Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

bleach94 wrote: »
    Can anyone who's eaten in 14a tell me if it's worth trying?

Been there for lunch once. I thought it was decent. Tasty food, big portions & pleasant staff. Certainly worth trying but there are other places in Cork worth trying ahead of it (depending on what you're looking for, where you've already tried).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭whatever76

any reports on Ballymaloe for Saturday Lunch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭sporina

D'Agger wrote: »
    It's 50/50 what you get with 14a tbh

I've eaten there twice and enjoyed the food it has to be said, I did find the place fairly cramped however. I've also had one or two people state that they weren't overly impressed with it when they ate there.

It's worth trying at some point but if you have a list of places to try then I'm fairly certain there'll be better options available to you in the city.

oh there are way better places in the city to try believe me..

i have been there on a few occasions - its convenient and has something for anyone - thats the only pro

but last time i was there, one of the company i was in ordered tuna… when he was asked "so how is your meal?' he said "well, i ordered tuna but i am not sure what it is.." it looks like a roast piece of something alright, but not tuna,.

not been back since..

oh and i remembered having a goats cheese salad once with yogurt dressing - it was more a case of, yogurt salad with goats cheese - wayyy too much dressing…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

whatever76 wrote: »
    any reports on Ballymaloe for Saturday Lunch ?

Haven't been in ages, but is ballymaloe sunday lunch still the buffet setup?

If it is, that was really very good. I know some people think Ballymaloe overcharges for simple food grown locally, but I really like that traditional Irish simple food, with good ingredients, cooked well. It's not fancy-pants, it's just good.

If it's table service, they come around with seconds or thirds of any of the meats or fish you order, and everything else, (and you can ask for a bit of the beef if you've ordered the fish) so don't feel like you're jipped if your first serving at main course is small. just ask for more when they come around.

And the very best thing about ballymaloe, is the dessert trolley.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,979 ✭✭✭✭rob316

pwurple wrote: »
    Haven't been in ages, but is ballymaloe sunday lunch still the buffet setup?

If it is, that was really very good. I know some people think Ballymaloe overcharges for simple food grown locally, but I really like that traditional Irish simple food, with good ingredients, cooked well. It's not fancy-pants, it's just good.

If it's table service, they come around with seconds or thirds of any of the meats or fish you order, and everything else, (and you can ask for a bit of the beef if you've ordered the fish) so don't feel like you're jipped if your first serving at main course is small. just ask for more when they come around.

And the very best thing about ballymaloe, is the dessert trolley.

As my grandmother said to the server about the size. "You couldn't feed a man with that!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

AA Gill slated Ballymaloe a couple of months ago. He didnt bother to give it a proper review and instead did a write up of the place in the English Market, which he adored.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    AA Gill slated Ballymaloe a couple of months ago. He didnt bother to give it a proper review and instead did a write up of the place in the English Market, which he adored.

Yup, I read that.. twas last year some time I think. He complained about the layout of the car park, the stuff for sale in the shop, and the fact there were more women than men in the restaurant. Stuff wasn't spiced enough for him, and there were too many carrots.

He seemed really grouchy. Ballymaloe isn't for everyone, it has it's own style, but I like the simplicity of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭whatever76

Yup, I read that.. twas last year some time I think. He complained about the layout of the car park, the stuff for sale in the shop, and the fact there were more women than men in the restaurant. Stuff wasn't spiced enough for him, and there were too many carrots.

He seemed really grouchy. Ballymaloe isn't for everyone, it has it's own style, but I like the simplicity of it.

yea I read that too - have a voucher so just sussing out if anyone been there recently. I shall report back !!

whatever76 wrote: »
    yea I read that too - have a voucher so just sussing out if anyone been there recently. I shall report back !!

Oh I was there for a work thing a few weeks ago in the evening. Twas good. Just haven't been to lunch in yonks.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Heading to Cork tomorrow for a night. We're staying in Jury's and going to a football match in Turner's Cross at 8 and looking for somewhere to get something to eat beforehand (around 6.30). Somewhere in the vicinity of the hotel and stadium would be ideal. Any pubs around that area that do very nice pub grub? Or any other suggestions (not too pricey, any cuisine but not fast food)?

• Advertisement

Heading to Cork tomorrow for a night. We're staying in Jury's and going to a football match in Turner's Cross at 8 and looking for somewhere to get something to eat beforehand (around 6.30). Somewhere in the vicinity of the hotel and stadium would be ideal. Any pubs around that area that do very nice pub grub? Or any other suggestions (not too pricey, any cuisine but not fast food)?

Do you mean Jury's inn, or the River Lee Hotel (formerly Jurys). Two different areas of the city.

How are you getting to the match? Car, bus ? Can advise some stuff based on the route.
    Generally, I think the best pub grub in the city is in Gallaghers, on Maccurtain street/bridge street corner. That's near enough to jury's inn.

http://www.gallagherspubcork.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Do you mean Jury's inn, or the River Lee Hotel (formerly Jurys). Two different areas of the city.

How are you getting to the match? Car, bus ? Can advise some stuff based on the route.
    Generally, I think the best pub grub in the city is in Gallaghers, on Maccurtain street/bridge street corner. That's near enough to jury's inn.

http://www.gallagherspubcork.com/

Jury's Inn on Andersons Quay. We'll have the car but will probably leave it at the hotel so will be walking/taxi-ing.

Thanks for that, will check it out :)

Jury's Inn on Andersons Quay. We'll have the car but will probably leave it at the hotel so will be walking/taxi-ing.

Thanks for that, will check it out :)

Ah yeah, sure you've the whole city there. If you're up for something bigger, as you're in early... try Elbow Lane on oliver plunkett street. Steaks and beer in there mainly. Can get very busy later, but you've a good chance of a table at 6ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Finally got round to trying Brick Lane. Superb lunch menu, full of home comforts. I tried the roast chicken and stuffing ciabbata with red pepper relish - It was amazing. The potato bravas were were a great side dish. I'd happily have eaten another portion.

My friend had the chicken ceaser wrap which she devoured and said would happily order again. Great, prompt, friendly service and very reasonably priced. I paid roughly €10 for my meal and a drink which was great value.

I can't wait to go back and try it again. Someone at the table next to us got the Club sandwich and I was drooling looking at it. Great spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

I went to Brick Lane as well this week and was pretty pleased with it.

I had ribs which came with corn on the cob and patatas bravas (though they could just say small fries as it's got nothing to do with the Spanish version, but disregarding that) which was nice. Big portion, ribs were fall off the bone. My friends had chicken wings, steak sandwich (got rave reviews) and a burger. Everyone seemed overall pleased, only thing that wasn't our thing were the tornado potatoes with "house spices". They're basically crisps on a stick rather than the curlyfries we expected from the description and I can't say they felt spiced in any way, kind of disappointing.

Great service and alright prices, good selection of beer as well. Very likely to go back.

Do the patatas bravas have a super hot chilli sauce on them? Looking for a good hot version of them in cork for a while. The translation is Brave potatoes afterall

Nope, they are just little bits of fried potatoes.

nerwen wrote: »
    Nope, they are just little bits of fried potatoes.

Pfft!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Is Coq n Bull nice for dinner! We just called in for a snack the other day and I thought twas nice.

Milly33 wrote: »
    Is Coq n Bull nice for dinner! We just called in for a snack the other day and I thought twas nice.

It's a posher noisy expensive chipper. Grand like, for expensive burgers where you don't want to hear your companions talk.

• Advertisement

mmm so loud! Perhaps not then I don't mind a bit busy but I want to be able to hear... thanks pwurple...

mmm so loud! Perhaps not then I don't mind a bit busy but I want to be able to hear... thanks pwurple...

Bear in mind I'm an old fogey... ;)

I think my main problem with it is it's inconsistency. I've been a fair few times now (more than I'd chose to, mainly because it's popular for bigger groups/work dos) and only once has the food been amazing. Mostly it's been average. Occasionally it's been terrible.

And my god is it loud. Also in the fogey club I guess. :p

im sure yer not, or at least young at heart haha.. No that all sounds good I hate loud places, the last one was East Village and I hated it..

Culio thanks for the tip off. It was during the day we went in so hard to judge it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Only been to Coq Bull once and I really enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. It's a loud bustling restaurant but the four of us had no problem chatting away. I enjoyed it and would go again but it's not a place I'd be rushing back to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Went to Brick Lane today. The place is nice for sure. The service was horribly slow for lunch time though - it took 35 mins to get a steak sandwich (and that was when there was only two other tables waiting that I could see)! If they don't pick it up they will fail. I'll definitely give them another chance but if its as slow, I won't go back. I will leave it a few weeks anyway as it's probably just growing pains.

The Steak Sandwich was ok, not great. It came on some nice bread but the bread was soaked through with sauce so it was soggy and was disintegrating in the hand. There was also much too much pesto, which wasn't great.

The 'Potatoe Bravas' thing is bizarre as well. They can't be called Bravas at all and it puzzles me why they are? Strange.

I listened to the waitress trying to explain the 'tornado' chips to some customers which was funny as well - she couldn't and gave up :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Had tapas in Iberian Way/La Tasca this evening. We had 6 dishes between us including Empanada, Pimientos de Padrón, Croquetas de Jamón, Garlic Prawns, Slow cooked spicy chicken & some type of deep fried Cod fritters washed down with a nice bottle of Albariño.

The food was delicious, best Spanish food I've eaten in Ireland will definitely be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

northgirl wrote: »
    Had tapas in Iberian Way/La Tasca this evening. We had 6 dishes between us including Empanada, Pimientos de Padrón, Croquetas de Jamón, Garlic Prawns, Slow cooked spicy chicken & some type of deep fried Cod fritters washed down with a nice bottle of Albariño.

The food was delicious, best Spanish food I've eaten in Ireland will definitely be back.

Where's this place?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Ooh, I picked up a few deli bits in there recently and they were lovely. Haven't eaten in it yet, but glad to hear it's good!

It's on Douglas St, Karmella, near Fionbarra pub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Malari wrote: »
    Ooh, I picked up a few deli bits in there recently and they were lovely. Haven't eaten in it yet, but glad to hear it's good!

It's on Douglas St, Karmella, near Fionbarra pub.

It's well worth the trip but you'll need to book in advance we were really lucky to get a table last night; the number is on their Facebook page.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement