Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Dolbert wrote: »
    It's my husband's and my birthday this week so I'm hilariously off plan. I won't be beating myself up over any gains either, these weeks are just neccessary sometimes. *burps*

Dinner (and particularly dessert!) looked epic, I hope you enjoyed every bite!
    Happy birthdays ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

A very busy and stressful time is finally behind me work and business wise. I can now focus 100% of my food intake and will be able to get out to train as well.

Anyway up 1.5 yesterday which is amazing considered what i've ate/drank over the last two weeks !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Had a gain of 2lbs last night, absolutely no reason why, I had stuck to the plan, used my syns and am not due my period.. Was absolutely raging as needed 1.5lbs for my first target. Ah well, just need to stay on track and hopefully it will come off and more next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

I bought the new SW cook book last week and have tried out the spaghetti bolognese which my fussy eaters loved so much that I was asked to make it again the following day so I did double. I've also made the easy chicken curry, chilli con carne and I've just made the chicken, sweet potato and squash tagine and the aroma is wonderful. I know you can get the recipes online but I like to have the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

That tagine recipie sounds lovely. Could you share it when you get a chance please? I've had a bad few weeks and I'm determined I'll have a loss next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

The aroma from the preserved lemons is gorgeous. I'll have a struggle to hold out until this evening for my dinner.

Here's the recipe for the tagine

http://group.slimmingworld.com/recipes/chicken-sweet-potato-and-squash-tagine.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

After my unexpected gain last night I've gone back to basics today, I realised I had not been drinking water as much as when I first started so am drinking lots today and also made a speed veg and lentil soup to have for lunches and maybe even before dinner.. So here's hoping I will lose next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Weighed a day early and very happy to stay the same considering the birthday shenanigans. I'm going to have a "full works" Chinese on my actual birthday but otherwise back on it tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mondo123

Down 1lb this week, disappointed with how slow its going for me esp as last week was my star week I was sure I'd get a couple of extra pounds off this week. Did a food diary this week and stayed within my syns. Was very careful to with the superspeed foods and having at least 1/3 on my plate. Only down 4lbs in 4 weeks, bit disheartening when your really putting the effort in :( one lucky lady that isnt majorly overweight came into class last night with a 5lb weight loss in the first week!! very envious :) that's more than me in the 4 weeks I've been doing it!
    So this week, I'm going using my Healthy B's on food rather than on the Hifi bars like I was - starting this morning had Ryvita & laughing cow with my eggs! Going to try drinking more water too. Also, normally I'm very active with running and training but I've given that a rest since starting SW as I found in times past that while training my weight loss was slower as I was building muscle. Figure it cant get much slower so I'm going back running this week and hopefully this wont stop the scales totally on me. Finding this thread a great motivator so thanks all :)
    Hope ye all have a great week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Honestly don't get yourself down comparing yourself to other people. I only every loose .5, 1 or if I'm very lucky 1.5 you'll see over time that the people who loose 5lbs like that one week won't generally sustain and it won't continue (unless they have stones and stones to loose)! I started SW as a size 12 which a lost of people in my group would love and be envious of but I'm short so I need to lose more weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I am a slow loser, I always have been, I am doing well if I lose 2.5 lbs, some people do better than others. SW recommend to lose between 1-2 lbs a week so focus on that.

I am expecting a gain tomorrow so if it happens, so be it. No point worrying over these things..

Gosh I would have loved to be a size 12 when I joined. What height are you?

Vahevala wrote: »
    Gosh I would have loved to be a size 12 when I joined. What height are you?

5'1 at a push :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Dee01

I was down .5lb - like a lot of you on here, I am finding it frustratingly slow!! This was my 4th weigh in and I'm only down 5.5lbs. One weeks loss for a number of people in my group!!! Anyway, I ill stick to it and fingers crossed I will have a drop shortly.

Regarding the sugar intake, I think I might reduce this as well. I'm not into the muller lite or the bars, but I've started eating a lot of fruit. I'm going to substitute this with non starchy veggies and see if there is a difference.

I've never lost a huge amount any week. It takes a reduction of approximately 500 calories per day to lose 1lb of body fat a week, that's doable for me without feeling deprived. Some days I eat more than that, some days less. The key for me is that it's sustainable. People who have lost a lot of weight will tell you that chipping away week by week is the key, nothing dramatic but it does take perseverance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

tk123 wrote: »
    Honestly don't get yourself down comparing yourself to other people. I only every loose .5, 1 or if I'm very lucky 1.5 you'll see over time that the people who loose 5lbs like that one week won't generally sustain and it won't continue (unless they have stones and stones to loose)! I started SW as a size 12 which a lost of people in my group would love and be envious of but I'm short so I need to lose more weight.

Same as me, i'm a size 12 (nearly a 10 now) but i am only 5ft so i am actually overweight, hate when people say to me why are you trying loosing weight!

5'1 at a push :o:o

lol, I am 5"2.5 :) I am aiming to either stay where I am (size 12) or maximum of a size 10 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mondo123

Dee01 wrote: »
    Regarding the sugar intake, I think I might reduce this as well. I'm not into the muller lite or the bars, but I've started eating a lot of fruit. I'm going to substitute this with non starchy veggies and see if there is a difference.

I also eat alot of fruit, and a lot of the hifi bars (but within my syns, and HexB), have a mullerlight each day and also have the odd diet coke.

So this week I'm gonna try cut back a little on all the above and maybe reintroduce some Ryvita \ Porridge to see if the extra Fibre will help speed things along although to be fair I'm anything but constipated!

Completely agree with you all that slow an steady weight loss is the way to go but sometimes it can be slightly frustrating when you see people coming in with big losses and you cant figure out what your doing wrong :(

Anyways, we're in it to win it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Mondo123 wrote: »
    Completely agree with you all that slow an steady weight loss is the way to go but sometimes it can be slightly frustrating when you see people coming in with big losses and you cant figure out what your doing wrong :(

Those people don't stay too long. They get frustrated at the first gain and panic. I say it all the time but a loss of 1 lb a week is nearly 4 stone in a year and it's a level that is definitely sustainable

On sugar in your diet, I think it's OK in certain amounts. Switching from fruit to veg may have a short term boost but your body will adapt to that, and then fruit can boost losses. It's all about mixing up your diet and having a little bit of all the main food groups

FWIW I'm totally in the zone at the minute. Under 10 syns a day, checking & tracking everything, trying new foods (hurrah for feta and houllami!)

I'm still going on the piss all day Saturday though

Mondo123 wrote: »
    I also eat alot of fruit, and a lot of the hifi bars (but within my syns, and HexB), have a mullerlight each day and also have the odd diet coke.

So this week I'm gonna try cut back a little on all the above and maybe reintroduce some Ryvita \ Porridge to see if the extra Fibre will help speed things along although to be fair I'm anything but constipated!

Anyways, we're in it to win it ;)

I'm not trying to be disparaging but the people who lose insane amounts of weight at the start usually had horrendous eating habits before. If your diet was generally okay in the first place your weekly losses will be smaller. Just keep chipping away :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Would having bread for your healthy extra in the morning, then having it again for lunch as syns be bad for weight loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Would having bread for your healthy extra in the morning, then having it again for lunch as syns be bad for weight loss.

Everyone is different but once you keep under your syns, I think you'll be OK either way.

I regularly have bread as syns

I had stalled completely and was using porridge as my hex b for months. Since switching to quinoa porridge (free) I've gained back my hexb and either use it on bread or cereal bars and have been losing again.

I do the red days a few days a week and can have two healthy B's.. I love the bagel slims for lunch, great option and if I feel like chips, I can have them as long as I weigh them out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Went a bit off the rails over the last 2 weeks and as tomorrow is creeping up on me I'm bricking it , waiting to find out how bad the damage is. I feel 5-7lb TBH!!!!

Also in regards to slow losses, I am happy I have been really slow. If I'd hit my target in say 8 weeks, I never would have conditioned myself to thinking about food in this new way. If this is indeed not a diet, but a lifestyle, slow and steady is 100% the way to go! You're not just losing the pounds, you're teaching yourself valuable lessons that wouldn't have stuck as well if you'd zoomed to the finish line without truly learning the skill!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I had stalled completely and was using porridge as my hex b for months. Since switching to quinoa porridge (free) I've gained back my hexb and either use it on bread or cereal bars and have been losing again.

I got stuff to make the quinoa porridge, how do you make it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

deisemum wrote: »
    The aroma from the preserved lemons is gorgeous. I'll have a struggle to hold out until this evening for my dinner.

Here's the recipe for the tagine

http://group.slimmingworld.com/recipes/chicken-sweet-potato-and-squash-tagine.aspx

Thanks for that link. It's all in the oven and my hunger is growing with the yummy smells!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Half a pound up, wasn't eating enough some days, full steam ahead for next week if I can find the feckin energy...

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Weigh in tomorrow and after the 2.5 gain last week I was so motivated until Monday... Had to take my strong painkillers and still was kept awake 2 nights with the pain, tired and sore me has no willpower at all! Woke up this morning late, didn't get breakfast or lunch, first bite I had was at 4pm, really need to cop myself on, 2 weeks ago I was 1lb off 3 and a half stone award and really wanted my 4 stone award for the end of October (when I'm getting married). Just need to sit myself down and plan for the week ahead.

I got stuff to make the quinoa porridge, how do you make it ?

I soak the quinoa during the day while I'm at work, cook it in a microwave rice cooker (from homestore & more) for 10 mins then leave it over night to soak up any water that was left - I prefer it fluffy than crunchy - if you're impatient just cook it without soaking! :p In the morning I just mix in a few spoons of liberte natural yoghurt (not a fan of muller), a sprinkle of sweetener and cinnamon and then mix in fruit - my favourite atm is berries and a peach/nectarine. A measuring cup of quinoa would last me 4 or 5 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Lost the 2.5lb I had on last week, think it was a fluke but I'll take it. Decided to start from the beginning again tomorrow so going to spend the evening re-reading my books and trying to forget the past 9 months!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement