Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The SPIN Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

I don't think she was but changed her name anyway, it's still common enough more-so UK and American stations though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 panic2000

No more cool names anymore...you need to be born with a gpod radio name.lets not confuse the postman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

Common knowledge, Wikipedia would easily alert you to this.

You don't think Steve K is his real name either do you? Pirate days they all changed their names.

I'd say his first name is Steve anyway, like Andy Mac from Beat (his real name is Andy Mc Closkey).

As for wikipedia, its a djs bible.....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

gavindowd wrote: »
    I'd say his first name is Steve anyway, like Andy Mac from Beat (his real name is Andy Mc Closkey).

Was he always Steve K on air? Andy Mac was Beat Drive with Andy McCloskey at the beginning anyway, not sure when there was a name change. Same in Cork sure with Dave Mac and Stevie G.

Yeah but Andy Mac is presumable for him considering it's only Andy Mc Closkey.

marno21 wrote: »
    Was he always Steve K on air? Andy Mac was Beat Drive with Andy McCloskey at the beginning anyway, not sure when there was a name change. Same in Cork sure with Dave Mac and Stevie G.

Yeah he's been Steve K since his early pirate days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Brilliant stuff from Brian & Dara earlier. They were using clips from a conversation Ryan & Tracy had this morning and bleeped out bits of it to make it innuendo-ridden. Hope they put it on the podcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

Check out the spoiler below, not sure if many of you know....
    Nikki Hayes' real name is Eimear O' Keeffe

I haven't read back on the thread so I may be asking a stupid question but why does it matter what her real name is?

Afaik some people in radio in general had to change their names on air because when they started presenting they were also working in sales and couldn't be seen to be on air as well as in sales cos then favouritism of one company arguments start blah blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Brilliant stuff from Brian & Dara earlier. They were using clips from a conversation Ryan & Tracy had this morning and bleeped out bits of it to make it innuendo-ridden. Hope they put it on the podcast.

to go off topic for a second but Ray Foley on 98FM did something similar with Cheryl's Fight for this love... bleeped out Fight so it sounded like she was saying

" we gotta f*cK for this love..... if it's worth having then it's its work f*cking for.. we gotta fck f*ck f*ck for this love" was funny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

http://blog.marketing.ie/?p=12004

Well things are looking well for Spin 103.8 I guess.

soc160 wrote: »
    http://blog.marketing.ie/?p=12004

Well things are looking well for Spin 103.8 I guess.

Wow what an amazing achievement to be nominated alongside stations with such recognised brilliance as BBC Radio 1. It shows how far SPIN have come and that they have become pioneers in CHR radio for young people.

Nick Kay the Aussie was on South West yesterday.. didn't hear but there was status on fbook saying he was new

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ryan2me

there is a new newsreader on SPIN.. his name is Conor.. he sounds hot :D

Ryan2me wrote: »
    there is a new newsreader on SPIN.. his name is Conor.. he sounds hot :D

Heard him again this evening. He's quite good (not sure about hot though!)

How long have they had the problem with the SPIN website, Steve K has been playing Little Mix - Wings non-stop for the last couple of months!

Surely its an easy fix....

• Advertisement

How long have they had the problem with the SPIN website, Steve K has been playing Little Mix - Wings non-stop for the last couple of months!

No no... Steve K has been playing Little Mix - Wings non-stop for the last couple of months.

Haha yeah I'm surprised it has gone unfixed this long. I also don't like the way you can't see the schedule for the rest of the week, only on a day by day basis. I'd also like if their website amended the schedule if a presenter is filling in for another slot.
    Also, Sunday Breakfast is still a show according to the website even though it hasn't existed for nearly 3 months....

Off topic but the Phantom Media Player has been promising "listen back" feature since I can remember, no progress of yet.

soc160 wrote: »
    Off topic but the Phantom Media Player has been promising "listen back" feature since I can remember, no progress of yet.

Phantom and SPIN both use the same media player. I'm surprised neither of them have a "Listen Back" feature yet. I don't listen to Phantom but SPIN shows such as Fully Charged, The SPIN, The Zoo Crew, First Play, Resistance, Plan B, Club Educate and We Love Movies would all be worth making available on an on demand service.

Nick Kay was doing Saturday Breakfast this morning. He's really starting to grow on me and I LOVE his accent.

• Advertisement

......and Nick was on this morning because Riyadh is doing SPIN Hits instead of Shona Ryan this afternoon.

Paul's off but surprisingly, Dara Quilty is covering. Nice choice.

Sad I missed that actually, doing 10 SPIN hit's is a strange one.

Sad I missed that actually, doing 10 SPIN hit's is a strange one.

I was surprised to hear him but he was great. He tried to call Brian and made a bit of a joke of it when he didn't answer. He was brilliant at getting some of his personality into the links.
    I much prefer Dara on his own. As I've said before, I'd love it if SPIN got a BAI exemption from doing a talk show (like Beat and iRadio), moved TRL to 12.45, re-instated The Lock-In with Dara at 8.45 and moved Lauren to The Zoo Crew. Only my opinion of course.

I was surprised to hear him but he was great. He tried to call Brian and made a bit of a joke of it when he didn't answer. He was brilliant at getting some of his personality into the links.
    I much prefer Dara on his own. As I've said before, I'd love it if SPIN got a BAI exemption from doing a talk show (like Beat and iRadio), moved TRL to 12.45, re-instated The Lock-In with Dara at 8.45 and moved Lauren to The Zoo Crew. Only my opinion of course.

Only thing with TRL at 12:45 during the day it's a very 15-18 year old thing cruising around requesting a song thing and with people in school it may not work, again my opinion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I'd love it if SPIN got a BAI exemption from doing a talk show (like Beat and iRadio),

Correct me if I am wrong but would its the radio stations decision weather or not to have talk shows. Its the licence type they and they can look for it to be changed. I agree that "The Spin" is a little dull.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong but would its the radio stations decision weather or not to have talk shows. Its the licence type they and they can look for it to be changed. I agree that "The Spin" is a little dull.

I may be wrong on this but I'm pretty sure SPIN, Beat, iradio etc. have the same licence type and the latter two have applied for an exemption from the talk show obligation. I don't know why SPIN haven't done the same.

Meanwhile, Becki always gets the night before a bank holiday off so Riyadh is doing TRL tonight.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I don't think Beat applied for a talk show exempetion. Around December 1st there was a post on here saying the current affairs amount was reduced from 20% to 10%. Before that, Beat was disgraceful with the amount of news that it had, it was obviously having extra news broadcasts instead of a talk show. There was 10 minutes of news per hour in the evening during the drive show and a 30 minute news roundup at the end of the show. That was around 1 hour of news per 3 hours of programming during drivetime. Now there is around 30 minutes in total across the three hours.

marno21 wrote: »
    I don't think Beat applied for a talk show exempetion. Around December 1st there was a post on here saying the current affairs amount was reduced from 20% to 10%. Before that, Beat was disgraceful with the amount of news that it had, it was obviously having extra news broadcasts instead of a talk show. There was 10 minutes of news per hour in the evening during the drive show and a 30 minute news roundup at the end of the show. That was around 1 hour of news per 3 hours of programming during drivetime. Now there is around 30 minutes in total across the three hours.

They still have all the news and havn't cut it.

Beat still have news during the evening shows at 15.50, 16.20, 16.50, 17.20, 17.50 and 18.30 (approx. 25 mins).

They still have all the news and havn't cut it.

Beat still have news during the evening shows at 15.50, 16.20, 16.50, 17.20, 17.50 and 18.30 (approx. 25 mins).
    There's no news at 16:20 or 17:20. The 18:30 news bulletin starts at 18:40 now and usually is over at 18:55. The 16:50 news bulletin now starts at 16:55, and there's no advert break after it.

• Advertisement

I am almost certain there is a 16.20 and 17.20, will have to listen and see on Tuesday.

I am almost certain there is a 16.20 and 17.20, will have to listen and see on Tuesday.
    There was, not anymore tho :) After the six in the mix at 4 there's an ad break and it's just straight back to music. Sounds way better cause Andy Mac isn't rushing links to try and squeeze music in when there's no news on.

No Becki tonight so Martin Guilfoyle is covering TRL.

Cover this week : Riyadh was doing The Big Handbag last night, he did TRL on Monday (Becki was back on Tuesday) and Cooper covered Steve K yesterday afternoon.

Just saw that Steve K has been at SPIN for an amazing 12 years now. I think it was Nikki Hayes who posted a photo of the St. Patrick's Day schedule in 2001 and SPIN Hits with Steve K was still at 2:45-6:45. All these years later, his show still sounds great. It will be weird when he does eventually leave. I wonder when that will be.........

Just saw that Steve K has been at SPIN for an amazing 12 years now. I think it was Nikki Hayes who posted a photo of the St. Patrick's Day schedule in 2001 and SPIN Hits with Steve K was still at 2:45-6:45. All these years later, his show still sounds great. It will be weird when he does eventually leave. I wonder when that will be.........

SPIN launched in 2002..... :P

SPIN launched in 2002..... :P

I just realised that! He's been there for nearly 11 years then. Still a fantastic milestone. :)

Nick K or Nick Karkazis covering for Nikki Hayes today..

He has a Soundcloud

The Oz accent sounds cool on the radio.

Nick K or Nick Karkazis covering for Nikki Hayes today..

He has a Soundcloud

The Oz accent sounds cool on the radio.

He's really great!

Cool accent and great presenter for 10 SPIN Hits format

He's really great!

Cool accent and great presenter for 10 SPIN Hits format

This. I LOVE his accent, missed him this morning unfortunately but the bits I've caught of him previously has sounded really good. Hopefully he continues to get more prolific cover slots.

Cooper is in for Steve K this afternoon on SPIN Hits. I would have preferred Nick to be on now. Cooper's ok but he mistimes his links and crashes the jingles a lot. They probably picked him because he's a club DJ and he really gets into 10 Spin Hits In The Mix (see SPIN TV :p ) but surely they could have picked someone better to cover.

• Advertisement

he's a club DJ and he really gets into 10 Spin Hits In The Mix (see SPIN TV :p )

I presume 10 SPIN Hits in the mix are all songs with the same BPM and similar key segued with the playout system.....

Or maybe the whole 40 minutes of 10 SPIN Hits in the mix is produced on Pro Tools/Ableton before the show....

Does anyone have the answer? - because I doubt the presenter does any 'mixing'

10 SPIN Hits In The Mix is pre-loaded as a whole file into the playout system before the show and then I would assume the presenter is given the intro and outro cues to talk-over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

heybaby wrote: »

I could be mistaken but I think it's Michael Brett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I could be mistaken but I think it's Michael Brett

You're not mistaken .. It was Michael Brett. Am hearing some interesting names being linked with the position...

10 SPIN Hits In The Mix is pre-loaded as a whole file into the playout system before the show and then I would assume the presenter is given the intro and outro cues to talk-over.
    It's definately not played out "normally" anyway cause the song names don't show up on the radio screen via the stream when 10 in the mix is on..

Do the DJs get any choice over the 10 in the Mix tunes or is that fully playlisted too?

(I noticed on the Spin SW site the names of the songs don't show while Nikki Hayes is on, I assume due to the networking and it's played out from Dublin and delivered down by ISDN or whatever?)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Bard wrote: »
    some interesting names being linked with the position...

Dont come out with such stupid statements, are we to believe that you are the man in the know and that we should kiss your ass to tell us?!

Dont come out with such stupid statements, are we to believe that you are the man in the know and that we should kiss your ass to tell us?!

You can feel free to believe whatever you like :)

You clearly don't know me, which is fine. If you did, you'd know that I have been involved in radio for a while and I know plenty of people in it... and yes I have heard some interesting names being linked to the job, one in particular whom I really hope gets it.

Yeah, seriously what a stupid statement to come out with...You know no more than anyone else.

Stop spreading rumours you fool!

Seriously? Your first post and you use it to abuse me?

Clearly I DO know more than some people. I know people in the business who are applying for the job. It wouldn't be very nice of me to actually name them on a public site without their permission though, would it?

Oh and what rumours exactly have I spread, anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Uxbridge

You clearly don't know me, which is fine. If you did, you'd know that I have been involved in radio for a while and I know plenty of people in it... and yes I have heard some interesting names being linked to the job, one in particular whom I really hope gets it.

Hate to break it to you but answering phones for Niall Boylan is hardly going to make you an industry insider and just because you know of people applying for the job it doesn't necessarily mean they have a hope in hell of getting it. Anybody can apply for a job!

Uxbridge wrote: »
    Hate to break it to you but answering phones for Niall Boylan is hardly going to make you an industry insider and just because you know of people applying for the job it doesn't necessarily mean they have a hope in hell of getting it. Anybody can apply for a job!

Well first off, break whatever you like to me... I've got nothing to do with Niall Boylan's show.

Secondly no - not just anyone will be applying for that job. The requirements are very specific, particularly regarding the length of the time applicants need to have been in a successful radio programming position.

Do people really have to be so cynical & ignorant and call my credibility or credentials into question just because I say I've heard a couple of very interesting names linked with the job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Well first off, break whatever you like to me... I've got nothing to do with Niall Boylan's show.

Secondly no - not just anyone will be applying for that job. The requirements are very specific, particularly regarding the length of the time applicants need to have been in a successful radio programming position.

Do people really have to be so cynical & ignorant and call my credibility or credentials into question just because I say I've heard a couple of very interesting names linked with the job?

Totally agree with Bard on this. There are plenty of anoraks on here who love radio but arent actually employed in the industry, but equally there are also industry people on here, who based on the intimate nature of the industry need to be careful with information they may know at a given point in time, whether that information ends up being accurate or not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement