Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Enix covering all their bases there. 3DS version for Japan and PS4 version for the West (I imagine Sony really wants to get more JRPGs on the console to broaden that software range). I'd rather play the 3DS version myself but it's more likely we will get the PS4 version. PS4 version doesn't look that great to me, it reminds me of the Kingdom Hearts 3 footage from E3 were it is very obviously an Unreal game and has lost the Cartoon look of the originals, I'd rather it stuck closer to the still stunning DQ8 style.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The NX announcement is kind of weird, seems there's still a strong connection between Enix and Nintendo or else maybe they see the NX as the last hope of getting a home console to do well in Japan with the PS4 flopping. The fact that DQ11 is coming to 3DS means that there's not going to be a rush to get the PS4 version in Japan. Still Sony and Nintendo seem to have washed their hands of the series after the DQ remakes and Monsters failed so badly in the West (which is unfair, piracy of the DS is what killed them more than anything). Sony might be more willing to give it a push in the West and are desperate to offer more than the usually 3rd party triple A games to broaden the PS4's appeal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I find the 3DS-ified Chibi art style grating at this point, too many games have used it and it's a technical compromise without much artistic potential or character. Not sure the bottom screen will amount to anything more substantial than a nostalgic gimmick, seems weird having the same game playing out in two different art styles the whole time.

The dual (or tri, eventually) approach makes sense though, and allows them to hit the necessary markets without having to solely rely on the lowest-specced hardware. Hopefully the PS4 version will achieve a more detailed look without forgetting the vibrant, colourful Dragon Quest aesthetic.

The nostalgic art style for 3DS makes sense in Japan. The game is one of the few that sells to the 20+ market in Japan and they are buying it for nostalgia. The 3DS version is the one they'll be going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The Legend of Legacy will be getting a EU release in Q1 2016, looking forward to getting it, the story is paper thin but it is quite challenging and has great gameplay.

• Advertisement

Also has the most generic name ever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Was DQXI announced for the west? If not I assume it's likely/certain to make it here?

I'm really craving a traditional RPG experience and I love this series.

Was DQXI announced for the west? If not I assume it's likely/certain to make it here?

I'm really craving a traditional RPG experience and I love this series.

No announcement and it's not set in stone considering Nintendo and Squaresoft have passed on localising DQ Monsters Joker 3, and the remakes of Monsters 1 and 2 and VII and VIII. Still DQ11 has the best chance of being localised but I heard Square are basing the decision to localise based on sales of the Dynasty Warriors/DQ cross over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

There's no reason to bother with a ps4 game if it wasn't coming out in the west so I'd say we'll be getting that version at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Should I get FFX remaster for PS4?

Can barely remember playing it on PS2, but don't remember being overly impressed.

• Advertisement

Played through the game recently and I don't see how I loved it so much when it came out. It's a good game but it's hardly earth shattering and the random battles and linearity really date it. If you weren't impressed the first time it's not going to change your mind.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Should I get FFX remaster for PS4?

Can barely remember playing it on PS2, but don't remember being overly impressed.

I hated it when I first played on ps2 but got it for vita and loved it :confused:

Loved FF X when it came out, played it again a few months back and it did not have the same impact, still a solid game though.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Played through the game recently and I don't see how I loved it so much when it came out. It's a good game but it's hardly earth shattering and the random battles and linearity really date it. If you weren't impressed the first time it's not going to change your mind.

Totally agree. Nostalgia does funny things, I loved the game the first time but playing it today feels like a chore.

The worst is the end game stuff. Its just grinding in the arena and exploiting it. The celestial weapons are all got by doing minigames and not by using the games mechanics. I thought the end game of FF7 was a bit crappy but at least the extra bosses can be fun to figure out and the it doesn't over do the grinding.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

playing FF TYpe 0 HD atm, man its psp roots really hold it back, they should have fully remade it but oh well

I would work a lot better as a PS Vita remake, it's made for handheld and the multiplayer as a big feature of the game.

I have been reading up on Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky today, it seems quite interesting and you can see Morimotos touch in the screenshots, no western release announced yet, but it is still early days.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »
    I have been reading up on Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky today, it seems quite interesting and you can see Morimotos touch in the screenshots, no western release announced yet, but it is still early days.

What platform?

Lost dimension came today so looking forward too that, was watching videos of it on youtube , reminds me valkyrie chronicles kind of.

What platform?

Lost dimension came today so looking forward too that, was watching videos of it on youtube , reminds me valkyrie chronicles kind of.

PS4 and Vita.

• Advertisement

Final Fantasy Explorers is getting a EU release on the 29th of January.

Some more on Dragon Quest XI from Yuji Hori.
    Please tell us your role in Dragon Quest XI, Mr. Horii.

Horii: “I took on a supervisor-like role starting with Dragon Quest X, but I’m back on the scene in full force for Dragon Quest XI. I’m really shepherding it from start to finish, beginning with scenario creation. I want to also be involved in the final optimizations of the battles, etc.”

You guys also revealed the logo…

“The logo gives off the impression that we’re turning back to Dragon Quest I, but the dragon in the background is actually facing in the opposite direction from the Dragon Quest I logo. It’s been a long time since we had the number behind the title, as well. [Editor’s Note: The last Dragon Quest title to have the number behind the logo was Dragon Quest III.] In many ways, it is a sign that we’re returning to our origins, while still evolving. It takes the idea of Dragon Quest I, but we’re beginning anew with Dragon Quest XI.”

What’s the reason you’ve chosen to make Dragon Quest XI for these two platforms?

“Well, we knew wanted as many people as possible to be able to play it. We’d like people to be able to really settle in and play on a console, but at the same time it was great to have so many people playing Dragon Quest IX when it came out on a handheld, so we were really torn over which system to put it on. In the end, we just said, ‘Well, why don’t we just make it for both platforms?!’ and kicked off the project. We thought about what style would be best for each platform, and the results are what we have now. It’s pretty interesting that you can play the latest game in 2D pixel form, right? Of course, you can fully enjoy the story of Dragon Quest XI even in this mode.”

Horii on the PlayStation 4 Version

“The beautiful images, the sense of space… it’s all just amazing. For example, you can clearly see people and monsters who are still way off in the distance. The idea is to give players the sense that the world is there, and in motion.”

Horii on the 3DS Version

“At the start of the adventure, there will be 2D classic events on the bottom screen, and 3D events that unfold on the top screen. Taking full advantage of Nintendo 3DS’s capabilities, we’re pursuing a sense of fun that is unique to Nintendo 3DS.”

Horii on the Protagonist

“His background and everything has already been decided, but…the full details are still secret (laughs). But…he’s a cool hero, you know. You have Toriyama-sensei’s design, so use your imagination.”

There's rumours of a FF12 remake at the moment,mtheyve composer at a FF concert let it slip although he might have made a mistake. I didn't like the game the first time but would welcome the chance to give it another go.

Id love it an ff12 remake and if they could bring grandia 2 to ps4 that would be great too :p

Id love it an ff12 remake and if they could bring grandia 2 to ps4 that would be great too :p

Just a get a PC it's where they are all headed :P

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just a get a PC it's where they are all headed :P

I still want them released on console :pac:

Don't think I'm really interested in FF12 if all they do is an FFX style update. I enjoyed it at the time but I've no desire to play it again really. If they update the gameplay in some manner then maybe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Don't think I'm really interested in FF12 if all they do is an FFX style update. I enjoyed it at the time but I've no desire to play it again really. If they update the gameplay in some manner then maybe.

I'd be interested in playing the International Zodiac Job System version though. I quite liked FFXII though the spell queue ruined the battle system IMO.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

The changes to the zodiac job version are meant to make the battle system a hell of a lot better and if there is a remake that will be the one we are getting.

• Advertisement

Advertisement