Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

166man wrote: »
    Lads this a dark day for the 166man house.... The 156 is due to be sold next week... :(:(:(

Is that issue terminal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Sad news indeed. :(

Too sad...
    Why you selling?

It's a combination of a few things, mainly a few things popping up and tbh I'm struggling to give it the care and attention it needs, both financially and physically. Gonna stay on the insurance for the 159 for the moment and see what happens.
    Is that issue terminal?

The issue is not terminal and the part has been ordered so it will be sold as fixed but as said above I'm just struggling to afford it. It's been sitting in the drive a while now, it's best to move it on.

I'm gutted to be honest but it's still a great car and should be on the road for another while yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

166man wrote: »
    The issue is not terminal and the part has been ordered so it will be sold as fixed but as said above I'm just struggling to afford it. It's been sitting in the drive a while now, it's best to move it on.

I'm gutted to be honest but it's still a great car and should be on the road for another while yet!

Note to self : in future don't post up problems about own car on forum :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

So, I rang my broker and they've reduced my premium to 1100 for fully comp with all the bells and whistles, break down, windscreen cover etc etc. It was no cheaper for TPFT so i'm going to go with that.

I've been ringing around non-stop to brokers and the best price I've gotten with an other company is 1000 TPFT and a large ~600ish excess. Should be alright enough I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,428 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

So, I rang my broker and they've reduced my premium to 1100 for fully comp with all the bells and whistles, break down, windscreen cover etc etc. It was no cheaper for TPFT so i'm going to go with that.

I've been ringing around non-stop to brokers and the best price I've gotten with an other company is 1000 TPFT and a large ~600ish excess. Should be alright enough I guess.

That's not a large excess; a large excess is 3500 or more! You must e a (relatively) good risk!

Marcusm wrote: »
    That's not a large excess; a large excess is 3500 or more! You must e a (relatively) good risk!

Insurance on the coupe is way harder to get compared to the saloon 325i. I did know this when I bought it, but I can stomach it I guess. It'll be spread out over the year so its not all that bad. Actually....considering I paid 800+ for a years insurance on a polo last year..maybe its better than alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sheena1993

i just failed my NCT on high emissions and was wondering whether it would be worth my while keeping it and try to fix it or to get rid and buy something else. i have a 01 ford focus.

Low idle: CO 4.94 vol%- above 0.50% is a fail
    HC 1,006ppm- above 0ppm is a fail

High Idle: Lambda: 0.67- not between 0.97 and 1.03 is a fail
    CO 11.89%- above 0.30% is a fail
    HC 1,779ppm- above 200ppm is a fail

What do you think i should do. i would appreciate any advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Insurance on the coupe is way harder to get compared to the saloon 325i. I did know this when I bought it, but I can stomach it I guess. It'll be spread out over the year so its not all that bad. Actually....considering I paid 800+ for a years insurance on a polo last year..maybe its better than alright!

What age are you and what ncb you got? I always thought these beemers were on a low side of risk. Boyracers don't like big engines cars with extras and comfort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Im going to try and get a job in one of them shops that sell bulbs and belts for cars and different things. I cant think of what you call them..:o God damn brain! Anywho if I get this job, Il be in with a 15% -20% discount. :cool:

What age are you and what ncb you got? I always thought these beemers were on a low side of risk. Boyracers don't like big engines cars with extras and comfort.

23 with 2 years NCB. It's probably pretty decent all considered:p

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I'm looking for some belts and different things for my car actually do they have those things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Sure you'll need to spray the wing too, don't wuss out on doing it right,

I slipped in the snow and whacked myself into it :o

If you saw the way it was before though... :eek:

Both sides of the car were vandalised when I got it first. Miserable people out there :mad:

23 with 2 years NCB. It's probably pretty decent all considered:p

1.1k is a great qoute then so m8.
    *why the feck I though you are 28... I work too much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Im going to try and get a job in one of them shops that sell bulbs and belts for cars and different things. I cant think of what you call them..:o God damn brain! Anywho if I get this job, Il be in with a 15% -20% discount. :cool:

Off to a good start for that anyway. :D

Might wanna do some research on them before your interview. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

You could try halfords Bubble Wrap, I'd say you'd get in there ;).

............. Il be in with a 15% -20% discount. :cool:

They'd give that discount to many regular non trade customers, the factors I used to work in years ago gave us stuff at cost price for your own car.

OSI wrote: »
    A motor factors?

Yup thats the one. :)
    conzymaher wrote: »
    I'm looking for some belts and different things for my car actually do they have those things?

They should, but they wont sell pink muffins. ;)
    dar83 wrote: »
    Off to a good start for that anyway. :D

Oh uh, Im only calling down tomorrow or friday to see what they say. Im not garented a job. But someone mentioned it to me to try.

Might wanna do some research on them before your interview. ;)
    Hal1 wrote: »
    You could try halfords Bubble Wrap, I'd say you'd get in there ;).

Ya, it would be a good idea. :o
    RoverJames wrote: »
    They'd give that discount to many regular non trade customers, the factors I used to work in years ago gave us stuff at cost price for your own car.

Oh goodie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

RoverJames wrote: »

+1. I get this from the 3 motor factors I use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Note to self : in future don't post up problems about own car on forum :P

Don't be worrying because

''first to see will buy''

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Thinking I might pick up this 728i at the weekend for parts. Always handy to have a parts car and I have the space for once!

..... wouldn't appeal to me really, wrong colour etc, can't see you requiring much off it tbh.

Handy to have a set of spare wheels alone. Will see what he takes for it, might part it all out to the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

+1. I get this from the 3 motor factors I use.

Buy a nice italian car MM, then you wouldnt need 3 motor factors:D:pac:

pred racer wrote: »
    Buy a nice italian car MM, then you wouldnt need 3 motor factors:D:pac:

Haha true, I'd need to OWN 3 of them :pac:

I don't get my parts from motor factors, just a lot of my detailing/valeting stuff.

I think im in love!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3411000

Why did I have kids:cool:

• Advertisement

Thinking I might pick up this 728i at the weekend for parts. Always handy to have a parts car and I have the space for once!

I saw a 7'er yesterday evening on the Tonlegee Road that looked mightily like yours. Alloys were ridiculously new looking on it as well. Wasn't you by any chance was it? :)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3491457

The above is the result of someone thinking Satin Silver is the same as Reflex silver.

Handy to have a set of spare wheels alone. Will see what he takes for it, might part it all out to the UK.

That is a great idea if you got space for it.

The fella I know used to drive a 750i on Lithuanian reg, amd he had one 750i just for parts. Then he bough xj8 Irish jag and one more just for spares. He was very good at looking after cars.

sheena1993 wrote: »
    i just failed my NCT on high emissions and was wondering whether it would be worth my while keeping it and try to fix it or to get rid and buy something else. i have a 01 ford focus.

Low idle: CO 4.94 vol%- above 0.50% is a fail
    HC 1,006ppm- above 0ppm is a fail

High Idle: Lambda: 0.67- not between 0.97 and 1.03 is a fail
    CO 11.89%- above 0.30% is a fail
    HC 1,779ppm- above 200ppm is a fail

What do you think i should do. i would appreciate any advice.

Move on :)

is it burning oil, yeah?

The above is the result of someone thinking Satin Silver is the same as Reflex silver.

Someone needs to TEXT that guy and let him know! :D

• Advertisement

dar83 wrote: »
    I saw a 7'er yesterday evening on the Tonlegee Road that looked mightily like yours. Alloys were ridiculously new looking on it as well. Wasn't you by any chance was it? :)

Its long lost twin! Nope, not me.

Lol:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Guys - anybody know if there'd be issues installing seats from a 3door hatchback ST into a 5door saloon 2006 Ford Focus Ghia?

Again, didn't think it deserved its own thread but tell me to píss off if needs be :)

I've done some looking online and so far I've only seen people saying that the Recaro ST seats from an ST wouldn't fit as the release mechanism is at the bottom of the seats, however from looking at the seats I can tell that they're located at the top - same as mine.

Would appreciate any input greatly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Lads can I use Castrol Edge 5w 30 to service my 2.0TD Avensis non D4D. I presume I can as I have a lot of here and I want to use it up..

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Lads can I use Castrol Edge 5w 30 to service my 2.0TD Avensis non D4D. I presume I can as I have a lot of here and I want to use it up..

Did you check online? Any idea what Toyota specify? If you can't, I'll take it all off your hands :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You'll use it up no bother I'd say

I've only used mineral oil for daysuls in it .

Did you check online? Any idea what Toyota specify? If you can't, I'll take it all off your hands :D

I never looked but Castrol reckons its ok. I would give it you no bother but its a mixture of other stuff to. The MPS might not be as forgiving as the Eventless...

You'll have some craic getting the oil filter off...

You'll have some craic getting the oil filter off...

GRrrrrrrrrr... Why???. I have the back brakes stripped of it. They failed the NCT over no braking performance..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Looking at getting a full ITG induction kit and a Miltek turbo-back next month.....

Oh dear.....

• Advertisement

GRrrrrrrrrr... Why???. I have the back brakes stripped of it. They failed the NCT over no braking performance..

Too many handbrake turns i suppose.

The oil filter is at the back of the engine near the top, it's a bit of a pain to get to and oil will spill everywhere if you don't take precautions. You need to remove a few bits to get to the filter.

Is that all it failed on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I find the Halfords website handy for checking what oil is suitable for various cars.

Link

Oddly enough halfords don't even sell the filter for a TD avensis

PaulieC wrote: »
    Guys - anybody know if there'd be issues installing seats from a 3door hatchback ST into a 5door saloon 2006 Ford Focus Ghia?

Again, didn't think it deserved its own thread but tell me to píss off if needs be :)

I've done some looking online and so far I've only seen people saying that the Recaro ST seats from an ST wouldn't fit as the release mechanism is at the bottom of the seats, however from looking at the seats I can tell that they're located at the top - same as mine.

Would appreciate any input greatly :)

As long as they're both MkII Focii, so they will be a direct swap. The only issue you'll have is the front seats will obviously be the 3-door version, so will have the release handle (at the top, yes) ;)

Too many handbrake turns i suppose.

The oil filter is at the back of the engine near the top, it's a bit of a pain to get to and oil will spill everywhere if you don't take precautions. You need to remove a few bits to get to the filter.

Is that all it failed on?

I am a bit long in the tooth for handbrake turns.. Yep it flew through everything else, thanks for the heads up on the filter because I have tarmac all around the house.

I am a bit long in the tooth for handbrake turns..

Meh,

I know men in their 60's still drag racing! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,061 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Meh,

I know men in their 60's still in drag;)

Can we get back to the topic of cars and leave your weekend activities out of it..

Quazzie wrote: »
    Can we get back to the topic of cars and leave your weekend activities out of it..

Funny guy! :D

IMG_0659.jpg

• Advertisement

I also like the beading SH. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement