Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No makeup selfie.

167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Obliq wrote: »
    A friend of mine got nominated for the cock in the sock thing. Luckily, he keeps poultry. Cue photo of his large and angry looking cock(-adoodledoo) in a santa sock (only one big enough apparently) with "Take that, cancer!". Credit where it's due.

That's fcuking brilliant! :D

Yeah, even if people did something like that, that made people laugh, I wouldn't have such an issue with the whole selfie4cancer thing or whatever they're calling it.

I'm getting confused now with all these selfie phenomena, the "selfie Olympics" (watching 'The Voice' the other night and it came back from an ad break and the presenter goes - "Oh sorry, myself and Kylie were just taking a selfie").

My wife has had three or four nominations since and the irony is, she has tons of photos in her albums with no make up on, but when she thinks about putting up a photo with no make up on for a specific purpose, she's like "Nooo...", I think I'd best keep my mouth shut :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Don't beat yourself up Legs! It shouldn't be such a big deal, whether you do or don't have a pic, but that's the nature of face book. We are all avatars.

Ah I'm not really but it's interesting to observe my own thought process when I was so defensive of it initially. Perhaps if it hadn't been so criticised, I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

It didn't keep me up last night anyway but interesting to see what it felt like to be nominated as a 33-year-old woman who's reasonably secure about her appearance. Can't imagine how I would've felt if I was 16 when I didn't like how I looked at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I've never been on Facebook but the amount of peer pressure surrounding it amazes me.

Even people trying to pressure me into setting one up and asking do I not feel left out by not being on it, and this is from grown men and women, it causes a lot of insecurities in some people.

And then to throw in guilt on top when it comes to charities, its just not nice. I mean would people head into work one day and say to a colleague in a meeting "I nominate you here in front of all these people to pay x amount to charity", its just rude, if people want to donate then they will, the nomination aspect is something I don't agree with. But because its on Facebook everybody feels they have to to save face and the cycle continues. In any normal situation you'd tell someone where to go if they tried to pressure you into something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Ah I'm not really but it's interesting to observe my own thought process when I was so defensive of it initially. Perhaps if it hadn't been so criticised, I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

It didn't keep me up last night anyway but interesting to see what it felt like to be nominated as a 33-year-old woman who's reasonably secure about her appearance. Can't imagine how I would've felt if I was 16 when I didn't like how I looked at all.

Yeah, I was interested about my thought processes too, having utterly changed from "this is such a gimmick" to "this is an interesting social experiment, leading to awareness about appearance insecurities". I'd be pretty horrified if I was nominated to WEAR make up, given what I've been saying about it (that's happening to a lot of my lesbian friends btw, who don't as a rule, wear any...). I'd struggle with WHY I was doing it/not doing it too.

And yeah, my eldest is gone into school today ready to support and congratulate his girlfriends for bravery in the face of social convention. I think it's been useful to the young wans.

Yeah, I was interested about my thought processes too, having utterly changed from "this is such a gimmick" to "this is an interesting social experiment, leading to awareness about appearance insecurities". I'd be pretty horrified if I was nominated to WEAR make up, given what I've been saying about it (that's happening to a lot of my lesbian friends btw, who don't as a rule, wear any...). I'd struggle with WHY I was doing it/not doing it too.

And yeah, my eldest is gone into school today ready to support and congratulate his girlfriends for bravery in the face of social convention. I think it's been useful to the young wans.

Geez, I have to be honest, I'd see that as putting unnecessary pressure on oneself the very same as women who insist they have to wear make up, or am I missing some point? They choose not to wear make up on principle or something?

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Geez, I have to be honest, I'd see that as putting unnecessary pressure on oneself the very same as women who insist they have to wear make up, or am I missing some point? They choose not to wear make up on principle or something?

No, they don't see the need. Like me, and all ye fellas.

(edit: I meant "as a rule" to mean "generally". The principal would be the same as my own, I imagine. As in, why should I? What's wrong with my actual face, like?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

I see Mary Lou McDonald has jumped on the bandwagon. (breaking news)

But maybe she could donate to something like the victims of ira murders.

I see Mary Lou McDonald has jumped on the bandwagon. (breaking news)

But maybe she could donate to something like the victims of ira murders.

I don't honestly see what's worse about Mary Lou jumping on the selfie bandwagon than anyone else doing it? I'm not seeing it as a nefarious political move, that's for sure. No more than anyone else being political about whether they do/don't do the selfie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Got a text from 50300 asking if I'd intended to donate as much as I had and a link to a website if i needed a refund because apparently they've been accidentally double billing people.

No double billing for me, thankfully :)

Got a text from 50300 asking if I'd intended to donate as much as I had and a link to a website if i needed a refund because apparently they've been accidentally double billing people.

The huge unexpected swarm in donations probably overloaded the service providers systems. The next pressure now is going to be who took refunds and who didn't, and of course those who said they want a refund will be the worst in the world.

• Advertisement

Might explain why my call credit ran out yesterday! Except I never know how much I have left anyway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Czarcasm wrote: »
    The huge unexpected swarm in donations probably overloaded the service providers systems. The next pressure now is going to be who took refunds and who didn't, and of course those who said they want a refund will be the worst in the world.

Yeah, they issued an apology and said the amount of donations was unprecedented.

I'm just really fcuking generous though, so no double billing for me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

I hear you. I hate being photographed, but what I hate more is that I won't decline in case people think I'm vain. I don't mean at happy gatherings when you're all in a big smiley huggy heap - I mean on average nights out when someone whips out a phone and there goes your buzz in a half-blink of a red eye. You can't win. But it is an imposition, and one that I wouldn't put on anyone else. I actually prefer photos taken when people are going about their business only slightly aware of the camera. People look so beautiful like that.

Oddly enough, no one has nominated me for a make-up free selfie. I think it's because I don't wear makeup. And I'm caustic. :D

Id like to express an opinion on this particular topic...but first.....let me take a selfie! :pac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdemFfbS5H0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

Festy wrote: »

Did you make that page?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Catphish

A new low has been found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭happyviolet

Festy wrote: »

Jesus Christ, can no one keep anything private anymore? :confused:

Advertisement