Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

GvidoR wrote: »
    After coming home a little past midnight, opened the front passenger side door and tried to open the window, as it did not open about half an hour before that. Instead of normally sliding down, it just dropped down. Mind=blown, and it was obviously dark and all, so I covered the door with some plastic until the morning...........
    Took off the door panel. Turns out, the glass is only held up with just two whatchacallits. Snapped it back into place and was able to wind it up to the top.

At least you can fix yours. Went to put the driver's window down to use the buzzer to let me into the car park at work and nothing happened. Just whirring noises from the electric motor.

Took the door trim off thinking the window had popped out of the two whatchacallits but no. The fooking cable coming out of the motor has snapped. So it means no window for at least 3 weeks as it'll be then before I can sort it. Bloody annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

OSI wrote: »
    It'll end up falling out again. The plastic holding the glass is bonded to it with a special glue. Once that glue goes you won't be able to rebond it, only solution is a new window.

Wonder, wouldn't tiger seal do the job ? clean both surfaces , degrease with something , and stick tiger seal on, put somewhere under pressure for day or two. i would try go that way, before get new window.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

There are some plastics that would need special chemical activator to be used before applying a glue. Maybe aforementioned is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

renofan wrote: »
    At least you can fix yours. Went to put the driver's window down to use the buzzer to let me into the car park at work and nothing happened. Just whirring noises from the electric motor.

Took the door trim off thinking the window had popped out of the two whatchacallits but no. The fooking cable coming out of the motor has snapped. So it means no window for at least 3 weeks as it'll be then before I can sort it. Bloody annoying!

Owww... sorry to hear that. :(
    It'll end up falling out again. The plastic holding the glass is bonded to it with a special glue. Once that glue goes you won't be able to rebond it, only solution is a new window.

That seems quite excessive. Wouldn't it be possible to find this 'special glue' somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Wouldn't it be possible to find this 'special glue' somewhere?

I don't think they sell really strong grip glue to the public for safety reasons. It's like the glue they use to hold rear view mirrors. Ever have a car where the mirror falls off and no glue will hold it like the original.

• Advertisement

I don't think they sell really strong grip glue to the public for safety reasons. It's like the glue they use to hold rear view mirrors. Ever have a car where the mirror falls off and no glue will hold it like the original.

Or...

979cb0b31169b46e1f5e59b94f1e1a86.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

That's brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

After coming home a little past midnight, opened the front passenger side door and tried to open the window, as it did not open about half an hour before that. Instead of normally sliding down, it just dropped down. Mind=blown, and it was obviously dark and all, so I covered the door with some plastic until the morning.

Took off the door panel. Turns out, the glass is only held up with just two whatchacallits. Snapped it back into place and was able to wind it up to the top.
    Then it was time to put everything back in place.

Tadah!

This is a comman problem on VWs Boras mk4 golfs and seat telidos. Them whatchacallits can break. It happened to a friend of mine he bought an 02 mk4 golf there 3 weeks ago. The mechanic told him to put water and washing up liquid down inside the door frame to lubricate the new set of whatchacallits. As oil can make the rubbers (giggidy) swell. (But to be honest I don't think id ever use washing up liquid.) Although it did seem to do the trick on the electric windows on the golf. They now go up and down like a fiddlers elbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Rough the glass and plastic up with sand paper. Bit of tec 7. Wait 24 hours. Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Is whatchacallits the name of an actual part, or am I just not awake yet? I think it's the latter :pac:

• Advertisement

It's the technical term, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

job seeker wrote: »
    This is a comman problem on VWs Boras mk4 golfs and seat telidos. Them whatchacallits can break. It happened to a friend of mine he bought an 02 mk4 golf there 3 weeks ago. The mechanic told him to put water and washing up liquid down inside the door frame to lubricate the new set of whatchacallits. As oil can make the rubbers (giggidy) swell. (But to be honest I don't think id ever use washing up liquid.) Although it did seem to do the trick on the electric windows on the golf. They now go up and down like a fiddlers elbow.

Both front regulator clamps on my 00 Bora were "plastic" and cracked up after about 3 or 4 years, I bought replacement kits in the main VW dealers (approx €60 each) these had aluminium or some form of diecast material for the regulator clamps and (touch wood) never gave trouble after that.
    Just checked my maintenance records.....the first replacement was in 2006 and the second was in 2007 so I would expect that all the front window regulator clamps would have been manufactured from metal from around 2005/2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

My Navara failed it's CVRT last week on a worn steering idle arm.

So today I swapped it out.

1_zpss1sc0h8y.jpg

Got it tracked

2_zpsz6rtjb0q.jpg

Little visit here

3_zpsoxvrcxj0.jpg

And just like that passed, they didn't even charge for the re-test.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Is whatchacallits the name of an actual part, or am I just not awake yet? I think it's the latter :pac:

Well, really it's a whatchamacallit. It could also be a thingamabob or a doohickey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Nothing major, but the electric windows had started to become a bit slow to move over the last while. It was getting annoying at toll boths and the window stopped halfway down one night at a garda checkpoint.... Sprayed down a bit of silicone spray onto the runners and they're now back running up and down quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Long time, no see :D

NCT failed on handbrake which I suspected it might - its a common enough issue on the MR2 to happen I believe

On further inspection the passenger side was seized half open and the drivers side was working but on the way out

Picked up 2 PAGID handbrake cables on eurocarparts that come in a nifty racing blue :P

FF974D624D7B42D291F27EED6B9A3B95-0000370971-0003734308-00960L-4CD28DCFB8D945A7BBFCA776279271C4.jpg

My cables were like this:

Before:

D651228BA90A4D4DA1BC96B6F6894FC8-0000370971-0003734307-00960L-03BEFD7550C2421A8D4C8B835BCFA1FD.jpg

A994381B49AE4FCC96000A2EAE76888B-0000370971-0003734306-00960L-B63A148057DB463391BA2410B3050389.jpg

20 minutes passenger side - 1.5 hours drivers - could not shift the clevis pin on the handbrake -blowtorch, vicegrips, hammer nothing would shift her - in the end I used a balljoint separator and a deep impact wrench socket to take the pin - out in a minute grrrrr -

BDE5399D5C6840C191A7D110F3CBDEC4-0000370971-0003734305-00960L-CF613C696F5B4F81BE8B763F33BAB6C1.jpg

Rusted clevis pin - can to file rust off both this and the holder as it wouldn't fit back in

97DA39BE95B0451093E317FC5264E844-0000370971-0003734304-00960L-94DEDBD5894649FAABF695D125783A38.jpg

Well I've now a working handbrake again , its the small things in life you take for granted :)

677A3C3B7C2042D89B3298B030961F3D-0000370971-0003734303-00960L-A9C757EEBF2B4AE7A7AFFE577BC9E326.jpg

3E6908204BE84554B68382C670DDA0FA-0000370971-0003734309-00800L-5CAB4F517B2C4C1E9FB6DB6384EAB0AE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Replaced the aftermarket mats with brand new OEM BMW F10 mats in the e39. I read somewhere they fit just fine in the e39 so I gave it a go. No longer possible to get e39 mats from the dealer. Indeed fitting is just fine.

20150228_131117.jpg

20150228_135544.jpg

20150228_135605.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Ordered wind deflectors, red front and rear badges, LEDs and new number plates.

Expensive month for the MR2 trying to get through the NCT - 2 handbrake cables, a bit of welding on the drivers seat floor bolt and finally binned the accelera tyres on the front that were on it when I got it - to be fair they weren't the worst - reverted back to stock front from 205/50/15 to 195/55/15 - a pair of Contintental PremiumContact 5's on the front - and another pair of Falken Ze912's 225/50/15 on the rear after doing a whopping 22,000 miles they were well and truly worn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

What model acceleras? Found Accelera Alphas to be pretty much what you'd expect from a tyre cheaper than ling long, sailun, hifly, sunni, maxtrek etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What model acceleras? Found Accelera Alphas to be pretty much what you'd expect from a tyre cheaper than ling long, sailun, hifly, sunni, maxtrek etc.

Yeah my car used to have acceleras on the previous set of wheels, and they were getting quite scary towards the end in the wet; despite having plenty of thread left.

Yeah my car used to have acceleras on the previous set of wheels, and they were getting quite scary towards the end in the wet; despite having plenty of thread left.
    Wet Braking rated E. For "EEEEEEEK!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Spent the day trying to figure out some electrical gremlins..

So, blower/heater not working - Motor is fine and runs grand with direct 12v, relay clicks when buttons are pushed so I'm thinking it's the resistor so hopefully get one of those off Mr.Bishi tomorrow.

The game of chance when turning on the lights - just have to be indicating left when turning on the lights and all is fine :confused: Going to get a set of stalks anyway.

Also have a freshly seized caliper on the opposing side to the one I changed a few weeks back, think its just the sliders stuck though...

I actually hate that bag of shite now

Can't make it out - but I will say they weren't too bad - the ones I had were made in Indonesia I know that much - probably got a middle of the road ones as they weren't too bad - running them the last 4 years and no issues stoopping in wet

Was being a bit cheap and should have binned them ages ago but I lived to tell the tale - I binned the ones on the back as it was dancing on every corner

these are them if you can make it out- :
    I think they were called phoenix or something

img1501medium.jpg

Greek symbol alpha there as far as I can see. Rated alpha for nothing at all. Omega for many.

Lucky you didn't have em on the rear of an MR2!

Greek symbol alpha there as far as I can see. Rated alpha for nothing at all. Omega for many.

Lucky you didn't have em on the rear of an MR2!

I did I binned the rear ones 4 years ago - dancing on every corner.

Most of my visual parts have arrived.

Car in in getting service, driveshaft bearing, cv boot, front brake discs and pads, tracking and 2 tyres. Also the air conditioning is being topped up. Should run like a dream then. Next step will be to put it through NCT.

Actually quick question, car is may 2008 and never had nct done, if it passed say next week how long would i get the test for?

2 years.

Thanks. Didnt know whether it was that or just til next May when it should be due if it was through the original procedure (08-12, 12-14, 14-16)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

bmstuff wrote: »
    Replaced the aftermarket mats with brand new OEM BMW F10 mats in the e39. I read somewhere they fit just fine in the e39 so I gave it a go. No longer possible to get e39 mats from the dealer. Indeed fitting is just fine.

20150228_131117.jpg

20150228_135544.jpg

20150228_135605.jpg

Where from and how much? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

I am away myself at the minute but the avesnis passed the NCT

Advertisement