Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

wonski wrote: »
    Try to get one from Meteor - these are unbranded and very likely without the simlock (my desireHD came without one). Would have to check One, but have no spare sim card...

Im in contract with emobile for another 5 months hence the need for unlocked.
    Cant wait to get rid of them, they want me to pay full PAYG price for a HTC One despite still being in contract with them.
    My wife contract ends next month and she wont be staying with them either.

Also just to add , be careful of a certain seller on donedeal.
    He has two phones for sale with exact same description ie unwanted gift one for 450 other for 470, i rang to enquire and he stated as such that was unwanted gift.
    I only realised he had two up for sale claiming both were unwanted gifts from his mother, when i challenged him about this via text message he didnt reply and within minutes one phone was taken down but its back up this morning and the other phone is taken down, very dodgy , be warned people!

I sold my nokia 920 on done deal but got 4 text messages asking me to give permission for paypal payment with a link provided, no mention of the item for sale, no reference whatsoever,obviously people trying to gain access to my paypal, again be warned people!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Dcully wrote: »
    Im in contract with emobile for another 5 months hence the need for unlocked.
    Cant wait to get rid of them, they want me to pay full PAYG price for a HTC One despite still being in contract with them.
    My wife contract ends next month and she wont be staying with them either.

Recently paid 29euro with 49/month (2 years contract unfortunately).
    Great price considering I had to pay 169 euro for DesireHD ~3 years ago with similiar price plan and lengthy contract.
    And yes - they won't give you a discount unless you have a month-2 left on contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Regarding Warranty....

Ive asked this before but never got around to sending the phone away. I've never availed of any type of warranty in my life so I'm a bit lost. I bought a HTC One on adverts around the start of July. I bought it knowing there was a fault with the top speaker. It's very fuzzy whenever playing audio through it. It was fine, I didn't really mind it. But it's gotten worse week by week to the point where I cant hear people during phonecalls. Never bothered me too much since I dont often have phone calls but I know I need it fixed eventually.

Because I bought the phone second-hand I have no receipt. So I'm not sure what that means as far as warranty is concerned. Also, I'm not sure if warranty will cover repairs and what the criteria for a free repair is etc. I'm not sure if the damage was caused by the previous owner.. there arent any signs that is was, it does same like a hardware fault. Basically my questions are: Am I covered by warranty even though I have no proof of purchase or didn't buy it new? Do ye think I can send it away and have it repaired or receive a replacement for free? Or would I be wasting my time and just payment for shipping to find out I'll have to pay for repairs myself? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Using Nova Launcher but looking for a decent calendar to take up a full home screen, really liked the old stock one on my Desire, have downloaded 5 or 6 free ones so far today and none fit the bill, the best 2 in terms of layout look like I made them in paint :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

pm1977x wrote: »
    Using Nova Launcher but looking for a decent calendar to take up a full home screen, really liked the old stock one on my Desire, have downloaded 5 or 6 free ones so far today and none fit the bill, the best 2 in terms of layout look like I made them in paint :confused:

Have you tried the Stock Google Calender? Think its just called Calender on the play store.

On a side note, having switched to Nova Launcher, is there anything you miss from Sense launcher? Blinkfeed? The Sense Widgets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Have you tried the Stock Google Calender? Think its just called Calender on the play store.

On a side note, having switched to Nova Launcher, is there anything you miss from Sense launcher? Blinkfeed? The Sense Widgets?

Thanks, yeah tried that but couldn't get it to fill a home screen - something to do with Nova maybe?

Don't miss Blinkfeed so far, it was handy for the odd article I would otherwise have missed, but generally didn't like the look of it, Nova feels faster and quite like how easy it is to customise, particularly the swipeable dock - ie. multiple docks accessed by swiping left or right. So far all the old widgets I was using are working grand so don't miss Sense

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭SteM

If you're looking for a launcher you should give Action Launcher a look. The Shutter and Cover functions really enhance Andriod imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Ive had a HTC one for 7 monhs now, and whatever coating is on the screen has completely worn off on the center of the screen. Even when the screen is fully cleaned its visible where the coating has worn off.

Anyone see this before? I had a htc desire and iphone before this and never had this problem. its quite frustrating as where the coating has come off is very visible all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

I have a HTC One x on the 3 network & theres a system update asking to be done this morning.
    Anyone know is it an operating system update, before I start & can't go back :)

Edit. Its the sense update..forgotten it was coming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

lads again ill ask how do i get to update the HTC ONE if i dont have the option to in the about section in settings .... i get the "this rom is custom and not to be distributed" yada yada at the boot up screen on the phone has this got something to do with it

1229994_10200805519646761_1139031177_n.jpg

• Advertisement

moggser wrote: »
    lads again ill ask how do i get to update the HTC ONE if i dont have the option to in the about section in settings .... i get the "this rom is custom and not to be distributed" yada yada at the boot up screen on the phone has this got something to do with it

1229994_10200805519646761_1139031177_n.jpg

Did you buy second hand? Seems you have unlocked bootloader. Have you checked what software version you have installed?

yeah i did ...think the last guy who had it was messing round with it ... there is 4.2.2 on there and the kernal is 3.4.10-g445d072root@abm013#1SMP PREEMPT

yeah i did ...think the last guy who had it was messing round with it ... there is 4.2.2 on there and the kernal is 3.4.10-g445d072root@abm013#1SMP PREEMPT

Well you're already running a 4.2.2 ROM so don't see much point in returning to stock just to get back to what already have.

sound but was wondering about further updates and so on if i dont have the option to do it what do i do ?

sound but was wondering about further updates and so on if i dont have the option to do it what do i do ?

Just download the latest ROM from XDA and flash. You would get the latest versions faster than if your phone is stock and you had to wait for updates.

PM me if you need any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,804 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anybody else still not get 4.2.2 ? I'm still stuck on 4.1.2 on my htc one and when I search up for software updates it say there are none available. I'm with vodafone if that matters ?

Just bought a htc one on adverts, lovely looking device but i cant get mobile data to work.
    Any ideas?
    It was an o2 phone but unlocked it tonight, my sim is emobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭pah

Just bought a htc one on adverts, lovely looking device but i cant get mobile data to work.
    Any ideas?
    It was an o2 phone but unlocked it tonight, my sim is emobile.

Do a factory reset. I had an option to install settings from sim card when setting mine up. It set up all the correct apn etc for Internet

pah wrote: »
    Do a factory reset. I had an option to install settings from sim card when setting mine up. It set up all the correct apn etc for Internet

No joy :(

You might need to enter APN etc manually. What settings are there now?

• Advertisement

wonski wrote: »
    You might need to enter APN etc manually. What settings are there now?

Found settings on emobile site, i think im sorted , will update if not.
    Thanks guys, stunning phone, sold my week old Nokia 920 which was a great phone too but while i like WP8 i missed android.
    Delighted with this beast so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Anyone having issues with the Htc one rebooting itself randomly ?

Any suggestions for a cover?
    Havent a chance to read all this thread yet :P
    An otter box cover came with it but its very bulky and its purple.
    Also does this thing need screen protectors?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

None :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I'm using a cheap as chips clear S-line case, one of the rubber type ones. Not a huge fan of cases but I really don't want to scratch the phone. I don't use a case when I'm at home or certain places but I'd always have it going to work and heading out for the night.

I keep thinking I've scratched the back as it seems to scuff/mark quite easily but they just wipe off, not sure what it is :-/

Last time I dropped the phone it was when putting it in the cover. Too good looking phone to hide it. Not to mention these "flaps" look funny when making calls. I do tend to keep phones for ages (2-3 years), so "resale" value doesn't bother me to much. Scratching the phone doesn't bother me anymore. Part of the ownership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭brinks_18476

Signal strength.

I can go from full 5 bar signal strength to none to anything in between when my phone is in the same position on my desk. It keeps fluctuating. It's a nightmare when I am trying to surf net. Sometimes it even says no sim card.
    Anyone else have this? I'm with meteor.

Btw is 3G OR H the fastest data?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Signal strength.

I can go from full 5 bar signal strength to none to anything in between when my phone is in the same position on my desk. It keeps fluctuating. It's a nightmare when I am trying to surf net. Sometimes it even says no sim card.
    Anyone else have this? I'm with meteor.

Thanks

You might be just on the edge of 2 cells (I say this as you mention 3G and H) and your phone keeps switching from a good 3G signal (5 bars) to a bad H signal (no bars) or visa versa.

Quick guide to speed in ascending order.

G - GPRS
    E - Edge
    3G - 3G
    H - HSDPA or HSDPA+ or whatever they are bs-ing about these days :-)

If I'm in a spot like this and really need to get a stable connection I manually set it to the 3G signal until I get whatever I want done.

Sounds like a bit of bother but at least you can work. This is not a specific issue of the phone by the way more network related.

This will be an issue if the location is one where you are based a lot (home / work)

Of course it might also be a hardware issue but if it only happens in htis location its more likely to be network related.

As an aside one area where my phone is unusable on data is in CItywest on VF.. No coverage at the desk ggrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

H is HSPA, much much faster than 3G. Can peak at 22 MB/s (not likely though)

• Advertisement

Too good looking phone to hide it

Video reviews,photographs dont come anywhere near doing it justice.
    It not until its in your hand you appreciate how stunning it is.
    Apart from some people maybe finding blink feed annoying [i love it] how can anyone buy a galaxy s4 before this?

Advertisement