the original Godzilla films.

They also went through a phase of showing a Kurosawa film (nowt to do with the big green guy I know) every weekend which introduced me to films that blew my young mind.

The great thing is that, some 20 to 30 years later, the same films that blew my mind back then still have the same effect on me, and the creature features I loved back then are still just as enjoyable to watch today.

Yeah, same for Shaw brothers movies, old Jackie Chan films and Bruce Lee as well as the Asia Extreme stuff. There was a few channels on sky when we first got it in the house that were great for that stuff too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

That would be totally wicked!!:p

Advertisement