Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The M50 Barrier Free Tolling Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cgwils

superjosh9 wrote: »
    I drove back from the airport on Friday and used the M50 for the first time since the introduction of this silly scheme. Now, I don't quite know how - it may have been to do with the big trucks on the road of which there were many - but I totally missed the cameras! Was also surprised at the signage or lack of, from the point of view of someone new here etc. I found the whole thing quite baffling.

Now, so immersed with my back from the airport activities - I actually and *genuinely* forgot to pay for the toll. Certainly wasn't intentional, but I was very very tired and it just disappeared out of my head altogether.

I also *genuinely* forgot to pay two weeks ago. Not sure what to do now. Didn't get anything in the post yet. Does anybody know how long it takes them to fine you and how much is the fine anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Just tried to pay my toll fee on eflow, guess what? their web site isn't responding on the "pay a toll" page :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

cgwils wrote: »
    I also *genuinely* forgot to pay two weeks ago. Not sure what to do now. Didn't get anything in the post yet. Does anybody know how long it takes them to fine you and how much is the fine anyway?

I didn't bother paying either on 6th September and I just got the notice today 16th. If you went through it before 14th September then you only have to pay €3 but it says you still need to bring the letter to the shop so they can scan it.
    Wouldnt work in the shop, wouldn't work on the net and it doesnt work when you ring them, couldn't be arsed paying now at this stage!

Yeah, mine wouldn't scan in the shop either!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,708 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

fletch wrote: »
    Yeh and you just manually type in the Number of Toll Passages you wish to pay for. Surely they could have asystem whereby you could see how many tolls are due by your reg???

I went through the toll last week. The next day I went to pay for it online and I was met with that system. I disliked the fact that it doesn't show you what is due and I decided there and then not to pay and just see what will happen...

Well, what happens is this:

They send you a bill (several pages of wasted paper) telling you that you owe them 3 Euro a pop.
    And, whilst it's entirely within their rights, the won't charge you the extra 3 Euro a pop, for not paying on time, out of the goodness of their hearts.

So, for making a trip over the bridge and back, one would essentially owe them 12 Euro, were it not for their big heartedness! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Well, what happens is this:

They send you a bill (several pages of wasted paper) telling you that you owe them 3 Euro a pop.
    And, whilst it's entirely within their rights, the won't charge you the extra 3 Euro a pop, for not paying on time, out of the goodness of their hearts.

So, for making a trip over the bridge and back, one would essentially owe them 12 Euro, were it not for their big heartedness! :mad:
    Ah isn't that nice of them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Joe Duffy was talking about this today. Loads of people are being wrongly charged having not been anywhere near the place!

I wouldn't be surprised if someone without a car got a bill in the door! (Even without a reg, it seems likely that someone might be charged!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The problem is that when selling/buying a car no id/proof of address of any sort is needed. I could buy a car and register it to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Just signed up for a new account but I think I might have made a mistake.

I think I might have put myself down for a tag account by mistake. I've gone in afterwards and it doesn't tell me anywhere which sort of account I have.

It tells me I have no tags but that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

I went through the toll last week. The next day I went to pay for it online and I was met with that system. I disliked the fact that it doesn't show you what is due and I decided there and then not to pay and just see what will happen...

................been through it three times this week and like you I disliked the system since it doesn't say what is owed therefore you are paying them and I expect they will still send a letter requesting payment.

Its like their system is not all interlinked !

Anyway I havent paid yet so I guess I will just see what happens.

I also think that they figured people would volunteer their cars' details therefore manually building up their database for them. this hasn't happened and they are probably overwhelmed by it all.

I hope it all falls flat on their faces !

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Just got that 4 page letter in the post saying I have €3.00 to pay for using the M50 on the 12th... even though I already paid for it on the 13th?

As already said, their whole system is a shambles. So, whoever goes through the M50 will now receive a letter with 4 nicely printed sheets - even if they've paid?!?! Who can afford to do such a thing????

I too hope that it fails. Like someone said in the paper or the radio - and what of all the foreign cars that will never pay the toll?! They should open up a toll booth barrier system to catch them and therefore increase the amount of money they collect! hey wait a sec...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Just got that 4 page letter in the post saying I have €3.00 to pay for using the M50 on the 12th... even though I already paid for it on the 13th?

As already said, their whole system is a shambles. So, whoever goes through the M50 will now receive a letter with 4 nicely printed sheets - even if they've paid?!?! Who can afford to do such a thing????

I too hope that it fails. Like someone said in the paper or the radio - and what of all the foreign cars that will never pay the toll?! They should open up a toll booth barrier system to catch them and therefore increase the amount of money they collect! hey wait a sec...

Surely John Gormley will sort it out due to all the excess paper being used.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I wonder what the legal situation is for people who haven't been on the toll who get billed. If they just throw the letter in the bin and after many reminders etc they eventually get brought to court. Surely they should be under no legal obligation to prove their innocence to eflow before the court date?

In any system there will always be mistakes, but it also seems crazy that there's no "box" to tick on the form & send it back if you haven't been on the toll, so they can double check the footage. Also they could always have a web-site where you can just enter in the transaction number and they can double check the video. No its ireland you have to ring a phone number and hold on for 20 mins to talk to someone! Great use of man power that is :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

As I already posted this on the C&TD forum. Currently this automated monster is spitting out pages of hate mail left right and centre with false accusations and scare mongering tactics "to pay up or else" right across the nation.

Innocent motorists many of whom have never been near the place are getting threatened with legal action. With this system you are GUILTY until you can prove yourself innocent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,542 ✭✭✭✭L1011

As I already posted this on the C&TD forum. Currently this automated monster is spitting out pages of hate mail left right and centre with false accusations and scare mongering tactics "to pay up or else" right across the nation to innocent motorists many of whom have never been near the place. With this system you are GUILTY until you can prove yourself innocent.

And on the CT&D forum you were told to take it to Conspiracy Theories and stop spouting on CT&D... and Motors. So please do so.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

Just got that 4 page letter in the post saying I have €3.00 to pay for using the M50

Same here

MYOB wrote: »
    And on the CT&D forum you were told to take it to Conspiracy Theories and stop spouting on CT&D... and Motors. So please do so.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576
    What I have posted above is FACT. Innocent people are receiving thousands of automated threatening four page letters from the NRA that cannot be ignored for fear of prosecution. Please care to read other posts on this subject and stop trying to silence the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Went through on the 3rd Sep.Came off a long haul flight and after the 3hr drive home ,completely forgot to pay until the 5th Sep.
    On the second attempt got through, told them of the circumstances and they took payment of 3euro.
    All's well until last Wednesday (18th Sep). got that big 4page letter. Tried 8 times to get through on the eflow number with no success so I returned the letter and a note explaining the above and including the reference number I was given when I first payed the toll.
    Dont know what will happen next but the fact that they cant match up who has payed, even 11/12 days after payment, is a total farce.

BTW I only ever pass through a max of 4 times a year so having a tag is pointless given the admin fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Are they taking pics of the entire car or just homing in on the reg plates does anybody know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I got a 2nd 4 page letter there saying I owed them €10.20 for two trips. So that's 8 pages of wasted paper and 2 envelopes to tell me I owe them money that I don't.

After all the malarky with the van being the wrong weight, I checked what would happen on the Eflow site again and now it's coming up as the right weight (under 2t) so I'll give them a ring on Monday and see if that's that sorted.

cormie wrote: »
    I got a 2nd 4 page letter there saying I owed them €10.20 for two trips. So that's 8 pages of wasted paper and 2 envelopes to tell me I owe them money that I don't.
    I can only see one reason for sending out four pages of bull, and that is that the NRA bureaucrats are trying to pi**is off the greenys and those concerned about the environment and hoping that they will sway them over to supporting the use of electronic tagging which is of course paperless.

This is an appalling waste of paper and should be stopped immediately.

Sizzler wrote: »
    Are they taking pics of the entire car or just homing in on the reg plates does anybody know?
    Just DONT bring anyone in the car that your missus dosn't know about :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Just after checking my tag account on eFlows site and there are two entries of a different tag number,reg number box is emtpy on both entries,all my crossings have the reg and tag boxes filled in. Both times recorded I was not driving, unless I've started sleep driving:D but the toll charge on both was €1.65:confused::confused: What gets a charge of €1.65:confused:

Email sent off to them,should be interesting what they have to say about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DameLotus

The kiosk newsagents at the airport arrivals and departures both have payzone terminals

There is a way to pay online (but I only found this after trying to think of every combination of "e" and "something to do with cars :confused:" that I could Google based on an advertisment I'd heard on the radio).

The confusion for me is that it's clear enough about how to get the electronic passes you can buy in advance but not so clear on where to go to pay ASAP if you've used the Toll road without first having paid.

Here it is: https://csc.eflow.ie/

Go to Unpaid Toll. You enter your car reg number and how many times you have already been through the toll that you must pay for. There is a drop-down list for the vehicle category. It automatically calculates how much you owe. I entered my debit card details.

I hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

I posted a similar response in Green Issues but I was told by one of the EFLow call takers that around 10,000 had been sent out letters by mistake... As with other people, I received a 4 page doc trying to scare me, when I had paid the toll the day after. I had to call them twice to verify that everything was ok, and was told (regarding the letter) 'dont worry about it'. Terrible system.

DameLotus wrote: »
    You enter your car reg number and how many times you have already been through the toll that you must pay for.

That is the problem. What if you don't remember how many times you've been through the toll or which ones you have already paid for?

The system should show you the times and dates you passed through the toll that you haven't paid for yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Drax wrote: »
    I posted a similar response in Green Issues but I was told by one of the EFLow call takers that around 10,000 had been sent out letters by mistake... As with other people, I received a 4 page doc trying to scare me, when I had paid the toll the day after. I had to call them twice to verify that everything was ok, and was told (regarding the letter) 'dont worry about it'. Terrible system.

+1. Recieved the same today, looking for a €3 toll on the 12th september when I passed northbound.
    Im now waiting for another similar envelope for the southbound pass on the same date.

Had paid these by laser that evening.
    Now when you ring the 1890 number, and have listened to the autoattendant message, you are informed that there are no available operators to handle your call, and it hangs up on you.

What a load of sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Wow what a pathetic system. Doesn't even tell you the dates and times you've supposedly used the bridge. ROFL!

Eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

I think that the system is very good and very well designed on the whole, especially considering the budget. It's accurate and easy to use also - very efficient too. I look forward to driving on the M50 again.

Me arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

superjosh9, I thought you were their web master till I read down your post :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I've registered for the pre-payment thing with the tag, sent 3 emails to them, and no reply, no tag
    will be getting on the blower to them very soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Savman wrote: »
    Wow what a pathetic system. Doesn't even tell you the dates and times you've supposedly used the bridge. ROFL!
    In a way, yes, it is ridiculous, but maybe there's some kind of Data Protection thing going on here. If you're registered on the site for a video account, you can just look up all the times you crossed, but then you've had to log in with a user id and password. If they allowed the same for non-registered users, any tom, dick or harry who knew a reg no would be able to see when a random car passed through the M50, such as jealous husbands, suspicious employers etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

You can find out this info by ringing up, they'll tell you exactly what you owe. That's true Alun, although if they are sending 4 page letters to people maybe they could squeeze a little password into one of the pages addressed to the person the car is registered to. Would be simple enough I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Got my first toll billing in the post today...woot!
    As someone said, what a glorious waste of 4 pages of paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Kazd

I am so glad that I'm not the only one experiencing this. I came home from work yesterday to find that stupid threatening letter from eflow saying I had an unpaid toll and also been billed for that and the threat of €40 if i dont pay. The bill says the total to pay is €0????? :confused: Tried ringing them but cant get through and you can't hold it just says all operators are busy look on our website for info so u ahve to keep ringing! V annoying :mad: Oh and by the way I registered!!!! So they got a lovely email from me, surprise surprise no response. Also has anyone else noticed on their transaction history that if u enter search by reg, search by tag id or search by both that all different transactions come up! supposedly my car can go over and back through the toll in 11seconds one time and 14 seconds another time!!:mad::mad: I registered to post pay so now I am going to be charged for duplicate trips!! if you haven't checked I'd keep a close eye on it! My balance is also €27 but I have only used it 8 times so€2x8=€16. No explanation of where this figure came from!!:confused::mad: what the hell can i do about this??? Any help welcome :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I believe the NRA are meeting with a delegation of Fleet companies this afternoon to try and sort out the debacle with the on-line payment, registered vehicles being billed as non-registered vehicles etc.

Probably the guts of 20,000 vehicles involved between the companies I know will be there so hopefully the NRA may pay attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭geoff29

R.O.R wrote: »
    I believe the NRA are meeting with a delegation of Fleet companies this afternoon to try and sort out the debacle with the on-line payment, registered vehicles being billed as non-registered vehicles etc...

Hah, if you take that acronym to be National Rifle Association - then I think yes, the debacle will be sorted!!!

Sadly, I don't think the "National Roads Authority" will be able to clarify matters half as promptly...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

gyppo wrote: »
    +1. Recieved the same today, looking for a €3 toll on the 12th september when I passed northbound.
    Im now waiting for another similar envelope for the southbound pass on the same date.

Had paid these by laser that evening.
    Now when you ring the 1890 number, and have listened to the autoattendant message, you are informed that there are no available operators to handle your call, and it hangs up on you.

What a load of sh1te.

I had the dreaded letter today, also for 1 journey, and expect letter for return journey. I rang them gave them the reference number I was issued when I paid....shown paid should not have received the 4 pages of junk. Await another 4 pages of junk tomorrow fro return journey.

I also checked my bank account, the useless excuse for a company have taken the fee twice.

I know have to waste time and expense to recover the toll. This is a disgrace of a company. ef*ckup.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I got a bill yesterday for a trip southbound on the 13th. when the car was no where near the M50!
    Ringing them is a complete joke.. select options and then it just cuts you off.

Eventually got through and the guy was helpful and now have disputed charge.. They will ring me back....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

I bought one of the tolltags from Parkmagic in Athlone last week for €30 went to Dublin last Friday through the M4 tollbooth and M50 and returned Sunday and have been told that I have no credit.
    This is the account details on tolltag.ie:
    21/09/2008 22:34:51 Toll Charge M50 - Southbound €2.00 €0.00 €0.20
    21/09/2008 22:34:51 Usage Charge €0.20 €0.00 €0.00
    19/09/2008 13:41:19 Toll Charge M50 - Northbound €2.00 €0.00 €2.40
    19/09/2008 13:41:19 Usage Charge €0.20 €0.00 €2.20
    18/09/2008 21:49:38 Bonus Credit €0.00 €4.40 €4.40
    Their is no record of my trips through the M4 tollbooth.
    I only go to Dublin 3-4 times a year so I thought that this would be ideal for me but now I'm confused, is it €30 for the tag? I was told in the shop that I would have €30 worth of credit. Can anyone throw any light on this?
    If I have to pay €30 extra to use the toll booth I won't be happy.

You appear to have got the M4 trip for free; otherwise that seems right - the purely PAYG tag comes with 4.40 credit and its 2.20 a go on the Westlink (2EUR + 10%). You'll need to top up before it will work at all again.

MYOB wrote: »
    You appear to have got the M4 trip for free; otherwise that seems right - the purely PAYG tag comes with 4.40 credit and its 2.20 a go on the Westlink (2EUR + 10%). You'll need to top up before it will work at all again.

So I have to pay €25.60 for the pleasure of using the toll tag, this was not the impression I was given in the shop, I was informed (and anyone I was talking to since) that I would have €30 worth of credit. Otherwise this is an awfully expensive way for infrequent users to use the tollroads.
    This whole episode is shameful.

I tried setting up a tag account, but the system said that the account already existed (huh?)

So I emailed them all the details and after several days I got a response telling me to phone them. I tried several times and then was informed I should put all the details in an email to them!!!!!!!

eflow, you owe me 18 minutes of my life back please.
    And no, I won't email you again, see you in court.

patmac wrote: »
    So I have to pay €25.60 for the pleasure of using the toll tag, this was not the impression I was given in the shop, I was informed (and anyone I was talking to since) that I would have €30 worth of credit. Otherwise this is an awfully expensive way for infrequent users to use the tollroads.

Shop grossly misinformed you in that case, all the info is on tolltag's website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

patmac wrote: »
    Yeh you've bought a Pay as you Toll tolltag rather than the Pay as you Toll+

• Advertisement

fletch wrote: »
    Yeh you've bought a Pay as you Toll tolltag rather than the Pay as you Toll+

Well I rang tolltag.ie and in fairness I got through straight away and the chap Robin was very helpful. He offered me a full refund or the tolltag+ option of paying an extra €10 and so I will have €40 worth of credit (although I wasn't overly happy about the automatic top up of €20 when the account gets down to €12) which I went for in the end. I felt sorry for him as I wasn't the first with this complaint, maybe one of the mods could put this info on the opening sticky about the differences between tolltag and tolltag+ as I feel it could save people lots of grief later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

just noticed they added to their website the option to submit your informtion if you recevie a notice but you are already regiter and also if you receive a notice but you were never there.

Is on the home page on the right on "Notice Cancellation" or direct link to Cancellation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Slight error - moment of stupidity but I drove thro the M50 and then paid it online the next morn, however I got my reg wrong... anyone know what my options are?

what2do wrote: »
    Slight error - moment of stupidity but I drove thro the M50 and then paid it online the next morn, however I got my reg wrong... anyone know what my options are?
    Someone else has just got their account credited by 3.00 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Alternative number to the 1890 number for eFlow.

As found on the SayNoTo1890.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement