Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung galaxy note 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Three blanch have in stock if anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭leemaree

02 are a joke on this phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Do tell.. do do they have them behind the counter and not telling anyone?

Well done BTW... enjoy it! Yep work will shot me too but easier get forgiveness than permission

It was the Grafton Street store (I think I had mentioned that earlier?)

I got the last Vodafone one, they had held it due to the mess up this morning but the manager had told me that someone went in and offered €100 to him personallly to sell it to him instead of holding it for me!

They had a few left on other networks at 12PM today but it might be worthwhile to give them a buzz to see if they had stock.

Hope you get sorted with one Paddy!

Also, to note, they had no promo or any signs to say they had it in stock at all. When I asked him if they had a demo phone they said it wasn't in yet but should be in by the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

If you flash the non branded UK firmware does that mean you will still get all the updates push out by Samsung in the future or will you have to flash the new firmware every time there is an update? Think I'll be doing the same but going to wait a few months as warranty is voided once you root.

You don't have to root to flash the official firmwares and the device stays official and gets updated normally. Rooting doesn't void the warranty anymore in any case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Let's see how it works out tomorrow.. still thinking of going to Dundrum launch event but if they have the launch and no phones to sell then I won't be a happy bunny!

Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

griffdaddy wrote: »
    You don't have to root to flash the official firmwares and the device stays official and gets updated normally. Rooting doesn't void the warranty anymore in any case

But if you trip the Knox flag while doing the update, you're warranty is void isn't it? And that can happen while flashing with Odin, if anything interrupts the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

If you flash the non branded UK firmware does that mean you will still get all the updates push out by Samsung in the future or will you have to flash the new firmware every time there is an update? Think I'll be doing the same but going to wait a few months as warranty is voided once you root.

Flashing stock firmware will get the updates once you reset the phone and the csc matches the firmware you flashed.
    Stock firmware doesn't trip knox

markad1 wrote: »
    Flashing stock firmware will get the updates once you reset the phone and the csc matches the firmware you flashed.
    Stock firmware doesn't trip knox

But if the CSC doesn't match you need to run the CSC Changer to match it up, and to do that you need root, and once you root the Knox flag gets changed to 0x1?

Sorry, just want to help people avoid invalidating their warranties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Sorry such a lazy question but considering getting this...

What's the difference between this and say the Samsung S5? Bigger screen I see but is it a better processor? In terms of normal smart phone functions I presume it does everything other phones do?

• Advertisement

Sorry such a lazy question but considering getting this...

What's the difference between this and say the Samsung S5? Bigger screen I see but is it a better processor? In terms of normal smart phone functions I presume it does everything other phones do?

Hi,

It has a QHD screen so much higher resolution than the S5. The processor is much more powerful and is next generation (805 as opposed to 801). It has 50 percent more RAM (3GB as opposed to 2GB). It doesn't have the waterproof properties of the S5. The physical size of the S5 is increased to cater for waterproof. Reviews say that the Note series is the real flagship device Samsung release every year because the specs are bumped up. It also has a stylus which includes a lot more functions than the S5. The Note 4 would be considered more a business phone than the S5. As far as using as a normal phone, maybe you don't need the extra features of the Note 4. In day to day use it may be unnoticeable the extra power.

Just realised Vodafone were tweeting about having it in stock. Only €599 for pay as you go....decent price, even cheaper than last year.

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/samsung-galaxy-note-4-pay-as-you-go-black

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

griffdaddy wrote: »

Interesting didn't realise you didn't need root for official firmware? What is the process for flashing the official firmware. Do you use Odin? Where do you get the firmware from?

Have you a link or anything to backup what you're saying about the rooting doesn't void warranty, I'd be very surprised if that were the case? That's why everyone is so worried about tripping the knox counter when you root isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,930 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Mine is getting delivered to the office in the morning :)

Basil3 wrote: »
    Just realised Vodafone were tweeting about having it in stock. Only €599 for pay as you go....decent price, even cheaper than last year.

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/samsung-galaxy-note-4-pay-as-you-go-black

Are they easily unlockable? Thinking to get this but on three myself.

OK, off to Dundrum to see what's happening.. wife will have to take kids to soccer practice. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Interesting didn't realise you didn't need root for official firmware? What is the process for flashing the official firmware. Do you use Odin? Where do you get the firmware from?

Have you a link or anything to backup what you're saying about the rooting doesn't void warranty, I'd be very surprised if that were the case? That's why everyone is so worried about tripping the knox counter when you root isn't it?

You still use Odin, you just download the official firmware from sammobile.com. I always use it if an update is taking ages to reach my device. My note 3 is the first phone I haven't rooted but I'm considering it at the moment just to get the S5 firmware on it (and subsequently Note 4 firmware once someone whips up a rom) I think it's more people in other jurisdictions that are worried about rooting invalidating the warranty. It definitely doesn't affect the warranty in the EU. Might not look good if you get a picky buyer when you sell it on to buy 4K 7inch 26GB ram Note 5 next year though :pac:.

http://piana.eu/root
    http://www.xda-developers.com/xda-tv-2/your-warranty-is-not-void-xda-tv/
    http://matija.suklje.name/rooting-and-flashing-your-device-does-not-void-the-warranty-in-eu

Edit: I should also mention that I have a Note 3 that was originally on Vodafone and flashed the generic UK firmware as soon as I got it. Knox isn't tripped an I receive the updates as if it was a sim free model. (It is essentially a sim free model now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

OK, off to Dundrum to see what's happening.. wife will have to take kids to soccer practice. :eek:

Can you give us an update when you get there? If they have much stock etc? Im thinking about going later but its quite out of the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Finally just got my dispatch email from O2. Should arrive nice and early tomorrow and just in time for the long weekend. I would have went mad if they shipped it tomorrow and had me waiting until Tuesday for delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Bought one of theses today with Vodafone and they complete mess up my port from meteor as they took down my wrong details and was unable to get someone to speak to me on the phone as they said i have no account with them

Was never told my port was refused on to i called them as i was wondering it took so long.

Basically they told me the only thing they can do is for me to travel 60KM tomorrow to go back to the store to do the port again witch is the biggest joke ever in my life as i never been refused a port over the phone before.

They all made me pay a extra 150 euros up front witch i found extremely odd as i have had a bill phone in my own name for the past 4 years and have my home internet with them as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

Couldn't locate one in limerick today absolute joke what the chances of more being delivered tomorrow?

• Advertisement

Switched on the note 4....O2 logo, the csc says O2I. In the process of downloading UK unbranded firmware.....I'll let you know how that goes :)

I'm not liking the lines on the recent tasks or back buttons...it's also on the notification led:(

Switched on the note 4....O2 logo, the csc says O2I. In the process of downloading UK unbranded firmware.....I'll let you know how that goes :)

Ah, i suspected as much. The S4 was the only device I got from O2 with zero branding and was also sim free.

Let me know what firmware your going with and if you can send on a link.

I take it your using the latest Odin 3.10 for flashing.

Thor wrote: »
    Ah, i suspected as much. The S4 was the only device I got from O2 with zero branding and was also sim free.

Let me know what firmware your going with and if you can send on a link.

I take it your using the latest Odin 3.10 for flashing.

Me too please :)

Other half wanted to go Dundrum so decided to pop out with her.. into Samsung and the place is empty. They have plenty of Vodafone stock but not much of other networks. Hope this helps.

Got talking to a sales rep and he said it was a joke how it was handled..

Basically a power cut in the warehouse delayed delivery and some shops had their deliveries delayed by a day leading to all the confusion..

YES....samsung logo and csc is BTU so its good for the official updates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

What's people's problems with having carrier branding out of interest? Seen a few posts wanting to remove it

8-10 wrote: »
    What's people's problems with having carrier branding out of interest? Seen a few posts wanting to remove it

I don't like the O2 apps and O2 startup logo. Also the software updates for the carriers are usually slower.

8-10 wrote: »

The Vodafone one doesn't seem too bad. No logo on start up, just a few crappy apps which I was able to uninstall anyway.

• Advertisement

OREGATO wrote: »
    Other half wanted to go Dundrum so decided to pop out with her.. into Samsung and the place is empty. They have plenty of Vodafone stock but not much of other networks. Hope this helps.

Got talking to a sales rep and he said it was a joke how it was handled..

Basically a power cut in the warehouse delayed delivery and some shops had their deliveries delayed by a day leading to all the confusion..

Went to Dundrum earlier and no sign of any launch event in the CPW Samsung shop. There was no Vodafone stock so maybe they got a delivery? The actual Vodafone store told me to come back tomorrow as no stock till then.

All in all a wasted trip and €2 for parking down the drain.

adamski8 wrote: »
    Can you give us an update when you get there? If they have much stock etc? Im thinking about going later but its quite out of the way

Sorry too late.. Nothing there at all. Have to try again tomorrow. Working in City centre so will go to Vodafone on Grafton St during the morning. The quest might finally come to an end..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Sorry too late.. Nothing there at all. Have to try again tomorrow. Working in City centre so will go to Vodafone on Grafton St during the morning. The quest might finally come to an end..

Thats terrible

Just put a 3 sim in my O2 note 4......guess what......it worked the mobile is not locked to O2. ...happy days

Just put a 3 sim in my O2 note 4......guess what......it worked the mobile is not locked to O2. ...happy days

Now that sounds good. Didn't expect there to be branding and apps, but the device actually unlocked. In fact, I have never actually seen that before.

Strange. . What time were you there? The sales rep said he had a good few Vodafone ones in the back at around 7.30 this evening? Unless like you say they got a late delivery.. it was empty, no sign of an event.. they did have free Samsung cupcakes that looked rank.

I went in around 5:30ish and nothing then. Said maybe more in tomorrow. A shambles..

I went in around 5:30ish and nothing then. Said maybe more in tomorrow. A shambles..

The sales rep mentioned the same.. he was embarrassed at how bad it was handled. I'd say your best bet is to give them a buzz and see if they'll set one aside for you?

Thor wrote: »
    Now that sounds good. Didn't expect there to be branding and apps, but the device actually unlocked. In fact, I have never actually seen that before.

I was expecting sim locked and unbranded.
    Wonder if it had anything to do with flashing btu before any sim was used and using a 3 sim before an O2 one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm not liking the lines on the recent tasks or back buttons...it's also on the notification led:(

Yeah same, seems like an oversight on an otherwise well designed phone.

There's a bug on the youtube app. Some note 4''s are not seeing 4k option in the quality settings.
    A work around is to use the browser in desktop mode. Go to youtube.com and select 4k quality.
    It's very impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

There's a bug on the youtube app. Some note 4''s are not seeing 4k option in the quality settings.
    A work around is to use the browser in desktop mode. Go to youtube.com and select 4k quality.
    It's very impressive

Joy's of having good broadband. Able to watch 4k youtube. I can barely get 1080p to load for me.

Legend! :) Fingers crossed the one I get tomorrow is the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

Got one from CPW just before 9pm... they said that it was their first sale of Note 4, no one else bought it.

It was a prepay.

Can anyone check if app ops works without root as in stock 4.4.4, and if you are able to control location permission and keep awake for certain apps.

That's the only reason I root and would not like to have it if stock brings back this capibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ianofitz

I was going to start complaining about how NightLine didnt give me a time of when the phone was going to arrive BUT, then the doorbell rang. ITS HERE! I'm pretty excited for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I cant use my phone thanks to good old carphone warehouse messing up my port and vodafone refusing to do it over the phone ....

Anyone know if 02 have them?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭kave2

So went in to 3 CPW stores, one of them sold out, other 2 wouldn't sell on PAYG. 2 Vodafone stores sold out. That's in Galway. Pissed off, long weekend and no phone.

kave2 wrote: »
    So went in to 3 CPW stores, one of them sold out, other 2 wouldn't sell on PAYG. 2 Vodafone stores sold out. That's in Galway. Pissed off, long weekend and no phone.

Vodafone have them online

• Advertisement
Advertisement