Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016 Galway West

Options
  • 04-02-2016 2:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

NUIG SU have a hustings for the constituency on Thursday 4 Feb, O’hEocha Theatre, NUIG @ 1800.
    This is an excellent set-up as you can pose questions to the candidates on why they are running and outline the matters that concern you.
    Confirmed so far:
    Catherine Connolly (Ind)
    John Connolly (Fianna Fáil)
    Mike Cubbard (Ind)
    Fidelma Healy Eames (Ind)
    Tommy Holohan (AAA-PBP)
    Derek Nolan (Labour)
    Trevor Ó Clochartaigh (Sinn Féin)
    John O'Mahony (Fine Gael)
    Niall O'Tuathail (Social Democrats)
    Seamus Sheridan (Green Party)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

snubbleste wrote: »
    NUIG SU have a hustings for the constituency on Thursday 4 Feb, O’hEocha Theatre, NUIG @ 1800.
    This is an excellent set-up as you can pose questions to the candidates on why they are running and outline the matters that concern you.
    Confirmed so far:
    Catherine Connolly (Ind)
    John Connolly (Fianna Fáil)
    Mike Cubbard (Ind)
    Fidelma Healy Eames (Ind)
    Tommy Holohan (AAA-PBP)
    Derek Nolan (Labour)
    Trevor Ó Clochartaigh (Sinn Féin)
    John O'Mahony (Fine Gael)
    Niall O'Tuathail (Social Democrats)
    Seamus Sheridan (Green Party)

Seems a poor enough turn out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I went to the 2011 one.
    Fidelma was really entertaining at talking nonsense, and she was running for FG at the time. She could not even answer questions properly. Cuív Eamonn Ó was contrite as an outgoing FF minister

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I went to the 2011 one.
    Fidelma was really entertaining at talking nonsense, and she was running for FG at the time. She could not even answer questions properly. Cuív Eamonn Ó was contrite as an outgoing FF minister
    Thank you for citing Cuivs name correctly. Says a lot about how a man views the electorate that he'll change his surname by deed poll to appear a couple of rungs high on the ballot sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭Ficheall

All I want from the candidates is that they don't put up those hideous posters all over the place, or shove spam through my letter box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Damn I will miss this, I have a date!
    Let me know how they get on.

• Advertisement

Damn I will miss this, I have a date!
    Let me know how they get on.
    Wha? It's the perfect place to bring a date.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ficheall wrote: »
    All I want from the candidates is that they don't put up those hideous posters all over the place, or shove spam through my letter box.

Safe to say that will be happening.

Current odds 04/02/16
    jiXTZby.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I would be interested in attending this and providing updates.
    Can anybody tell me have they Whiffy back there?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

One of the posters on a pole in Eyre Sq, the pedestrian crossing to the hotel, is actually in front of, and covering, the traffic lights.
    Great job, poster-hanger-upper!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

sgthighway wrote: »
    I would be interested in attending this and providing updates.
    Can anybody tell me have they Whiffy back there?

By back there you mean in the time machine?

You're a few hours late :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Current odds 04/02/16
    jiXTZby.png?1

I am not so sure.
    I think Kyne will struggle. I really do.
    O'Cuiv and Grealish will take seats.
    Trevor, hard to call the SF vote.
    O'Mahony is a hard one to call after the move from Mayo.
    Connolly has a really good chance. She is growing on me too.
    I think Nolan is gone.
    Naughton might just do it this time.
    Eames - no chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

biko wrote: »
    One of the posters on a pole in Eyre Sq, the pedestrian crossing to the hotel, is actually in front of, and covering, the traffic lights.

Anyone in the city to take a picture of this? Who's the offending candidate?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

biko wrote: »

Name and shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭weshtawake

I think Kyne will suffer from the horrendous ongoing roadworks in Moycullen village. Even though most likely powerless to do anything about it i do think people will vent their frustration on him.

Hmm... anyone there to confirm/refute?

https://twitter.com/Jensteve/status/695611580919214080

Zzippy wrote: »

I don't know but she seems to have an axe to grind with Nolan & Labour.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I was there (I'm biased in favour of the Social Democrats, and I'll admit that straight away) but Kyne and Nolan were chatting to each other while other candidates were talking, and just being disrespectful to most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Take this 'woman' with a pinch of salt. I was sitting beside her... i'm convinced herself and Eames are civil partners. Clapping like made for anything Eames said (or sputtered manure, rather), silent for the rest.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Take this 'woman' with a pinch of salt. I was sitting beside her... i'm convinced herself and Eames are civil partners. Clapping like made for anything Eames said (or sputtered manure, rather), silent for the rest.

Looking at a few of the loons Twitter posts would indicate a certain bias!

• Advertisement

Newstalk currently predict 2 FG, 1 FF, 2 Ind
    Kyne, O'Mahony, CuívÓ, Connolly, Grealish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

They are a very uninspiring bunch.

It doesn't seem that long ago that now matter who was in government we would have a minister. I just can't even imagine any of them being put in charge of an under 7 soccer team not alone being incharge of running part of the country.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Ficheall wrote: »

Agreed.

At the suggestion of Westport Tidy Towns' Committee the candidates do not put up posters in Westport Urban Area.

I already see some posters in various centres on traffic lights, at junctions and other places where they are a distraction and a traffic hazard

Is Nicola Daveron (Renua) living in the constituency? Her practice seems to be in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Is Nicola Daveron (Renua) living in the constituency? Her practice seems to be in Dublin.

This is what they have on their site about her

I thought she was originally from Headford

http://www.renuaireland.com/2015/12/21/nicola-daveron/

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭saltsun

Robbo wrote: »
    Thank you for citing Cuivs name correctly. Says a lot about how a man views the electorate that he'll change his surname by deed poll to appear a couple of rungs high on the ballot sheet.

Trevor is doing the same, on election posters at least, I'll assume the ballot paper will be similar.
    Newstalk currently predict 2 FG, 1 FF, 2 Ind
    Kyne, O'Mahony, CuívÓ, Connolly, Grealish

I think it'll be O'Cuiv, Kyne, Grealish, O'Clohertaigh, the last seat will be a scrap between O'Mahony, Connolly, and Nolan.

saltsun wrote: »
    Trevor is doing the same, on election posters at least, I'll assume the ballot paper will be similar.

I think it'll be O'Cuiv, Kyne, Grealish, O'Clohertaigh, the last seat will be a scrap between O'Mahony, Connolly, and Nolan.

I think Kyne may be under threat. Himself and Nolan have been invisible the last 5 years. O'Mahony may well take the only FG seat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭saltsun

I think Kyne may be under threat. Himself and Nolan have been invisible the last 5 years. O'Mahony may well take the only FG seat

I would agree Nolan is an invisible man, having heard complaints to that effect from people who voted Labour last time out.

But, I'd strongly disagree that Kyne has been invisible. I would say his seat is quite safe, he'll be in the top three if not the top two. O'Mahony won't be taking all the Mayo votes, O'Cuiv wasn't long in attending mass in Ballinrobe, possibly even before the change was officially announced. O'Mahony is a parachutist, Galway West would be nuts to elect someone (AFAIK) living in Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

As much as I won't be voting for the guy, I don't think I'd consider Kyne invisible: He's been in the media doing and saying "things" over the last five years.

Nolan on the other hand is a complete mystery. His poster slogan should be "Remember me?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think Nolan is media friendly enough. He's on the radio/in the papers fairly frequently. Kyne is most likely safe. I think O' Cuiv, Kyne, Grealish, O' Clochartaigh and either Mahony or Connolly. I would imagine Trevor and Connolly will take a large share of the votes Derek got last time around.

Advertisement