Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

56km.
    Stillorgan - town - Howth hill easy side - malahide - clontarf - town - Stillorgan.

275km for the week.
    Legs starting to feel heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

35km spin before work, nice average on the way in and a slight tailwind to push me along. Looking forward to a weekend of spinning ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Scrumdog

I turned fifty today. I decided to prove that age is only a number. I went up bellewstown hill and the surrounding hills. Hey guess what, I was right!!! That bastar*d of a hill was just as hard today as it was last week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

RayCun wrote: »
    The driver should have seen you and given you space, he was more at fault

BUT

just because half the country doesn't know how to use a roundabout doesn't mean you have to be one of them. There are no marked lanes on that roundabout but there is an inside and an outside lane, and you should only take the inside lane if you are turning right

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

Was enjoying a nice 35k evening spin after work tonight, until I turned a corner and cycled through clouds of millions of tiny flies......:eek:
    They went up my nose, in my ears, inside my glasses and down my neck....thankfully mouth was kept firmly shut..... The evening was rounded off, when a Bumble bee flew into my helmut and stuck...this caused a massive bike wobble and the slamming on of brakes.
    After much head shaking & panic, the bee flew out. All the passing cars must have thought I was having some kind of seizure by the side of the road.
    Ahhh...The joys of a rural evening spin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

102km around sally gap done and dusted. average of 26.1km so happy with that. Not a sinner seen until I got towards bray

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Short 50k this morning. Terenure out to Enniskerry and back through tallaght. Lovely morning and getting warmer!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

70 km cycle out to Maynooth via clonee and dunboyne and then looped back by kilbride via clonee and leixlip.
    gorgeous out, even bought some sun block. Longest cycle yet too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

The Mrs won a night in Kilronan Castle, Co. Leitrim so we took advantage of it last night on the way to Sligo for Easter. She drove and I headed off on the bike and took a non-direct route to Sligo.
    Kilronan Castle - Keadue - along the west shore of Lough Allen - Drunkeeran - Dromahair - along the shore of Lough Gill - Sligo. 58km
    Fantastic cycling roads, cracking weather and lovely countryside.
    Really enjoyed this cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

55km today over Sally Gap. Great weather and little or no wind (for a change!). Set a load of PBs on both the Embankment and Sally Gap climbs so I'm well happy with that.

As the weather is so good, it's now time to plan a route for tomorrow. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zindicato

, 140kms over 2000 meters of climbs Friarstown, featherbeds, r115, laragh, wicklow gap, blessington lake, back to tallaght and after 110kms went back up friarstown featherbeds again, rathfarnham and stop over in rathmines to buy some Iso tablets in thinkbike:-) before going home http://www.strava.com/activities/131515726

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

200km Swords -> Shay Elliot, Slievemann, Sallygap and other stuff -> Swords

http://app.strava.com/activities/131536765

Amazing day in Wicklow, when the weather is like today there really aren't many better places to be on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zindicato

Inquitus wrote: »
    200km Swords -> Shay Elliot, Slievemann, Sallygap and other stuff -> Swords

http://app.strava.com/activities/131536765

Amazing day in Wicklow, when the weather is like today there really aren't many better places to be on a bike.

nice route will save it and try it in the next week or so:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

zindicato wrote: »
    nice route will save it and try it in the next week or so:);)

There's an apocalyptic stretch of road for about 5km in there somewhere just after Slievemann, it's very bad, but if you take it very handy tis grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Inquitus wrote: »
    There's an apocalyptic stretch of road for about 5km in there somewhere just after Slievemann, it's very bad, but if you take it very handy tis grand.

Or go the way we were meant to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Did my biggest climb to date today - El Teide (Tenerife). Practically 40kms of climbing to get to the summit.

http://www.strava.com/activities/131560629

(I should have cropped the last few kms - I couldn't find my hotel! :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I visited some friends who live less than two minutes from me and regaled them with my tale of my longest ever cycle. It was suggested that we go on a little spin somewhere for coffee some day. I had mentioned I was taking the day to recover from my previous three days' cycling but the idea of the cycling version of a pleasant amble to get some coffee and cake sounded good to me.

I was on my hybrid and my companion was on her little step through frame with a (second hand) Brooks saddle, skirt guard and a slow puncture as it turns out. We were out of the city-est part of the city quite quickly and had a casual 5km ride to Blackrock castle. Of course the café in Blackrock castle was closed but they sent us back down the hill to the Natural Bakery Company where we had a relaxing half hour of coffee and brownies (very good brownies, I do recommend.) Then we cycled back from a lovely spin out.

We cycled two abreast whenever we could and it was great. A casual cycle, chatting and taking it easy in the mild breeze was perfect for a sunny day off. Plans for a picnic and longer spin have been suggested. :D If anyone has a recommendation for a spot within 10km of Cork city, on a flat route that'd be good for a picnic I'd love to hear it. At the moment I'm thinking the Lee Field's area and out the straight road by the river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭jgreene83

First trip up to wicklow today, celbridge > saggart > brittas > manor kilbride > lake drive > kill > straffan > home. 83km in 3hrs, my biggest ride yet, avg speed 27.7km/h. Quite happy with that, speed droped off after straffan as I started to tire. Glorious up around the lakes though.

http://www.strava.com/activities/131564903

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

100k with Southside Wheely Wheelers decked out in boards gear

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

55k Celbridge>Straffan>Naas>Johnstown>Kill>Slade>Saggart>Rathcoole>Newcastle>home. Finally managed to climb all the way up McDonaghs lane to the top of Slade. Last time I tried I had to stop twice and this time made it all the way staying in the saddle the whole way up. I attribute it a tiny bit to improved fitness but mostly to an awesomely fast and light carbon bike that nicely flatters the fat lazy fecker riding it!. Love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

godtabh wrote: »
    .....Not a sinner seen until I got towards bray
    That's hardly surprising as you're usually out at the witching hour. Probably had the 100k done by 8am! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

130km and another Gran Fondo ticked off. :)
    Miserable windy day and got soaked at about the 60km mark
    http://www.strava.com/activities/131716512

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

not necessarily my cycle today, but was looking through some data from my last mtb trip to Rostrevor and noticed this! its only for a tiny section id say but look at the grade!
    20140419_111725_zpsldhs12ut.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Nice spin clontarf through enniskerry, Liam horner, featherbeds and back. Beautiful and loads out. Think about 80km. Messed up the garmin a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

55km today. Celbridge clane kilcock maynooth leixlip home. Longest spin to date. I am still a novice but God today was glorious. Really "got it" today. Sunshine all the way round.

It was also my first day with the clip ins. It does really help but I pulled in to stop after 30km and forgot I was clipped in. Toppled slowly to the side. Luckily it was on grass so I was grand and so is the bike. I have the De clipping sorted now I think, still shake clipping back in after a start from traffic lights.

All in all a great day though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

110km Johny Foxes, Embankment, Blessington, Nass, Celbridge and home. Gona have some eggs no to recover. Cadbury creme eggs

That's hardly surprising as you're usually out at the witching hour. Probably had the 100k done by 8am! :D

Got lonley today so went out a bit later. So loads of people and even got a few spotted in the new pink jersey a few times

That was a very tired post. Was meant to post this

Got lonley today so went out a bit later. Saw loads of people and even got spotted in the new pink jersey a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Went out this morning with the intentions of eh, blowing off the cobwebs etc with a short and hard spin.

Ended up doing 103km on a bit of a random signpost led route. 71km was my furthest so far.

Totally bummed out with the spin from Brittas to Tallaght :( Was really, really looking forward to zipping down the hills at huge speeds. Had a tough wind in my face and had to pedal down the hills. Plus being a dope I discovered near Tallaght that my light wind jacket zip had come halfway down and the jacket had basically been acting like a parachute brake :mad:

Anyways it was random...

Firhouse> Ballyfermot> Fonthill>Back end of Lucan> Newcastle> Athgoe Hill cos I am stupid (That was super tough) :( > N7??? > Rathcoole> back to Newcastle> Celbridge> Clane> Naas> Blessington> Manor Kilbride> Brittas> Tallaght> Firhouse.
    9gd62w.jpg

I had to ask where I was a few times and get directions.

Note to self: Stop to have a bite to eat in a town/village NOT at nice scenic points that then turn out to be in the middle of segments :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Went out this morning with the intentions of eh, blowing off the cobwebs etc with a short and hard spin.

Ended up doing 103km on a bit of a random signpost led route. 71km was my furthest so far.

Totally bummed out with the spin from Brittas to Tallaght :( Was really, really looking forward to zipping down the hills at huge speeds. Had a tough wind in my face and had to pedal down the hills. Plus being a dope I discovered near Tallaght that my light wind jacket zip had come halfway down and the jacket had basically been acting like a parachute brake :mad:

Anyways it was random...

Firhouse> Ballyfermot> Fonthill>Back end of Lucan> Newcastle> Athgoe Hill cos I am stupid (That was super tough) :( > N7??? > Rathcoole> back to Newcastle> Celbridge> Clane> Naas> Blessington> Manor Kilbride> Brittas> Tallaght> Firhouse.
    9gd62w.jpg

I had to ask where I was a few times and get directions.

Note to self: Stop to have a bite to eat in a town/village NOT at nice scenic points that then turn out to be in the middle of segments :P

Athgoe can be a b!tch no matter which way you approach it. Was my nemesis until this week when I finally put some sort of manners on it. Had been doing good work in the hills the past few weekends and then went back to it. Knocked 20secs off a PB on one of the segments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

97k with Moynalty CC. Around by Nobber, Drumconrath, Ardee, Carrickmacross, Kingscourt and Bailieboro. And up and over Loughinlea for the first time ever. A real lung buster that one. Loved the young fella at a gate that said " keep going lads, you just have the mountain to climb now and you're up". So wtf have we been doing for the last 3k I wondered. Great fun though and a perfect day for the bike..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement